In denial about metric vs premium

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
86 replies to this topic

NemesisStar #41 Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:49 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3 battles

View PostArthur_Dayne, on 27 February 2014 - 09:04 PM, said:

There may be some denial about Kilometers and meters and miles per hour and feet..... I honesty belive 100% that the controls of the game are a big reson for little players...BUt its the unpolished or complete lack of awareness of your customers... several times I have said this is America we use MPH and Feet ...every reply I got was TOUGH the world uses metric you use it too!..... however not one roadsign in America is in metric....NOT ONE.  I don't use the encyclopedia becuz its in metric....new players come into the game they know nothing about going into setting and clicking imperial.....I have heard they have 25k online in Europe...here cant play today because 600 people and top flights.....dominating..its the small things like realizeing when in rome do as the romans do..the DEFAULT for planes in north America should be miles per hour with a clicky for etric NOT metric with aa click for imperial....the NORTH American encyclopedia should be in MPH and imperial... these are such SMALL things! yet you have a game with a foreign feel....and I cant belive the push back from everyone against this...when not one of us in the USA use the metric system ...It worked with tanks because 38 kph in our minds may as well be 38 mph...but we cant get our heds around 1000 KPH being 600 MPH or something...its bad business to continue to embrace KPH and metric in th USA 

God... this is the kind of stuff that reinforces a negative stereotype of Americans. Reading this made my eyes bleed. 

Only the weak die, the rest of us go to Cuba to chill with Tupac,Elvis,Kurt and Micheal. 

Raindrops #42 Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:12 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 92 battles
  • [EDF] EDF

Personally, I was taught in the Imperial system, and could never figure out why all the exchanges seemed so arbitrary. Twelve inches to the foot? Three feet to the yard? 5280 feet in a mile? Who thought that was a good idea! (Yes, I actually had to look that last one up.)

Then there's metric - 10, 100, 1000 - nice, regular intervals. Wonderfully logical, and what I prefer. Heck, I record most things in metric, then have to convert it again to talk to other people.

I never said I was good.

USA needs GA too.

_Laserguided_ #43 Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:17 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostNemesisStar, on 27 February 2014 - 06:49 PM, said:

God... this is the kind of stuff that reinforces a negative stereotype of Americans. Reading this made my eyes bleed. 

Only for those who are predisposed in the first place for whatever reason suits them and their agenda.

Because it feels to me like you guys would rather play with [edit] Laserguided and that [edit] me off. A [edit]  lot.  -- Auto

"Dont doubt my computer skills,I started with a pentium 2" -- Chuck

Thanks zipper..-- Mars

SkywhaleExpress #44 Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:50 AM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Post_Laserguided_, on 27 February 2014 - 11:17 PM, said:

Only for those who are predisposed in the first place for whatever reason suits them and their agenda.

Exactly this. Fixed the neg on this post for you.

Air Raid 8 Champions - BrushFyre

MIA - pappabear

SourHammer #45 Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:19 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 5 battles

View PostHeh, on 27 February 2014 - 10:21 PM, said:

What? This is just a violation of our rights! We should be allowed to plant whatever we want! D:

Lol apparently you are not even allowed to mention it , as I got a warning :facepalm:

Croyd_Crenson #46 Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostArthur_Dayne, on 27 February 2014 - 04:04 PM, said:

There may be some denial about Kilometers and meters and miles per hour and feet..... I honesty belive 100% that the controls of the game are a big reson for little players...BUt its the unpolished or complete lack of awareness of your customers... several times I have said this is America we use MPH and Feet ...every reply I got was TOUGH the world uses metric you use it too!..... however not one roadsign in America is in metric....NOT ONE.  I don't use the encyclopedia becuz its in metric....new players come into the game they know nothing about going into setting and clicking imperial.....I have heard they have 25k online in Europe...here cant play today because 600 people and top flights.....dominating..its the small things like realizeing when in rome do as the romans do..the DEFAULT for planes in north America should be miles per hour with a clicky for etric NOT metric with aa click for imperial....the NORTH American encyclopedia should be in MPH and imperial... these are such SMALL things! yet you have a game with a foreign feel....and I cant belive the push back from everyone against this...when not one of us in the USA use the metric system ...It worked with tanks because 38 kph in our minds may as well be 38 mph...but we cant get our heds around 1000 KPH being 600 MPH or something...its bad business to continue to embrace KPH and metric in th USA 

In order for the USA to get its shuttles to the moon, everything was done in metric.

In 1975 the Congress of the USA passed a bill switching us,the USA ,over to metric. Some American companies still lag behind , but officially the USA is a "metric" using nation.

Edit*

A few years back I was the foreman for the re-construction of the "Washington Bridge" in Manhattan. This is not the George Washington bridge, it is the next one over that crosses the East River.

All of my blue prints and all of the materials I received were written and measured in "Metric".

Edited by Croyd_Crenson, 28 February 2014 - 04:29 PM.

If the newspaper only has good news ; then only good men are in jail. -- quote from one of America's founding fathers

von_Krimm #47 Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

Feedback Airedale

• Community Ace
  • 435 battles

View PostCroyd_Crenson, on 28 February 2014 - 04:25 PM, said:

In order for the USA to get its shuttles to the moon, everything was done in metric.

The shuttles went to the Moon?  Did they use knots and nautical miles when they landed on the Sea of Tranquility or did they keep using metric?

:hiding:

Edited by von_Krimm, 28 February 2014 - 04:41 PM.

I like my <CENSORED> like I like my <CENSORED> ; aged <CENSORED> to <CENSORED> years and mixed-up with <CENSORED> .If you take fire from the spouse-AA about the former, launch flares and dump chaff: $$$visa$$$amex$$$vonKrimm2.png

2_Stroke_Johnson #48 Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 21 battles

View PostCroyd_Crenson, on 28 February 2014 - 10:25 AM, said:

It had to be done in metric, because statute miles aren't long enough to measure distances that far, and nautical miles don't exist in the vertical plane.

Shuttles to the moon, that is funny.

This thread keeps getting better and better.

An_Average_Jho #49 Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:13 PM

Helvetic Polyglot

• Alpha tester
  • 57 battles
  • [WWPD] WWPD
In the words of Grampa Simpson: "My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it."

Everything tastes better if it tries to eat you before you eat it

I named my airplane Iosef because it kept on Stalin

"Quod natura non dat, Salmantica non præstat"

von_Krimm #50 Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:49 PM

Feedback Airedale

• Community Ace
  • 435 battles

View PostAn_Average_Jho, on 28 February 2014 - 06:13 PM, said:

In the words of Grampa Simpson: "My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it."

ooooh, so +1 for ye olde archaic units of measure!  i'll drink a dram of scotch to your good health tonight.

I like my <CENSORED> like I like my <CENSORED> ; aged <CENSORED> to <CENSORED> years and mixed-up with <CENSORED> .If you take fire from the spouse-AA about the former, launch flares and dump chaff: $$$visa$$$amex$$$vonKrimm2.png

Croyd_Crenson #51 Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:31 AM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
They needed to use metric

View Postvon_Krimm, on 28 February 2014 - 11:40 AM, said:

The shuttles went to the Moon?  Did they use knots and nautical miles when they landed on the Sea of Tranquility or did they keep using metric?

:hiding:

Yes the "space shuttles":tongue:

Nasa used metric because it was easier to do the math. How many miles to the moon? Now divide that by feet and you come up with decimal points or fractions.

How many kilometers to the moon? Divide that by meters and you only need to move a decimal point and add a few zeros.

Math made easy , thank the inventor of the metric system.

If the newspaper only has good news ; then only good men are in jail. -- quote from one of America's founding fathers

2_Stroke_Johnson #52 Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:50 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 21 battles

View PostCroyd_Crenson, on 01 March 2014 - 12:31 AM, said:

They needed to use metric

Yes the "space shuttles":tongue:

Nasa used metric because it was easier to do the math. How many miles to the moon? Now divide that by feet and you come up with decimal points or fractions...

Math has always been NASA's weakness.  Especially decimal points and fractions.

Guardian54 #53 Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:38 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 376 battles
  • [70] 70

Guys, please stop trying to convince this guy that metric is overall superior, there are plenty of YouTube videos for that, all that will happen if we continue this discussion is being neg bombed and getting warnings for being non-constructive or insults by explaining just how superior metric is. By the way, I tried to give as many +1s as I could to rational lifeforms in this thread like NathanFlightLeader, it seems that the OP made this thread specifically to catch people who didn't agree so that he and his alts could neg them. You did well, OP. Inb4 removal of this post for being "non-constructive" even though it's trying to wrap up the discussion before it becomes a full scale flame war.

Also, OP, in case you haven't noticed, it's Metric vs. Imperial, not Metric vs Premium... please at least correct the title.

Edited by Guardian54, 01 March 2014 - 04:38 PM.

MrPsychic #54 Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:42 PM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 226 battles
  • [LIGS] LIGS
For what it's worth...Star Trek uses metric... :hiding:

MrPsychic #55 Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:43 PM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 226 battles
  • [LIGS] LIGS

View PostGuardian54, on 01 March 2014 - 11:38 AM, said:

Guys, please stop trying to convince this guy that metric is overall superior, there are plenty of YouTube videos for that, all that will happen if we continue this discussion is being neg bombed and getting warnings for being non-constructive or insults by explaining just how superior metric is. By the way, I tried to give as many +1s as I could to rational lifeforms in this thread like NathanFlightLeader, it seems that the OP made this thread specifically to catch people who didn't agree so that he and his alts could neg them. You did well, OP. Inb4 removal of this post for being "non-constructive" even though it's trying to wrap up the discussion before it becomes a full scale flame war.

Also, OP, in case you haven't noticed, it's Metric vs. Imperial, not Metric vs Premium... please at least correct the title.

The OP doesn't have alts... You get negged if you're being harsh or rude by other users.

Guardian54 #56 Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:30 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 376 battles
  • [70] 70

View PostMrPsychic, on 01 March 2014 - 04:43 PM, said:

The OP doesn't have alts... You get negged if you're being harsh or rude by other users.

Glad to hear he doesn't have alts, I'd like to know then why everyone pointing out that America is partly metricalized and that it is the way of the future gets neg-bombed by about 5 people?

Have fun figuring out how long your 400 mph plane will take to reach that target 1600 feet away. the math is a lot harder to do mentally than dividing by 3.6 from km/h for m/s, if you insist on using Imperial.

Another reason why developers from Rossiya don't like Imperial: Murican Imperialism is a big no-no in Rossiya :trollface:

_Laserguided_ #57 Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
My guess...  It's how people are making the point regarding America and its reluctance to embrace the metric system.   It seems some are using this and other threads to bash and not simply make a point about a system of measurement being better or worse. Of course it's human nature for those who feel so strongly they are the right to take such liberties, but I find odd that they are stunned as to why their methods are met with a negative response. Being "right" in the argument isn't insulation for one's methods, and you reap what you sow.

Because it feels to me like you guys would rather play with [edit] Laserguided and that [edit] me off. A [edit]  lot.  -- Auto

"Dont doubt my computer skills,I started with a pentium 2" -- Chuck

Thanks zipper..-- Mars

2_Stroke_Johnson #58 Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:51 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 21 battles

View PostGuardian54, on 01 March 2014 - 03:30 PM, said:

Have fun figuring out how long your 400 mph plane will take to reach that target 1600 feet away. the math is a lot harder to do mentally than dividing by 3.6 from km/h for m/s, if you insist on using Imperial.

Is anybody really doing this math during the game?  Dang you guys are more sophisticated than I thought.  (Not that I thought anybody was unsophisticated).

so, let's see...

1.  400 mph @ 1600 feet...

vs

B.  600 kph @ 500 meters...

I could mentally arrive at a reasonable approximation to both.  Number B is easier, but that target will be shrinking in my rear view before I have an answer either way.

Guardian54 #59 Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:51 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 376 battles
  • [70] 70

View Post2_Stroke_Johnson, on 01 March 2014 - 09:51 PM, said:

Is anybody really doing this math during the game?  Dang you guys are more sophisticated than I thought.  (Not that I thought anybody was unsophisticated).

so, let's see...

1.  400 mph @ 1600 feet...

vs

B.  600 kph @ 500 meters...

I could mentally arrive at a reasonable approximation to both.  Number B is easier, but that target will be shrinking in my rear view before I have an answer either way.

I know, maths is hard for most students in America (at least, its the subject you heard whines about the most here). For B) 360 kph is 100 m/s so 600 is 167 m/s, 700 kph would be around 190 or so m/s

400 mph for 1600 feet... that's about 0.3 miles at a rate of 0.11 miles per second. However I point out that you had to convert feet to miles (divide by a bit over 5000) instead of just using a decimal shift.

View Post_Laserguided_, on 01 March 2014 - 09:48 PM, said:

My guess...  It's how people are making the point regarding America and its reluctance to embrace the metric system.   It seems some are using this and other threads to bash and not simply make a point about a system of measurement being better or worse. Of course it's human nature for those who feel so strongly they are the right to take such liberties, but I find odd that they are stunned as to why their methods are met with a negative response. Being "right" in the argument isn't insulation for one's methods, and you reap what you sow.

That explains a lot, thanks, however I still find the OP's grammar and paragraph structure to be atrocious. He was reaping what he'd sown by not putting a well-thought-out well-worded document. He did not even clarify that he found the encyclopedia on the portal metric-only to be the real problem for him until the second page of the thread. I was telling him to please word it better so that reading it doesn't hurt, though admittedly I was rude about it and quesitoned why he thought North America had to use Imperial because one country out of three has not fully metricalized.

Arthur_Dayne #60 Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:04 PM

• 96 battles

[content removed - politics]

~Moderation Team

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users