86 replies to this topic

SkywhaleExpress #21 Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:32 PM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postzkyz, on 27 February 2014 - 03:37 PM, said:

OMG just logged in to +1 you.

Perfect answer for those who wants to ignore just the rest and whole world. :great:

Yup.. +1'd vKrimm as well.

View PostNathanFlightLeader, on 27 February 2014 - 04:41 PM, said:

USA is the one in denial. Only three countries in the world don't use metric. USA is clearly in denial as they still use the imperial system and, like you, refuse to accept that metric is better and want everyone to use imperial just so its easier on you. For the record, just because its a NA encyclopedia, don't assume that everyone, or even the majority of people are from USA. I'm from New Zealand (as are a few others) and we use metric, there are a lot of people from Australia, they use metric. There are a lot from Canada, which uses metric. There are a few from various South American countries, which all use metric. And there are people from EU and RU that also play on this server. They use metric. There are a few people from various Asian countries, all of which use metric. Get the point yet. The only other two countries that use imperial are Liberia and Myanmar, who I'm sure don't have access to this game. If you were to put everyone who plays this game from USA in a group, and all those from other countries in a group, its likely they will be very close in numbers. So just because its NA and you live in "MURICA!!!!", doesn't mean you can have things your way. There are other people as well, and while I can easily use the imperial system, some can't, so stop being selfish, recognise that metric is an INTERNATIONALLY recognised measuring system, and jump on the train before it pulls out of the station.

Eh... how are we in denial? We've adopted metric since 1886...  I'm sorry if we're cool and know how to count in both

View Postpetersleepy, on 27 February 2014 - 05:29 PM, said:

I, along with many others in the us at well versed in the metric system. However, changing to a metric system requires such a large effort that it is pretty much not worth the effort. Also, UK still uses mph for speed limits ;)

This!

Air Raid 8 Champions - BrushFyre

MIA - pappabear

NathanFlightLeader #22 Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:41 PM

Flying Kiwi

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles

View PostRocketSpammer1, on 28 February 2014 - 12:32 PM, said:

Yup.. +1'd vKrimm as well.

Eh... how are we in denial? We've adopted metric since 1886...  I'm sorry if we're cool and know how to count in both

This!

Like I said, I know how to count both, but clearly Americans don't as evidenced by the two people who have whined about this issue. Its not hard to convert it, and if they can't then they clearly DON'T know how to count in both.

Quoted from good old wiki;

Although all U.S. customary units have been redefined in terms of SI units, the United States does not commonly mandate the use of SI, making it, according to the CIA Factbook, one of three countries that has not adopted the metric system as their official system of weights and measures, along with Burma and Liberia.

I don't know whether you teach metric in schools or not, but clearly you don't as most Americans, except for a few like those who have posted here,  can't comprehend anything in Metric.

"It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed."
"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" And "Oh S...!"
"Airspeed, altitude and brains. Two are always needed to successfully complete the flight."
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous.

NathanFlightLeader #23 Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:42 PM

Flying Kiwi

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles

View Postpetersleepy, on 28 February 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

I, along with many others in the us at well versed in the metric system. However, changing to a metric system requires such a large effort that it is pretty much not worth the effort. Also, UK still uses mph for speed limits ;) 

Yeah, only for speed limits. Like I said I can use imperial and metric, and miles per hour is probably the easiest to use and convert. They use metric for everything else. I don't care if USA wants to change to Metric or not, but regardless of whether its easy or not, stop complaining when everyone else use metric. Then I won't have a problem with whatever USA wants to use.

Edited by NathanFlightLeader, 27 February 2014 - 11:44 PM.

The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" And "Oh S...!"
"Airspeed, altitude and brains. Two are always needed to successfully complete the flight."

_Laserguided_ #24 Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:48 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View Post2_Stroke_Johnson, on 27 February 2014 - 01:50 PM, said:

It's so confusing.  Pilots never talk about mph or kph, its knots.  You buy gasoline by the gallon, but coke is sold by the liter.  And when's the last time you could use a 7/16" wrench on a Ford.  I set my instruments to imperial at first, but changed 'em back because so much of the reference material is in metric.  Altitude is easy enough, multiply by 3.  Ten meters is about 30 feet, 1700 is between 5000 and 6000.  None of that really matters.

But the point is still valid;  no matter what you or I think, it's just good business to tailor your product to your target market.  Making imperial measurements available is a good idea. 

If the bolt will take a 11mm wrench, a 7/16 will work...:glasses:

Because it feels to me like you guys would rather play with [edit] Laserguided and that [edit] me off. A [edit]  lot.  -- Auto

"Dont doubt my computer skills,I started with a pentium 2" -- Chuck

Thanks zipper..-- Mars

Dsembr_Rein #25 Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 126 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View PostNathanFlightLeader, on 27 February 2014 - 05:41 PM, said:

Like I said, I know how to count both, but clearly Americans don't as evidenced by the two people who have whined about this issue. Its not hard to convert it, and if they can't then they clearly DON'T know how to count in both.

Quoted from good old wiki;

Although all U.S. customary units have been redefined in terms of SI units, the United States does not commonly mandate the use of SI, making it, according to the CIA Factbook, one of three countries that has not adopted the metric system as their official system of weights and measures, along with Burma and Liberia.

I don't know whether you teach metric in schools or not, but clearly you don't as most Americans, except for a few like those who have posted here,  can't comprehend anything in Metric.

Most Americans can go their whole life without ever needing to use the metric system at all, are you faulting them for that? The issue isn't that our country has a different standard of measurement, it's the ignorance of some of our citizens when faced with a standard they're unfamiliar with. Arthur_Dayne has a penchant for posting topics that manufacture controversy, and with the wording of this post it should be obvious this is an attempt at the same thing.

2_Stroke_Johnson #26 Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:28 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 21 battles

View PostNathanFlightLeader, on 27 February 2014 - 06:10 PM, said:

[Content removed.]

OP requests a game feature, and you interpret that as thinking "the rest of the world is insignificant?"

Request a game feature, you call it "whining like children?"

Really?

Get some perspective.

FryaDuck #27 Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:33 AM

Squadron Leader Knucklehead

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
Being able to convert Imperial-Metric-Knots in your mind improves mental agility.
Oderint, dum metuant, tunc ad infernum - Let them hate as long as they fear then go to hell
1st AlphaAce IL-2 (t)(Air)

PostTraumatic #28 Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:36 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1531 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN

All I know is I have to buy 2 sets of wrenches... What a pain.

I hope he now understands that he can switch it.  Either that or just do the fast math in your head.  That's what everyone else does.

Although I do agree that the metric system would be better... on the whole.  But the world will never come to that conclusion at the same time.

I.E. Once you go metric you never go back...

Edited by PostTraumatic, 28 February 2014 - 12:37 AM.

_Laserguided_ #29 Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:41 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Clearly someone is locked and loaded with any excuse fire off an "ugly American" round...  No real need for this.

Because it feels to me like you guys would rather play with [edit] Laserguided and that [edit] me off. A [edit]  lot.  -- Auto

Thanks zipper..-- Mars

NathanFlightLeader #30 Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:44 AM

Flying Kiwi

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles

View Post2_Stroke_Johnson, on 28 February 2014 - 01:28 PM, said:

OP requests a game feature, and you interpret that as thinking "the rest of the world is insignificant?"

Request a game feature, you call it "whining like children?"

Really?

Get some perspective.

Lets see shall we;

~~several times I have said this is America we use MPH and Feet ...every reply I got was TOUGH the world uses metric you use it too!..... however not one roadsign in America is in metric

~~yet you have a game with a foreign feel

~~....and I cant belive the push back from everyone against this...when not one of us in the USA use the metric system

I'm pretty sure those three quotes cover my points. This isn't just America. Like I said in another post, there are plenty of people from other countries and continents (NZ, Aus, Canada, South America, Asia, Europe, Russia etc) that play on the NA server. Yet he say's "This is America"!! That's considering the rest of the world insignificant.  As for the "foreign feel". Its a Russian game, not American, of course it will have a foreign feel, and again, not all the players are American. Again, calling everyone else insignificant. And the third quote just reinforces my points. As for whining like a child, this is the second thread this user has made in two days about WoWP features not using Metric.

_Laserguided_ #31 Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:12 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostNathanFlightLeader, on 27 February 2014 - 04:44 PM, said:

Lets see shall we;

~~several times I have said this is America we use MPH and Feet ...every reply I got was TOUGH the world uses metric you use it too!..... however not one roadsign in America is in metric

~~yet you have a game with a foreign feel

~~....and I cant belive the push back from everyone against this...when not one of us in the USA use the metric system

I'm pretty sure those three quotes cover my points. This isn't just America. Like I said in another post, there are plenty of people from other countries and continents (NZ, Aus, Canada, South America, Asia, Europe, Russia etc) that play on the NA server. Yet he say's "This is America"!! That's considering the rest of the world insignificant.  As for the "foreign feel". Its a Russian game, not American, of course it will have a foreign feel, and again, not all the players are American. Again, calling everyone else insignificant. And the third quote just reinforces my points. As for whining like a child, this is the second thread this user has made in two days about WoWP features not using Metric.

Not ONE road sign is metric?  I suggest someone Google that idea and check their results...

I personally know of three in my state alone, not that it matters...

Thanks zipper..-- Mars

Mugsy_ #32 Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:18 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [WGA-A] WGA-A

In my younger years, I was a butcher. One day, as I stood behind my counter I listened to two carpenters arguing over metric vs. customary means of measurement.

Allow me to simplify their exchange.

Carpenter 1: "I an engineer, my work is science. Metric is scientific, precise, universal and clean."

Carpenter 2: "I am an artist. Customary or imperial measurements are tied to history, anatomy, and the human experience."

Anywho, both are solid perspectives.

Let's put a rest to this nationalist nonsense. You're all better than that.

Edited by Mugsy_, 28 February 2014 - 01:23 AM.

Kiwiav8r #33 Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:27 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 608 battles
  • [ACES_] ACES_
Please lock this thread CMs.  Nothing good will come out of any discussion related to this topic.

"Credibility down, Kill Ratio up!" - Joe 'Hoser' Satrapa

Aces (pre v1.9):  Bulldog, A4N, Hawk III, F2A-1, I-16(e), Skua, Ar68, A6M1, P-36, XF4F-3, Bf-109B, Bf-110B, Bf-110 C6, Blenheim, Bf-109E, Bf-110E, P-40, P-40 M105, XFL-1, Spitfire I, M.20, Beaufighter, IL-2 (mod), XF4U-1, Mosquito, P-51A, Yak-7, Yak-1M, Bf-109F, La-5, Spitfire V, Me-410, F4U-1, Fw-190 A5, Yak-9, XP-50, P-39Q-15, Mustang Mk 1, P-38J, P-51D, Yak-9U, Bf-109G, La-7, Spitfire IX, A7M, Fw-190D, F7F, Yak-15, Me-262

Donnchadh #34 Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:38 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [ACES_] ACES_

I fear some people may think I am advocating (or even "whining" ) in favour of  Imperial measures generally.

FWIW, I think the US should long ago have moved to metric and should do so without delay - but so what? The current usefulness or desirability of either system in real life is irrelevant. It's a game. This discussion reminds me of Medieval Total War - Viking Invasion with its quaint and actually fairly authentic Old English, Norse and Celtic place-names and personal names. Of course they could have used modern equivalents - but why in blazes would you do that? The old names are definitely part of the game's charm. They really made an effort to make it feel like the Dark Ages!

All I'm suggesting is that for me (and I imagine for many people) opting for Imperial measures is convenient and adds somewhat to historical authenticity, to the immersive pleasure of the game. It's also easy to do (what are computers for?) and takes nothing away from anyone else.

Donnchadh.png

dawson112299 #35 Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:55 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 5 battles

really this issue had absolutely nothing to do with the game , other than someone had to actually go into the settings and change the value.

It became a stupid argument about this country or that country and encyclopedias , road signs and measuring.  

Another absolutely worthless waste of a thread.  And something for people to argue about once again.

Guardian54 #36 Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:04 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 376 battles
  • [70] 70

View PostArthur_Dayne, on 27 February 2014 - 09:04 PM, said:

There may be some denial about Kilometers and meters and miles per hour and feet..... I honesty belive 100% that the controls of the game are a big reson for little players...BUt its the unpolished or complete lack of awareness of your customers... several times I have said this is America we use MPH and Feet ...every reply I got was TOUGH the world uses metric you use it too!..... however not one roadsign in America is in metric....NOT ONE.  I don't use the encyclopedia becuz its in metric....new players come into the game they know nothing about going into setting and clicking imperial.....I have heard they have 25k online in Europe...here cant play today because 600 people and top flights.....dominating..its the small things like realizeing when in rome do as the romans do..the DEFAULT for planes in north America should be miles per hour with a clicky for etric NOT metric with aa click for imperial....the NORTH American encyclopedia should be in MPH and imperial... these are such SMALL things! yet you have a game with a foreign feel....and I cant belive the push back from everyone against this...when not one of us in the USA use the metric system ...It worked with tanks because 38 kph in our minds may as well be 38 mph...but we cant get our heds around 1000 KPH being 600 MPH or something...its bad business to continue to embrace KPH and metric in th USA 

[Non-constructive comments removed.]

~GM/Mod Teams

Cpt_ZigZag #37 Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:11 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
  • [TEE] TEE

View PostDarcel_Jones, on 27 February 2014 - 04:25 PM, said:

They should stop calling it Imperial and we would not think it's so cool....USA,USA,USA!!!

But I do use the metric system in game,it's just easier.

*cough USA*.... I changed it to Imperial.  Easier for me even living in EU for 4 years.  *cough*  Im just kidding  :izmena:

Pack your own chute. 

BitterClinger #38 Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:11 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

For the love of all that is good and holy in this world, please do not change anything.  I neither know nor care about the metric system. However, that is the system I use in game, so this is what I have learned:

• Attack Aircraft - shoot at 800m
  • Heavy Fighter - Shoot at 700m
  • Fighter - Shoot at 500m

I tried switching to Imperial, which I know and love all my life, but it is meaningless for me in game. I was completely lost.

Edited by BitterClinger, 28 February 2014 - 02:12 AM.

von_Krimm #39 Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:17 AM

Feedback Airedale

• Community Ace
  • 435 battles
like sand in the speedo is the Imperial measurements to the metricized user; salt into the Imperialized wound of obsolescence is thrown by the metricals.

Edited by von_Krimm, 28 February 2014 - 02:17 AM.

I like my <CENSORED> like I like my <CENSORED> ; aged <CENSORED> to <CENSORED> years and mixed-up with <CENSORED> .If you take fire from the spouse-AA about the former, launch flares and dump chaff: $$$visa$$$amex$$$vonKrimm2.png

WulfNose #40 Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:31 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Community Ace
  • 570 battles
Grandma sold a dozen eggs for two bits, and grandpa would plow half a mile a rod wide to get an acre. My Dad's Pa would race horses in 5 furlong races. All poetry, but as Mugsy points out, not suitable for argument. Once the encyclopedia becomes more sophisticated, any viewer can read within their own context. Coming soon to a gadget near you. Wulf

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users