Jump to content


In denial about metric vs premium


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
86 replies to this topic

Arthur_Dayne #1 Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:04 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 96 battles
  • 557
  • Member since:
    02-08-2013
There may be some denial about Kilometers and meters and miles per hour and feet..... I honesty belive 100% that the controls of the game are a big reson for little players...BUt its the unpolished or complete lack of awareness of your customers... several times I have said this is America we use MPH and Feet ...every reply I got was TOUGH the world uses metric you use it too!..... however not one roadsign in America is in metric....NOT ONE.  I don't use the encyclopedia becuz its in metric....new players come into the game they know nothing about going into setting and clicking imperial.....I have heard they have 25k online in Europe...here cant play today because 600 people and top flights.....dominating..its the small things like realizeing when in rome do as the romans do..the DEFAULT for planes in north America should be miles per hour with a clicky for etric NOT metric with aa click for imperial....the NORTH American encyclopedia should be in MPH and imperial... these are such SMALL things! yet you have a game with a foreign feel....and I cant belive the push back from everyone against this...when not one of us in the USA use the metric system ...It worked with tanks because 38 kph in our minds may as well be 38 mph...but we cant get our heds around 1000 KPH being 600 MPH or something...its bad business to continue to embrace KPH and metric in th USA 

Edited by Arthur_Dayne, 27 February 2014 - 09:04 PM.


BitterClinger #2 Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • 1,197
  • Member since:
    03-19-2013

Is there something wrong with this configuration option?

 



Donnchadh #3 Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:19 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • 264
  • [ACES_] ACES_
  • Member since:
    05-10-2013

British and American aircraft's instruments used Imperial units (such as 20,000 feet, or 300mph) so accounts of those air battle not only by participants but by later historians, use them exclusively (or almost exclusively). And using units of measurement contemporary with WWII adds to the historical flavour, even in countries where metric has since been implemented (like Canada).

 

So I suggest what's now used isn't the point. It's a good idea to make Imperial units an option for all players.



Donnchadh.png


petersleepy #4 Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:21 PM

    TnB Rights Activist

  • Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • 1,494
  • [MLPVA] MLPVA
  • Member since:
    10-26-2011
If you're going to make an argument about the imperial measurement system, at least get the title right.

"It's only game, why you heff to be mad?" ~Ilya Bryzgalov


Donnchadh #5 Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:21 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • 264
  • [ACES_] ACES_
  • Member since:
    05-10-2013

View PostBitterClinger, on 27 February 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

Is there something wrong with this configuration option?

 


It doesn't apply across the board - for instance, the Encyclopedia is metric, only, no preference is offered.



Donnchadh.png


von_Krimm #6 Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:26 PM

    Feedback Airedale

  • Community Ace
  • 435 battles
  • 1,348
  • Member since:
    01-09-2012

hi there, just a quick note:  I am an American living south of the Mason-Dixon line and a retired veteran from the USAF and have absolutely no issue using the metric system itself or an encyclopedia using either Imperial or metric measurements.  In fact, the armed forces of the United States use metric measurements in addition to there being occasions for using knots (which is another whole can of worms) by said armed forces and civilians.  So, while you may strongly object to the metric system because you live in the United States, those players living in Mexico and Canada (both parts of America....the northern part) and those in Central and South America, plus all the visitors, resident aliens and naturalized citizens of the United States that come from abroad, coupled with persons like myself have no issue with using metric outnumber you.  Also, the developers think and program in metric and not Imperial; be grateful they offer you the option to change from metric to imperial measures.

 

ps.  if you are really having that much of a problem with it, divide by two the kph for mph and think of a meter as a yard; both get you close enough for a GAME.  If you want to take issue with millimeters. then .30cal and .303 equal 6.5mm and .50cal equals 12.7mm; cannons (anything 15mm or larger) were always measured in millimeters, even by the United States Army prior to WWII, and thus do not need conversion from metric to Imperial (yes, I know the UK had some cannons measured in pounds: 25lber = 88mm and that the US did have a 3" gun; those are exceptions which prove the rule).

 

 


Edited by von_Krimm, 27 February 2014 - 09:40 PM.

I like my <CENSORED> like I like my <CENSORED> ; aged <CENSORED> to <CENSORED> years and mixed-up with <CENSORED> .If you take fire from the spouse-AA about the former, launch flares and dump chaff: $$$visa$$$amex$$$vonKrimm2.png

zkyz #7 Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:37 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 780 battles
  • 603
  • [GAVCA] GAVCA
  • Member since:
    05-26-2012

View Postvon_Krimm, on 27 February 2014 - 06:26 PM, said:

hi there, just a quick note:  I am an American living south of the Mason-Dixon line and a retired veteran from the USAF and have absolutely no issue using the metric system itself or an encyclopedia using either Imperial or metric measurements.  In fact, the armed forces of the United States use metric measurements in addition to there being occasions for using knots (which is another whole can of worms) by said armed forces and civilians.  So, while you may strongly object to the metric system because you live in the United States, those players living in Mexico and Canada (both parts of America....the northern part) and those in Central and South America, plus all the visitors, resident aliens and naturalized citizens of the United States that come from abroad, coupled with persons like myself have no issue with using metric outnumber you.  Also, the developers think and program in metric and not Imperial; be grateful they offer you the option to change from metric to imperial measures.

 

ps.  if you are really having that much of a problem with it, multiply by two the kph for mph and think of a meter as a yard; both get you close enough for a GAME.  If you want to take issue with millimeters. then .30cal and .303 equal 6.5mm and .50cal equals 12.7mm; cannons (anything 15mm or larger) were always measured in millimeters, even by the United States Army prior to WWII, and thus do not need conversion from metric to Imperial (yes, I know the UK had some cannons measured in pounds: 25lber = 88mm and that the US did have a 3" gun; those are exceptions which prove the rule).

 

 

 

OMG just logged in to +1 you.

 

Perfect answer for those who wants to ignore just the rest and whole world. :great:



2_Stroke_Johnson #8 Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:50 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 21 battles
  • 398
  • Member since:
    12-22-2013

It's so confusing.  Pilots never talk about mph or kph, its knots.  You buy gasoline by the gallon, but coke is sold by the liter.  And when's the last time you could use a 7/16" wrench on a Ford.  I set my instruments to imperial at first, but changed 'em back because so much of the reference material is in metric.  Altitude is easy enough, multiply by 3.  Ten meters is about 30 feet, 1700 is between 5000 and 6000.  None of that really matters.

 

But the point is still valid;  no matter what you or I think, it's just good business to tailor your product to your target market.  Making imperial measurements available is a good idea. 


 


SourHammer #9 Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:02 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 5 battles
  • 1,254
  • Member since:
    01-08-2014

View PostDonnchadh, on 27 February 2014 - 09:21 PM, said:


It doesn't apply across the board - for instance, the Encyclopedia is metric, only, no preference is offered.


What does the encyclopedia have to do with the fact that there is a metric or imperial option in the game?    That is just the way it is.

      [content moderated.Inappropriate content]
~Moderation Team



2_Stroke_Johnson #10 Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:17 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 21 battles
  • 398
  • Member since:
    12-22-2013

View Postdawson112299, on 27 February 2014 - 04:02 PM, said:


What does the encyclopedia have to do with the fact that there is a metric or imperial option in the game?    That is just the way it is.

[content moderated.Inappropriate content]
~Moderation Team

 

All you have to do is log on to your state's forum, and convince the governor that the law should be changed.   The governor will then instruct lawmakers to update the code.

 

Excellent analogy.


 


Heh #11 Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:21 PM

    Sky Whale Historian

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • 11,960
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View Postdawson112299, on 27 February 2014 - 10:02 PM, said:

Id love to fill my garden with marijuana every year but Im not allowed , not an option in my state.

 

What? This is just a violation of our rights! We should be allowed to plant whatever we want! D:


Heh - aeromarine biologist

View Posthahiha, on , said:


OMG Heh you have had so many posts O_O

NathanFlightLeader #12 Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:41 PM

    Flying Kiwi

  • Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • 2,466
  • Member since:
    10-09-2012
USA is the one in denial. Only three countries in the world don't use metric. USA is clearly in denial as they still use the imperial system and, like you, refuse to accept that metric is better and want everyone to use imperial just so its easier on you. For the record, just because its a NA encyclopedia, don't assume that everyone, or even the majority of people are from USA. I'm from New Zealand (as are a few others) and we use metric, there are a lot of people from Australia, they use metric. There are a lot from Canada, which uses metric. There are a few from various South American countries, which all use metric. And there are people from EU and RU that also play on this server. They use metric. There are a few people from various Asian countries, all of which use metric. Get the point yet. The only other two countries that use imperial are Liberia and Myanmar, who I'm sure don't have access to this game. If you were to put everyone who plays this game from USA in a group, and all those from other countries in a group, its likely they will be very close in numbers. So just because its NA and you live in "MURICA!!!!", doesn't mean you can have things your way. There are other people as well, and while I can easily use the imperial system, some can't, so stop being selfish, recognise that metric is an INTERNATIONALLY recognised measuring system, and jump on the train before it pulls out of the station. 
"It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed."
"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" And "Oh S...!"
"Airspeed, altitude and brains. Two are always needed to successfully complete the flight."
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous.

2_Stroke_Johnson #13 Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:00 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 21 battles
  • 398
  • Member since:
    12-22-2013

View PostNathanFlightLeader, on 27 February 2014 - 04:41 PM, said:

USA is the one in denial. Only three countries in the world don't use metric. USA is clearly in denial as they still use the imperial system and, like you, refuse to accept that metric is better and want everyone to use imperial just so its easier on you. For the record, just because its a NA encyclopedia, don't assume that everyone, or even the majority of people are from USA. I'm from New Zealand (as are a few others) and we use metric, there are a lot of people from Australia, they use metric. There are a lot from Canada, which uses metric. There are a few from various South American countries, which all use metric. And there are people from EU and RU that also play on this server. They use metric. There are a few people from various Asian countries, all of which use metric. Get the point yet. The only other two countries that use imperial are Liberia and Myanmar, who I'm sure don't have access to this game. If you were to put everyone who plays this game from USA in a group, and all those from other countries in a group, its likely they will be very close in numbers. So just because its NA and you live in "MURICA!!!!", doesn't mean you can have things your way. There are other people as well, and while I can easily use the imperial system, some can't, so stop being selfish, recognise that metric is an INTERNATIONALLY recognised measuring system, and jump on the train before it pulls out of the station. 

 

LOL at the idea that nonconformity = denial.  The train has already pulled out of the station.  American companies doing business abroad have to adapt;  foreign companies doing business in the US also have to adapt.  Or choose not to, as the case may be.

 

 


 


petersleepy #14 Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:00 PM

    TnB Rights Activist

  • Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • 1,494
  • [MLPVA] MLPVA
  • Member since:
    10-26-2011

View PostNathanFlightLeader, on 27 February 2014 - 05:41 PM, said:

USA is the one in denial. Only three countries in the world don't use metric. USA is clearly in denial as they still use the imperial system and, like you, refuse to accept that metric is better and want everyone to use imperial just so its easier on you. For the record, just because its a NA encyclopedia, don't assume that everyone, or even the majority of people are from USA. I'm from New Zealand (as are a few others) and we use metric, there are a lot of people from Australia, they use metric. There are a lot from Canada, which uses metric. There are a few from various South American countries, which all use metric. And there are people from EU and RU that also play on this server. They use metric. There are a few people from various Asian countries, all of which use metric. Get the point yet. The only other two countries that use imperial are Liberia and Myanmar, who I'm sure don't have access to this game. If you were to put everyone who plays this game from USA in a group, and all those from other countries in a group, its likely they will be very close in numbers. So just because its NA and you live in "MURICA!!!!", doesn't mean you can have things your way. There are other people as well, and while I can easily use the imperial system, some can't, so stop being selfish, recognise that metric is an INTERNATIONALLY recognised measuring system, and jump on the train before it pulls out of the station. 

Now now, no need to be so nationalistic. 


"It's only game, why you heff to be mad?" ~Ilya Bryzgalov


Mr_D_Duck #15 Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:08 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • 671
  • Member since:
    03-03-2013

... in North America their are other countries that also use metric ( like little old Canada ) ... "THE WORLD STANDARD" !

 

[Insult removed.]

~GM/Mod Teams


CLOSED BETA -> 1008 ------ OPEN BETA -> 2891 ------ LIVE -> 6210 +

T1/5 Planes @ 306 flights - 61.76% {L.G.P. - Feb 2015} ----- T2/15 Planes @ 306 flights - "95% completed"

   T3/14 Planes |-----| T4/12 Planes |-----| T5/16 Planes |-----| T6/ 1 Plane (so far)

Still Here & Still playing, The Game - MY WAY !


NathanFlightLeader #16 Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:17 PM

    Flying Kiwi

  • Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • 2,466
  • Member since:
    10-09-2012

View Postpetersleepy, on 28 February 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

Now now, no need to be so nationalistic. 

 

I just don't see why USA can't join the rest of the world. There have been three threads in the past two days about this issue so it clearly interferes with people doing things, so instead of complaining and assuming that because your USA you run the world and can have things your way, join the other 193 countries that use Metric.

 

[Social/Political comments removed.]

~GM/Mod Teams


"It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed."
"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" And "Oh S...!"
"Airspeed, altitude and brains. Two are always needed to successfully complete the flight."
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous.

PrettyWoods #17 Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:23 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 8 battles
  • 186
  • Member since:
    12-09-2013

Is there really nothing better in life to get fired up about than metric vs imperial?  Calm down please and let's have some fun.

 

The numbers are balanced for gameplay and can be changed with a setting...it's not like real life experience with speeds and distances will apply to the game anyway.

 

Edit:  As others have said before and after this post, I use both, have no problem with both, and live in the USA.  I don't disparage you for living wherever you do, please don't disparage my country.


Edited by PrettyWoods, 27 February 2014 - 11:44 PM.


Darcel_Jones #18 Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:25 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 0 battles
  • 659
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

They should stop calling it Imperial and we would not think it's so cool....USA,USA,USA!!!

But I do use the metric system in game,it's just easier.



WulfNose #19 Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:28 PM

    Chief Petty Officer

  • Community Ace
  • 570 battles
  • 2,315
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
We can join the rest of the world, or those companies which wish to sell to us can join us. I wear size 10 shoes. If the shoes come in size 10, I might by them. If I have to figure it out from a eurosize, well, there's a store next door that wants my business. But, in a online situation, there should be no issue at all. A computer can readily switch the units to whatever unit I, as a customer, want to see. Problem solved. Wulf

petersleepy #20 Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:29 PM

    TnB Rights Activist

  • Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • 1,494
  • [MLPVA] MLPVA
  • Member since:
    10-26-2011

View PostNathanFlightLeader, on 27 February 2014 - 06:17 PM, said:

I just don't see why USA can't join the rest of the world. There have been three threads in the past two days about this issue so it clearly interferes with people doing things, so instead of complaining and assuming that because your USA you run the world and can have things your way, join the other 193 countries that use Metric. [Content removed.]

I, along with many others in the us at well versed in the metric system. However, changing to a metric system requires such a large effort that it is pretty much not worth the effort. Also, UK still uses mph for speed limits ;) 


"It's only game, why you heff to be mad?" ~Ilya Bryzgalov





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users