Rear Gunner Priority Targeting.

RearGunner Priority PilotControl Targeting TargetSelect

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

OpheliaAlexiou #1 Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:28 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

Other than the fact that we should be able to choose which ammunition our Rear Gunner uses on any aircraft which includes a Rear Gunner, there is one way in which I think a lot of us would agree that Rear Gunners could be improved in this game, and that is by having the ability to set some manner of "Protocol" for Rear Gunner targeting. Obviously, the Rear Gunner's targeting should be automatic, but it would be nice to have a choice on the manner of targeting when there are multiple targets which the Rear Gunner could choose to shoot at.

Obviously, when you are in an IL-8 and there is a single individual behind you, the Rear Gunner should shoot at that solitary target.

However, what I propose would be a Protocol wherein you have three choices for Rear Gunner Target Priority:

1. Default -- The Rear Gunner behaves in the same manner in which the Rear Gunner behaves in present programming.

2. Highlighted Target -- The Rear Gunner will target the enemy which you have most recently highlighted with the "Engaging" hot-key, switching to fire at them anytime they are in the Rear Gunner's line of sight, but otherwise behaving in the "Default" manner.

3. Weakest Target -- The Rear Gunner will shoot at the enemy whose hit points are the lowest, in the event that there are multiple hostile aircraft within the Rear Gunner's firing line, or the one with the least armour in the case of multiple enemies at full or similar health.

Edit:

In response to polite requests from two users, this post has been modified from its' original version to point-size 14 and basic black.

Since starting to play the game on December 08, I have achieved the Ace Medal in: TSh-3 -- Fw 57 -- Ao 192 -- Bf 110 B --

SkywhaleExpress #2 Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:35 PM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
This! Oh my, so long have we asked for the gunner to stay on the guy it was shooting at..

Air Raid 8 Champions - BrushFyre

MIA - pappabear

Wesrin #3 Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 296 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
What about a key pilots with tail gunners hit that gives them a POV from the TG with a free look crosshairs they can point at a tailing plane to designate the specific target they want engaged? Downside is they can't see where their plane is flying in this view more so they'd have to make sure they are pointing in a relatively safe direction. 

Fly me closer, I want to hit them with my sword!

Schwarze_Raven #4 Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
It's a good thought Ophelia, it should also make priority of one who is doing the most damage to the aircraft, countless times I've jumped GAs and HFs because the TG was aiming at some other poor B@stard.

WEBEUS #5 Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 55 battles

View PostWesrin, on 11 February 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

What about a key pilots with tail gunners hit that gives them a POV from the TG with a free look crosshairs they can point at a tailing plane to designate the specific target they want engaged? Downside is they can't see where their plane is flying in this view more so they'd have to make sure they are pointing in a relatively safe direction.

Or even just a small rear view mirror (window) that would allow you to have the TG perspective so yopu can maneuver your plane accordingly. i realize you can switch to rear view already.

Edited by WEBEUS, 11 February 2014 - 09:35 PM.

tahee59 #6 Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 22 battles

nice post,

I would most likely set mine to hit weakest first

SkywhaleExpress #7 Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:29 PM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
WG has already been definitive in their answer that tailgunners will NOT be mannable, and that we won't have cockpits. Other than that, I feel it should prioritize first on who you're targeted to, then on whomever is in it's firing arc.

MIA - pappabear

Cpt_ZigZag #8 Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:43 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
  • [TEE] TEE
The ammo thing would least seem do-able.  I do hate having to break contact because a rear gunner is about to kill me however :(  

Pack your own chute. 

Zigfreid #9 Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 14510 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
Something else to think about flying IL in stealth under enemy planes undetected going to blow up base rear gunner opens fire and blows your cover and gives away your position now you have one to five enemy planes on you and you can guess the rest of the story maybe rear gunner should not fire until pilot engages to keep stealth and undetected ???

Wesrin #10 Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 296 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Posterdminger, on 11 February 2014 - 06:50 PM, said:

Something else to think about flying IL in stealth under enemy planes undetected going to blow up base rear gunner opens fire and blows your cover and gives away your position now you have one to five enemy planes on you and you can guess the rest of the story maybe rear gunner should not fire until pilot engages to keep stealth and undetected ???

Generally, if your TG opens fire on an enemy aircraft, they have already spotted you and are engaging. I believe the maximum engagement range for most TG's is about 3000 feet, which most aircraft can spot you with ease.

Fly me closer, I want to hit them with my sword!

SkywhaleExpress #11 Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:00 AM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostWesrin, on 11 February 2014 - 05:57 PM, said:

Generally, if your TG opens fire on an enemy aircraft, they have already spotted you and are engaging. I believe the maximum engagement range for most TG's is about 3000 feet, which most aircraft can spot you with ease.

There's only one tail gunner that can hit beyond 2500 ft and expect to hit, and that's the Russian 23mm.

MIA - pappabear

deathjunky #12 Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:09 AM

Airman Basic

• 18 battles
I agree with you I dont know how many times I would have 3 guys each with 40-60 damage because my tail gunner is switching between them.... If he stayed on one plane that had the lowest HP the kill ratio for tail gunners would go up. But as it is now they are not very effective.

Player_3140018413 #13 Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:15 PM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles

tail gunners should be susceptable to injury/death....they seem to be invincible in this game :teethhappy:

3/4 bandits with heavy mg fire doesn't seem to effect rear gunner's effeciency.

Crack sheild/doom surely will obscure his visibility if not kill Mr. rear gunner.

A lot of people wouldn't be getting 'ace' if it were not for rear gunner's invincibilty :izmena:

Edited by UN_Machete, 03 March 2014 - 08:24 PM.

2_Stroke_Johnson #14 Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:57 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 21 battles

View Posterdminger, on 11 February 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

I like the original idea plus stealth mode.

You would expect a pilot within tail gun range to have spotted and engaged.  A trained combat veteran would certainly behave in this manner.  However, we frequently face enemies who do not behave rationally.  They have some other plane targeted, or some other objective in mind, or which they will not abandon just to chase your GAA, or just not paying attention, until your tail gunner opens fire.   If there's air traffic overhead, the radar and map are cluttered.

TheGreenTank #15 Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:36 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • [MEMES] MEMES
This WOULD be a good suggestion...IF tail gunners actually needed to be improved in any way. They really don't, not until tail gunner weapons don't have perfect accuracy & target leading characteristics.

Also tagged with RearGunner, Priority, PilotControl, Targeting, TargetSelect

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users