What games have/do you play, and what brought you here?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

Lord_Zappa #1 Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:55 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

So I was thinking about this the other day.  I was listening to Talking Heads and playing video games and thought "My God! how did I get here?"

1. What got you into video games?

2. What games did you, it do you still play?

3. What led you to WOWP?

I was hooked way back when Atari came out, went through ColecoVision, Intellivision, and later Nintendo and PlayStation.  

It want till I was deployed overseas that I realized how awesome PC games are.  I got into first person shooters and would help organize large LAN battles between various platoons. 

I came back got really into EVE. I played that mostly with some FPS stuff thrown in to break up the monotony.  

I was getting burned it on EVE corp/alliance drama when someone showed me World Of Tanks.

I was hooked.  I liked that I had far more to do with the game's outcome than I did in EVE.  Even a lower tier tank could have a decisive impact on winning the game for your team.  Just straight up PVP.  I got into a clan and got burned out with the rat race. When someone showed me how to get into closed beta for World if Warplanes.

There is a lot I love about this game.  That is what allowed me to look past some of the drawbacks for now in hopes that the game will grow and get better

So how about you?

Niijima_Makoto #2 Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:16 PM

Master Sergeant

• 3 battles
  • [MIKU] MIKU

View PostLord_Zappa, on 04 February 2014 - 09:55 PM, said:

So I was thinking about this the other day.  I was listening to Talking Heads and playing video games and thought "My God! how did I get here?"

1. What got you into video games?

Pokemon Blue on my Game Boy Color. (I have most of the games up to Diamond and Pearl)

Then Starcraft and then to Red Alert.

Counter Strike then Call of Duty. Didn't like the small warzone so I moved to Battlefield 1942 and started from them.

> Once I got through the BF games I was mostly playing as AT/AA* guy. And in one BF game (Not sure which one was it where you spawn on a Aircraft Carrier) My team was getting r@ped because nobody wanted to fly the planes. So I got on one and I loved it. ....... Helicopters is another story...... I suck.

(I do have other games.)

Also I did play Doom, that tank shooting game, and other things on Windows 95.

I have many other games that play that are F2P

2. What games did you, it do you still play?

WoT

WoWP

Mabinogi (I love my pretty character she is almost the perfect girl.) [Yes, I play a girl character. Even though I'm a guy.] Isn't she cute?

These others:

3. What led you to WOWP?

See above on #1 for the Call of duty to BF.

*AA = Air Air // AT = Anti Tank

DrSinister #3 Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:18 PM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 121 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
I can't list all the games.  I would run out of room lol.  Just say I have been gaming on PC since my 1st PCs on a 286 and 386 (yes we had 2 PCs back in the mid 80s, heck had 4 PCs before the WWW even came out publicly), when I was just a wee lad of 5-6 (1985-86) years old.

theponja #4 Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:22 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 293 battles

1. More than 30 years ago a Zinclair zx80 microcomputer with 2K of Ram. With the 16K expansion I'go a Flight Sim by instruments. That was nice with 320 x 200 pixels. :unsure:

2: Flight sims: Il Sturmovik, Rise of Flight, WoWp.  RPGs: Fallout Series, waiting for Project Eternity , Wasteland II. Adventures: Bioshock Series.

3. See the wallpaper of ths-3 plane. I need to use that one :veryhappy:

Darcel_Jones #5 Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:37 PM

• 0 battles

Like you I started on Atari 2600,I believe(remember Combat?)moved on to Nintendo from there,had friends that had different systems before Nintendo but I never did.

I have been pretty loyal to PlayStation since the first one came out,I have all 4 of them.

Now I found WOT kinda by accident,remember the game company SSI(they made Panzer,Allied General games)well they made a game called Panzer Commander that was a tank sim.Was looking for that game and found WOT,and did not look back.

xMADDMANNx #6 Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:00 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

its in my sig..

but not listed is

f15-strike eagle

European Air War

I still play Cliffs Of Dover not that often though, COD WaW, A little WTG golf time to time.

What got me to WoWP frankly theTV add's led me to it. But the adds didn't show plane markers & distance markers in the "live" gameplay.. it leads you to think its more simulation based that kinda let me down just a tad at 1st MM battle. Don't get me wrong i like this game.

Been seeing more add's on TV as well.. History II and Millitary channels both. I hope it brings in more numbers for the NA server.

Chuck_norris10 #7 Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:25 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2286 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

Leader of the Desperado's on Ikariam,gamma server,Now merged with LAW alliance and #1

Edited by Chuck_norris10, 04 February 2014 - 11:26 PM.

Lou #8 Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 37 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

1st with a Commodore 64, then Atari 2600( we atari users are showing our age!)

Moved on to nintendo, ps1. Then I got into computers in the mid 90's. I have a old PS2, and play madden on it maybe twice a year. some Ace Combat.

I feel pc gaming is the only way to play. I cannot play a FPS with a gamepad, must be mouse and keyboard.

I own all the 'Janes' titles. Loved Harpoon. I have a Logitech wingman that's over 12 years old, and is worn out.(my woman got me a new one for christmas)

I currently have active accounts with WOWP, WOT, DDO, and lately, SWTOR. also occasionally play Hawken and MWO

I played Ultima online for a couple years, back around 2000.

Then I got into Americas Army. Then AA2. I was in a clan, a officer, and server admin.

'Morbed' in AA. But I discovered a little known game that was in beta testing-WOT. got in that and forgot all about AA.

And that led me to beta tester for wowp.

I also play Civ, Xcom, Mount and Blade, lots of others.. I think my old lady would kill me if she read this 'confession' lol

Anyway, I've played and enjoyed MANY more games than listed, and have wasted alot of my time with them.

Loved every minute.

dagengster #9 Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:28 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Random racing games -> Combat arms -> GTA Vice City -> GTA SA -> GTA 4 -> TankiOnline -> WOT -> WOWP

Edited by dagengster, 05 February 2014 - 12:34 AM.

Hanger: [Ha 137 V-1 : Bf 109 B : Bf 109 F : Spitfire V DB : Me 410] [I-15 Bis DM-2 : I-15 (Late) : LaGG-3 : IL-2 Two Seat : LBSh] [XF4F-3 ] [Mustang 1]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soviet Attack aircrafts = Flying tanks

"I will poop bombs and missiles at your HQ"

Tonzzo #10 Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:29 AM

Captain

• 702 battles

Huhhhh...

It all started with Pong.....  Yes Pong....  Then Atari and then I got into PC's starting with the Commodore 64,  then the IBM PC Jr (x86 4.77Mhz Processor).  My favorite games then was King's Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Space Quest and a few others......  Back when DOS was king and Windows were to look out of....  Ok dated myself enough.....   

:child: 

As far as what got me into WoWp...  I work on airplanes (avionics) and we all geek out on anything that fly's.... 

NathanFlightLeader #11 Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:31 AM

Flying Kiwi

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles

My parents had a PS1 while I was growing up but I didn't really get into video games until a buddy of mine introduced me to FPS games. My gaming was limited to PS2 and PS3 until I found WoT while browsing the internet in 2011 instead of doing homework. WoT was the first time I ever played a multiplayer game with other people as up until then I wasn't really interested in playing anything other then the campaigns in FPS games. After seeing how great WoT was I tried the Multiplayer on MoH 2010. The only games I don't play multiplayer on are CoD games (Bunch of little kids who go all Rambo and can't work together and I'm loyal to MoH and Battlefield so I only buy them to bash their campaigns which are unrealistic) and my Total War games.

PS2: MoH Vanguard, MoH Rising Sun, MoH Frontline are the only games I still play on PS2. I occasionally play Driven to Destruction when all the shooting gets on top of me.

PS3: MoH Airborne, MoH 2010, MoH Warfighter (just reached rank 101 the other day), Battlefield Bad Company, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Battlefield 3, Red Dead Redemption, Sniper 2 Ghost Warrior, CoD Modern Warfare, CoD World at War, CoD Modern Warfare 2, CoD Black Ops, CoD Modern Warfare 3.

PC: WoT, WoWP, Faces of War, Hearts of Iron III, Pacific Storm, DR vs AK, Battlefield 1942, Silent Hunter 2, Silent Hunter 4, Medieval II Total War (Including Kingdoms expansion, Stainless Steel mod and Broken Crescent mod), Empire Total War, Napoleon Total War, Total War Shogun 2 and Total War Rome 2.

I remember hearing about WoWP while playing WoT and I did a quick google search and found the website.

"It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed."
"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" And "Oh S...!"
"Airspeed, altitude and brains. Two are always needed to successfully complete the flight."
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous.

BitterClinger #12 Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:02 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

1. I played a bunch of Atari 2600 games, especially the ground-breaking Activision games (e.g. Pitfall), and I also played Intellivision games; but the game that got me hooked on computer gaming was a Free game called Larn 123, which was a dungeons and dragons type game available on a local BBS near San Diego in 1987.

2. I play MMORPGs mainly. I started with Ultima Online in 1997, went to EverQuest in 1998, then on to Dark Age of Camelot followed by World of Warcraft, which I played for six years. I'm currently playing Guild Wars 2 and Alpha testing EQ Landmark in addition to a couple of single-player games (Sleeping Dogs, Baldurs Gate, etc).

3. I was playing Pirates of the Burning Sea and burning out on it pretty quickly.  Someone posted a link to World of Warships in the forums, but there was not much information on the WoWS page at that time, but I noted that this was the same company that made World of Tanks (a game I disregarded at the time). Long story short, I saw a thread about beta codes for World of Warplanes on mmorpg.com, I saw that it was the same company making WoWS, so I cashed in my code and decided to give flying a try. That was March 2013.

Chuck_norris10 #13 Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:27 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2286 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

Atari! Pacman! Some of us are real old!

or asteroids,pew pew pew!

Edited by Chuck_norris10, 05 February 2014 - 01:29 AM.

Nihtwaco #14 Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:46 AM

• 488 battles
  • [DSA] DSA

Star Trek on IBM Main Frame in 70's. Doom on 487 Rig in 98, Vast Library of Xbox and Xbox 360 Games of many types. Lots of Tom Clancy Red Strom Titles, MechWarrior 3 And all the Variants of MechWarrior 4, Elder Scrolls series and a raft load of Online MMORPG titles. World of Tanks Closed Beta to Open Beta World of Warplanes.

hawkeyededic #15 Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:21 AM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 962 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA
Been playing computer games as far back as the Commodore 64, but really did not get into it till I started playing Combat Flight Simulator and EverQuest back in 1998. I have played the entire CFS line, as well as the original IL-2. I stopped playing EQ after about 8 1/2 years when my first son was born moved on to WoW for 4 years before moving to Lord of the Rings Online. I started WoWP back in Closed Beta in October 2012, and just recently started playing WoT, but flying is still my primary interest, outside Middle Earth anyway.

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

pyantoryng #16 Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:38 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2171 battles

I had been playing video games since Windows 98/Playstation 1 time...the game I really first played myself was Street Wars: Constructor Underworld.

...and it was the prospect of getting GOLD that let me to WoWP, not the flight, nor any recommendation. The game simply goes faster than WoT, and I like it that way.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Lord_Zappa #17 Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:14 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

Cool feedback guys!  There's a lot of us old timers here.  I remember the first night I saw an ATARI.  My cousin were back home visiting from college and I must have been in like third grade.  We went over to my aunt and uncles house and there was this weird thing with a stick control with one orange button.  They were playing Pacman!  

I think the introduction to my first computer helped out quite a bit.  I got a HP Pavilion laptop as my first PC, coming from one of the very early Apple iMacs.  Oh... the dial up.. lol.  It just seems like you have a lot of options with a desktop PC.  I also liked that even though we didn't have individual access to internet when we were deployed, that we could run hundreds of feet of LAN lines around the building's bays.  It was like a very close knit internet community.  What was funny was that we would be spread out all over the place sometimes playing some FPS.  It might even be late at night.  Then you get on a roll and start the killing spree.  You could hear people all over going, "OH COME ON!!!!"  and whatnot.  Everyone had player names, but you could start to figure out who you were killing by the random shouts of foul and rage across the bay.  HAHAHAHA...  

There are also lots of game options and hardware options.  You can upgrade a few pieces of hardware, as I have recently done, (thanks for all the great advice sfprankster) and  be back in the game, unlike consoles.  I don't have anything against consoles except that they were more fun when I had someone playing next to me like my brother.  Since we don't live in the same state, it is less fun to pick up a controler and go through the motions.  But on the internet, there is always someone to go head to head with.  I find the challenge with the highs and lows a fun way to spend some free time. 

Edited by Lord_Zappa, 05 February 2014 - 04:15 AM.

BitterClinger #18 Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Reading these makes me feel like I missed a few great games. I never played Mount & Blade, but I have heard nothing but positive reviews about it. I also Beta tested LOTRO and paid for a three month subscription when it was released, but I don't think I lasted even a month. I've always thought I should go back and revisit it, especially now that it is free-to-play, but that will probably never happen unless they come out with a LOTRO version 2 or something.

JDMFreakz #19 Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 106 battles

1. Didnt remember.. Maybe midtown madness or caterpillar gold mining..

2. SOOOOO MANY

3. Battlefield play4free honey badger's club, i was asking for a f2p based aerial combat game, and someone recommending me this game

My first f2p based game is Point Blank indonesian server, its called Project Blackout on NA..

Lou #20 Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 37 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostBitterClinger, on 05 February 2014 - 09:14 AM, said:

Reading these makes me feel like I missed a few great games. I never played Mount & Blade, but I have heard nothing but positive reviews about it. I also Beta tested LOTRO and paid for a three month subscription when it was released, but I don't think I lasted even a month. I've always thought I should go back and revisit it, especially now that it is free-to-play, but that will probably never happen unless they come out with a LOTRO version 2 or something.

M&B is definitely worth trying out- Horse mounted FPS(or 3rd person) archery is very cool. Storming a castle is always a blast as well. It can get repetitive if all you do is trade, and you need the cash for your warband, but getting involved in the story line is fun.

I was beta tester for LOTRO ftp, logged in maybe 6 times, I couldn't get into it.

Dude ! the Activision titles were some of the best for Atari. I had to fight with my mom to get to play River Raid. I also played the heck out of Defender.

I have all the Baldurs Gate/ D&D titles. Love that stuff.

Way back 13 years ago, in UO, I hated being out mining in my lowb crafter, then some red rez-killing bastage would come out of the woods, frustrating me badly.

Log my wizzy in, and go hunting. Good times. I know a guy IRL who made a living from that game. He'd camp out at decaying houses till he could get in, then gank everything. Sell the stuff on the auction for real$.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users