controls UI targeting 3rd person view

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

Mercsn #1 Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:38 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2601 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

So, a while back in closed beta, the aircraft in the third person (normal) view was closer, vertically, to the center of the screen and the aiming reticle (which indicates where the nose is pointing).  For some reason, probably to make seeing the target easier, since they (unwisely) took out first person non-zoomed view, they moved the player's aircraft lower in the screen.  Many players may not have noticed this.  Some may have even liked that their own aircraft wasn't blocking their view.  However, for me, the change was immediately noticeable and very annoying and distracting. 

While I'm flying and fighting, my eyes try to follow the enemy plane, my aiming reticle and the central fixed point indicating where my nose is pointing.  These three things all flow together.  When my own aircraft was closer to the middle of the screen, my eyes would tend to just pass over it.  However, when the devs moved the player aircraft "out of the way", it made another object on screen that my eyes try to track while I'm fighting.  I have no need to see my own aircraft.  It is irrelevant in regards to targeting and even flying.  So, instead of my eyes focusing on 3 points that flow into each other and are related, they now end up tracking in a triangle trying to look at my aircraft which is out of the picture frame of what I want to and need to look at to fly and shoot.

With all the tinkering the controls team likes to do with the control setup (to include fixing stuff that isn't broken), I'd like to make two suggestions:

1)  of putting in a control setting that will allow the player to adjust how far down from center of the screen that their aircraft will appear in third person.  This way, I could raise the slider, moving my aircraft closer to the center of the screen where it doesn't bother me to have to see it on the screen.

2) put in a (client supported, non mod) first person view that would represent where the player would be sitting in the airplane if there was a cockpit.  I'm not asking for a cockpit view.  I'm asking for and suggesting the re-implementation of the non-zoomed first person simulated cockpit view so that I don't have to look at my plane at all in the 3rd-person view if I find it annoying, distracting or too arcady to have to watch my plane fly around Need for Speed style.

+1 if you agree the devs should actually have to play the game a bit to be allowed to make decisions that affect controls, gameplay, etc.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

FryaDuck #2 Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:45 PM

Squadron Leader Knucklehead

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles

+1

Should mention it reduces polygon count for low end systems.

Oderint, dum metuant, tunc ad infernum - Let them hate as long as they fear then go to hell
1st AlphaAce IL-2 (t)(Air)

Mercsn #3 Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:50 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2601 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
Ah, good point.  That's an added bonus I hadn't even considered!  I'm mainly just tired of the eyestrain it gives me.  It's one reason I don't play nearly as much as I did in beta.  I'd actually get headaches from it after they made the change and didn't realize what was causing it until my laptop screen had an issue and I had to shrink the game down as small as it would go to make it fit on the part of the screen that still worked.  Once I did that, I realized how much the plane was interrupting where I wanted to look (hopefully that makes sense). 

Dsembr_Rein #4 Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 126 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
I noticed the change in position as well, I believe it was around the time they changed the UI and moved a whole bunch of information to the middle of the screen instead of their previous gauges along the bottom. It took me a while to get used to the clutter in the middle of my screen, but I never really attributed any of that unnecessary inconvenience to the aircraft's position as well. However, now that you mention it and articulate the issue better than I could've, I have to agree. I tend to play with my view zoomed out to the farthest point, a distance at which, with the original positioning, my view of targets directly in front of me wasn't hindered at all. Not to mention the WoT-style mouse controls don't lock your crosshairs to the center of the screen anyway, so your aircraft tends to stay out of the way of your view naturally under most circumstances.

Claudio67 #5 Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:16 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 433 battles
What I've noticed is that the crosshair shifts positions when the camera flips upside down, so the enemy is no more in sight like it was before the flip (and when it gets straight again shifts) as if it has separate axis of the drawn plane and the line of shooting. Will +1 later, in the mobile version the buttons doesn't appear

Zapperguy #6 Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:19 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 63 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

Both 1st person mods in DrSinister's mod compilation thread are stable. DrSinister's version is 1st person only with a wide field of vision and multiple levels of zoom. Hootorez's 1st person mod has the standard 3rd person views and adds the 1st person view with a couple of steps of zoom similar to what we had back in CBT before 1st person was removed. I can't stand 3rd person so I use DrSinister's version.

DrSinister Camera Mod - Author: DrSinister

• This is strictly 1st person view only
  • No Strafe Mode
  • 80 Degree FoV with 4 zoom modes on the mouse scroll.
  • 0%, 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%

Hootorez Camera Mod - Author: Hootorez

Try 'em if you like 1st person.

:honoring:

Mercsn #7 Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:05 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2601 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
Thanks zap, doc and comrade hootorez.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users