"Sink the Bismarck!" movie

Bismarck Fairey Swordfish

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

FlakValleyExpress #1 Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:45 PM

Captain

• 64 battles

While waiting until the East Coast ice storm this morning warmed up enough for me to go to work, I spent my idle time with watching the tail end of the 1960 “Sink the Bismarck” movie on AMC. The movie reminded me of an old SSI game I use to have in dealing with sinking the Bismarck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Bismarck

It was very low key game in Graphics and game play. I’d enjoy the heck in playing that game on my Apple II. The game does capture the feeling of losing track of the Bismarck and being ineffective in damaging it until the English Navy gets fully organized.

On another note my father went to a Saturday matinee to watch the movie at the movie theater when it was released. Unfortunate for him many parents at the time just dropped of their kids off for the movie. My father had to deal with kids throwing candy and popcorn at each other. Much less with their yelling and whooping it up when the HMS Hood was destroyed. The kids thought it was the Bismarck that was destroyed. My Father said the kids where bored by the talking dialogue and did not know the difference on who was shooting who. BTW, the “Sink the Bismarck” movie was one of my father’s favorite movies.

Movie Clip

Spoiler

After seeing the movie, this would be one plane I would like to see in WoWP.

Fairey Swordfish

Spoiler

It would be interesting to see if the torpedo bombers enter the game. I would love to torpedo the ships on the Harbor map or Taranto

Edited by FlakValleyExpress, 10 January 2014 - 06:46 PM.

1.X WoWP veteran - Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0 - Non-Russian

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature- Let's be Professional, Fix it! - Be the gold standard for MMO warplanes. Ditch the Zero and get with a Hero WoWP - Best troll game in 2018/2019

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

ThomasFranz67 #2 Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:00 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 81 battles
  • [VIKNG] VIKNG

Nice Post. That's one of my favorite movies on U-tube as well.

I don't know about the Swordfish though, would be a sitting duck for just about everything else in game.

Hochtaloughie #3 Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:28 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12 battles

The Swordfish or "Stringbag" as it was nicknamed would not hold up against the gameplay in WoWP. The reason it did so well in WW2 was because it mostly flew in areas where it was highly unlikely that enemy aircraft would be around.

I've read an autobiography written by a Swordfish pilot and have read many accounts of how the Stringbag was used. I like it but, as I said before, it wouldn't stand up well in this game.

When in my teens, my father had a friend serving in the Royal Canadian Navy who's uncle was serving aboard the Hood when it went down. His uncle wasn't one of the three survivors. 

Edited by Hochtaloughie, 10 January 2014 - 10:49 PM.

Also tagged with Bismarck, Fairey, Swordfish

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users