Binestar's basics -- videos and posts to shed some light on tactics and mistakes

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

ViolentAngel #81 Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles
Keep it up Binestar - this is great stuff and a tremendous help to the community.

"Fiery the Angels rose, & as they rose deep thunder roll’d"

-- William Blake

inktomi19d #82 Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:47 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

I've had a lot of "eureka" moments watching these videos:

1. Cutting throttle to regain boost. Going into a fight with altitude and full boost both is a life-saver.

2. Head-on dodges. I had been kind doing those, but it's was more just jerking away the second I think I'm in gun range rather than something planned and practiced which puts me in a superior position more often than not. Learning to dodge seriously has me wondering why so many people go for head-on attacks so often -- it seems that it's almost always better to dodge the head-on and then get behind the enemy.

3. Radar. I didn't even know it existed before. Not enabling it by default is stupidity on WG's part.

4. The little target window down on the left. I knew it was there, I just never really looked at it. Watching to see which way an enemy is turning or when they fire is a big deal though.

5. Running away. I play some faster planes a lot, but I was under the impression that speed differences weren't so great that I could get out of range of enemy guns. Learning to dodge, lock my target on the guy following me so I can see when he shoots, etc. has helped me dramatically.

All of those are things I just didn't know before.

The sad thing is that a good many of those tips are things which should have been included in tutorials, enabled by default, etc. WG actually gives players bad advice about attacking head-on if your firepower is higher than your enemies -- while experienced players can find some times that head-on attacks are useful, new players should be advised to avoid them at all times. Head-on attacks are one of those things where if you have to ask, you shouldn't be doing it.

Binestar #83 Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 70 battles
  • [RDDT3] RDDT3

Okay, I'd like to do a tutorial on a flight maneuver called the "Rope-A-Dope".  In WoWP it's when you intentially have a plane climb towards you and force it to stall out below you for an easy attack run/kill.

The pre-requisite:

You need to have more energy (Either current speed or ability to boost away) than your enemy

The setup:

Generally you'll be at the same level or above another plane, perhaps losing the advantage in a turn fight.  At some point it is advantageous to take the fight vertical.

The example: 

You're in a P-51A, you are at altitude with a Bf 109F.  You have full boost or close to.  You're slowly losing the turn fight as the 109F doesn't have the wingmounts.  Now's a great time to try to stall them out.  You nose up and hit full boost, dodging incoming fire as he climbs up behind you, you hold that until the nose of the 109F in the target window starts falling away and then flip over for a diving attack on a stalled out plane under you.

The video:

Comments?  Questions?

ViolentAngel #84 Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:09 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles

Very nice display of this one :honoring:

I learned of this maneuver from having it done to me too many times to count. I've also been burned more than a few times trying to pull it off.

As you say, it's difficult and you got to be aware of the enemy plane's capabilities (I've had yaks and others keep up with my climb for much longer than I expected). Also, I've been able to burn a few who underestimated my turn fighter. I'm still trying to get good at it.

Something else to watch out for is that you don't go vertical with enemy high flyers around - you are easy prey for them as you climb and nose over.

I've had most success with using this maneuver to position the guy on my tail for an easy kill by an ally. It helps if you call for help or coordinated attack on the guy if no one is currently trying to clear him.

"Fiery the Angels rose, & as they rose deep thunder roll’d"

-- William Blake

StephenHopkins #85 Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:10 PM

Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
thank you for this thread and pointing me to it during our convo

Glinka #86 Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:07 AM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles
  • [PRED] PRED

So,

Since patch 1.5,they changed how controls work.Ive been trying to get my controls back to you set the (pre 1.5) but I cant figure out how to make work...

So my question is how did you change you control setup?

Bear_1947 #87 Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:17 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 56 battles
Thanks Binestar, didn't think to use the target widow that way. Hope you update for 1.6.

WoTSig_zps60137acc.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users