Binestar's basics -- videos and posts to shed some light on tactics and mistakes

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

Binestar #1 Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 68 battles
  • [RDDT3] RDDT3

WARNING WARNING WARNING:  I would like to warn people that there might be light cursing in the videos where voice is recorded live.  Please do not watch if that offends you.

LAST UPDATE:  2014-08-16

PLEASE ASK FOR A VIDEO ON A PLANE IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE ME FLY IT.  I have almost all the tier 6 or lower available to fly.

First, let me introduce myself.  I'm Binestar.  36 years old, have been gaming since I was a toddler, my parents owning an Atari 2800 and moving through the gaming systems through to today.  I'm hoping to start a series of posts and videos not only saying what to do with a plane, but to go through my thought process during a battle to give you an idea WHY I am doing something with the plane.

I play the majority of the time solo, my stats are here:  http://planes.noobme...tar/1000745941/

I'm going to start with my first video I created, It's in the Beta Tester only premium plane the F2A-1.

Spoiler

Things of note:  In the video I talk about what planes I want to attack, then promptly end up out of position on those planes and change my attack to another plane in the furball.  This happens CONSTANTLY.  The game is all about flexibility.  If you're unable to adjust your gameplan you won't end up on the winning side more than just chance would give you from your team carrying you.

The F2A-1 is weak in firepower department, and weak for a turning fight of low tiers against bi-planes, but rather fast for it's tier if you can keep the energy up.  You'll see before my third kill that I'm in a turning fight with a Japanese plane, and rather than continue I level out and boost away.  This is using the advantages of my plane against the enemy.

Forgive my rambling, and forgive the volume of the voice, I need to adjust those settings for future videos.

Comments?  Questions?  Critiques?

I have access to a large number of the planes up to tier 6.  If you have questions on any or want to request a video, please let me know and I will attempt to accommodate you.  For a list of planes I have you can check my WoWP website profile:  http://worldofwarpla...45941-Binestar/

** Update 2014-01-10 **

I've got 3 fights I wanted to upload today.  The first is in the Russian I-16l to show some dodging methods and the second is a quick tutorial on the first real BnZ, the Ao192.  The third is my first "Mistakes" video. 

Spoiler

The above video showcases a needed talent when flying the Russian and Japanese fighters, the ability to dodge and save your HP.  A very important part of this is actually keeping a small bit of your attention on various targets and reacting quickly to tracers around you.  Even better, if you've got someone targeted and they're facing at you, you can start dodging when you see tracers leave his plane in the target window.  You'll dodge before the shells get to you, throwing off his aim.

The Ao192 IMO is the strongest tier 2 plane in the game currently.  It's certainly not invincible, but can dominate in tier 2 and 3 both, which is more than can be said for the other tier 2 planes.

Spoiler

This video shows both the attack method for Boom and Zoom and the "Oops, I missed and need to run" method for the BnZ style.

And of course, the mistake of the day:  A rocket attack in the IL2t

Spoiler

And a final bonus video, the Bf 109F with Wingmounted 20mm

Spoiler

I'll leave the 109F video without additional commentary.  If you have questions let me know!

** UPDATE 2014-01-14 **

I'll start this one with a clip I find funny, the Narrator can see the future!!!

Spoiler

I found that one too funny not to post.

For a tactics video, I'd like to post an I-17 Video where while the team won, it's not due to anything I did.  I ended up in a stalemate with a tier 4 HE-112, turning above his AA and slowly getting my HP whittled down.  Had I been a bit more attentive at the start I would have chosen a better angle of attack and plane to attack.

Spoiler

If I had paid more attention, I could have finished that before it started or gotten to a different location at start to lose less HP in the first run and hopefully have enough to take out the second plane when I was on my way out.  If you watch the video you'll see where I make the choice to try and make the best of my situation by getting myself out of the AA and taking the path of least AA damage away, it just doesn't work because my team had lost that foothold.

** UPDATE 2014-01-15 **

Quick video about the advantages of a big cannon.  I've narrated this one after I recorded it so I'll let the narration speak for itself.  I'm in a mixed bag with the cannons.  I'm not sure my aim is good enough to really handle the cannons correctly, but in the right hands guns like this can be brutal (Plus it's just fun watching planes disappear from in front of you when you are on a hot streak)

Spoiler

Thanks!

Yesterday someone noticed me in match so I decided to record the match.  It wasn't anything special, but a little commentary on what I'm doing even in matches where I don't do much at all might be useful.  I was in the Bf109 F.

Spoiler

** UPDATE 2014-01-17 **

This one is actually going to be a post of myself and my brother in a flight.  Our teamspeak was recorded at the same time so you can get an idea of what we were thinking at the time.  I don't think there is anything questionable said, but forgive me if anything we say offends you.

Spoiler

A couple of things.  In this video you can see I'm flying the Yak-1 with a single 20mm and a single 12.7mm gun.  My brother is in the F4F.  You can hear our conversation, which I believe really helps here.

You'll see a couple of times that I pull dodges against the BnZ players, this is what you should try to copy when you're looking to dodge.  It's really a very effective move (as you can see in this).

** UPDATE 2014-01-18 **

In this update I'm adding a video on the Yak-7 against the A6M2, using a less maneuverable planes against a zero and what to do.  In this instance I knew I had no chance in the horizontal against the zero.  It's lighter, turns tighter and will tear me up.  So I take it into the vertical and you can see the results.

Spoiler

** UPDATE 2014-01-19 **

I spent some time editing videos today and got my brother's version of the flighted up video.  Here is both of our views in a split screen.
Spoiler

I hope this was worth the time, it took me multiple hours to figure out, but I think the next time I do it it'll be much faster.

** UPDATE 2014-01-23 **

Here is a video in the Yak-1.  This is a strange beast.  1 20mm and 1 12.7mm shouldn't be as strong as they are.

Spoiler

** UPDATE 2014-01-25 **

I wanted to revisit the Ao192 video due to it not being as good as I could have hoped, so I recorded 2 more of the Ao192.  The first I narrate, the second I figure you'll have figured out the thought processes I have.

Spoiler

Spoiler

I expect to see you fly the Ao192 like this and post a screenshot of you getting and Ace in it.

And a bonus video of me and my brother Flighted in tier 4.  He's grinding out the Soviet line now, so I jumped into my HE112 to assist.

Spoiler

*** UPDATE 2014-01-28 ***

Here I have a nice battle in my LaGG-3.  This plane I have the full complement of guns.  I want you to watch for the moment when I get into a turning fight with the Yak-1M where I have less speed and less maneuverability than him.  I have one advantage and one advantage only on him and I take it, I have a lower stall speed than he does.  My initial thought on stalling him out was that I was just trying to hold him off as long as possible and make him drain away as much energy as possible, but when I realized how far down he was willing to go I knew I would win the dogfight between us.

Spoiler

*** UPDATE 2014-02-01***

I'm adding one that's slightly different.  I got a lot of feedback on the double ace, so I wanted to give more unfiltered banter and in game TS Talk between my brother and myself to see what we're doing in our flight.  This is a long one folks, but I think it's worth it if you've got some time.

Spoiler

**UPDATE 2014-02-02**

Here is a video where I tried to break down the choices I made and a couple of the moves I did and why.

Spoiler

*** Update 2014-02-03 ***

Here is a match where I was in my P-51A and pulled out an Ace in a tier 7 battle.  No commentary, just the raw footage.

Spoiler

*** UPDATE 2014-02-09 ***

I've got a video here that shows a basic High-yoyo into rolling scissors that I hope lets you see what the move is:

Spoiler

*** UPDATE 2014-02-26 ***

It's been awhile, but I haven't been recording videos recently.  I was asked by someone on my channel to do a mouse setup guide, that's here:

Spoiler

But that's not why I'm posting this.  I decided right after just to hit record, and my first battle of the night I got this in my Yak-1M.  It's a battle I think worth looking at due to the use of terrain in a situation that was otherwise very bad for me to be in.

Spoiler

Now, clearly you can't rely on that every match, but when you're in a bad situation, use every tool at your disposal

*** Added 2014-04-05 ***

Here is a match showing how I had to clean up from a superiority advantage gone wrong.

Spoiler

Update 2014-08-16

Here is a quick dodging training video:

Spoiler

As always, I take requests!

Edited by Binestar, 16 August 2014 - 03:40 PM.

Binestar #2 Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 68 battles
  • [RDDT3] RDDT3

** Added 2014-01-14 **

My first textual strategy suggestions!

For new players one of the hardest things to realize is how important the pilot of your plane's skills actually are.  I'd like to give a quick tutorial on what I consider the absolute best method to tier advancement not only for your skills, but for your pilot skills as well.

First, when you create a new account you get one tier 1 plane of each nation with a pilot at 100% crew skill.  You should CHERISH this pilot because he is your skilled friend.  As of patch 1.1 the first skill you should get on every pilot in your garage is Increased View Range.  This is crucial and I will put up with no argument on the subject...

So now you have your wonderful pilot.  100% skill because he's been training in that biplane for years prior to the outbreak of this terrible war with Eurasia.  We've always been at war with Eastasia.  (This is my explanation on why somedays I'm flighted with you and somedays you're the evil enemy)  These pilots are the only real assets you have at lower tiers.  You must remember this and not squander their skillsets.

So you fly your tier 1 planes and you're ready to move to tier 2.  This is a good time for you, you have this pilot ready for moving on, but you put your pilot into the next tier plane and he's not trained for it.  Your pilot shows up as 75% skill!  You look at the training and realize it will cost you either 400 gold to retrain him to 100%, or 40,000 silver to retrain him to 90%.  But training him to 80% is free!  That's a good thing right?  WRONG.  Never ever train your pilot using the free training.  You lose too much advancement.  You are 100% better off taking that tier 1 pilot and leaving him trained for the tier 1 until you reach a tier where you 1:  Have enough silver to retrain him to 90% and 2: Have a plane that will take more than a few fights to get through.

What does this mean in the quick and dirty explanation?

Don't retrain your crew until they are flying tier 4 planes.  75% effective skill on a pilot in a plane is perfectly ok tiers 1-3, and retraining to 90% at tier 4 should be affordable by the time you get there.

But I have the money to retrain to 90% for each tier you say.  This is OK, but ONLY ONLY ONLY if you are going to stay at that tier to get him back to 100% skill before moving on.

Lets do the math.  You retrain your tier 1 pilot to tier 2, 90% skill.  Then it takes you a mere 5 battles to get him through tier 2.  He is at 95% skill.  You then train him to tier 3, he ends up at 87% skill instead of 90 because the retraining is based on his 95% skill instead of 100%.  Then you play 15 battles, get him to 92% and you're now in tier 4.  You retrain, and you've effectively played 20 battles, paid 120,000 silver and you're starting the pilot in tier 4 with about 86% primary skill.  It doesn't seem like much, but every little bit helps.  5% here from fuel, 5% there from polish, 10% from crew skill and you're starting to see the little advantages that the top players use to get to and stay at the top tier.

Cherish your low level pilots, don't waste their experience.

As a subset of this, there are 2 ways to get a 100% pilot in the game now.  Pay 400 gold, or buy a premium plane, they come with a 100% pilot.  You can retrain that pilot with silver to a plane you're flying and have a 90% pilot and a premium plane.

Never dismiss your pilots.  The time spent getting them to 100% is better spent getting their secondary skills up!

Binestar #3 Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 68 battles
  • [RDDT3] RDDT3

So I was making a training video and this happened.  There really was only one thing I could do with the video.  Enjoy.

Binestar #4 Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:31 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 68 battles
  • [RDDT3] RDDT3
Reserved

Binestar #5 Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 68 battles
  • [RDDT3] RDDT3
Reserved

Chuck_norris10 #6 Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:42 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1878 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP
Nice tutorial,your giving away all the secrets! lol!

Binestar #7 Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 68 battles
  • [RDDT3] RDDT3
Oh I don't know about all the secrets.  But since such a small portion of the playerbase will ever even read the forums, I feel secure knowing that the ones who want to will hopefully get useful info.

daphdk #8 Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:44 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 6 battles
nice vid

SkywhaleExpress #9 Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:41 PM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
FYI, F2A-1 is not beta only. It was allowed for us to purchase it with beta tokens to carry over to live without paying gold later.

Air Raid 8 Champions - BrushFyre

MIA - pappabear

Binestar #10 Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 68 battles
  • [RDDT3] RDDT3
I know it was purchased with tokens but you had to have loaded the beta in order to have purchased in the first place unless I'm missing something and it's currently available in game?

SkywhaleExpress #11 Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostBinestar, on 10 January 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:

I know it was purchased with tokens but you had to have loaded the beta in order to have purchased in the first place unless I'm missing something and it's currently available in game?

It is indeed purchasable in the game.

MIA - pappabear

Binestar #12 Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:24 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 68 battles
  • [RDDT3] RDDT3

View PostAlexVandross, on 10 January 2014 - 12:45 PM, said:

It is indeed purchasable in the game.

I held off until I got home and could check.  It's not in my client nor in the gift shop, so where can you see that is available?

SkywhaleExpress #13 Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:57 PM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostBinestar, on 10 January 2014 - 05:24 PM, said:

I held off until I got home and could check.  It's not in my client nor in the gift shop, so where can you see that is available?

The fact I was a ble to pay gold for it? Also, not all planes are in the gold store web page. I could be wrong... It could be only purchase able by us testers.

MIA - pappabear

Tusharguy22 #14 Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:09 AM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles

Binestar,

5 planes in one battle, too cool! I was so impressed that, I watched your video several times. The one advantage you are using, is the free look around to see who's coming from where. The way my controller is set up, it's a real pain to get to the mouse's right button  and mover it around while maneuvering and dodging with the enemy. It's like I am flying with tunnel vision. I need to find a way to over come this issue. Other than that, I picked up a lot of very useful  tips. Thanks, and please bring us more!

HEAVEYGEAR #15 Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:48 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 684 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

View PostAlexVandross, on 10 January 2014 - 06:57 PM, said:

The fact I was a ble to pay gold for it? Also, not all planes are in the gold store web page. I could be wrong... It could be only purchase able by us testers.

I'm pretty sure it had to be purchased before the game went live?

View PostBinestar, on 10 January 2014 - 10:25 AM, said:

First, let me introduce myself.  I'm Binestar.  35 years old, have been gaming since I was a toddler, my parents owning an Atari 2800 and moving through the gaming systems through to today.  I'm hoping to start a series of posts and videos not only saying what to do with a plane, but to go through my thought process during a battle to give you an idea WHY I am doing something with the plane.

I play the majority of the time solo, my stats are here:  http://planes.noobme...tar/1000745941/

I'm going to start with my first video I created, It's in the Beta Tester only premium plane the F2A-1.

Things of note:  In the video I talk about what planes I want to attack, then promptly end up out of position on those planes and change my attack to another plane in the furball.  This happens CONSTANTLY.  The game is all about flexibility.  If you're unable to adjust your gameplan you won't end up on the winning side more than just chance would give you from your team carrying you.

The F2A-1 is weak in firepower department, and weak for a turning fight of low tiers against bi-planes, but rather fast for it's tier if you can keep the energy up.  You'll see before my third kill that I'm in a turning fight with a Japanese plane, and rather than continue I level out and boost away.  This is using the advantages of my plane against the enemy.

Forgive my rambling, and forgive the volume of the voice, I need to adjust those settings for future videos.

Comments?  Questions?  Critiques?

I have access to a large number of the planes up to tier 6.  If you have questions on any or want to request a video, please let me know and I will attempt to accommodate you.  For a list of planes I have you can check my WoWP website profile:  http://worldofwarpla...45941-Binestar/

Nice video, good points...I'm watching......:hiding:

I've knocked on death's door.....no one answered.....I don't complain much anymore.

Me.

Binestar #16 Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:32 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 68 battles
  • [RDDT3] RDDT3

View PostTusharguy22, on 10 January 2014 - 07:09 PM, said:

Binestar,

5 planes in one battle, too cool! I was so impressed that, I watched your video several times. The one advantage you are using, is the free look around to see who's coming from where. The way my controller is set up, it's a real pain to get to the mouse's right button  and mover it around while maneuvering and dodging with the enemy. It's like I am flying with tunnel vision. I need to find a way to over come this issue. Other than that, I picked up a lot of very useful  tips. Thanks, and please bring us more!

Thanks for the feedback!  Interestingly enough, that video was actually the first one I recorded, so getting an ace was nice icing.  I've uploaded a second video about the I-16L, I feel it has some good information on defensive flying.

Kefic #17 Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostAlexVandross, on 10 January 2014 - 05:41 PM, said:

FYI, F2A-1 is not beta only. It was allowed for us to purchase it with beta tokens to carry over to live without paying gold later.

noob.  :)

Nice videos

Binestar #18 Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 68 battles
  • [RDDT3] RDDT3

View PostKefic, on 12 January 2014 - 10:32 AM, said:

noob.  :)

Nice videos

Thanks.  I recorded a few over the weekend, so I should have more to upload tonight or tomorrow.  anyone have any critiques?

Binestar #19 Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 68 battles
  • [RDDT3] RDDT3
I've uploaded one where I explain where I made the mistakes and how I attempted to correct them.  In this video I attempted to correct a subtle but critical mistake at the start of the dogfight into something other than crap.  I got most of an enemy fighter out of it.

F16SkyPilot #20 Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:49 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 4484 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

Very good job, and lol at the 'don't hit your allies" video. :great:

I will be keeping a sharp eye out for you in game.

Edited by F16SkyPilot, 15 January 2014 - 01:51 PM.

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself."

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users