Remember "Band of Brothers" ? How about "The Pacific" ? Third one on it's way......

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

Quesnel #1 Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:39 AM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

...........and this time, they "Get Airborne!"

Read more here http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/hbo-developing-third-wwii-miniseries-413632

Wolcott #2 Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:50 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Will they be using real aircraft like Memphis Belle or just CGI like Red Tails?

Brewster - for lasting mastery of the air

NathanFlightLeader #3 Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:28 AM

Flying Kiwi

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles

I have the blu-ray box set with both Band of Brothers and The Pacific and I've watched them more times then I can count. If this is anything like those two its going to be absolutely amazing!!!! Thanks for letting us know.

View PostWolcott, on 10 January 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

Will they be using real aircraft like Memphis Belle or just CGI like Red Tails?

They used CGI for the D-Day parachute scenes in Band of Brothers but they may do it differently here.

"It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed."
"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" And "Oh S...!"
"Airspeed, altitude and brains. Two are always needed to successfully complete the flight."
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous.

Croyd_Crenson #4 Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:11 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

One of the best shows ever made was Band of Brothers.

Pacific was so mediocre it couldn't hold anyone's attention.

Hopefully they have a good storyline to go by and aren't just looking to bore the hell out of us again with a Pacific like series.

If the newspaper only has good news ; then only good men are in jail. -- quote from one of America's founding fathers

JarethG #5 Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:02 AM

Eclectic Dragon

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles

I love Band of Brothers.  It was such a strong mini series.  Anyone who is a WWII history buff should watch it if they haven't.  Like Nathan, I own the box sets of both Band of Brothers and The Pacific.  Like Croyd said though, I think The Pacific is mediocre at best.

When watching Band of Brothers, we get to know the men of Easy, and really feel like they are our friends by the end of the series.  We suffer through the trials with them as the endure them in the series.  When watching The Pacific, you just don't get that feeling.  The character development is poor (compared to Band of Brothers), and so are their trials.

Now, I think if The Pacific had come out first, and we weren't comparing it back to Band of Brothers, we would have thought it was wonderful.  Then oh look, here is Band of Brothers, and it is even better, awesome!  Unfortunately for The Pacific, it didn't go that way.

I am looking forward to this new series though.

Member of DirtyDozen! www.dirtydozengaming.com/
Director of WoWp FRAG! ACE: F4U, Bf 110B, Bf 110E

vonKaiser #6 Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:25 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 844 battles
Yeah, I haven't tuned into a series religiously since Band of Brothers was on HBO (bought the HBO package just for it actually).  Add to the fact that I've got a signed copy of Donald L. Miller's book and have read it 6 or 7 times and it's a no brainer for me lol

NathanFlightLeader #7 Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:48 PM

Flying Kiwi

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles

View PostCroyd_Crenson, on 10 January 2014 - 10:11 PM, said:

One of the best shows ever made was Band of Brothers.

Pacific was so mediocre it couldn't hold anyone's attention.

Hopefully they have a good storyline to go by and aren't just looking to bore the hell out of us again with a Pacific like series.

View PostJarethG, on 10 January 2014 - 11:02 PM, said:

I love Band of Brothers.  It was such a strong mini series.  Anyone who is a WWII history buff should watch it if they haven't.  Like Nathan, I own the box sets of both Band of Brothers and The Pacific.  Like Croyd said though, I think The Pacific is mediocre at best.

When watching Band of Brothers, we get to know the men of Easy, and really feel like they are our friends by the end of the series.  We suffer through the trials with them as the endure them in the series.  When watching The Pacific, you just don't get that feeling.  The character development is poor (compared to Band of Brothers), and so are their trials.

Now, I think if The Pacific had come out first, and we weren't comparing it back to Band of Brothers, we would have thought it was wonderful.  Then oh look, here is Band of Brothers, and it is even better, awesome!  Unfortunately for The Pacific, it didn't go that way.

I am looking forward to this new series though.

I honestly have to disagree with you guys on that. While I don't think The Pacific is as good as Band of Brothers it certainly isn't mediocre. If you just think about both individually then The Pacific is just as exceptional as I don't think there are many movies, miniseries or TV shows out there that have captured the brutality of the Pacific Theatre so well. I agree that at the end of Band of Brothers you feel attached to the men (Half my favourite characters get killed or wounded) but I feel the same way with The Pacific just on a smaller level. Besides The Pacific has my two favourite characters out of both series, Merriell 'Snafu' Shelton and R.V. Burgin.

I think The Pacific spends more time focussing on the combat and horrors of the war then character development. The Pacific also jumps back and forth between three different groups of the First Marine Corps. Band of Brothers sticks with Easy Company the whole way.

"It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed."
"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" And "Oh S...!"
"Airspeed, altitude and brains. Two are always needed to successfully complete the flight."
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous.

_Laserguided_ #8 Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:15 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
The  Pacific wasn't Band of Brothers because it was different environment for starters, and what took place with Easy Company is so unique that anything shorts of something made up isn't going to compare. Many people were turned off to, The Pacific because it wasn't made to make the viewer feel good, but an attempt to immerse them into the literal hell that was the war in the Pacifica theater. In order to be true to authors of the books the storyline was created from there was no Band of Brothers II, but insight to the extreme, yet routine brutality that was the war against Japan. No enemy soldiers singing Silent Night outside Bastogne, but castrated Marines with body parts stuffed in their mouths... You read Robert Leckie's and E.B. Sledge's books you will see The Pacific for what it was...

Because it feels to me like you guys would rather play with [edit] Laserguided and that [edit] me off. A [edit]  lot.  -- Auto

"Dont doubt my computer skills,I started with a pentium 2" -- Chuck

Thanks zipper..-- Mars

Quesnel #9 Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:46 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 584 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

If the series turns out anything like this....................

.....................I will be finding a lot of time to watch it.

Wolcott #10 Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:41 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostQuesnel, on 11 January 2014 - 06:46 AM, said:

If the series turns out anything like this....................

.....................I will be finding a lot of time to watch it.

TBH, I'm unconvinced by the CGI. Perhaps if it were more like this (and those are real B-17s, P-51s and Spanish 109s btw).

Brewster - for lasting mastery of the air

Kiwiav8r #11 Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:55 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 603 battles
  • [ACES_] ACES_

I would like to think the CGI will get far more polished before its released.  When I saw this clip I thought it was real until I realized there weren't that many airworthy Mosquito's left.

"Credibility down, Kill Ratio up!" - Joe 'Hoser' Satrapa

Aces (pre v1.9):  Bulldog, A4N, Hawk III, F2A-1, I-16(e), Skua, Ar68, A6M1, P-36, XF4F-3, Bf-109B, Bf-110B, Bf-110 C6, Blenheim, Bf-109E, Bf-110E, P-40, P-40 M105, XFL-1, Spitfire I, M.20, Beaufighter, IL-2 (mod), XF4U-1, Mosquito, P-51A, Yak-7, Yak-1M, Bf-109F, La-5, Spitfire V, Me-410, F4U-1, Fw-190 A5, Yak-9, XP-50, P-39Q-15, Mustang Mk 1, P-38J, P-51D, Yak-9U, Bf-109G, La-7, Spitfire IX, A7M, Fw-190D, F7F, Yak-15, Me-262

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users