What did you get for 9 down?

Crossword_Contest_Event

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

FlakValleyExpress #1 Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

Captain

• 61 battles

So the event did not come across well for a contest due to answers being already published, however Pizzastorm did well with the idea. +1 for a start.

I may have been late for getting the PDF file, however I wanted to do the crossword puzzle to see if I  could do my personal best. The puzzle reminds me of one you see in the Sunday newspaper kids section of the comics. I think I did well and completed the puzzle.

A few items to note:

Things that Made me think
==========================
4a."The reason the American Army does so well in wartime, is that war is _____, and the American Army practices it on a daily basis." (a.chaos) I remember reading the quote, but did not recall it. Good brain twister.

8a.Pilot's motto? Wright brothers favorite song (or the moves)? (a.- I believe I can fly) BTW, never saw the movie Space Jam for the original hint. The rest of the answer form up based on other answers in the crossword.

3d. This tab, located in game, allows you to research and purchase aircraft, consumables, and other equipment (a.- store) I had to think this one through to completion.

9d. It's about six feet for a turkey vulture (a.- wingspan) I cheated using the internet for the answer, however it does make sense now

Made me laugh
=============
12a.Pilot's throne (a.- cockpit) - It reminded me of another type of throne in the gaol of old Williamsburg, VA

You mean planes?
=================
10a.Amount of players in a full flight (a.- three) I recall a B-17 flight was three. It was a guess for me.

WG I look forward to more crossword events in the future. I like doing crosswords for some strange reason.

1.X WoWP veteran - Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0 - Non-Russian

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature- Let's be Professional, Fix it! - Be the gold standard for MMO warplanes. Ditch the Zero and get with a Hero WoWP - Best troll game in 2018/2019

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

losttwo #2 Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 1704 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
wingspan

WEBEUS #3 Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 48 battles

I completed the puzzle but never saw the answers. not sure what they meant by "the answers were included". Oh well. The only question I disagreed with was "Gooses's Wingman". Goose was not a wingman, but a REO. If they were refering to his duties when they were at a bar, I would have to say Goose was Maverick's wingman. Goose was married.

As far as 10a, I belive the "Full flight" reference has to do with the game and not a particular aircraft. Three pilots can team up to make a "Full Flight"

Edited by WEBEUS, 07 January 2014 - 05:14 PM.

losttwo #4 Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:17 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 1704 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Iceman was Mavericks wing man.

https://www.youtube....h?v=eEMqL0JQUKU

FlakValleyExpress #5 Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

Captain

• 61 battles

View PostWEBEUS, on 07 January 2014 - 12:12 PM, said:

I completed the puzzle but never saw the answers. not sure what they meant by "the answers were included". Oh well. The only question I disagreed with was "Gooses's Wingman". Goose was not a wingman, but a REO. If they were refering to his duties when they were at a bar, I would have to say Goose was Maverick's wingman. Goose was married.

In regards to wingman in planes, I think that term is for another pilot. So you would be correct in referring to the REO for Goose. Most crossword puzzles clues can be either good or bad. I know that Yahoo on their crossword puzzles and can be weak or totally off track for the word they are looking for in the puzzle.

Edited by FlakValleyExpress, 07 January 2014 - 05:26 PM.

1.X WoWP veteran - Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0 - Non-Russian

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature- Let's be Professional, Fix it! - Be the gold standard for MMO warplanes. Ditch the Zero and get with a Hero WoWP - Best troll game in 2018/2019

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

WEBEUS #6 Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 48 battles

View Postlosttwo, on 07 January 2014 - 12:17 PM, said:

Iceman was Mavericks wing man.

https://www.youtube....h?v=eEMqL0JQUKU

Correct. My point is "Goose" doesn't have a wingman. He's wasn't a pilot.

WEBEUS #7 Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 48 battles

View PostFlakValleyExpress, on 07 January 2014 - 12:18 PM, said:

In regards to wingman in planes, I think that term is for another pilot. So you would be correct in referring to the REO for Goose. Most crossword puzzles clues can be either good or bad. I know that Yahoo on their crossword puzzles and be weak or totally off track for the word they are looking for in the puzzle.

Agreed

SansPeur #8 Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 19 battles

TL:DR text.

Gorovets Medal. 

Get 15 ground for Thunder. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users