"Position" Digits question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

FRED_TMK #1 Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:20 AM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles

Hello,

so, what I want to do is I want to get the small digits, on the rudder of the german planes, to show up in battle. They only show up in the hangar right now. Im guessing it must be some entry in the .xml of the respective plane, but I couldnt find the line...

Any ideas?

triptyx #2 Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:49 AM

Flying Llama

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • [FLLMA] FLLMA
The smaller digits used to be the plane's flight number.  I'm not sure if that's still the case though.

NathanFlightLeader #3 Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:25 AM

Flying Kiwi

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
If you are talking about the number on the tail, that indicates your position in the team. 1-15. They should show up. Unless you are talking about something else. I don't fly German planes so I'm not sure.
"It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed."
"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" And "Oh S...!"
"Airspeed, altitude and brains. Two are always needed to successfully complete the flight."
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous.

FRED_TMK #4 Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:18 AM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles

View PostNathanFlightLeader, on 28 December 2013 - 02:25 AM, said:

If you are talking about the number on the tail, that indicates your position in the team. 1-15. They should show up. Unless you are talking about something else. I don't fly German planes so I'm not sure.

Yes, exactly. They show up in the hangar (as 1) but not in battle... the ones one the fuselage do always show. And I want to make them both show.

Edited by FRED_TMK, 28 December 2013 - 06:19 AM.

NathanFlightLeader #5 Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:33 AM

Flying Kiwi

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles

View PostFRED_TMK, on 28 December 2013 - 07:18 PM, said:

Yes, exactly. They show up in the hangar (as 1) but not in battle... the ones one the fuselage do always show. And I want to make them both show.

Interesting. I just checked, and my TSh-3 has the number on the tail and fuselage but only the one on the tail shows up. You may be able to ask one of the resident skinners to change it for you so it shows both (I think they can do that, you will have to check with them). hawkeyededic is a very good skinner so send him a PM.

The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" And "Oh S...!"
"Airspeed, altitude and brains. Two are always needed to successfully complete the flight."

wookiee_monster #6 Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:59 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8 battles
i think the big numbers indicates your number on the team and the small number indicates your "flight" (i dunno if that's the right word, in WoT its called a platoon)

NathanFlightLeader #7 Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

Flying Kiwi

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles

View Postwookie_monster, on 28 December 2013 - 08:59 PM, said:

i think the big numbers indicates your number on the team and the small number indicates your "flight" (i dunno if that's the right word, in WoT its called a platoon)

I just tried checking but in three battles I couldn't find a platoon (Musn't be playing high enough lol) but I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. I will keep checking and confirm that.

Edit: Finally got in a match with a platoon. Yes if you are in a platoon you have the two numbers; your team roster number, and what platoon you are in, 1,2,3 etc.

Edited by NathanFlightLeader, 28 December 2013 - 11:22 AM.

FRED_TMK #8 Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:19 PM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles

View PostNathanFlightLeader, on 28 December 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

I just tried checking but in three battles I couldn't find a platoon (Musn't be playing high enough lol) but I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. I will keep checking and confirm that.

Edit: Finally got in a match with a platoon. Yes if you are in a platoon you have the two numbers; your team roster number, and what platoon you are in, 1,2,3 etc.

Oh, so the small tail one is the platoon number, okay good to know thanks! No how the frag am i supposed to change that, dont know that much about .xml coding tbh.

NathanFlightLeader #9 Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:57 PM

Flying Kiwi

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles

View PostFRED_TMK, on 29 December 2013 - 01:19 AM, said:

Oh, so the small tail one is the platoon number, okay good to know thanks! No how the frag am i supposed to change that, dont know that much about .xml coding tbh.

Like I said above talk to hawkeyededic. He's a community ace and a really good skinner who can make a custom skin for you. You will be able to see it in battle but no one else will though. He should be able to modify it so it will show the roster number for both but you will have to check with him first.

FRED_TMK #10 Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:34 PM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles

Alright, I am further now. The thing is, the small digit on the tail is the platoon index, it doesnt show up when you are not in a platoon. So, in order to get it to show ALWAYS, i tried this:

i edited the xml of a german plane (ar65): 

[...]

platoon_number

< decal >
               < id >    1    < /id >
                < texture >vehicles/airplanes/common/decals/digits/Germany/small/DE_01_sml.dds < /texture >
          < /decal >

[ ... ]
             < decal >
              < id > 16   < /id >  <- 16 is the one that shows when you are not in a platoon
              < texture > vehicles/airplanes/common/decals/digits/blank.dds < /texture >               

< /decal >  

So i changed the last entry, 16, like that: 

vehicles/airplanes/common/decals/digits/Germany/small/blank.dds

I created that path in the mod folder and altered the blank.dds to something else, that should show on the tail now when im not i a plattoon. 

However, the tail is still blank. 

So is there any other line/declaration i gotta edit?  Spaces are for the forums.

Edited by FRED_TMK, 28 December 2013 - 01:38 PM.

Claudio67 #11 Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 433 battles
Are you sure the res_mod folder is working? If not it's still getting the image from the res (non-mod, the standard one) folder.

FRED_TMK #12 Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:41 PM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles

View PostClaudio67, on 28 December 2013 - 02:05 PM, said:

Are you sure the res_mod folder is working? If not it's still getting the image from the res (non-mod, the standard one) folder.

It is, using multiple other mods.

FRED_TMK #13 Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:04 PM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles

Alright guys, update: 

I tried editing the blank.dds directly in the archive, thinking this MUST do it now, just for testing purposes. It did not. wth? So, this blank.dds is not used apparently. Im at a complete loss right now...

hawkeyededic #14 Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 962 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostFRED_TMK, on 28 December 2013 - 07:34 AM, said:

Alright, I am further now. The thing is, the small digit on the tail is the platoon index, it doesnt show up when you are not in a platoon. So, in order to get it to show ALWAYS, i tried this:

i edited the xml of a german plane (ar65): 

[...]

platoon_number

< decal >
               < id >    1    < /id >
                < texture >vehicles/airplanes/common/decals/digits/Germany/small/DE_01_sml.dds < /texture >
          < /decal >

[ ... ]
             < decal >
              < id > 16   < /id >  <- 16 is the one that shows when you are not in a platoon
              < texture > vehicles/airplanes/common/decals/digits/blank.dds < /texture >               

< /decal >  

So i changed the last entry, 16, like that: 

vehicles/airplanes/common/decals/digits/Germany/small/blank.dds

I created that path in the mod folder and altered the blank.dds to something else, that should show on the tail now when im not i a plattoon. 

However, the tail is still blank. 

So is there any other line/declaration i gotta edit?  Spaces are for the forums.

I am no expert at xml, I barely qualify as a novice, but something that sticks out at me above is you added an additional 16 characters to the string in line 16. It is my understanding that the string must be the same number of characters or it will not work. I might be wrong, and if I am someone please correct me.

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

FRED_TMK #15 Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:15 PM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles

View Posthawkeyededic, on 28 December 2013 - 04:45 PM, said:

I am no expert at xml, I barely qualify as a novice, but something that sticks out at me above is you added an additional 16 characters to the string in line 16. It is my understanding that the string must be the same number of characters or it will not work. I might be wrong, and if I am someone please correct me.

Tried it with the same path and the exact same number of characters. Didnt work. But again, this blank.dds does not seem to be used in the first place, i tried editing the archive directly. Need to redownload the game tonight, can anyone confirm this?

wookiee_monster #16 Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:42 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8 battles
what are you using to edit the XML?

FRED_TMK #17 Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:33 AM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles

View Postwookie_monster, on 29 December 2013 - 10:42 AM, said:

what are you using to edit the XML?

WoT mod tools 0.5

2 user(s) are reading this topic