Aermacchi MB.324

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

Raptor_Fulcrum #1 Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

Master Sergeant

• Senior Alpha Test Veteran
  • 0 battles
The MB-324 was just a project, like the SIAI-Marchetti SM-10X of 1950.

http://www.egamers.i.../MB-324-bip.jpg

About this jet plane I found few information. It was designed in 1949-1950, and thereafter was changed in three different versions.

In these last months I've been busy, but I never stopped to search for information about Italian aircraft. I discovered something more about this Macchi fighter.

I am now able to make order with all projects of engineer Ermanno Bazzocchi.

Interceptor (1950)
powered by de Havilland Ghost 103
Top speed 1030 Km/h

Experimental aircraft (1951)
Single-engined, two seater. Powered by Turbomeca Marboré.
Designed to test the arrow wing configuration. The same type of experiment was proposed by Stefanutti during the presentation of Vindex, even that was not realized.
This experimental aircraft can be compared all'Ambrosini Sagiettario but it was made ​​by modifying an existing aircraft.
Spoiler                     

Trainer aircraft (1951) - original designation: "Velivolo da addestramento a reazione MB326".
Single-engined, two seater . Powered by Armstrong Siddeley Adder.
Bazzocchi used this project as a base for his next aircraft MB326, working in parallel with the prototype MB323.
Spoiler                     

MB327 - lightweight fighter for tactical support (1953-1954)
The study of the MB324 project was redesigned in 1953 to join NATO competition for a  lightweight fighter for tactical support. Bazzocchi started the study with two jet-engines, Armstrong Siddeley Viper 8 or Allison 520C (no info) and then on only one Bristol Siddeley Orpheus with 2,200 kg of thrust (like G.91 and Ariete II). All configurations had a weight higher than that max for the contest.
These are the only images that contain information on armaments. Probably they are 4 Browning M2 .50 machine guns, mounted on "womb" of the aircraft with the ammunition container located behind the pilot.
Spoiler                     

Bazzocchi thought also a modification to the initial design of MB324, with two engines Armstrong Siddeley Viper 8 to get a reduction in weight that arrived at 4250 kg.

Both projects (MB327 and MB324) were not followed.

In fifties Italian magazines is possible to find the "commercial" of this aircraft.

When I will buy this book (51€  :Smile_unsure:  ), I will have much more information. EDIT: bought it!

Sources: Alata 1950 011, Cielo 1953 11, FLIGHT 8 June 1951, Never give up! Ermanno Bazzocchi e l'aeronautica italiana

Edited by Raptor_Fulcrum, 26 July 2012 - 05:08 PM.

Raptor_Fulcrum #2 Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

Master Sergeant

• Senior Alpha Test Veteran
  • 0 battles
:Smile_great: Updated information.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users