HairlesMonkyBoy's Mouse Settings for WoWP

advanced mouse settings key bindings interface Instrumentation keyboard Markers Reticle

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

HairlesMonkyBoy #1 Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:07 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2610 battles

Advanced Mouse Settings:

Previous: shot_013.jpg         Current: shot_016.jpg 
    I turn off automatic flaps because there are times when I want to turn with only my elevator so I don't lose a lot of airspeed in a turn that doesn't need to be extremely tight. You do have to press an extra button at times, though.

Graph:
    Standard Mode causes the aircraft to go where you point the mouse, similar to WoT. Vector mode makes the mouse behave like the tip of a joystick. For me, the main draw back of Standard mode is that you have to repeatedly pick up and put down the mouse in order to perform a continuous turn. The main draw back of Vector mode is that it is difficult to aim at a target. This graph shape combines the best features of Standard and Vector in my opinion. At a small radius, this configuration acts like Standard mode, the plane goes where you point the mouse. This makes it easier to aim at targets. At a large radius, this configuration acts more like Vector mode, you will not have to continuously lift your mouse and place it back down in order to perform a continuous turn. It will feel strange at first since at a medium radius this graph shape behaves somewhere in-between the two, but for me it did not take too long to get use to.

Camera Inertia:
    Controls how responsive the camera is to movements of the mouse. When all the way down, the camera behaves much like the one for WoT and the cursor remains in the center of the screen at all times. As you increase the slider, the camera is allowed to lag behind the movement of the cursor and the cursor no longer remains in the center of the screen at all times. To be honest, I'm not sure why anyone would want this anything else but all the way down. I lose track of where my cursor is when it isn't simply in the center of my screen.

Camera Level-Off Zone:

Behaves much like the "Level-Off Zone" setting except for the camera rather than the aircraft itself. The camera will not level off until the cursor is within the specified radius. When all the way down, the camera will not level off until the aircraft is flying perfectly straight. When all the way up, the camera will level off regardless of whether or not the aircraft is performing a turn. When Camera Roll Rate is all the way down this setting is irrelevant.

Camera Level-Off Delay:

Controls how long the camera waits before switching back to right side up once it has become upside down. When Camera Roll Rate is all the way down this setting is irrelevant.

Camera Roll Rate:

Controls how quickly the camera turns on its axis while switching from upside down to right side up and vice versa.

Effective Zone Size:
    Behaves the same as and is a renaming for the old "Target Tracking Zone Size" setting. This determines how far you have to move your mouse from the center of the screen before you reach the maximum. In other words, moving it further than this maximum radius will not cause you to turn any faster. Essentially, it adjusts your sensitivity, but in a slightly different way.

Level-Off Rate:
    Determines how quickly the plane rolls to level its wings when the cursor is near the center of the screen. Having it all the way down prevents the aircraft from leveling off on its own. I like this, because sometimes I like to roll my plane a certain way in preparation for a future turn, and I don't want it to return to level.

Level-Off Zone Size:
    Determines how close the cursor has to be to the center of the screen before the plane initiates the Level-Off Rate. Has no effect when Level-Off Rate is all the way down.

Roll Acceleration:
    Determines the trade-off between rudder and elevator when performing a turn. Specifically, when the setting is all the way up, the aircraft will tend to roll and use the elevators for turns. When the setting is all the way down the aircraft will tend to rely more on the rudder for turning.

Split-S Height:
    Determines how the plane reacts to pulling the cursor straight down. When the setting is all the way down, upon pulling the cursor straight down the plane will roll first to an inverted position and then pitch up (toward the ground). When the setting is all the way up, the plane will simply pitch down with the elevator without rolling first.  Putting the slider somewhere in the middle determines how far you have to pull the cursor down before the aircraft will perform a roll to an inverted position. I prefer the latter, because it gives me more direct control. Usually when I pull the cursor down I do not want to roll, I want my plane to pitch down quickly without delay in order to take advantage of a fleeting opportunity. If I do want to roll, I can either initiate the roll with the keyboard, or pull the mouse slightly to the left or right before pulling it down.

Weapon Bindings:
shot_004.jpg

Weapons group 2 tends to be the big guns on mixed caliber aircraft. They also tend to be the guns with the greatest range, and fastest overheat. Occasionally and especially in the German fighters, I will fire only the big guns at a distant target, 700m-1000m for 15mm and up, and then switch to firing all weapons once my smaller caliber guns are also in range, <700m for 12.7 mm and down.

Keyboard Flight Bindings:
shot_005.jpg

I use WASD for directional controls and RF for boost and air brake. This is similar to WoT. I started using space bar for my flaps so that I could use my thumb instead of a precious finger. This way, I can be using my flaps, and still have my pointer, middle and ring fingers available for the common three button combo: air brake/boost, a roll direction, and a pitch direction.

Instrumentation:
shot_007.jpg

I use the altitude indicator variant 3 because it is useful to know exactly the angle at which you are diving or climbing so that you can be more consistent and have a better understanding of how your aircraft performs. 

I use the barometric altimeter primarily, since it is more consistent between different maps and will give you a better more reliable measure of how your aircraft will perform. I only use the radar altimeter when I am flying close to the ground.

I do not use the radar, since i use the mini map instead. However, i did adjust the radar area to 1000m using "[ ]" because this also effects the radius of the circle around your plane on the mini map. Go into a training mission and fly level with and toward a ground Target while watching your mini map and you'll be able to use the range to the target to determine what the radius of your circle is in meters. Having it at 1000m is good because this is near the maximum effective range of most high caliber guns.

​Reticle:
shot_008.jpg

This is the one I like.

Markers:
shot_009.jpg

This is how I set mine up.

Video Guide:

Edited by HairlesMonkyBoy, 06 March 2014 - 08:57 PM.

_Lindy_ #2 Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

Feedback Airedale

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1905 battles
  • [5LINE] 5LINE
Honestly at first I wasnt even going to read this as I was like meh...more info that doesnt explain much at all. But I was wrong very good job on the description of what each setting does and should help new players. I would like to see more of what the graph does and how changes effect controls.

datum perficiemus munus

209 #3 Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:15 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5817 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
Great Post, alot easier to understand than others that have been posted on here.

SoulMaze #4 Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:39 PM

Master Sergeant

• 7309 battles
http://worldofwarplanes.com/en/news/game-tips/mouse-controls-explained/

losttwo #5 Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:38 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
Thanks for showing others a possible configuration for their mice settings and game settings.

Edited by losttwo, 16 December 2013 - 06:39 PM.

HairlesMonkyBoy #6 Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:41 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2610 battles

View PostLindy, on 16 December 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

Honestly at first I wasnt even going to read this as I was like meh...more info that doesnt explain much at all. But I was wrong very good job on the description of what each setting does and should help new players. I would like to see more of what the graph does and how changes effect controls.

Feel free to type something up and I'll edit it and add it to the main post.

HairlesMonkyBoy #7 Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:42 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2610 battles
Perhaps this thread should be used as a repository for the different graphs that we all use and their trade-offs/benefits.

Edited by HairlesMonkyBoy, 17 December 2013 - 03:43 AM.

HairlesMonkyBoy #8 Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:45 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2610 battles

I have to update this thread. I will do so as soon as I acquire a sufficient grasp on how the new settings work.

Done

Edited by HairlesMonkyBoy, 19 December 2013 - 04:34 PM.

HairlesMonkyBoy #9 Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2610 battles
Updated the "graph" section, added a "Camera Level-Off Zone" section (missed it before by mistake), and made various small edits to the main post.

Edited by HairlesMonkyBoy, 08 January 2014 - 09:40 PM.

Captain_F22ACE #10 Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:26 PM

Boom'N'Zoom rights activist

• Community Ace
  • 1180 battles
  • [PTATO] PTATO

View PostHairlesMonkyBoy, on 08 January 2014 - 04:16 PM, said:

A lot of people are viewing this topic so here is a bump.

Most likely since I put this thread together: All The Important Threads - Release Version! I've noticed a lot more replies and views for the threads I linked.

HairlesMonkyBoy #11 Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:22 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2610 battles

View PostHairlesMonkyBoy, on 17 December 2013 - 03:42 AM, said:

Perhaps this thread should be used as a repository for the different graphs that we all use and their trade-offs/benefits.

I think it could really benefit the community and its growth if some of the experienced players who use a customized control scheme could give a screen shot or two and sort of explain why they chose what they chose/pros cons. It could help players to have some starting point to find out which style suits them best. Please, if you have the time, I encourage anyone with something to contribute do so, especially if your control style differs greatly from mine. Thanks!

Martog #12 Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:16 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2678 battles

good post . that's why I don't fly anymore if you get a mouse set up good you dont even have to fly the plane just move the crosshairs around the screen and

the plane game flys the plane

Edited by Martog, 19 January 2014 - 12:18 PM.

_Lindy_ #13 Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

Feedback Airedale

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1905 battles
  • [5LINE] 5LINE

View PostMartog, on 19 January 2014 - 07:16 AM, said:

good post . that's why I don't fly anymore if you get a mouse set up good you dont even have to fly the plane just move the crosshairs around the screen and

Wrong, a mouse setup like vector is no different that using a joystick.

datum perficiemus munus

HairlesMonkyBoy #14 Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:44 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2610 battles

View PostMartog, on 19 January 2014 - 12:16 PM, said:

The game is designed to utilize a wide variety of control schemes so that it is easy to learn for a larger number of players whom can then be successful and have fun playing it without too great of a learning curve; This is a very well engineered design if you ask me. I don't intend to use a joystick any time soon (If I did, I'd start a new account so I don't ruin my statistics lol), but the game is more than just flying and the mouse controls don't detract at all from the tactical portion of the game, the part that I enjoy and excel at most. My control style allows me to have what I perceive to be a maximum level of control of my aircraft with a low level of difficulty. This allows me to focus on tactics rather than the fundamentals of flying a plane with a joystick. My goal in this thread is to enable others to achieve the same or similar level of control and (hopefully) success, so I reiterate: If you are an experienced player and you have a customized mouse control scheme that differs from mine then i encourage you to post it and explain it. The community thanks you.

jzb811227 #15 Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:12 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 896 battles
dingdingding

HairlesMonkyBoy #16 Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:23 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2610 battles
I updated the descriptions of the Camera Settings after discovering that settings Camera Roll Rate all the way down prevents the camera from becoming upside down. I also added a screen shot of my current Advanced Mouse settings and Graph.

jurn #17 Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:59 PM

Airman Basic

• 1993 battles
thanks is so good

cmd_hellspawn #18 Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:38 PM

Airman Basic

• 2 battles
im now downloading the game and this looks like it will help more for me. thanks ill give it a try.:glasses:

BitterClinger #19 Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3931 battles

Ok, here is what I've been flying with for the last month or so. It still needs some tweaking, but it works well enough to get the job done for now.

The biggest problems I had to solve as a Mouse user is the level-off rate for both the plane and the camera. In my XF4F-3 Gorovets video, you can see the shimmy in my wings as I pump the Roll button on my mouse to maintain my turns. I had just been forced to reset my controls and the Level-Off rate was nearly immediate by default.

The other big problem for me as a Mouse user is the camera roll. I have gotten used to flying and fighting upside down (not just the plane, the screen), but I am much less effective when doing so. This is a setting that still needs some work because it still takes much too long for the camera to right itself when it flips.

_Lindy_ #20 Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:10 PM

Feedback Airedale

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1905 battles
  • [5LINE] 5LINE
I will post mine later, Bitter I had a problem before with what you described with the shimmy in the wings, If I can remeber correctly I just lowered my graph ever so slightly and it fixed it (might be worth a try or I might be full of crap)

datum perficiemus munus

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users