Jump to content


Japanese planes are one of the hardest to fly effectively


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

Carl_the_Cuttlefish #1 Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:15 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 12 battles
  • 1,416
  • Member since:
    11-06-2012

At first they seem like the most newb friendly, they're the easiest to just turn in circles and shoot.

However, if you want to be good at these planes, especially at higher tiers, you have to know how to conserve your airspeed as continual turning drains it. But the main and best way to use this whole branch is to hang back and snatch a plane not focused on you and either try to vaporize them right their or get them locked into a spinning dogfight, where you'll win.

 

If you fly Japanese plane correctly, you just vaporize people

If you fly them incorrectly, you get vaporized.


"It's about to get real inky in here!!!"

- Carl the Cuttlefish, the artist formerly known as S01836775, now in an all new user friendly format.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm whining in my posts 

And why do we balance???


triptyx #2 Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:16 PM

    Flying Llama

  • Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • 1,622
  • [FLLMA] FLLMA
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
Pretty spot on.  Their fragility really means that you have to be extra vigilant about your surroundings and be ready to break off the attack and evade if anyone turns their sights on you, especially a BnZer.

djwhodat #3 Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:18 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Community Ace
  • 12 battles
  • 542
  • [SF-G] SF-G
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

So true

 


shot_108.jpg


Kelsrik #4 Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:19 PM

    Airman Basic

  • Member
  • 0 battles
  • 2
  • Member since:
    11-30-2013

and the bad thing about this is? if you can master the plane awesome. to use a comparison the Japanese  planes are just like the sneaky rogue. wait for the most opportune  time to strike then pull back.

 



learpilot #5 Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:28 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 5 battles
  • 645
  • Member since:
    05-18-2013

View PostS01836775, on 13 December 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

At first they seem like the most newb friendly, they're the easiest to just turn in circles and shoot.

However, if you want to be good at these planes, especially at higher tiers, you have to know how to conserve your airspeed as continual turning drains it. But the main and best way to use this whole branch is to hang back and snatch a plane not focused on you and either try to vaporize them right their or get them locked into a spinning dogfight, where you'll win.

 

If you fly Japanese plane correctly, you just vaporize people

If you fly them incorrectly, you get vaporized.


TRUE DAT


OHIO STATE Football isn't a matter of LIFE or DEATH,its much more serious than that.

learpilot #6 Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:29 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 5 battles
  • 645
  • Member since:
    05-18-2013
The A7 is the best of this line it can outurn everything has decent boost and devastating firepower.
OHIO STATE Football isn't a matter of LIFE or DEATH,its much more serious than that.

Carl_the_Cuttlefish #7 Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 12 battles
  • 1,416
  • Member since:
    11-06-2012

View Postlearpilot, on 13 December 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

The A7 is the best of this line it can outurn everything has decent boost and devastating firepower.

A7M is amazing. And it's cute.

But the JW1 or whatever the tier VIII is is even cooler. It's more Japanese than the zeros in my opinion; it exaggerates Japanese features

 

But the 4 things you HAVE to do in order to be a good Japanese pilot are:

1. avoid getting shot in the intercept, or the moment when two planes fly at each other, mainly this is the first contact time. I don't even go for any shot at the enemy in this stage.

2. bring the planes down to low altitude. Don't even bother going above 5k ft in these planes unless unusual circumstances

3. plan your attack. You want a one on one battle with a fighter

4. watch whats going on around you on the minimap. HF's can evaporate you if you don't know there going to budge in on your dogfight

 


"It's about to get real inky in here!!!"

- Carl the Cuttlefish, the artist formerly known as S01836775, now in an all new user friendly format.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm whining in my posts 

And why do we balance???


Fog_Cruiser_Yuubari #8 Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:11 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Alpha tester
  • 30 battles
  • 114
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
I'm not the kind of guy who resorts to Bf "boom and zoom" tactics. I prefer to be more mobile, out-maneuvering other planes. That's why I love the Japanese and British planes the best. 

My Long List of Planes

-FOG-


gunlion #9 Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

    Community Manager

  • Member
  • 0 battles
  • 874
  • Member since:
    11-19-2013

View PostS01836775, on 13 December 2013 - 08:54 AM, said:

But the 4 things you HAVE to do in order to be a good Japanese pilot are:

1. avoid getting shot in the intercept, or the moment when two planes fly at each other, mainly this is the first contact time. I don't even go for any shot at the enemy in this stage.

2. bring the planes down to low altitude. Don't even bother going above 5k ft in these planes unless unusual circumstances

3. plan your attack. You want a one on one battle with a fighter

4. watch whats going on around you on the minimap. HF's can evaporate you if you don't know there going to budge in on your dogfight

 

Spot on. IJN fighters are "glass cannons": they deal good damage but can't take hits, so you need to approach battles with planning and foresight before engaging. Watch what's going on on the minimap, use your radar constantly, and look for enemies who are not aware of you or are otherwise engaged. Once you're in a dogfight, use your maneuverability to out-turn the other plane and cut them down. Make sure you're managing the heat of your guns, as well! 



oldkye #10 Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:28 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • 1,477
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

Yeah you guys are all spot on I always switch from the side I've started on to the other so that I'm a few thousands meters back then watch as all the planes descend into the fray and pick up the last ones in or the oblivious and you have to be ready to immediately give up your target if someone picks up on you.(this is fine because you are nimble enough to get behind most planes that attack you)

 

Never fight 2-3 on one your job is to clear everyone's tail and if you pick up the GA right away or stall trying to pop a few rounds at the HF above your good as dead so always be with friendly fighters and planes.



CloakRogue #11 Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:27 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • 179
  • [ARMDA] ARMDA
  • Member since:
    01-21-2012

View Postgunlion, on 13 December 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

 

Spot on. IJN fighters are "glass cannons": they deal good damage but can't take hits, so you need to approach battles with planning and foresight before engaging. Watch what's going on on the minimap, use your radar constantly, and look for enemies who are not aware of you or are otherwise engaged. Once you're in a dogfight, use your maneuverability to out-turn the other plane and cut them down. Make sure you're managing the heat of your guns, as well! 

Yes! The radar and mini-map are an IJN fighter pilots best friend.



losttwo #12 Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:00 PM

    which way do we go?

  • Community Ace
  • 4469 battles
  • 13,774
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
  • Member since:
    05-15-2012
If you can get an ACE in a Japanese Fighter, then you are truly a Great Pilot. I completely agree, these planes take more skill than any other plane in the inventory.

Edited by losttwo, 13 December 2013 - 08:01 PM.


Hypertion #13 Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:24 AM

    Senior Airman

  • Member
  • 0 battles
  • 13
  • Member since:
    12-13-2013
True stuff said.. i love these fast an twitchy planes... my highest teir plane is currently a japanese fighter. i love it when someone flying a plane like the German fighters try and turn fight you. hell i can often sucker people in by faking a head on attack against better firepower and then wowing them with a crazy twist that lets me pass them and start turn fighting them with ease... one of my favorite methods to fight in this game.

Carl_the_Cuttlefish #14 Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:00 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 12 battles
  • 1,416
  • Member since:
    11-06-2012

View PostHypertion, on 20 December 2013 - 11:24 AM, said:

True stuff said.. i love these fast an twitchy planes... my highest teir plane is currently a japanese fighter. i love it when someone flying a plane like the German fighters try and turn fight you. hell i can often sucker people in by faking a head on attack against better firepower and then wowing them with a crazy twist that lets me pass them and start turn fighting them with ease... one of my favorite methods to fight in this game.


Huh, you use the same tricks I do:teethhappy::popcorn:


"It's about to get real inky in here!!!"

- Carl the Cuttlefish, the artist formerly known as S01836775, now in an all new user friendly format.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm whining in my posts 

And why do we balance???


JDMFreakz #15 Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:42 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 106 battles
  • 1,654
  • Member since:
    10-20-2012

the most important on flying the Japanese plane is:

 

do NOT pub, your HP is too low.

 

come face a lonely enemy flying at your altitude range.


 


Capstan #16 Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:26 PM

    Senior Airman

  • Member
  • 0 battles
  • 18
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

I had given up on the Japanese line initially (at tier 3), they are indeed fragile and have low firepower. I had the tier 4 A6M1 researched so I thought I would try it out this week. OMG! Now that I have played the game a little more I am better able to appreciate the incredible agility of these planes. The A6M1 can out-turn anything I am coming up against BY FAR, plus it has amazing airspeed. I am regularly scoring 3-4 kills per game plus multiple damages, its my new favorite plane.

 

As others have said, this does come at a price. You won't beat anyone head to head, and if you start taking fire you better put that tight turn radius to good use immediately. Its has a very low altitude ceiling, many planes can easily climb out of your reach and zoom you from up there. However, most of the action after the first 2-3 minutes of the typical match is taking place below 4,000 feet (frequently WAY below) as people lose energy, and this is squarely in the wheelhouse of the Japanese planes.



JDMFreakz #17 Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:05 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 106 battles
  • 1,654
  • Member since:
    10-20-2012

so many peoples flying the IJN line now..

 

that line is no longer special for me.. lol


 


losttwo #18 Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:40 PM

    which way do we go?

  • Community Ace
  • 4469 battles
  • 13,774
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
  • Member since:
    05-15-2012
Welcome to the Ninja of air combat.

pyantoryng #19 Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:09 PM

    Colonel

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 2060 battles
  • 8,387
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostJDMFreakz, on 02 January 2014 - 12:05 PM, said:

so many peoples flying the IJN line now..

 

that line is no longer special for me.. lol

 

You mean A7M and above, or just Zero?



WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

JDMFreakz #20 Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:21 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 106 battles
  • 1,654
  • Member since:
    10-20-2012

View Postpyantoryng, on 02 January 2014 - 08:09 PM, said:

 

You mean A7M and above, or just Zero?

 

all of them..

 

i always see them in a combat now..

 

so i moved on to the heavy yaks now.


 





2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users