Zero Bombs?

Zero Bombs Bacon

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Zero Bombs? (36 members have cast votes)

Do you Carry and drop Bombs on your Zero?

1. No I carry zero bombs on my Zero. (21 votes [58.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 58.33%

2. Yes I use bombs but not all the time. (3 votes [8.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

3. I use them every match. (3 votes [8.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

4. Are you joking? if I could put ten I would! (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I only carry bacon into battle. (9 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Hide poll

oldkye #1 Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:19 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles

Just wanted to do a poll I rarely carry bombs on my Zero's I never get a chance to use them before I'm dog fighting and don't want to take the hit in speed but I want to know what others do?

I find all of the Zero's to be great planes and love out turning other fighters and would love a few bomb marks on my plane but I feel I can't have both my loves what about you guys?

PressureLine #2 Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:25 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [FTE] FTE
Never ever ever. The Zero's maneuverability is pretty much all it has going for it, why would you give that up?

amade #3 Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:43 AM

• Alpha tester
  • 452 battles

View PostPressureLine, on 13 December 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

Never ever ever. The Zero's maneuverability is pretty much all it has going for it, why would you give that up?

^^^^^^^

If you want to bomb stuff, get a GA.

oldkye #4 Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:47 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles

Not so much want to bomb things just since I have it pop a few at the start maybe get a kill and a mark every few games just extra exp and credits.

But it seems so risky and not worth it.

Mercsn #5 Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:29 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2601 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

TLDR:  Putting bombs on your light fighter is bad for you and good for the other team.

I had a few destroyer medals in my a7m during the last stages of beta.  I think it was still 3 air kills/ 3 ground kills in a battle at the time.  That said, I also had about a 30% w/r in that plane.  And...stats from beta were wiped.  Without a stat wipe, I'll leave the bombs to my Russian and low tier (2 & 3) german HF friends.

I was in a tier 2-3 match the other day and a newbie in an F2F was in a close dogfight with a p23 and they were the last two alive (after two more of the Green Team crashed into each other trying to be the hero to kill the Red Team p23).  So, in this last man standing 1 v 1 dogfight, our F2F.....had one of his bombs left under a wing.  Yup, right there on his port side (right side for you die-hard "carrier based fighter" guys) wing he had a bomb hanging there.  So, I wisely start typing hints in chat like "f2f, drop the bomb, press spacebar!"  Nothing.  So, I start using caps, "F2F!! DROP UR LAST BOMB!  PRESS SPACEBAR!"  Still, nothing.  This gets me wondering if [spacebar] is still the default key for dropping bombs (mine is remapped to just B as I use space for manual pitch up control).  Heck, the guy managed to drop one already, right?  I figure I'll just make it simple and let him figure out what key he used before, "F2F, DROP UR LAST BOMB!!  It's hurting ur turning!"  So, by now, he's noticed the chat messag and figured out how to drop his last bomb so he can win the dogfight with the last red team plane, right?

Wrong.  He did NOT drop his last bomb and got himself shot down.  By the time this happened, at least one other teammate had jumped in chat trying, in vain, to help me get the guy to dump his ordnance.  This took long enough that had the F2F pilot NOT had the bomb, he would have won the dogfight and earned the Save. 

Sure, it's a bit frustrating watching this sort of nonsense when you have 4 kills and really wish you hadn't done that one stupid thing that got you killed when it looked like the game was in the bag at 5 v 2 Green Team favor.  The point here is, leave the bombs off the aircraft altogether, don't even equip the module and zero the ammo (remove the module entirely from the "upgrades" menu), unless you are in a Russian Attack aircraft.

Ground targets are TERRIBLE XP.  They are TERRIBLE credits.  The bomb probably costs more than whatever credits you'll earn from destroying a target (although, they may have changed this recently as some of the ordnance looks very cheap).  Either way, a win and it's 50% credit/xp bonus is a LOT better than whatever damage those bombs will do. 

Once you've played enough that you can remember to dump the bombs if you engage in air-air combat before a ground target presents itself, feel free to load the bombs...knowing full well that you aren't afraid to dump them if you get in a fight (they are REALLY cheap credit wise so don't think you're losing creds if u dump them).  Remember, you don't need a target to drop a bomb, just hit your "drop bomb" button until they are off the aircraft. 

Bombs (and rockets) will also make players do stupid things like trade altitude (dive down to get a shot on a ground target) or fly straight (while lining up a bomb or rocket attack) which will make them easy pickings for non-stupid players (players who did not choose to use a light fighter as an ordnance platform).  IJN planes can somewhat get around the negative of "trading altitude" for a bomb kill because the current game mechanics stall those planes out at about 100m (or whatever silly hardcap WG gave them), but in a US or DE plane, trading altitude is just going to make you a target and get you killed quickly and leave you wondering why everyone says the Bf110b or P-51a is OP. 

This game is currently, unfortunately, all about altitude.  If you have it, you are in a much better position to win a fight than if you don't.  Doing anything that gets you to lose altitude, like lining up a bomb drop at low altitude, is just bad gameplay.

If you DO like blowing stuff up with bombs, play a Russian Attack plane, and good luck.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

PressureLine #6 Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:18 AM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [FTE] FTE

also worth mentioning that the two 100lb (F3F) 2x30kg (A5M) 2x60kg (A6M) 8x20lb (Demon) bombs don't do enough damage to take out an at-tier (never mind if you are bottom tiered) HQ. Every time I see an F3F go "I'm gonna bomb the HQ" I feel like shooting them down myself and saving the enemy team the trouble.

As Merc said, GT xp/credits is laughable.

Game 1: A5M, tier II-III, victory. 3 plane kills. 895xp + 23232cr

Game 2: BSh-2, tier III-V, victory. 1 plane kill, 7 gt kills. 799xp + 19693cr

Game 3: BSh-2, tier III-V, victory. 1 plane kill, 13 gt kills. 1045xp + 23253cr

to equal credit earnings on a 3 kill game in a tier III fighter, you need to not only kill a plane, but destroy 13 ground targets. You aren't going to notice the xp or credits you get for killing 2 GT. All you do when you equip your Zero with a bomb is make yourself an easy kill.

FryaDuck #7 Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:20 AM

Squadron Leader Knucklehead

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
A fighter with bombs is like a GA dogfighting......and not attacking ground targets....
Oderint, dum metuant, tunc ad infernum - Let them hate as long as they fear then go to hell
1st AlphaAce IL-2 (t)(Air)

Wolcott #8 Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:03 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I wouldn't mind carrying a bombs to destroy a few ground targets, if only it didn't affect the performance of the aircraft even after dropping/jettisoning them.

Brewster - for lasting mastery of the air

Mercsn #9 Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:15 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2601 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostWolcott, on 13 December 2013 - 12:03 AM, said:

I wouldn't mind carrying a bombs to destroy a few ground targets, if only it didn't affect the performance of the aircraft even after dropping/jettisoning them.

There are a few problems with this line of thinking.  First, while you are trying to find and make an attack run on a suitable ground target, your teammates are missing your help in the air battle.  Second, it usually requires trading (losing) altitude to make an accurate bombing run.  In this game, the lower you are flying the less effective you are in the air fight. 

Third, if you attack the nearest ground targets with your bombs you are really doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.  Read that again.  You have two bombs.  You dropped them on and destroyed two targets near your starting location on the battle map and you did....ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!  As Pressureline pointed out, the credits and xp gained from those two ground targets is almost nothing (really, no joke, practically nothing).  So, you gained virtually no credits or xp for your trouble, but at least you helped your team by putting two supremacy points on the scoreboard right? 

WRONG!  Had you NOT attacked those two ground targets, your team's Russian (GROUND) Attack Aircraft would have attacked those two, same ground targets and also destroyed them.  So, basically, a LF attacking the nearest ground targets is just waving a happy middle finger at their teammates flying GA (ground attack aircraft).  Those GA planes are MUCH slower, so it takes them longer to get to targets.  By a LF killing closer targets instead of leaving them for GA, it means the GA has to fly out that much farther before finding a target.  Since GA typically have a short lifespan, that means that GA pilot might get to do nothing that match, since a LF came and did it for him. 

"Well, OK then Mr. Smarty Mercsn, I'll just hold my bombs til later and THEN drop them on something that the GA aren't going to get.  Ha! There!"

Except, then the whole time before you get to that magical ground target, you are flying around with ordnance strapped to your plane which adds weight and drag (which are simulated in the game) that reduce your speed and maneuvering stats until you get rid of it.  

So, there really is NO practical benefit for a light fighter carrying ordnance.  If you put bombs on your LF, it's a lose-lose scenario.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

oldkye #10 Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:33 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles

Actually when I play GA I always skip those first few for several reasons.

1. other things kill them HF exe.....

2. I'm trying to hide low and slow at the start those first ones are often high, right where fighters come from, and too few and far between.

3. Once I start killing ground targets the enemy's map starts pinging and my clock starts ticking so I want to be as close to their HQ un-noticed as I can before I start my run.

Does that make it more helpful? no lol but as long as your willing to drop those bombs at nothing 9/10 games and waste the credits so you can pick up on enemy planes I don't really think they hurt problem is anyone willing to "carry" bombs wants to hit things with them lol and will often die to do it.

pyantoryng #11 Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:44 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2063 battles

F2G with its frame full of ordinances? That's an even easier picking than an actual GA aircraft of the same tier.

Now on a weaker airframe with extra 500kg on its wings or 250kg in its belly...nay, I think not. Also, 60kg bombs for the 'M1 model is not powerful enough to even matter.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

PressureLine #12 Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:21 AM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [FTE] FTE

View PostMercsn, on 13 December 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

Had you NOT attacked those two ground targets, your team's Russian (GROUND) Attack Aircraft would have attacked those two, same ground targets and also destroyed them.  So, basically, a LF attacking the nearest ground targets is just waving a happy middle finger at their teammates flying GA (ground attack aircraft).  Those GA planes are MUCH slower, so it takes them longer to get to targets.  By a LF killing closer targets instead of leaving them for GA, it means the GA has to fly out that much farther before finding a target.  Since GA typically have a short lifespan, that means that GA pilot might get to do nothing that match, since a LF came and did it for him.

I consider the enemy GT's closest to spawn be attack plane deathtraps, because at the start of the match, where are the enemy planes gonna come from? Oh yeah, right over the top of those GT, I'll take another route and probably survive, HF/LF carry bombs/rockets are welcome to them. If they are still there on my way back to friendly AAA, and destroying them won't jeopardise my survival, I'll take them out, no big deal. Same with the HQ, makes my job easier if a HF nukes it before I hit the base area with all dat AAA, but after they drop their bombs, they had better start shooting @ planes.

vashcom #13 Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:46 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 8 battles

I do a LOT of Japanese ground strikes. Right now I carry them on T2 T4 T6 and T8.

On the J7 I'll decide depending on starting point, map and team content to either eject

stores (drop them right away) or go for a quick strike.

JDMFreakz #14 Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:26 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 106 battles
Zero bombs for Zero, because its HP is nearly Zero to compensate the handling penalty of carrying bombs.

Darcel_Jones #15 Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

• 0 battles
So where does everyone stand on using rockets on fighters,as bombs seem to be a no go.

pyantoryng #16 Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:11 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2063 battles

View PostDarcel_Jones, on 13 December 2013 - 02:46 PM, said:

So where does everyone stand on using rockets on fighters,as bombs seem to be a no go.

No ordinance on anything not belonging to the Shturmovik family of planes...the only exception being Me 410 and its 210mm rockets.

i.e. no ordinance for light fighter.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

FlakValleyExpress #17 Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:13 PM

Captain

• 64 battles

No bombs. You'll get picked to pieces by AAA. Then you will more than likely get jumped on by the enemy team's fighters wishing you had those HPs taken away by the AAA. Having bombs on a Zero is bad tactics.

1.X WoWP veteran - Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0 - Non-Russian

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature- Let's be Professional, Fix it! - Be the gold standard for MMO warplanes. Ditch the Zero and get with a Hero WoWP - Best troll game in 2018/2019

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

The_Decoy #18 Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:32 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

Having bombs can be good if you are at the bottom of the list, sometimes the best help you can be is getting the counter started and going for their GA early to keep the advantage. That being said if you end up being top tier you should drop them at the start as you benefit the team more by going straight into the fight.

Even if you do decide to keep your bombs, you should drop them immediately the instant you have to turn. If someone attacks you while carrying bombs, trying to finish your bombing run or trying to fight with bombs on will just get you killed.

Ranger_1 #19 Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:36 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
We know what the effects are on your speed and maneuverability when the ordinance is loaded, but do we have any kind of indicator as to what the adverse effects are (if any) once you have expended that ordinance?  I'm just talking about speed and maneuverability, not the other (less tangible) disadvantages of being at a lower altitude, etc.

Edited by Ranger_1, 13 December 2013 - 04:37 PM.

Heh #20 Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

Sky Whale Historian

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
You'd have to have the IQ of a chipmunk in order to add heavy bombs on a plane whose sole strength is pure turn rate and that has bad energy retention. Why did you even create this poll anyway? It's a no. In fact, it's a HELL NO.
Heh - aeromarine biologist

View Posthahiha, on , said:

OMG Heh you have had so many posts O_O

Also tagged with Zero, Bombs, Bacon

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users