[WIP] Finnish Air Force plane skins

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

PressureLine #1 Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:35 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [FTE] FTE

--- I won't be releasing the skins in this thread, I will create another thread for that purpose at a later date ---

Got some free time, so I'm Finnishing up some plane skins.

First up is 'LG-3', a VVS LaGG-3 that made a forced wheels-up landing in a field near Ala-Sedoksa in Finland on 14 September 1942

Unfortunately the texture seams on the rear half of the fuselage don't line up very well, so I'm having to experiment a bit with placement of the side roundels. Will post again once I have had a play around.

*edit I* If you are wondering about the design on the roundels, I've left it that way for posting here because I still haven't heard back from WG about whether or not it's ok to post the FAF hakaristi here

*edit II* just heard from tadaaah, the hakaristi is a no-go on the forums (the final versions of the texture will have it on though)

While dissapointing, I can completely understand Wargaming's stance on this, it just opens up way too many doors  for abuse.

Edited by PressureLine, 16 December 2013 - 07:08 AM.

VoleInTheHole #2 Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles

View PostPressureLine, on 09 December 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

Smexy.

PressureLine #3 Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [FTE] FTE

I'm a bit happier with it now, Just a few things to clean up (radiator vent, wing leading edges), the rest of the nose variations and the 2nd set of wings and it's done :laugh:

Wolcott #4 Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:24 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Don't see anything wrong with the Finnish Hakaristi. To them it represents luck, whereas the Nazi Swastika was a symbol of an Aryan race. Two completely different things. Wouldn't make sense for WG to ban luck. But I would like to see what WG says if they respond. Really nice work on the skin btw. Any chance you might have done one for the F2A-1 perhaps?

Brewster - for lasting mastery of the air

oldiowaguy #5 Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 145 battles
  • [4HIM] 4HIM
"Finnishing" up. That's funny! Nice work, looks great!

hawkeyededic #6 Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:06 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 962 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA
Looks very good, I am also curious about the Finnish national markings, I know they are in fact illegal in some European countries so I would expect the answer to be no but I do not know, I'll see what I can find out.

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

hawkeyededic #7 Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:11 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 962 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostWolcott, on 09 December 2013 - 08:24 AM, said:

Don't see anything wrong with the Finnish Hakaristi. To them it represents luck, whereas the Nazi Swastika was a symbol of an Aryan race. Two completely different things. Wouldn't make sense for WG to ban luck. But I would like to see what WG says if they respond. Really nice work on the skin btw. Any chance you might have done one for the F2A-1 perhaps?

I did some researchand the Finnish Air Force does not use that emblem anymore, they stopped using it in 1945. They have a roundel that is white/blue/white now. http://en.wikipedia....ndel_border.svg

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

PressureLine #8 Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:28 PM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [FTE] FTE

Yep, but check out the Squadron flags.

And iirc it was the Soviets who *forced* the FAF to change their roundels, if they hadn't they would likely still be using the original one.

PressureLine #9 Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:29 PM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [FTE] FTE

View Postoldiowaguy, on 10 December 2013 - 03:43 AM, said:

"Finnishing" up. That's funny! Nice work, looks great!

I know right? I couldn't resist.

hawkeyededic #10 Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:54 AM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 962 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA
Ok I got an answer through the channels available to the CA's. Due to the fact that it could easily be misinterpreted and misunderstood by people not fully aware of the history the Finnish Hakaristi , the swatzika like, national marking will not be allowed. I agree with this decision as they have a very valid point, not everyone will know or understand the difference.

PressureLine #11 Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:09 AM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [FTE] FTE
Not just that. It's the doors it opens for people to abuse. I agree, but it's sad that we have to cater to the lowest common denominator like this.

Wolcott #12 Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:12 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View Posthawkeyededic, on 10 December 2013 - 09:54 AM, said:

Ok I got an answer through the channels available to the CA's. Due to the fact that it could easily be misinterpreted and misunderstood by people not fully aware of the history the Finnish Hakaristi , the swatzika like, national marking will not be allowed. I agree with this decision as they have a very valid point, not everyone will know or understand the difference.

Strange, hardly anyone complains about the Soviet flag containing the hammer & sickle symbol, which is tied to numerous atrocities. Does it really make sense that WG allows that symbol but not one that merely resembles another? The FAF never even attacked any civilian targets during WW2 to begin with, whereas the Soviets repeatedly bombed Helsinski. But is it really acceptable for people to remain ignorant of such symbols?

Brewster - for lasting mastery of the air

FreeFOXMIKE #13 Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:15 AM

G.A.T.P. (Global Alpha Test Pilot)

• 5110 battles
  • [332ND] 332ND

View Posthawkeyededic, on 09 December 2013 - 07:54 PM, said:

this is the point in a nut shell it would open misinterpretation ,and would be misused as a they did it we cant we to it sort of thing.  

332 Virtual  Fighter  Group

PressureLine #14 Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:21 AM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [FTE] FTE

View PostWolcott, on 10 December 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

Strange, hardly anyone complains about the Soviet flag containing the hammer & sickle symbol, which is tied to numerous atrocities. Does it really make sense that WG allows that symbol but not one that merely resembles another? The FAF never even attacked any civilian targets during WW2 to begin with, whereas the Soviets repeatedly bombed Helsinski. But is it really acceptable for people to remain ignorant of such symbols?

It is always acceptable to remain ignorant of anything you wish to, that is the future our fathers (for those old enough) and grandfathers fought for. (apparantly)

Anyway, that's enough off topic folks! Will post some updates later on :smiles:

PressureLine #15 Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:59 PM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [FTE] FTE

Yeah, been a bit busy this week. Almost done, just the ID number and a few more little cleanups to do :biggrin:

PressureLine #16 Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:09 AM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [FTE] FTE

LG-3 is now officially LG-3! Just the radiator vent to do now, and decide whether or not to remove the tail number.

hawkeyededic #17 Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:14 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 962 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA
Looks very nice, feels good when you finish one don't it. As far as the tail-number is concerned I remove it if it is going to interfere with anything on the skin, or it just looks better without it. Based on what I can see in the screenshot with my wife's laptop (not much 17in screen does not do justice compared to my 24in at home) it looks good with the tail number and would look just as good without it, so it is a personal choice.

hawkeyededic #18 Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:17 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 962 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA
What program did you use to view the model outside the game?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users