System Requirements

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

Empire3 #1 Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:18 AM

Airman Basic

• 137 battles
  • [0ARS] 0ARS

Hi!

I plan on playing WoT and WoW when I get my new laptop in a week.

These are the laptop specs:

• Brand/Model: HP Pavilion 15-n008AX Notebook
  • Processor: 2.1Ghz AMD A10-5745M Quad Core Processor
  • Memory: 8GB DDR3L System Memory at 1,600MHz (8GB x 1)
  • Disk Drive: 1TB Hard Drive (5,400RPM)
  • Optical Drive: DVD-RW Drive
  • Display: 15.6" diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1366x768)
  • Webcam: VGA Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone
  • Connections/Ports: 1 HDMI, 1 headphone-out/microphone-in combo, 1 USB 2.0, 2 USB 3.0, 1 RJ45, 3 Multi-format digital media card reader for secure digital cards & multimedia cards, Integrated 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet LAN, 802.11b/g/n WLAN
  • Software: Windows 8 (64-bit)
  • Warranty: 12 Months
  • Graphics: 2GB AMD Radeon HD 8670M Graphics Discrete 2GB DDR3 Graphics

How well do you think these games will run? 

Thanks!

An_Average_Jho #2 Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:30 AM

Helvetic Polyglot

• Alpha tester
  • 2154 battles
  • [WWPD] WWPD

This is the system requirements from WG support:

https://na.wargaming.net/support/Knowledgebase/Article/View/86/19/what-are-the-system-requirements-for-world-of-warplanes

Actual system requirements are presented below and are subject to change in the course of game development.

• Operating System: Windows XP/Vista/7/8
  • Processor (CPU): 2.66 GHz
  • Memory (RAM): 3 GB
  • Video Card: GeForce 8600GT or ATI HD 2600 (shader 3.0, 256 MB VRAM)
  • Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible
  • Hard Drive Space: 14 GB
  • Internet Connection Speed: 256 Kbp

I'm not a great computer guy, so I can't tell you how you stand. It seems that your processor may be a little lacking, but I can't tell you for sure.

Everything tastes better if it tries to eat you before you eat it

I named my airplane Iosef because it kept on Stalin

RocketSpammer #3 Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:32 AM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 13590 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
2.1 GHz quad core is the onlly thing somewhat lacking..but the rest seems okay ish

NDA means just that... NON-DISCLOSURE. Don't ask me about Alpha/CBT.

Eitilt ar aerárthach ionsaí Is cosúil ag eitilt cónra.
Roicéid ... An Cothromóir mór.

Bad_Lag #4 Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:45 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 1295 battles
  • [LK7TH] LK7TH
I have something similar but i have a 17.3 display and i run on med graphics and 40+ fps. Those AMD processors have a turbo mode where he may get up to 3 ghz processor speeds while running wowp. You should be able to run on med settings ok.

Mercsn #5 Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:55 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 590 battles

Based on notebookcheck.net's evalutation of that graphics card, even though it's relatively new, performance will likely not be what you expect from it.  WoWP tends to be fairly demanding even with the latest optimizations.  I have an asus g73 (awesome gaming laptop, that's still kicking after 3.5 yrs) and the processor at 1.73 ghz, but can hold turbo'd 2.4ghz.  So, the processor on your laptop will be sufficient, but the graphics card, 8670m,  is listed as 3rd tier, 160th. This surprises me becuase my 5870 is still rated as 2nd tier 101st place.

Then again, with ati, it's the 2nd digit (series), and 3rd digit (model) of the number that's important -which denote series and model in that order-, not the first, which just denotes how new the card is.  In other words, 58 series is higher power than 86 series, but the 86 is newer.  The 70 of 5870 refers to the 70 model within the both the 58 and 86 series, but again, the 8 supercedes the 6 in power in the 5870 vs the 8670.  These card manufacturers REALLY like to make it hard to decipher their codes so you think you are getting a whole lot more than you really are.

Also, on a 17" screen, I sometimes find myself leaning into the screen when enemies are far away and resemble tiny dots, so the problem will likely be more apparent on a 15.6" screen. With the resolution you'll be running and that graphics card...things will look fuzzy and you won't be able to use anti-aliasing without really killing framerates so straight lines will look jagged.

With my laptop, I run everything on the lowest settings with shadows turned off anti-aliasing at minimum.  Only models are set to medium, so my plane doesn't look fuzzy, and draw distance is upped a bit.

I really do hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think your laptop won't run the game the way you might hope, but it should run it, just not nearly in all it's glory.  You might want to use DrSinister's smoke effects mod if the game is choppy in dogfights as it cuts down on some of the effects the GPU has to render.

I hope I'm wrong about how WoWP will perform, but I see a lot of guys complain about how power hungry the game is and if you look up that GPU in more detail, you'll see it's really weak for gaming.  Also, 5400 RPM HDD are really slow these days.  I still have one (although I'm upgrading this weekend to an SSD -yay), but it seems like it hurts battle loading times, but I'm not sure if that's my bad net or how much is loaded client side vs waiting on the net for server side data entering and leaving battles.  But, even on good net, I tend to load slower than many guys I fly with.

The laptop should play WoW (if you mean Warcraft) fine, although not on max settings as in raids or BG with stuff set to max I'd get big framerate slowdowns with effects set to high.  It's been at least a year since I've played that game though, so maybe the optimzed it since then.  If you meant WoT (WG's tanks game) then that game is much less intense than WoWP, as are other games I play like SWTOR and stuff like Civ V.

The notebookcheck.net link is here (copy & paste, then remove spaces as we can no longe link off WG sites...except in PM's.  How odd.)  http ://www. notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html  (scroll down to #162 to see your GPU)

Just keep in mind next time laptop shopping time comes around (and for those of you almost ready to buy a new one), it REALLY pays to spend more for future-proofing since the important components, CPU and GPU, are usually not upgradable.  My asus g73jh cost $1250 when I bought it over three years ago, but it's lasted this long without a hitch.  I spent $30 bucks along the way to upgrade from 4 to 12 gig of ram.  Recently I spilled something on the laptop that affected the screen and that will be replaced this weekend for another $70 bucks.  Add in the SSD upgrade for $140 (that's not "required") and my total cost of ownership for 4 years will be $1500 ($1350 without the splurge on the SSD) and the thing is still capable of playing the games that I want to play (which admitedly, WoWP is probably the most resource intense).  I'm not just trying to advertise this manufacturer (although with twin fans to keep GPU and CPU alive, it's a really great design), but I want to emphasize, spend more upfront to get something that will last is cheaper and more enjoyable in the long run than skimping and be bummed about having to upgrade in a year or two to stay current at minimum settings.  I know $ can be tight, but saving up a few extra months can really pay off in longevity and happiness.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!)

To me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

SkyWolf__WM #6 Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:34 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 11226 battles

Yes..  the 2.1GHz processor will be a problem I think.

I have a 6 core AMD 2.8 with an ATI 7850  that runs OK on Medium.

I have a 4 core 3.8 same card that blows it away. on High

***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.

triptyx #7 Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:14 PM

Flying Llama

• Community Ace
  • 322 battles
  • [FLLMA] FLLMA
I get decent performance on low settings with an I7 running at 1.73Ghz, so I'm going to guess you'll at least be able to play the game on medium low settings.  It's really hard to tell these days though!