The flying Egg

flyingegg XF-85

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

warsam71 #1 Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:06 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

I was surfing channels last night and a show called "Unbelievable Flying Objects" caugh my attention. It was on the Smithsonian Channel which is by far one of my favorite channels on TV.  In short, the show featured the top ten most increbible planes/flying objects in history and to be completely honest with you I knew of all the planes they showed but one: the XF-85 Goblin (a.k.a. flying egg). WTH where they thinking? With all respect to engineers, pilots, and the pioneers of aviation...but seriously?!? I understand the vision behind the project, and please don't take me wrong here as I love aviation and its history, espcially the WWII era and beyond. See what really made this plane stick in my head is the "landing" procedure they described. So I thought I'd share with you all to get your thoughts on it. 

Here is the link to the official site/full video: http://www.smithsoni...-flying-objects

And here is a link to some pics of the plane and the project itself: http://www.air-and-s...com/goblins.htm

Posted Image

Can you imagine being the pilot of this plane? Say, you're deployed (wait, "dropped") as planned; you successfully manage to defend the bomber that carried you by shooting down say one or two, or even three enemy fighters. Say you're still un-scratched...and now you have to "land" your plane under the belly of the bomber with that hook...and baam, the turbulence caused by the bomber throws you off, you try again, this time you get closer, but starting to run out of fuel, the pressure is on, and out of the blue an enemy fighter attacks the very bomber you're trying to latch on! Now what? You got no landing gear, little fuel, low in ammo and probably flying over enemy territory. Now what? (I'd say "bless your heart Ed Schoch"! for having the courage to get into that cockpit!)

Final thought, I'm gonna look for a model kit to build, gotta have this one on my desk!

VoleInTheHole #2 Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:17 PM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles

View Postwarsam71, on 01 December 2013 - 07:06 PM, said:

Can you imagine being the pilot of this plane? Say, you're deployed (wait, "dropped") as planned; you successfully manage to defend the bomber that carried you by shooting down say one or two, or even three enemy fighters. Say you're still un-scratched...and now you have to "land" your plane under the belly of the bomber with that hook...and baam, the turbulence caused by the bomber throws you off, you try again, this time you get closer, but starting to run out of fuel, the pressure is on, and out of the blue an enemy fighter attacks the very bomber you're trying to latch on! Now what? You got no landing gear, little fuel, low in ammo and probably flying over enemy territory. Now what? (I'd say "bless your heart Ed Schoch"! for having the courage to get into that cockpit!)

Thats prolly why it was just a prototype.

An_Average_Jho #3 Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:42 PM

Helvetic Polyglot

• Alpha tester
  • 57 battles
  • [WWPD] WWPD
I remember flying the Goblin in Battlefield 1942. It was twitchy as all hell, but it was next to impossible to hit.

Everything tastes better if it tries to eat you before you eat it

I named my airplane Iosef because it kept on Stalin

"Quod natura non dat, Salmantica non præstat"

warsam71 #4 Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:47 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostAn_Average_Jho, on 01 December 2013 - 07:42 PM, said:

I remember flying the Goblin in Battlefield 1942. It was twitchy as all hell, but it was next to impossible to hit.

Ha Ha! That doesn't surprise me at all...I can imagine :teethhappy:. I flew the 1092 in beta for a long time, picked it because of the smaller size and being very agile. Loved it, now grinding it to get it back again

ironcladtanker #5 Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:53 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [THK] THK
Looks like that image was squashed in photoshop.

Going For The Gold? Do It! Do It NAAAAAAAUGHOOOWW!!!!!!!!!
World of Warplanes Airborne Challenge is too good to be true.

Cielo #6 Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:16 PM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • [PLOT] PLOT

Excellent, now we have something to compliment the "flying flapjack" for a complete American breakfast!

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Vought_XF5U

"This eye in the sky has got you covered!"

World of Warplanes forum's delta wing fanatic and Italian fighter lover...

losttwo #7 Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:25 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
that answers the question which came first the chicken or the egg.

Bandet #8 Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:43 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Crimson Skies anyone?

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.

dagengster #9 Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Would be cool for a free gift plane or something lol

Hanger: [Ha 137 V-1 : Bf 109 B : Bf 109 F : Spitfire V DB : Me 410] [I-15 Bis DM-2 : I-15 (Late) : LaGG-3 : IL-2 Two Seat : LBSh] [XF4F-3 ] [Mustang 1]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soviet Attack aircrafts = Flying tanks

"I will poop bombs and missiles at your HQ"

Heh #10 Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:29 PM

Sky Whale Historian

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostAn_Average_Jho, on 01 December 2013 - 07:42 PM, said:

Horribly twitchy, but once you can use it, Go 229s stand no chance except head-on.
Heh - aeromarine biologist

View Posthahiha, on , said:

OMG Heh you have had so many posts O_O

MongGrel #11 Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:56 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

Nihtwaco #12 Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:10 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 306 battles
  • [DSA] DSA

Proper inflight refueling ended the need for carrying fighters into battle on other aircraft. Aircraft carriers at sea and base use agreements worldwide have helped provide the coverage we have needed to conduct operations. Not with 100% availablility of fighters when needed but with a far better safety record and fire on target weight than the Goblins could achieve. Still an interesting concept.

warsam71 #13 Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:19 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostCielo, on 01 December 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

Excellent, now we have something to compliment the "flying flapjack" for a complete American breakfast!

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Vought_XF5U

Ya! And now we even have Salmon to go with the Egg and Pancake for the perfect, nutritious breakfast! Check it out: http://en.wikipedia....XFV#cite_note-1

Posted Image

warsam71 #14 Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:20 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View Postdagengster, on 01 December 2013 - 09:12 PM, said:

Would be cool for a free gift plane or something lol

Agreed!

Also tagged with flyingegg, XF-85

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users