• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

PressureLine #1 Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:47 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [FTE] FTE

Good evening pilots!

Now I will tell you how to change the various decals on a specific plane, without changing the ones that use the same texture on other planes.

As an example I will represent an I-15 that has been captured and now being used by the Luftwaffe! But I dont want my other russian planes to have German markings, so I can't just replace the textures.

First up I need to get the planes script and copy it to my desktop (or a working folder if that is what you prefer), it is located here: World_of_Warplanes\res\packages\airplanes_common.pkg\scripts\db\aircrafts\USSR\i-15.xml

I also need to grab the national symbol I want to use and put it in the "\res_mods\vehicles\airplanes\common\decals\nationality\USSR" folder, I have renamed the dds file to Emb_RU_09 (I think the path has to be exactly the same length as what you are replacing, and since 'Germany' is a different length to 'USSR'... well you get the idea)

Opening it up with Notepad++ (or your preferred text editor, Windows notepad wont cut it I'm afraid) I find the entry for the nationality symbol "vehicles/airplanes/common/decals/nationality/USSR/Emb_RU_06.dds" and change it to read "vehicles/airplanes/common/decals/nationality/USSR/Emb_RU_09.dds"

Now a simple swap of the kill markers probably wont work, because the German kill markers are in a different place to all the other ones (why WG? why?) but if I thought it would work (it would probably* work with putting RU kill marks on an American or British plane because they have the same rough format for their markers) I'd do that too.

*YMMV though

Then put the file in your res_mods folder (you do need to have it activated in your paths.xml file, thats in the main World_of_Warplanes folder. Just add the line res_mods/ in the list if it isn't) using this structure: res_mods\scripts\db\aircrafts\USSR\i-15.xml

Lets load up the game and see what we have!

An I-15 wearing a balkenkreuz!

And an I-16(e) with a red star!

So there you have it! Now you can replace the decals on your custom skinned planes, without having to remove them on any other plane that usually shares the texture.

Happy hunting! :biggrin:

Zapperguy #2 Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:06 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 63 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

Cool post, thanks.

:honoring:

PressureLine #3 Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:13 AM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [FTE] FTE
No problem. It's a much better solution than losing the decals on all of your planes!

SkywhaleExpress #4 Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:15 AM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Nice post. You can also just simply clear out the decals in the XML to run the plane clean. Works well if your skin mod incorporated another decal altogether

Air Raid 8 Champions - BrushFyre

MIA - pappabear

FryaDuck #5 Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:52 AM

Squadron Leader Knucklehead

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles

View PostPressureLine, on 28 November 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

Now a simple swap of the kill markers probably wont work, because the German kill markers are in a different place to all the other ones (why WG? why?)

Because Luftwaffe kill marks were placed on the tail.

Of course the kill markings on British Heavies are also incorrectly placed.

Oderint, dum metuant, tunc ad infernum - Let them hate as long as they fear then go to hell
1st AlphaAce IL-2 (t)(Air)

PressureLine #6 Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:55 AM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [FTE] FTE
Most nations (on fighters anyway) put the kill marks just below the cockpit. But thats not the point here anyway :biggrin:

NemesisStar #7 Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:46 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3 battles
I am trying to replace a nationality marker with a completely different nationality marker but there is some sort of error in the way I am saving the file ( I suspect.)   Have you tried replacing nationality decals alltogether?

Only the weak die, the rest of us go to Cuba to chill with Tupac,Elvis,Kurt and Micheal. 

WEBEUS #8 Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 72 battles

Perhaps a silly question, but I assume that only you can see the changes. Everyone else sees you as the default skin...correct??

hawkeyededic #9 Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:59 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 962 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA
thank you, I'm gonna give this a try. I can think of some other possible applications for this as well.

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

Leadpiper #10 Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:18 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [REL-V] REL-V

View PostWEBEUS, on 28 November 2013 - 01:14 PM, said:

Perhaps a silly question, but I assume that only you can see the changes. Everyone else sees you as the default skin...correct??

Correct .

grupo_sierra1 #11 Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:01 AM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles

Hello, I try create an Argentine decal for the Curtiss 75. I will explain what I did, Can you tell me what I do wrong?
1) I create the decal, I use a simple UK decal and I change it to  skyblue. I save it as a .DDS file
2) I put it inside de package with the rest of USA decals. Name is "EMB_AR_12.dds"
3) After that, I change the lane in the scrip.

But now, there is no USA decal, but the Argentine decal is no there

what  did I do wrong?

Excuse my bad english

PressureLine #12 Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:02 PM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [FTE] FTE

Probably an image format issue. The national symbol image needs to be exactly the same size as the one it is replacing (most are 256x256, some of the US and UK ones are 512x256)

In GIMP use these settings when saving the DDS file:

Compression: BC3/DXT5

Format: Default

Save: Selected layer

Mipmaps: Generate mipmaps

And it should work :smiles:

grupo_sierra1 #13 Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:45 AM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles
Thank you very much!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users