SALUTE?

salute chat symbol salutes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Salute? (28 members have cast votes)

Which is the correct symbol for Salute?

1. o7 (13 votes [46.43%])

Percentage of vote: 46.43%

2. <o (14 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. o> (1 vote [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

Vote Hide poll

Zandrax #1 Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:21 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 309 battles

I have used o7 to Salute all Pilots while clock is ticking down before each match sense closed beta. I have people tell me o7 is incorrect or backwards. 

If there is a symbol you think should be added to poll please let me know.

Autolycus7 #2 Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:29 AM

Feedback Airedale

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2 battles

Unless it is meant to imply you are saluting someone that is standing behind you, looking at the back of your head, it's a left-handed salute. I don't think the USAF allows those. Maybe if your right arm is disabled for some reason?

I think

Mountains are OP. Nerf plz.
Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
Dignum laude virum Musa vetat mori, cœlo Musa beat.

NathanFlightLeader #3 Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:38 AM

Flying Kiwi

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles

That is the proper salue. How any one can see a salute in o7 is beyond me? 

"It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed."
"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" And "Oh S...!"
"Airspeed, altitude and brains. Two are always needed to successfully complete the flight."
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous.

Zandrax #4 Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:48 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 309 battles

View PostNathanFlightLeader, on 21 November 2013 - 11:38 PM, said:

People where using o7 when I joined close beta and I was told it was a salute. It has caught on and more people are using o7 today than they use . I do agree o7 doesn't look as good as

lostwingman #5 Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:51 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 15 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostZandrax, on 21 November 2013 - 10:21 PM, said:

I have used o7 to Salute all Pilots while clock is ticking down before each match sense closed beta. I have people tell me o7 is incorrect or backwards. 

If there is a symbol you think should be added to poll please let me know.

That's what I have always used and seen.

View PostNathanFlightLeader, on 21 November 2013 - 10:38 PM, said:

I have literally never seen that used for that and I'm in an asian cat clan.

Ground Attack, the new Arty

Traurig_Yoda #6 Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:57 AM

First Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 2 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Internet noobs would use <0 0>    greater than and less than have always been noses and ears.  
O7 goes back 14 + years as a military salute in and around Delta Force.. September 30, 1998

_Laserguided_ #7 Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:58 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
o7 means the joke went over your head...

Because it feels to me like you guys would rather play with [edit] Laserguided and that [edit] me off. A [edit]  lot.  -- Auto

"Dont doubt my computer skills,I started with a pentium 2" -- Chuck

Thanks zipper..-- Mars

Zandrax #8 Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:18 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 309 battles

I did a little research according Internetslang.com o7 is the slang for a Salute.

http://www.internets...-definition.asp

NathanFlightLeader #9 Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:36 AM

Flying Kiwi

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles

View PostTraurig_Yoda, on 22 November 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

Internet noobs would use <0 0>    greater than and less than have always been noses and ears.  
O7 goes back 14 + years as a military salute in and around Delta Force.. September 30, 1998

I highly doubt that. Do you have any proof?? Everyone in the military knows that when you salute you arm is supposed to be straight, not have a curve in it.
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" And "Oh S...!"
"Airspeed, altitude and brains. Two are always needed to successfully complete the flight."

SkyWolf__WM #10 Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:38 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 9538 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

View PostNathanFlightLeader, on 21 November 2013 - 11:38 PM, said:

It's face pointing up.

I used it because that's what was used to salute me.   ... so now I use both.

And invariably some ID10T whines at me anyway.

***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.

Traurig_Yoda #11 Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:52 AM

First Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 2 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostNathanFlightLeader, on 22 November 2013 - 12:36 AM, said:

I highly doubt that. Do you have any proof?? Everyone in the military knows that when you salute you arm is supposed to be straight, not have a curve in it.

View PostZandrax, on 22 November 2013 - 12:18 AM, said:

I did a little research according Internetslang.com o7 is the slang for a Salute.

exactly back in the Nova logic Delta Force.. September 30, 1998 days it was definitely the way we did it. Ofcourse intenetnewbies want to change or make it their own, who cares? not me!

Edited by Traurig_Yoda, 22 November 2013 - 05:58 AM.

Lord_Zappa #12 Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:57 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

Ahhh.. I use it to throw up my Grim Reaper..  as in 07.

Get some!

Edited by Lord_Zappa, 22 November 2013 - 05:58 AM.

MagusGerhardt #13 Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:58 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 839 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostSkyWolf__WM, on 21 November 2013 - 10:38 PM, said:

It's face pointing up.

I used it because that's what was used to salute me.   ... so now I use both.

And invariably some ID10T whines at me anyway.

Heh, thanks, SkyWolf.  And here I was thinking I was going to have an opportunity to post the logic I had already written on this in the last "Salute?" thread...and I couldn't find it.  :teethhappy:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

FreeFOXMIKE #14 Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:41 AM

G.A.T.P. (Global Alpha Test Pilot)

• 5143 battles
  • [332ND] 332ND

<>

VERY -VERY SIMPLE in fact here Ill show you if you follow the simple unwritten rule of a typed emoticon you take the paper its written on gently rotate the whole sheet of paper until the top is now on the right side ( thats a clockwise rotation) and now it look like a single ,or a single row of soldiers bring a hand up to render a salute ( with the tail of the seven being where the shoulder starts the downward V being the elbow bend) oh wait maybe it to much Imagination.

"

Zandrax, on 22 November 2013 - 12:18 AM, said:

exactly back in the Nova logic Delta Force.. September 30, 1998 

Actualy I thinK  it was even a little bit  later During the F-22-L3 days of Novalogic, Delta became a more populer game and grew so fast as the F-22 population stagnated that they closed the F-22 servers and used them for the up and then coming DeltaForce GAMES. 

The title of the game was derived from the proposed name of the F-22, but by 1999 (the game's release year), the USAF had officially named the F22 the Raptor, rather than Lightning. F-22 Lightning 3 failed to exhibit physics modeling comparable to the physics displayed in ( a competors game)which was released 2 years earlier. This was later explained by NovaLogic, which claimed a 'hard core' military flight simulator was never intended, but an easily approachable multiplayer platform was the actual aim in producing the game.

Edited by FreeFOXMIKE, 22 November 2013 - 06:55 AM.

332 Virtual  Fighter  Group

minionsoldier #15 Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:35 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 154 battles
Anything intended to show respect to your fellow pilots is correct. The rest is a matter of taste.

NathanFlightLeader #16 Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:23 AM

Flying Kiwi

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles

View PostTraurig_Yoda, on 22 November 2013 - 06:52 PM, said:

Internet noobs would use <0 0>   greater than and less than have always been noses and ears.  

exactly back in the Nova logic Delta Force.. September 30, 1998 days it was definitely the way we did it. Ofcourse intenetnewbies want to change or make it their own, who cares? not me!

View PostFreeFOXMIKE, on 22 November 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

<>

VERY -VERY SIMPLE in fact here Ill show you if you follow the simple unwritten rule of a typed emoticon you take the paper its written on gently rotate the whole sheet of paper until the top is now on the right side ( thats a clockwise rotation) and now it look like a single ,or a single row of soldiers bring a hand up to render a salute ( with the tail of the seven being where the shoulder starts the downward V being the elbow bend) oh wait maybe it to much Imagination.

"

Actualy I thinK  it was even a little bit  later During the F-22-L3 days of Novalogic, Delta became a more populer game and grew so fast as the F-22 population stagnated that they closed the F-22 servers and used them for the up and then coming DeltaForce GAMES. 

The title of the game was derived from the proposed name of the F-22, but by 1999 (the game's release year), the USAF had officially named the F22 the Raptor, rather than Lightning. F-22 Lightning 3 failed to exhibit physics modeling comparable to the physics displayed in ( a competors game)which was released 2 years earlier. This was later explained by NovaLogic, which claimed a 'hard core' military flight simulator was never intended, but an easily approachable multiplayer platform was the actual aim in producing the game.

Woah I'm confused. Are you guys talking about the actual Special Forces Operational Detachment Delta aka SFOD-D aka Delta Force or are you talking about a game called Delta Force? Because I was under the impression we were talking about the Spec Ops Unit and now I'm really confuzled!! :amazed:

Edited by NathanFlightLeader, 22 November 2013 - 08:39 AM.

losttwo #17 Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:24 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 5412 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Welocme to the internet and the various functions for a salute. I do not think either is right or wrong but personal preferance. I believe in the sentiment or idea of the salute rather than the symbol used. I use " o7 " due in part to most people use it and that is how I learned to salute, I have also learned to recognize other forms of saluting. I really enjoy the GL&HF sentiment as well.

What I would prefer to see is Wargaming placing the ability to inset smilies or icons into the chat, that I think is what we should begin a poll or topic on. More so than what is the right or wrong way to salute. After all :honoring: is a salute.

Noreaga #18 Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
we fly fake planes so we use a fake salute, im just so used to 07 dont see myself changing.

Edited by noreaga, 22 November 2013 - 01:43 PM.

Nimis obnoxii curare

FreeFOXMIKE #19 Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:47 PM

G.A.T.P. (Global Alpha Test Pilot)

• 5143 battles
  • [332ND] 332ND

View PostNathanFlightLeader, on 22 November 2013 - 02:23 AM, said:

View PostTraurig_Yoda, on 22 November 2013 - 06:52 PM, said:

Internet noobs would use <0 0>   greater than and less than have always been noses and ears.  

View PostFreeFOXMIKE, on 22 November 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

<>

"

Woah I'm confused. Are you guys talking about the actual Special Forces Operational Detachment Delta aka SFOD-D aka Delta Force or are you talking about a game called Delta Force? Because I was under the impression we were talking about the Spec Ops Unit and now I'm really confuzled!! :amazed:

o.f.l. ON FLOOR LAUGHING  a game , that was the time then in fact they had to play with borderline , then clasified equipment rl ,and cyber so the gaming indestry had to walk a fine line  on what the added in game content it was a  "twitchy" time to say the lest.   The whole gaming market back then was in is teen years so to speak. 

But back to the reason for the posting  we  as in real life have many salutes used  across the World we should get to know them all and respond to them in kind. as along as they do not promote symbolize a hate group,or terrorest camp (and to circumvent  any other poltical  texting that hs been decideced upon by the world as a whole )

Edited by FreeFOXMIKE, 22 November 2013 - 01:54 PM.

332 Virtual  Fighter  Group

Zapperguy #20 Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:17 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 63 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

There have been other threads/polls on this topic and the consensus was that people will use what they want anyway. :honoring:

I use o7 for two reasons:

1. It is fewer key presses than any of the other options - 5 total - Enter, o, 7, Tab, Enter. The others all involve adding in the shift key as well. How much work must I put out when 70% or more of the other team doesn't return the same sign of respect?
  2. I see

Whatever symbol someone uses I find it annoying/offensive when people feel the need to critique it in game. There is no "gold standard" here. It is given out of respect, and to have that respect belittled is actually more disrespectful than a backwards salute IMO.

:honoring:

Also tagged with salute, chat, symbol, salutes

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users