Jump to content


Why doesn't the plane turn when I bank the wings?

ailerons rolling turning controls banking physics

  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

jdp245 #1 Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:32 PM

    Airman Basic

  • Member
  • 0 battles
  • 3
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
I just tried the game for the first time, using an XBOX 360 gamepad.  I have been a student pilot and currently fly a lot of flight simulators, so I know quite a bit about the physics of flight.  In a real aircraft, when you bank the wings (accomplished by turning the yoke or moving the stick right/left), the vector of lift is tilted to the side, causing the aircraft to turn in the direction of your roll.  But in the game tutorials, when I bank the wings the plane just continues to fly straight.  For anyone with any experience flying planes or simulators, this is just a gamebreaking failure.  It makes the planes in this game impossible to control intuitively (ie the way planes actually fly).  Have I missed something in my settings?  Is there any way to change this?  I searched the forums and couldn't find anything on this.

amade #2 Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Alpha tester
  • 452 battles
  • 551
  • Member since:
    10-24-2011

It's because this game isn't a sim. It's actually more of an arcade game.



petersleepy #3 Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:00 PM

    TnB Rights Activist

  • Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • 1,494
  • [MLPVA] MLPVA
  • Member since:
    10-26-2011
If you turn off side slip compensation in the settings, the plane should start banking.

"It's only game, why you heff to be mad?" ~Ilya Bryzgalov


WulfNose #4 Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

    Chief Petty Officer

  • Community Ace
  • 570 battles
  • 2,315
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
You probably also notice there is no side-slip. But, the rudder is far too effective. To effect a turn bank an pitch "up." For combat turns, you can add flaps (beginning with some tier II's like the AR-68), or even idle the engine. Turns can be sharp. I use a joystick, but set keys ASDF to Advance boost, Slow plane, Drop flaps, and Forward view so I do not have to move my hand in a dogfight. Clear Skies! Wulf

Gothkitty #5 Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:23 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 220 battles
  • 154
  • [EQ-AR] EQ-AR
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View Postamade, on 21 November 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

It's because this game isn't a sim. It's actually more of an arcade game.


i agree, WG didnt make the game as a sim. its more just a dogfight game

 

(beta weekend tester is basically alpha)


TenDelta #6 Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:38 AM

    Senior Airman

  • Member
  • 0 battles
  • 11
  • Member since:
    05-05-2012

View Postpetersleepy, on 21 November 2013 - 06:00 AM, said:

If you turn off side slip compensation in the settings, the plane should start banking.


Where is side slip compensation in the settings?

 

I found it, it's a slider on the left side of the settings, under your "control" options when you select Joystick.  For keyboard it is a check box.  I was expecting the same for Joystick, but it's actually a slider bar.  It's set to maximum, I tried at maximum, and minimum settings, but I'm going to adjust it toward the minimum a bit.


Edited by TenDelta, 22 November 2013 - 01:25 PM.


Snarge #7 Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:56 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 795 battles
  • 125
  • Member since:
    03-21-2013
I had the same issue at first. Accept the arcade aspect in some respects. I think that makes using a joystick much more difficult since you have to use your elevator to actually turn.

jdp245 #8 Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:01 PM

    Airman Basic

  • Member
  • 0 battles
  • 3
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

 

View Postpetersleepy, on 21 November 2013 - 02:00 PM, said:

If you turn off side slip compensation in the settings, the plane should start banking.

 

That did it.  Thanks.  IMO, this "side slip compensation" is pretty useless.  I thought it was like an auto-rudder to keep turns coordinated, but instead it prevents your plane from turning at all.

 

After experimenting with different control setups, I decided it is easier to use the mouse controls for this one.  It is very strange trying to use a mouse to do maneuvers like the split-S, but I think I'm getting the hang of it.  Thanks for the help.


Edited by jdp245, 23 November 2013 - 09:03 PM.


CloudViper #9 Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

    Airman Basic

  • Member
  • 0 battles
  • 1
  • Member since:
    12-12-2013
 

View PostWulfNose, on 21 November 2013 - 02:05 PM, said:

You probably also notice there is no side-slip. But, the rudder is far too effective. To effect a turn bank an pitch "up." For combat turns, you can add flaps (beginning with some tier II's like the AR-68), or even idle the engine. Turns can be sharp. I use a joystick, but set keys ASDF to Advance boost, Slow plane, Drop flaps, and Forward view so I do not have to move my hand in a dogfight. Clear Skies! Wulf

 

I get the roll and then elevator to affect it...that's a good work-around.  Would be nice to have an immediate roll effect when rolling with key-binding.  Unless there is some technical issue like the mouse overrides the keyboard overrides the mouse, I don't see why this isn't possible.

 

I don't have a joystick (and most prob never will) and keyboard alone is a bit iffy, so I use combination of mouse and keyboard... especially seeing as I have weak wrists and my mouse control ain't all that great (and never will be).



Nihtwaco #10 Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:11 AM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 695 battles
  • 649
  • [DSA] DSA
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

There are many different patterns to key bind stuff.

 

I use

W Boost

S idle/air brake

A left roll

D right Roll

Q left rudder

E right rudder

F Look behind

L level off

R Flaps down/UP toggle also use auto flaps most of the time but if used watch the drag in turns as your speed will bleed down.

N for sniper view Left thumb for this space bar and throttle control

Space bar for bombs

, (comma) up throttle

. (period) down throttle

Rockets on thumb button on mouse

 

Mouse is setup custom from basic none vector and is very twitchy, I have posted screen shots of the setup it is a work in progress  and I have used up my image posting quota. 


Edited by Nihtwaco, 21 December 2013 - 05:13 AM.


UraniumOverdose #11 Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:53 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 94 battles
  • 392
  • Member since:
    07-19-2013

View Postjdp245, on 21 November 2013 - 07:32 AM, said:

I just tried the game for the first time, using an XBOX 360 gamepad.  I have been a student pilot and currently fly a lot of flight simulators, so I know quite a bit about the physics of flight.  In a real aircraft, when you bank the wings (accomplished by turning the yoke or moving the stick right/left), the vector of lift is tilted to the side, causing the aircraft to turn in the direction of your roll.  But in the game tutorials, when I bank the wings the plane just continues to fly straight.  For anyone with any experience flying planes or simulators, this is just a gamebreaking failure.  It makes the planes in this game impossible to control intuitively (ie the way planes actually fly).  Have I missed something in my settings?  Is there any way to change this?  I searched the forums and couldn't find anything on this.

 

Keep in mind that you are most likely flying a piper or cessna for your training, These aircraft are designed to be extremely stable in flight, for obvious reasons. Military and aerobatic aircraft are not designed quite as stable (in fact modern fighters are designed with negative stability). Thus they will not fly as "intuitively" as you might imagine it since you fly aircraft designed to keep you as safe as possible. Also try to imagine it as the "in game" pilot compensating for the bank and keeping a straight direction., as if you have seen airshows you know an aircraft can bank without actually turning, think knife edge passes and such.


Cut my life into pizzas, this is my plastic fork.

 






Also tagged with ailerons, rolling, turning, controls, banking, physics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users