Learning curve too steep

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
79 replies to this topic

ActionFigure #1 Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:42 AM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles

I believe the learning curve is too steep. The follwing statement may sound silly:

"I am having trouble winning, the developer has the responsibility to make me win."

But actually this is common sense in a money making point of view. This is not the only ftp game, if your customer can't win they are going to leave. A game cannot survive with a small player base. More specifically a lot of WOWP players come from WOT, this game needs to be easier for those WOT players to make the transition.

To those who find the above statement funny, I can assure you it is not. I am sure the developers are not stupid, they know there is indirect competition between this game and WOT. If this game don't "take off" as good as WOT, its just common sense that they will transfer all the resources to WOT where most money is made and eventually ditch this game. Whats the point of getting good in a game that will eventually disappear?

To the developers, if you don't want to make this game easier thats ok. You just won't have as much customers to make money from.

AuraDesru #2 Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:45 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3 battles

Why don't you give it a few months into patching and developing. WoT changed a lot during beta to 8.9.

WOWP will soon after a few suggestions and meetings with there staff and stuffs.

Gothkitty #3 Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:46 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 220 battles
  • [EQ-AR] EQ-AR

well... just think of this. WoWP is a plane game, which is harder than WoT

Edited by krazydude4, 20 November 2013 - 04:48 AM.

(beta weekend tester is basically alpha)

Autolycus7 #4 Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:01 AM

Feedback Airedale

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2 battles

Flying is harder than driving.

It just is.

Mountains are OP. Nerf plz.
Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
Dignum laude virum Musa vetat mori, cœlo Musa beat.

Claudio67 #5 Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:14 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 545 battles

Use the training lessons, especially the 3rd, team training; will put you on a team with 3 bots against 4 bots on different planes. You can practice there all you want and you will not lose credits nor anything. Don't go head to head to enemies coming, try to avoid them before they are too close and ram you (learning this will be very useful later on real games against other people).

sgtcheapbeer #6 Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:19 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 27 battles
Total nonsense the op has won 55 of 117 battles.  You dont win or lose by Yourself,  but read some of the guide's and in no time you will see an improvement.

HEAVEYGEAR #7 Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:23 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 728 battles

Use the training room, practice with bots. Find out what type of flying is more comfortable for you, and practice.

By the way, your stats are not that bad so early into this release. Lots of room to improve without having to grind 100's of battles.

Your fighters are good, maybe concentrate on that...and don't rush to get to the higher tiers.

Happy flying....

I've knocked on death's door.....no one answered.....I don't complain much anymore.

Me.

S842 #8 Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:31 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 9 battles

It took me 400 battles to figure out what I should be doing and 800 before I was a good contributer to the team.  At 117 battles you have barely started playing.

While the learing curve may be long and difficult, the game offers a rather involving experience.  If it were watered down so anyone could do well just after starting, I doubt that it would hold one's interest long - which is another way to lose players.

Nihtwaco #9 Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:54 AM

• 760 battles
  • [DSA] DSA

All the Dev's look at is overall stats from that they try and balance things out for a 48% to 52% win rate across the entire server population. They try for a 30% conversion rate of Free to Play players to cash paying premium holders and or Premium Vehicle users. They have a very good understanding of the Dynamics of Premium vehicle release from WoT snafus so we can expect a steady trickle of those into the game along with staged releases of each expansion of the tech trees.

They have no responsiblity to any individual player to make up for that players lack of reading comprehension or skill at the game.

Edited by Nihtwaco, 20 November 2013 - 05:55 AM.

Worlds_Okayest_Dad #10 Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:05 AM

• Alpha tester
  • 86 battles
  • [SICK] SICK
It is not the developers responsibility to "make you win" just as it is not Nike's responsibilty to "make you play basketball like Michael Jordan". What a ridiculous claim you have.

ActionFigure #11 Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:45 AM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles

View PostBad_Lag, on 20 November 2013 - 06:05 AM, said:

It is not the developers responsibility to "make you win" just as it is not Nike's responsibilty to "make you play basketball like Michael Jordan". What a ridiculous claim you have.

If the majority of basketball players do not win while wearing Nike shoes, then they will not buy Nike ever again. Even though it is not Nike's fault, the brand is still responsible for not making money regardless of the market condition.

People play WOT because it has WIN written all over it, people dont play to LOSE all the time. If the players don't win then they will quit, it is not WOWP's fault but it does not exempt the brand from its responsibility to retain enough players to keep the game alive.

It sounds ridiculous but in fact it is common sense.

Edited by ActionFigure, 20 November 2013 - 07:46 AM.

lostwingman #12 Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:53 AM

• Alpha tester
  • 32 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

Try using AA and HF at first if you're having trouble as they have the simplest and most straight forward flying maneuvers. There are tons of guides on energy fighting in HFs to help.

View PostActionFigure, on 20 November 2013 - 01:45 AM, said:

If the players don't win then they will quit

That's not remotely true.

There is a reason this meme exists:

Spoiler

Ground Attack, the new Arty

ActionFigure #13 Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:50 AM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles

View Postlostwingman, on 20 November 2013 - 07:53 AM, said:

Try using AA and HF at first if you're having trouble as they have the simplest and most straight forward flying maneuvers. There are tons of guides on energy fighting in HFs to help.

View PostActionFigure, on 20 November 2013 - 01:45 AM, said:

If the players don't win then they will quit

That's not remotely true.

There is a reason this meme exists:

Spoiler

It is natural for people to avoid anything that is difficult especially if the activity is not compulsory (even more so when this is only a game). This is why people who are not good at math will stay away from subjects which require math. This is human nature, nothing you find on the internet can change this fact.

Edited by ActionFigure, 20 November 2013 - 09:52 AM.

Worlds_Okayest_Dad #14 Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:52 AM

• Alpha tester
  • 86 battles
  • [SICK] SICK
A pvp type game has 2 teams, a winner and a loser. Its the players on a teams responsibility to win the game, not the developers.  WoT is the same type of game as wowp, the same concept, destroy the enemy. Also, when the NBA drafts players, they don't look at their shoes, they look at their skills. Developers can't make you better, you can only do that. Like I said ridiculous. What you're proposing is to make the game as generic as possible to please those who are too lazy to learn.  A game where eveyone flies the same plane with the same upgrades, sounds like a winner to me!

NXS_Tripp #15 Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:02 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

WOW! How did this thread turn out this way?

Beta Vets have been saying they are having a hard time adjusting to the new dynamics and you want to berate a guy saying new people will have a hard time learning?

WOW! Just WOW!

ActionFigure #16 Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:14 AM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles

View PostBad_Lag, on 20 November 2013 - 09:52 AM, said:

A pvp type game has 2 teams, a winner and a loser. Its the players on a teams responsibility to win the game, not the developers.  WoT is the same type of game as wowp, the same concept, destroy the enemy. Also, when the NBA drafts players, they don't look at their shoes, they look at their skills. Developers can't make you better, you can only do that. Like I said ridiculous. What you're proposing is to make the game as generic as possible to please those who are too lazy to learn.  A game where eveyone flies the same plane with the same upgrades, sounds like a winner to me!

The developer will do ANYTHING to attract as much customer as possible, even if it means making everything as generic as possible.

I am not talking about NBA players because the majority of Nike's customer is not NBA players. The reason why NBA players wear Nike shoes is to promote the NIke brand, to write "WIN" all over it. To give you the illusion that if you wear Nike then you will WIN. Still, if a customer loses his game (whatever sport he plays) whenever he wears Nike, then I am certain he will change brand. Not Nike's fault but still their responsibility.

Developers can't make you better, but they can CHANGE THE CONTROLS to make it easier for you to get better.

If the customer find that this game is easy to learn then they will stick with this game, more customer means more money. This is why WOT attracted so many players, it is easy to learn (stress free gaming) and easy to get good at.

NXS_Tripp #17 Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:22 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostActionFigure, on 20 November 2013 - 04:14 AM, said:

View PostBad_Lag, on 20 November 2013 - 09:52 AM, said:

The developer will do ANYTHING to attract as much customer as possible, even if it means making everything as generic as possible.

I am not talking about NBA players because the majority of Nike's customer is not NBA players. The reason why NBA players wear Nike shoes is to promote the NIke brand, to write "WIN" all over it. To give you the illusion that if you wear Nike then you will WIN. Still, if a customer loses his game (whatever sport he plays) whenever he wears Nike, then I am certain he will change brand. Not Nike's fault but still their responsibility.

Developers can't make you better, but they can CHANGE THE CONTROLS to make it easier for you to get better.

If the customer find that this game is easy to learn then they will stick with this game, more customer means more money. This is why WOT attracted so many players, it is easy to learn (stress free gaming) and easy to get good at.

On a side note...NBA players have custom made shoes with Nike logos on them....Not shoes made by Nike. But your point is valid

SkyWolf__WM #18 Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:27 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 13204 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

It's a flight game.... it can only be dumbed down so far.

And someone fix Bad_Lag's other neg rep. (#$%%# neg repp'n ^$#%^^s)

***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.

losttwo #19 Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:09 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 8907 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Yes the leanring curve on this game is high and it took me over 1000 battles to get somewhat good. Before release I logged in 6000 battles. I still am not great at the this game but I continue to learn and grow. This is not a console game wit hthe options for different difficulty levels nor are there cheat codes available so one can take the easy way out. This is a free t oplay game and the choice is individual to play or even to continue. The difficulty level will not have any effect on Wargaming to make money nor will this game fail. There are far to many people available in the world that will play this game. I for one am terrible at world of tanks and now play it very rarely. Kind of a shame since I am an EX M3 Bradley Scout.

I was never under the impression that games should be designed to win but designed for people to learn. Even a game as simple as CHESS has winners and losers.

In Chess it is easy to win against a computer at level 1 yet while advancing to level 10 it becomes more difficult. In PVP game you have the human element and it is the human you are playing against, not a computer. Like Chess you can search out other humans to play with all day long and yet loose every game because you do not know how well your opponent can play. Chess is an easy game to win if your opponents know nothing about the game and its numerous combinations of winning. If you come across a person that knows all the winning combinations and strategies it becomes more difficult and you perhaps would loose every game,

As for the NIKE idea, Shoes have nothing to do with winning and is an absolute absurd idea that basketball is dependant upon the shoe. I do see however that the marketing strategy has certainly convinced you that if you buy NIKE you will win at everything. So win lose or draw NIKE as a company has won. They got your money while your still not a very good at basketball and placing the blame on NIKE rather than ones own skill.

Wargaming is not to blame for a persons lack of wanting to learn and advance in a game, while they have a player base that does have the willingness to leanr and grow.

Is it an easy game NO, is it playable and can you win. YES.

What are you willing to do to learn ?

von_Krimm #20 Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:17 AM

Feedback Airedale

• Community Ace
  • 435 battles

View PostActionFigure, on 20 November 2013 - 04:42 AM, said:

I believe the learning curve is too steep. The follwing statement may sound silly:

"I am having trouble winning, the developer has the responsibility to make me win."

But actually this is common sense in a money making point of view. This is not the only ftp game, if your customer can't win they are going to leave. A game cannot survive with a small player base. More specifically a lot of WOWP players come from WOT, this game needs to be easier for those WOT players to make the transition.

To those who find the above statement funny, I can assure you it is not. I am sure the developers are not stupid, they know there is indirect competition between this game and WOT. If this game don't "take off" as good as WOT, its just common sense that they will transfer all the resources to WOT where most money is made and eventually ditch this game. Whats the point of getting good in a game that will eventually disappear?

To the developers, if you don't want to make this game easier thats ok. You just won't have as much customers to make money from.

If you think this game has a steep learing curve; please, go try this one and report back what you find after the 2-week free trial:

http://www.hitechcreations.com/

I only include that link so that people may see what a pure WWII combat-sim is really like vs. what we have...the perfect blend of sim&arcade!

Edited by Krimakov, 20 November 2013 - 11:18 AM.

I like my <CENSORED> like I like my <CENSORED> ; aged <CENSORED> to <CENSORED> years and mixed-up with <CENSORED> .If you take fire from the spouse-AA about the former, launch flares and dump chaff: $$$visa$$$amex$$$vonKrimm2.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users