Battle of Britain movie on Netflix

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

vryce #1 Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:19 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

"Battle of Britain"

Great movie from the early 70's on Netflix streaming, available in HD. Great to watch when the servers are down for maintenance.

Tons of air battles. The movie is all about what has been discussed on topics here - Germany had better planes and equipment but their leadership failed them. Brits never made great movies in my opinion, some good funny ones past decade, but in early 70s they made some epic awesome war movies, and this is one of them if you like WWII planes.

-Vryce

Staff_Sergeant_Walker #2 Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:46 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 60 battles
I actually watched it again a few weeks ago. I love the fact that Christopher Plummer is weaing a Canadian uniform. I read somewhere that his character was supposed to be English but he was adamant that they change it to Canadian since we had a lot of volunteers in the RAF at the time. Don't look at the aircrafts too closely however because you will notice that most of them are not what they are supposed to be:honoring:

MagusGerhardt #3 Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:57 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 576 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostStaff_Sergeant_Walker, on 19 November 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

I actually watched it again a few weeks ago. I love the fact that Christopher Plummer is weaing a Canadian uniform. I read somewhere that his character was supposed to be English but he was adamant that they change it to Canadian since we had a lot of volunteers in the RAF at the time. Don't look at the aircrafts too closely however because you will notice that most of them are not what they are supposed to be:honoring:

In the days before computer graphics in a world that had very few surviving Axis (Specifically German) aircraft the directors of war movies were forced to use whatever was on hand and could look "close enough".

Great examples of this were the "King Tigers" and "Panthers" in Battle of the Bulge, another great classic from the same era as Battle of Britain, and the use of Texan combat trainers as stand ins for Zeros in Baa Baa Black Sheep.

Good hunting!  :honoring:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

_Lindy_ #4 Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:06 PM

Feedback Airedale

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 183 battles

I watched it about two weeks ago I think, was decent

datum perficiemus munus

Heibges #5 Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 65 battles
All those late 60's/ early 70's movies WWII movies with the allstar casts were fantastic.  I wonder if it is because so many of the actors were in WWII.
"If the Healer gets killed it's the Tank's fault.  If the Tank gets killed it's the Healer's fault.  If the DPS get killed it's their own fault." - various

PanzerGuard #6 Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:07 PM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 11 battles
  • [COLA] COLA

They just had a documentry on PBS (for you in the states) a few weeks ago, it was really good and got me all jacked up to hop back in my plane lol.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users