How do you deal with tailgunners?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

ComradeBlyat #1 Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:45 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

Hello!

I am fairly new to WoWp. I am currently grinding through the Japanese line and I really enjoy the planes in general (tbh it probably has more to do with my interest in Japanese planes then their in game performance). Iam currently on the A6M1 and I have one major issue.

How do you deal with tail gunners? They allways seem to put me to 1/2 hp before I can shoot the enemy plane down. This greatly limits the fighting I can do after.

-Edit: What angle should I take when trying to gain an elevated position? The fights always seem to occur way above my head (500m+)

Thanks!

Soviet Bias>German Orbit Planes

Zen35 #2 Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

Aerial Ninjitsu

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Attack from a high angle...... From the side.....

Better yet..... get clsoe but below the plane.......the come up......and fire

But the best way is from the side... making slashing attacks.....

If you see the Tracers...............It's too late

Deusmortis #3 Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:01 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 520 battles

Indeed.  Rather than chasing their tail, come in from perpindicular angles.   Fly from his right to his left, turn, fly from his left to his right, repeat as needed. 

As for the second part, Japanese planes don't have great boost or climb rates.  It will be difficult to get to high altitudes, and once you get there, your plane will have terrible performance.  It's a weakness of the line.

Heh #4 Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:09 PM

Sky Whale Historian

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Note that you're in the Japanese line. You need to attack the sky whale PERFECTLY or get shafted. Coming in from practically perpendicular angles is indeed a good way of knocking them down.
Heh - aeromarine biologist

View Posthahiha, on , said:

OMG Heh you have had so many posts O_O

pappabear #5 Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:10 PM

Community Noob

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • [LIGS] LIGS

View PostZen35, on 18 November 2013 - 11:49 AM, said:

LOL you get close and under me I have a special tail gunner for you most times.:trollface:

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

SeamusMacMattain #6 Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:30 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1 battle

also if you do decide to go for theit tail end, shoot them until you get to about 350m or so then pull around to give yourself some shooting room again, if you do get closer than that, the tail gunner will wipe you up in that zero (A6M1 is the only zero I like)

Another thing you can do, is to swing your plane back and forth using your guns to burst fire as the target goes in front of you during each swing, the constant movement makes it harder for the rear gunner to do his job....

\m/ o.O \m/

pyantoryng #7 Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:36 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2058 battles

View Postpappabear, on 18 November 2013 - 05:10 PM, said:

LOL you get close and under me I have a special tail gunner for you most times.:trollface:

The "special tail gunner" seems to have lost some effectiveness as of late...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

losttwo #8 Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 4446 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
I have discovered that if you throw a Klondike at the tailgunner he will stop shooting at you. After all "What would you do for a Klondike bar? ". Seriously as mentioned above get out of his fireing range and angle. When your plane begins taking hits manuever out of the way don't just keep taking hits and maintianing the attack, You are not Luke Skywalker flying an X-wing with some commander telling you to "stay on target" . There is a range you can shoot with out being shot at leanr it for each enemy, there is an angle you can shoot with out being shot. All this takes time and a willingness to learn. IN my tier 3 Japanese when attacking a FW 57 I only attack at long range or from bellow the tail horizon. 45 degrees from the front or 90 degrees in a turn. If I see myself going head on I barrel roll to manuever below it then turn and shoot, I never run from it and I always stay out of the tailgunners area of fire.

Zen35 #9 Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:31 PM

Aerial Ninjitsu

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postpappabear, on 18 November 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

Let me re-specify my self here......

My original post will work........Unless your flying against PAPABEAR !!!!!!!!!

Against PAPPA...... Angled slashing attacks ONLY !!!!!!!!!!!

NEVER !!!!   NEVER !!!!  NEVER !!!!  NEVER !!!!  NEVER !!!!  NEVER !!!!  ................(have I said never enough yet)

NEVER get behind PAPPABEAR........He will make you pay dearly !!!!!!

Side note to Pappa...........You still owe me 3 P-40's !!!!!

:veryhappy::veryhappy::veryhappy:

If you see the Tracers...............It's too late

pyantoryng #10 Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2058 battles

View PostZen35, on 19 November 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

View Postpappabear, on 18 November 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

NEVER !!!!   NEVER !!!!  NEVER !!!!  NEVER !!!!  NEVER !!!!  NEVER !!!!  ................(have I said never enough yet)

Actually...you can just evade before you go into the danger zone and make another pass...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Xarlanna15 #11 Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
When you can, attack from below.  Takes most of the tailgunners out of the picture.

Wolfrum #12 Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

I honestly hit them from below if at all possible (unless they are brave souls who fly literally on the deck). Otherwise sideways runs make the most of your passes while minimizing your exposure.

-Wolf

A veteran is someone who at some point wrote a cheque to their country that was 'up to and including my life'

Heh #13 Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

Sky Whale Historian

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostWolfrum, on 03 January 2014 - 06:00 PM, said:

I honestly hit them from below if at all possible

Wait, some sky whale riders aren't flying at sub-100 ft as a maximum altitude? Normally your dreams of ever hitting a sky whale from below should be non-existent.

PrettyWoods #14 Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:59 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

Just started flying the Japanese line, but had a lot of luck with a 10 or 2 o'clock approach.

You're in no danger of their front guns, can usually unload until your guns overheat, then fly over and loop around to approach from their other front side.  If they start speeding up I'll approach from the side or below if they're high enough and out of bombs.

SeamusMacMattain #15 Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:30 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1 battle
I see far too many double and single digit altitudes in my GA planes, yes I am THAT nutjob, I would like to see someone get me from the belly side, would it happen before or after they crashed into the ground?? lmbo

\m/ o.O \m/

woofman34 #16 Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:33 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 5 battles
  • [SG] SG

View PostZen35, on 19 November 2013 - 07:31 AM, said:

LOL I love it!

SeamusMacMattain #17 Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:54 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1 battle

SO I just left game after this incident:

I am on pacific in my LBSh and shooting up the AA on the eastern side of the map and a tier 3 flight of 2 guys decides I am easy game, I was push 80ft elevation at this point, railing these targets, I proceed to drop 2 bombs off, and before the first one hits, my rear gunner tags the first guy, and the bomb nails the second one.

I finally get taken out by a 110c6 and all the while I am still taking GT with me. Also at this time, the 2 pilots I killed are calling me a hacker, and they will be watching me, etc. I assume they sent a complaint in game, and probably a ticket as well before its all over.

Is it me, or is it the fact that people tend to whine if they simply cannot handle a guy who flew a specific plane for over 2500 battles in testing and knows how to fly it well, just got my 3rd thunder in it. It carried my most aces in testing and also had awards they have since made impossible for an Attack plane to get. I started release with 5 air marks and 6 ground marks on this plane and played it before it was a premium.

Hacker? http://worldofwarpla...amusMacMattain/

look my stats up, are they the stats of a hacker?

I cannot fly any other plane the way I fly that one and I am tired of being called a hacker because I have double or triple the time they have in game  with that plane alone

Edit: sorry, rant over, taking soapbox home now

Edited by SeamusMacMattain, 04 January 2014 - 06:55 PM.

\m/ o.O \m/

pappabear #18 Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:01 PM

Community Noob

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • [LIGS] LIGS

View PostSeamusMacMattain, on 04 January 2014 - 01:54 PM, said:

I am on pacific in my LBSh and shooting up the AA on the eastern side of the map and a tier 3 flight of 2 guys decides I am easy game, I was push 80ft elevation at this point, railing these targets, I proceed to drop 2 bombs off, and before the first one hits, my rear gunner tags the first guy, and the bomb nails the second one.

I finally get taken out by a 110c6 and all the while I am still taking GT with me. Also at this time, the 2 pilots I killed are calling me a hacker, and they will be watching me, etc. I assume they sent a complaint in game, and probably a ticket as well before its all over.

Is it me, or is it the fact that people tend to whine if they simply cannot handle a guy who flew a specific plane for over 2500 battles in testing and knows how to fly it well, just got my 3rd thunder in it. It carried my most aces in testing and also had awards they have since made impossible for an Attack plane to get. I started release with 5 air marks and 6 ground marks on this plane and played it before it was a premium.

I cannot fly any other plane the way I fly that one and I am tired of being called a hacker because I have double or triple the time they have in game  with that plane alone

When you start getting called a Hacker, you know your doing it right.:veryhappy:

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

SeamusMacMattain #19 Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:26 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1 battle
I've been getting called hacker in that plane since before the original release date in September... lol

\m/ o.O \m/

Heh #20 Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:55 PM

Sky Whale Historian

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostSeamusMacMattain, on 04 January 2014 - 06:54 PM, said:

You currently have 1337 battles. They have a point there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users