setting weapon groups

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

Robert_Noon #1 Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:17 PM

Airman Basic

• 6 battles

I see I can set keys for different weapon groups but how do I know what weapons im putting in each group?  Or if im actuallt putting weapons in a group?

SkyWolf__WM #2 Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:47 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12033 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

Hmmmmm...... I played with it a few months ago trying to find a setup I liked for the XFL-1

As I recall

Group 1 is primary machine guns (Or cannon if that's all you have

Group 2 is Cannon

Group 3 is heckifino more cannons?

Step up smart people. 

***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.

billafu #3 Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:12 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

They appear to fire the guns differentially, as opposed to the Fire command that fires all guns at once. There doesn't seem to be a user choice as to which group includes which gun(s) however.

Do any of the planes currently available include more than three different caliber guns?

Edited by billafu, 18 November 2013 - 12:16 AM.

"It is difficult to soar with eagles when surrounded by turkeys."
A hanger is a device upon which one hangs an article of clothing in a closet.

dictionarydotreferencedotcom
Use it, please.

Argon3 #4 Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:02 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Senior Alpha Test Veteran
  • 150 battles

If you look while flying Most MGs seem to be 1 weapons group

Group 2 I think

Cannons another (group 1)

Not in game or I could check for you

Trigger fires them all standard

You can assign one button for one group if you want

And as far as i know no planes have more than 2 types of MGs/ cannons

If I am wrong somebody fill it in

Ypou can have 2 groups of MGs of the same type on a Plane with a cannon

But that ......

That is a british AC and I need to check that out

Of course rockets and bombs are different buttons also

There are only two types pilots that fly
Targets and Aces.... :kamikaze:
And Cats with lazer eyes to shot down the Aces

Leadpiper #5 Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:52 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [REL-V] REL-V
The ME109 had 2xMgs, 2x20mm canons and1 30mm through the propeller hub, as far as firing separately  presumably due to different ranges I see no benefit in it since we do have unlimited ammo.

venser #6 Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:57 AM

Planeswalker

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 78 battles
Keys for different weapon groups? I had no idea that was an option, but I guess it would be pretty pointless otherwise... learned something new...
Ace: Fw 57
"If the tanks planes succeed, then victory follows." -Heinz (sort of) Guderian
... still a member of FRAG

Victor6 #7 Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • [BACON] BACON

Been using this feature on some planes since the alpha.

If you have a cannon/MG mix, in the pre-unlimited ammo days you could use the MG's to establish correct lead and get a few hits then hammer them with the cannon and MGs both.

Now ammo is unlimited but gun heating is not, so you can still do the same. Couple bursts with the MGs till you connect with your alternate-fire button then mash the trigger and let them have it. Since guns cool at different rates you can also alternate the two and keep up a steady fire at closer ranges.

"I could stand to hear a little more." -Jayne

XSTRM #8 Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:05 PM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles

View PostVictor6, on 19 November 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

Since guns cool at different rates you can also alternate the two and keep up a steady fire at closer ranges.

That sounds like the best use for that feature, sometimes when killing those attack planes with those 600 HPs I tend to heat my guns up very fast and takes forever killing him.

TheGreenTank #9 Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:22 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • [MEMES] MEMES

I customize my setup a bit, so I can use all 3 fire groups.

Left/right mouse buttons for 1 and 2, with my number "2" (above my QWEASD controls) for the third group (rare, but shows up here and there, Bf109E most common). I put my consumables over on 4 5 6, WoT-fashion. (1 2 3 usually are reserved for ammo selection, so I figure may as well use it for weapon group selection.)

An alternative is to use Left mouse button for "group two" or "group one" (doesn't really matter I reckon), and use Right mouse button for the normal plain "Fire" hotkey that just fires all your weapons together.

ThomasFranz67 #10 Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:23 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 90 battles
  • [VIKNG] VIKNG

I wished there was a way to just seperate the cannons from the MG's, like having a Trigger for MG's and Cannons and a Trigger for Cannons only.:playing:

As of now I don't think you can set it up that way, and if you have 3 different calibers mounted (i.e. Bf 109 E) you end up with 3 Triggers which is just too many in my opinion.

I tried it and went back to one Trigger. :sad:

Dsembr_Rein #11 Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 126 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View PostThomasFranz67, on 11 December 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

I wished there was a way to just seperate the cannons from the MG's, like having a Trigger for MG's and Cannons and a Trigger for Cannons only.:playing:

As of now I don't think you can set it up that way, and if you have 3 different calibers mounted (i.e. Bf 109 E) you end up with 3 Triggers which is just too many in my opinion.

I tried it and went back to one Trigger. :sad:

You can do that. If you leave your "Fire" button as is, you can set the weapon group most commonly associated with cannons (can't remember which one it is off the top of my head, and in some aircraft configurations it may be different) to another button or key. That way your default fire is all weapons as well as the secondary trigger for just the cannons.

What I'd really like, though, is the ability to cycle through firing groups as customized presets with a single key/button-press while keeping my LMB as the only trigger.

hawkeyededic #12 Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:02 AM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 962 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostLeadpiper, on 17 November 2013 - 08:52 PM, said:

The ME109 had 2xMgs, 2x20mm canons and1 30mm through the propeller hub, as far as firing separately  presumably due to different ranges I see no benefit in it since we do have unlimited ammo.

Each gun caliber aims differently due to varying muzzle velocities and range. So by having each group set to a different trigger you can only fire the weapons that are most effective for the situation, particularly if you know your not going ot be able to hit with the 30mm you can save the heat on it by only firing the MG's and 20mm which fire much closer together in relation to the aim point.

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

ThomasFranz67 #13 Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:08 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 90 battles
  • [VIKNG] VIKNG

View PostDsembr_Rein, on 11 December 2013 - 05:35 PM, said:

You can do that. If you leave your "Fire" button as is, you can set the weapon group most commonly associated with cannons (can't remember which one it is off the top of my head, and in some aircraft configurations it may be different) to another button or key. That way your default fire is all weapons as well as the secondary trigger for just the cannons.

What I'd really like, though, is the ability to cycle through firing groups as customized presets with a single key/button-press while keeping my LMB as the only trigger.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that tonight after work.

I also like your idea about the cycle thru grouping of weapons. Maybe use the Mouse wheel for that ?

Nihtwaco #14 Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:35 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 695 battles
  • [DSA] DSA

LMB fire all, Middle mouse button to fire 2, Usually that is the Hub cannon or on Il family the big wing guns. I fly so many different planes daily I do not want to fine detailed a setup which does not translate between aircraft.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users