memory leak

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

Mercsn #1 Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:11 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2616 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
So, I run a process explorer program similar to task manager so that I can set WoWP.exe to run at high priority.  It also shows me readouts of mem and cpu usage.  The other day, I caught WoWP.exe using up 2.7gig of RAM.  It seems to use closer to 1gig when it's started up.  Is this still the memory leak?  I have 12 gig so I don't think I've ever had the mem leak crash, but it seems an awful lot of memory usage when the min requirements are 3 gig and we've had so much optimizations in recent patches (hangar loading aside!).

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

FryaDuck #2 Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:15 PM

Squadron Leader Knucklehead

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
Indeed, there is a memory leak still.
Oderint, dum metuant, tunc ad infernum - Let them hate as long as they fear then go to hell
1st AlphaAce IL-2 (t)(Air)

rev01ution #3 Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:41 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
You would think fixing this would be on their "must have" list for the game's release.

oldiowaguy #4 Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 145 battles
  • [4HIM] 4HIM
I had the memory leak crash 3 times yesterday. For me it was on Arctic map. My computer is almost bare minimum to run the game though.

DeltaEon #5 Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:06 PM

The Quiet One

• Community Ace
  • 23 battles
I have yet to hit the memory leak crash myself within the past month, but I've found it crashes if you hit the 32-bit (32 bit program) memory address limit.. which is roughly 4GB on the mark or if you exceed the amount of free memory you have.. as soon as it goes over that the game just locks.

In my case, it only happens if I play for around 7 hours continuously. That is rare for me. xD

"The thing about perfection is that it's unknowable. It's impossible, but it's also right in front of us all the time."
- Kevin Flynn

losttwo #6 Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 5412 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
I don't remember :amazed:

FreeFOXMIKE #7 Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

G.A.T.P. (Global Alpha Test Pilot)

• 5111 battles
  • [332ND] 332ND

View Postrev01ution, on 28 October 2013 - 01:41 PM, said:

You would think fixing this would be on their "must have" list for the game's release.
I am sure it high on the list ,but it not like making one fix for just one PC ,and one system
renumber any fix on any thing addressed must work one as many PC to systems as as out there,and then add the addition problem of added equipment after you PC is out of the box. Like adding Vid ,and sound cards.

332 Virtual  Fighter  Group

tahee59 #8 Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 22 battles
on my old cpu I used to have to reboot game every 4th battle , went out got an alienware now I get it about every 5 to 6 hrs

husband #9 Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1553 battles
memory leak leaves me at "updating hanger" for 30 sec
memory leak drops my fps to 4 when my plane is hit AA fire or cannons (I presume the latter is memory leak - not sure)

Bogie_with_Stu #10 Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [K_O_S] K_O_S

View PostFreeFOXMIKE, on 28 October 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

I am sure it high on the list ,but it not like making one fix for just one PC ,and one system
renumber any fix on any thing addressed must work one as many PC to systems as as out there,and then add the addition problem of added equipment after you PC is out of the box. Like adding Vid ,and sound cards.

Actually, a memory leak proble IS a "one size fits all" fix. You plug the memory leak and ALL systems will perform better. It's a very generic system level problem, unlike a video card driver mis-match or a hardware conflict.

It is like improving a road surface and fixing pot holes and such. It doesnt matter what kind of car drives on it...it still see's the improvement.

I had a HUGE problem with this when I was running a 32 bit windows system. It has completely disappeared since switching to a 64 bit system, getting a 4 gig video card and upping my system memory to 8 gigs.

Bogie_with_Stu #11 Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [K_O_S] K_O_S

View Posthusband, on 28 October 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

memory leak leaves me at "updating hanger" for 30 sec
memory leak drops my fps to 4 when my plane is hit AA fire or cannons (I presume the latter is memory leak - not sure)
Actually..the first issue is one we are all having...since the last patch...and has nothing to do with the memory leak.

The second issue is not a memory leak issue either....that is a pure processor speed/ video processing issue.

sgtcheapbeer #12 Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:32 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 27 battles
A memory leak is like a virtual oil leak in your computer. It slowly drains the available memory, reducing the amount of free memory the system can use. Most memory leaks are caused by a program that unintentionally uses up increasing amounts of memory while it is running. This is typically a gradual process that gets worse as the program remains open. If the leak is bad enough, it can cause the program to crash or even make the whole computer freeze.
The most common reason programs have memory leaks is due to a programming error where unused memory is not allocated back to the system. This means the amount of RAM the program uses is always growing. Therefore, the program is constantly "leaking" memory. A memory leak may also be caused by a program that requests new memory too frequently, instead of using available memory. This means each time more memory is requested, the program takes up additional RAM instead of using memory that has already been made available to the program.
Fortunately, memory leaks are not as messy as oil leaks and can be more easily fixed. Software development applications often include debuggers that can check programs for memory leaks. Once the source of the leak is found, the programmer can modify the code so that the program uses memory more efficiently. If you are using a program that has a memory leak, you can temporarily fix the problem by simply quitting the program and opening it again. Once the program has been quit, the memory is automatically allocated back to the system. Of course, if the leak continues to be a problem, the best solution is to let the developer know about the issue so it can be fixed.

Copy and pasted from  PC.net

Also tagged with memory, leak

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users