A5M: proper use

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

HarryxCallahan #1 Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:15 PM

Airman Basic

• 138 battles
I am new to this aircraft and would like some pointers on how i should use it to it's max potential.

pyantoryng #2 Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:37 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2056 battles
Japanese planes are to be used in turnfighting...viable in lower tier, not so much later on. Use your superior turning and maneuvering ability to get behind enemies and shred them down.

Keep in mind, though, that you have only 2 moderately fast firing guns. They may be superior in caliber, but they do not spill out many bullets. Avoid frontal attack at all costs - even I-15bisDM-2 can do frontals better due to it being armed with four of the fast firing ShKAS machine guns while the A5M gets two heavy machine guns at best, and they are not exactly powerful by themselves, either.

...and people will say that Japanese line is a lost cause...due to how high tier (and even before that, energy fighting) works. Just play what you want and as you like.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

losttwo #3 Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 4395 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
all I can do is share my experience, others people's mileage may very.  As in any battle I first look at the comparison chart on the start screen to see what advantages I have over the other planes. being a Tier 3 plane it can be a good mix or horrible mix. If I have no real advantage I will fly along one edge of the map waiting for the targets to be lit up by team mates. Or if I notice an enemy I will attack as soon as he is spotted. If I see a fur ball of enemy I will dive into the mess and shoot the closest one, fly through to the other side and out...like a hit ad run. get safe then turn and repeat. If I have engaged someone with more maneuverability then I will normally boost vertically and roll over on top while he is turning horizontally. If I do not have a speed advantage then I dive for ground and pull up looping into them. I avoid turn fighting if at all possible and will loop or turn perpendicular to them using engine boost. Many times I find other targets as I am trying to evade an enemy on my six and go for them strafe them and turn back to the original enemy. Multiple targets of opportunity often times exist. It is ok if you do not get the kill but do as much damage as you can. If you see multiple targets  heading at you( 3 close together) then staffe the first 2 and attack the 3rd or last person in line this will increase your survivability and then head for the group of friendlies on the map. Do not turn to engage them if there is another option. Never try to escape or attack vertically up always down.

Edited by losttwo, 04 October 2013 - 06:46 PM.

Heh #4 Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:27 AM

Sky Whale Historian

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Basically, sneak up on people don't stop turnfighting them.
Heh - aeromarine biologist

View Posthahiha, on , said:

OMG Heh you have had so many posts O_O

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users