Updating help needed.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

iron_horse_thunderbolt #1 Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:27 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [TFP] TFP
OK, I have submitted a ticket about the problems I have been having with the game recently (concerning the battles starting before my computer even loads it), and I got a response. The response was that my computer was behind on updates, and provided a link to a site to get them (thank you WG).

However, I'm no tech wiz, so I need some help interpreting some things here.

DxDiag file is attached.

Also, here's a link to the site that they provided.

http://support.amd.c...ages/index.aspx

Any help you can provide is appreciated. Thank you.

Attached Files

"When he sees the enemy, he attacks and kills. Anything else is rubbish."

Manfred Von Richthofen; 1916
Currently have 1 ace: F4F Wildcat. Waiting for the next one.

Gary_62 #2 Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:34 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 106 battles
  • [-D_D-] -D_D-
I have had your problem so I feel for you . click on the link it will take you to the AMD web site when there go to top of page click on drivers .that will take you to the driver down load page if you see auto detect click on that. it should read your computer and find out what your specs are os. graphics card cpu computer model ect. and give you a list of driver down loads. click on the one that has the most recent date it will down load the files for you. when its done you should be ready to go.  I hope this helps
" REMEMBER no mater were you go there you are" (pig killer from Mad Max beyond Thunder Dome)

Mercsn #3 Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:50 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2601 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
At least tech support has started including the link to the proper manufacturer's website, however, the OEM's websites (nvidia and amd/ati) are both screwy and won't give you the "right" driver, often.  Great job including your DxDiag!

Below I will give you a link to a website where you can download the most recent WHQL certified amd driver, version 13.9 dated 9/2013 where yours is 8/2012. (Your dxdiag shows you on version 8.x, although that might be an HP number, it gets tricky with laptop's sometimes as it's "normally" recommended to get the vid card driver from the laptop mfg as opposed to the GPU mfg since you may lose some functionality by getting the generic driver from the GPU mfg.)

I've been using the 13.6 beta driver since closed beta on my Asus laptop and have had no issues with missing features from this laptop. I'm actually glad you had this post up becuase they now have version 13.9 WHQL certified, so I'm going to upgrade to that myself.

Please see the webpage screenshots where I point out which download to use (doing it this route incase anyone other AMD/ATI users find your thread). This is the site I download my drivers from, but I can in no way guarantee anything regarding safety, etc. If you feel advanced, you can browse through the site and take a look at other GPU monitoring or overclocking tools (I mention this for anyone who might view this thread, since the OP mentions he's not feeling very tech advanced).

(click thumbnail to expand fullscreen)
DO NOT click any big "download" buttons. Those are add. You will click on the blue hypertext link for the 64bit windows 8 mobility driver. This will work for your 64bit windows 8 laptop and supports your 7000 series GPU.
amdvidcard2.jpg

Then, on the next page DO NOT click any big "download" buttons.  Windows should ask you if you want to allow the file to download.  Select "yes" and save it to whatever directory you usually save stuff to.  This is a self extracting executable file that will run the AMD setup utility, so make sure you know where to find the file.  If Windows does not offer you the option to download, see the screenshot for the blue link to click to start downloading the file.
amdvidcardB2.jpg

After you download and save the file. Double click it to run the AMD setup. If the program offers a "clean install", choose that. This option will remove your old driver for you (Supposedly, the OEMs have gotten better at their installers being able to remove the old driver. You can also, unistall the driver yourself, but if you're not familiar with that, this should work fine.)

Follow THIS link to the webpage you can d/l the 13.9 driver from directly.

You might also want to download the 13.4 driver from THIS page incase you run into anything weird with 13.9.  Sometimes "newest" isn't always better and 13.4 seems to have been pretty stable, but with Win 8, the 13.9 may be better for you and whatever issue you may be having might be becuase the game wants a win8 specefic driver, which means you would need 13.8 or newer.  It would be nice if OEMs could sort this stuff out for us.  (Again, follow the link for "mobiliy driver windows 8/ 7, 64 bit.)

Of course, you can always try to find 13.10beta, 13.9 whql, 13.8 or 13.4 from the AMD link tech support sent you, but the OEM makes it so difficult to get what you really need/want.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

Mercsn #4 Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2601 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
I'm tired of having to reformat when editing, so....

On the site I linked in addition to other vid related tools you can download, there's also lots of chat about the drivers and any issues people are having relating to games, win 8 or the driver on that page.  So, if you have the time and can understand it, it's some interesting reading.

Gary_62 #5 Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 106 battles
  • [-D_D-] -D_D-
Mercsn's suggestion sounds like a better deal if i were you Iron horse i'd go there. I'm thinking about doing that my self.
" REMEMBER no mater were you go there you are" (pig killer from Mad Max beyond Thunder Dome)

iron_horse_thunderbolt #6 Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:32 PM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [TFP] TFP
Thanks, but I'm running into a problem.

The first link you provided isn't taking me to the site, I get a message saying that the site could not be found.

Mercsn #7 Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:19 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2601 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
Gah! I was a bit tired when posting that, then I got distracted reading about the drivers and how they work with win 8 (I'm on win 7).I'll fix the link later, can't do it from mobile.

Fixed the link to 13.9 driver in the main post.  It only took me three tries.  Buggy forums.

Edited by Mercsn, 04 October 2013 - 04:38 AM.

iron_horse_thunderbolt #8 Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:13 PM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [TFP] TFP
OK, have 13.9. Thanks.

Mercsn #9 Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:38 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2601 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
Make sure you got the mobility version.  Let us know if that helped with the loading issue you mentioned.

iron_horse_thunderbolt #10 Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:18 AM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [TFP] TFP
Problem. The issue that I was having earlier did go away for a little while, but now it's back. It was so bad that my FPS in one match was as low as 3 FPS with ALL settings on low.

I just don't get it. I don't get what's going on. I have installed the game booster, but it doesn't  seem to be doing anything.

Mercsn #11 Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2601 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
You might be suffering from the memory leak bug.  When you notice this again, try a hard restart of your machine, power off, not just a windows restat and see if the game goes back to "normal" after the hard restart.

Also, your pc might be parking the core the game is on.  Since this game isn't taking advantage of multicore support, the second lapse might be really backing things up.
If the hard restart doesn't put the game back to "normal", here is an article explaining how to prevent your laptop from parking the cores.  This is for Win 7 though, but if you have power options, it should work.  You can google "cpu core parking" if you havn't heard of this before.  This is a bit advanced and requires you to edit the registry.  I've done this and it solved an issue I had in other games with my pc "stuttering".  I'm not sure if this might relate to the FPS bottleneck at all with your machine.

I don't know what game booster does, but if you haven't tried running without it, try that.  Turn it off and run the game and see what you get.

iron_horse_thunderbolt #12 Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:38 AM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [TFP] TFP
Ok, yet another problem. Man I am not having any luck with this game right now.

This time, it's not that the computer was is loading the game slowly, it's that it gets to the screen, but it doesn't do anything. It's like it partly loads, but then freezes. I tried taking a screenshot, but that won't help for the screenshot didn't even come out.

I should mention that this was after trying a hard restart.

Mercsn #13 Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:48 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2601 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
I sometimes have a similar issue.  I'm chalking it up to my hard drive though as I know it seems to be having issues at times...and it's subjected to pretty rough treatment.  I"ve been debating whether to upgrade to SSD or to upgrade the whole comp.  It's 3 years old, but I overbought and it's still getting the job mostly done.  Laptops are just tricky overall.

You might try defraggmenting your hard disk and seeing if that helps.

iron_horse_thunderbolt #14 Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:04 AM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [TFP] TFP

View PostMercsn, on 15 October 2013 - 03:48 AM, said:

You might try defraggmenting your hard disk and seeing if that helps.
:amazed:  :amazed:  :amazed:  :amazed: ............................................huh?

Oh yeah. I might want to try cleaning out the darn thing. Maybe that will help (with my luck, that will have been the problem the whole time :veryhappy: ).

Mercsn #15 Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:47 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2601 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
Defragmenting a hard drive is the process of cleaning up how files are stored on the drive, which can help search, access and loading times if the hard drive has had lots of files added and deleted over it's lifetime.

Here's a link to the microsoft siteexplaining how to do it in Win 8.

This is a link to the free program, Defraggler, that I use, but I'm not sure if it's Win 8 compatible.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users