A6M5

Japanese tier 6

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

cavalry221 #1 Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:16 AM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles
So, Since this patch I have been doing a great deal of comparing the aircraft changes. When I started playing I decided Japan was for me, because I've always admired the Zero (A6 series). My problem is this: the HP of these aircraft. It is hardly competitive. It has a third less HP than other aircraft of the tier, and only has a marginal amount of maneuverability to make up for it. Sure you can attempt to outmaneuver your opponent, but in my experience with this, they only need one or two good passes on you and you're done. I just feel like a glass cannon. Is it me? Or are these planes just low competitors?

SkyWolf__WM #2 Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:32 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8190 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S
They were referred to as "Kites" IRL.

The idea is that you can't easily turn fight them... if at all. But they are extremely vulnerable to B&Z aircraft... so you must spend equal amounts of time doing one and avoiding the other.
***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.

Heh #3 Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:12 PM

Sky Whale Historian

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
>admires Zero
>doesn't know that it had absolutely no pilot protection

Wat. The low HP is actually accurate to say the least, since only a handful of .50 cal API was needed to down a Zero.
Heh - aeromarine biologist

View Posthahiha, on , said:

OMG Heh you have had so many posts O_O

cavalry221 #4 Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:40 PM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles

View PostHeh, on 01 October 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

>admires Zero
>doesn't know that it had absolutely no pilot protection

>Come into thread
> offers nothing helpful

wat. Historical accuracy is very little what any of wargaming.net's games have. I'm asking for the sake of game balance. If we're going for historical accuracy than a 23mm round through the engine should deadine it.

Heh #5 Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:49 PM

Sky Whale Historian

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View Postcavalry221, on 01 October 2013 - 06:40 PM, said:

>Come into thread
> offers nothing helpful

wat. Historical accuracy is very little what any of wargaming.net's games have. I'm asking for the sake of game balance. If we're going for historical accuracy than a 23mm round through the engine should deadine it.

The Zero being frail isn't just historical accuracy, it's a requisite. It's one of the definite things needed for a Zero to be a Zero. It's like differentiating a donut from a bagel. You cannot, under any circumstances, have an aviation game with Japanese planes that has some degree of realism (it's true, WG has some degree of realism) not model the sheer pathetic durability of the A6M. Balance is not a reason to remove a requisite from a somewhat realistic game.
Heh - aeromarine biologist

View Posthahiha, on , said:

OMG Heh you have had so many posts O_O

Akaei #6 Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:09 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 204 battles
  • [DTD] DTD
I've only gottent to tier IV in the A6.  It seems like a superior turner.  One on one I like my odds as long as it doesn't start head-on.  Against two or more (or group on group) it's a crap shoot.  The bombs are pretty meagre and I suspect that ground targets are hardened based on average or top tier of the map.  For instance I've been on the Harbor map with tier III and IV and a direct hit with a bomb seems to more consistently finish a HQ at 75% or less.  But also on the Harbor map with tiers IV through VI a bomb hit on an HQ at 50% doesn't always kill it.  This conclusion is based on a fairly small sample, about 100 battles in the A6M1.

I find the Bristol 146 favorable in many ways.  The guns seem quite a bit better.  It's noticably more durable.  Somewhat better speed and climb (maybe better than I realize.)  More boost.  It turns almost as well as the Zero but in a turning battle against a Zero the 146 can't afford to make a mistake.  The 146 also bleeds speed more during turning and ascending (unboosted) maneuvers.  I might argue that it bleeds too much speed or counter-argue that's where pilot skill and use of boost come in.

I prefer the 146 in most scenarios.  The benefits of two improved ground attacks and some superiority in specific dogfight conditions aren't enough to keep me from switcing my preference from the A6 to the 146.  I am surprised.

JDMFreakz #7 Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:46 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 106 battles

>Come into thread
> offers nothing helpful

If the Zero has higher HP, it might be OP compared to the RU fighters. (and both of them are terribly UP, lol)

pyantoryng #8 Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:25 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2061 battles

View PostJDMFreakz, on 01 December 2013 - 12:46 AM, said:

>Come into thread
> offers nothing helpful

If the Zero has higher HP, it might be OP compared to the RU fighters. (and both of them are terribly UP, lol)

Umm...you know this thread is from two months ago back when the 'M5 was tier 5?

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Bandet #9 Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:36 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

The zero turns so well BECAUSE it has no armor.

That is reflected in the game.

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.

Also tagged with Japanese tier 6

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users