mouse 0.5.3 controls

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
60 replies to this topic

OrionsByte #41 Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:42 PM

Senior Airman

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • [COTP] COTP
I have a pretty unorthodox controls setup, so I just thought I'd share.

I might be the only person in the world who likes it set up this way, but the idea was to give me vector control for fine adjustments while still using follow-me control for larger turns. It makes it a lot easier for me to keep on target while banking, but it makes straight flight a bit more challenging. Bombing and head-on attacks are a bit tougher as a result, but I feel like the trade off is worth it; I tend to over-correct using the follow-me controls when in a dogfight, so having the controls switch to more vector-based while close to the center allows me to mitigate that tendency.

Feel free to tell me I'm crazy.  ;)

WoWP Mouse Settings.jpg

OrionsByte #42 Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:38 PM

Senior Airman

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • [COTP] COTP

View PostProVersius, on 01 October 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

I like the ability to lock the horizon. IT was sorely needed. I don't really understand the adjustments on the graph. What does each dot mean? Basically I left that thing alone, and adjusted the sliders. Talk about confusing. Maybe someone could make a tutorial on setting that thing up. Other than that, I do like the way EVERY plane flies now. I give a thumbs up on the controls overall..
Yeah the graph took me a while to figure out.
When using the mouse controls, the mouse cursor is always going to be some distance away from the direction your plane is actually flying (basically, where your reticle is pointing). If you're flying straight, that distance is close to zero (the mouse cursor is in the center of your reticle). If you're in a hard bank, that distance is very high.
So on the graph, the left side changes how controls respond when that mouse-to-reticle distance is small, and the right side changes how controls respond with the mouse-to-reticle distance is high.
Moving a point UP on the graph makes the controls more follow-me based, and moving it DOWN makes it more vector-based.
So as an example, if you changed the graph to a diagonal line starting at the top left and ending at the bottom right, you'd be telling your controls to use the follow-me style (top)  when the mouse-to-reticle distance is small (left), but use vector style (bottom) when the mouse-to-reticle distance is large (right).
Hopefully that helps.

Edited by OrionsByte, 02 October 2013 - 06:44 PM.

ProVersius #43 Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:54 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostOrionsByte, on 02 October 2013 - 06:38 PM, said:

Yeah the graph took me a while to figure out.
When using the mouse controls, the mouse cursor is always going to be some distance away from the direction your plane is actually flying (basically, where your reticle is pointing). If you're flying straight, that distance is close to zero (the mouse cursor is in the center of your reticle). If you're in a hard bank, that distance is very high.
So on the graph, the left side changes how controls respond when that mouse-to-reticle distance is small, and the right side changes how controls respond with the mouse-to-reticle distance is high.
Moving a point UP on the graph makes the controls more follow-me based, and moving it DOWN makes it more vector-based.
So as an example, if you changed the graph to a diagonal line starting at the top left and ending at the bottom right, you'd be telling your controls to use the follow-me style (top)  when the mouse-to-reticle distance is small (left), but use vector style (bottom) when the mouse-to-reticle distance is large (right).
Hopefully that helps.

Guess it might if I knew what you meant by a vector control. LOL

But WTH happened to the controls in the past 2 days. I go to work and come back and now I got this arrow pointing where my mouse is, and the plane won't react at all. I got a dead stick!! I didn't change anything, so would WARGAMING STOP screwing with things on the back end??

Dsembr_Rein #44 Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:19 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 126 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View PostProVersius, on 05 October 2013 - 02:54 AM, said:

But WTH happened to the controls in the past 2 days. I go to work and come back and now I got this arrow pointing where my mouse is, and the plane won't react at all. I got a dead stick!! I didn't change anything, so would WARGAMING STOP screwing with things on the back end??
It's one of the 3 mouse control presets from the last patch. Standard is basically the default Mouse control from before, so that's probably what you'll want to switch it to. You don't switch between mouse control settings the way you used to, either. Now you click on the advanced settings button and it takes you to a new configuration screen. They changed too much with the controls to leave your settings, that's why you have to remap them.

Jarod997 #45 Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:44 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 79 battles
  • [CS7-E] CS7-E

View PostProVersius, on 05 October 2013 - 02:54 AM, said:

See my post way above -- make sure the "Lock Camera" option is on "On Horizon" or you'll get that yellow vector/arrow thingy. Esc -> Settings -> Controls -> Advanced Mouse Settings (button) -> the selection is on the lower left of the dialog box.

Currently enjoying: Beaufighter

SirSac #46 Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:32 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
For all of you complaining about this new mouse control, I have this to say:

I was right there with you guys at first. I even said out loud "damn they ruined the game and now I wont play". however, after playing with the controls for a bit, I was able to get the mouse acting exactly like the old 0.4.wtv it was and got my ace award the very next battle.

I since have played around with the mouse and can now see that, although a bit confusing at first, I now have far greater say in my control schema. I can have the mouse act as it did before, but have minor tweaks to suit my needs (and apparently odd style).

So essential, I am taking back my previous hate for this new system and am saying that I now like it more.... it just took some time to get it right (mostly because the default was exactly the opposite of how I like it)
I still don't understand how or why someone can shoot with their camera not locked to the plane, but hey.. looks like a lot of people do (likely why so many people can't shoot for crap).

I would suggest that you try several completely different setting and choose which is the best for you, and then start making minor tweaks and testing them in your fav (and most played) plane. you will find that once you get used to it, you will be able to tweak your controls accurately for each different plane you have while a session is starting up (and this will seriously pay off).

Mercsn #47 Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:43 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2601 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostJarod997, on 29 September 2013 - 11:18 PM, said:

So moving the "Split S" slider all the way left turns it "off"? If I want to do a split S I'll do it myself thanks... I hope Wargaming doesn't get into the "Microsoft" mode of thinking "I'll help the user do what we think they want to do".

No.  Moving the split-s slider all the way RIGHT will make it least responsive (which is as close as you can get to "off", there is no off switch for it).  This will allow a fairly strong negative G dive without the AI attempting roll the aircraft.  If you push the slider LEFT, it will increase the response of the AI activing "split-s" and roll the aircraft over without very much forward "pressure" on the controls.

Note, this is completely backwards compared to all the other sliders where right is more and left is less.  GG controls team.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

lak3rol #48 Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:16 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 35 battles
any idea how about the level off slider? and if anyone found a fix to the "I cannot pull up during low altitude" feature.

GeneralLeeSpeaking #49 Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:08 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I have no problem with them changing controls but if they change them they should work. More often then not if I make a quick maneuver with mouse controls on horizon, such as a vertical climb after diving i end up staring at my nose with the controls unresponsive. The mouse mimics a free look camera when this happens. No matter what settings I have, under no circumstances should controls mimic a free look camera, ever. Whatever they did, although workable, is inherently flawed and needs to be changed.....again.

Jarod997 #50 Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:36 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 79 battles
  • [CS7-E] CS7-E
And here I was just thinking my aircraft was too heavy and at the wrong attitude and speed to pull out before I crashed.

Currently enjoying: Beaufighter

Mercsn #51 Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:18 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2601 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View Postlak3rol, on 06 October 2013 - 07:16 AM, said:

any idea how about the level off slider? and if anyone found a fix to the "I cannot pull up during low altitude" feature.

At w wingman's suggestion; I bound "pitch up" to [spacebar].  Hitting the keybind will immediately pop the nose up allowing the AI to then start steering the plane towards the camera, such as when attempting a vertical loop from low altitude.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

Dsembr_Rein #52 Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:49 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 126 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
The EU portal has this article. It explains some of the settings a little better than the in-game tool tips, but there's still a few that are copy/pasted from the in-game explanations that are still lacking in specificity.

masterjev117 #53 Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

Airman Basic

• 497 battles
  • [MME] MME
I know your pain guys submit tickets and we can get the older reticle control scheme

EvanTech #54 Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:20 PM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 18 battles
  • [TETRA] TETRA
I like that now I'm not crashing into mountains because my camera angles are getting messed up :D

sgtcheapbeer #55 Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 27 battles
Does anyone use different presets for different planes ?  and can someone show the settings save file so I can back it up between tweaks   Thxs.

IanWten #56 Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:21 PM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles
I'm a relative newbie to piloting in this game. I have spent the past weekend, plus a few days, really micro-managing my mouse controls. I usually use a track-ball rather than a mouse, though sometimes I have both mouse and trackball plugged in via USB so that I can just pick whichever one I want to use to move the mouse-pointer. But even without a mouse, the track-ball will operate just like a mouse, by moving the pointer. What I've found is, if you really get to know the SLIDERS and the GRAPH under "Advanced Mouse Controls," and spend a lot of time trying to figure out what each of the variables means TO YOU PERSONALLY, then you can get a GREAT control set-up. I have improved my "training" time (Standard Battles >> Training >> Dogfight Training (number 2 out of 3) >> three airplanes, the turner, the more maneuverable, the dive-challenge) from about 9 minutes to generally less than 5. I can kill all 3 planes in approximately 2 passes each quite regularly now, and it's all thanks to controlling my controller so that the controls control what I want to control ...
OK, so below is screenshot of my sliders and graph. I like having the far-left dot all the way to the top because that means that for a micro-movement of the mouse-pointer, the plane will point exactly at the mouse-pointer and NOT SWING ANY FARTHER. This is excellent for fine-tuning that last little bit of targeting.
Adv Mouse.jpg
The "free cinematic camera" in another page of the settings interface is UNclicked; and the "mouse sensitivity" is at about 60 or 66%.
And one other final point. I have made a key-binding (number-pad 5, the key in the center of the number pad) for "Level Off Aircraft." This means that I always have a roll-to-flat command available to me from the keyboard, so I don't mind that my mouse-controls in the attached picture have a relatively small and under-powerful automatic roll-to-flat.

Edited by IanWten, 03 November 2013 - 08:25 PM.

Strykewolf #57 Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:46 PM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles
  • [AR15] AR15

I'll be trying some of these, and tweaking from there.  Tried one and had a noticeable difference on how the aircraft handled.

Now to find the closest, and go from there.

_Lindy_ #58 Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:51 PM

Feedback Airedale

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 183 battles

View Postsgtcheapbeer, on 19 October 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

Does anyone use different presets for different planes ? and can someone show the settings save file so I can back it up between tweaks Thxs.

Not different presets, but different sensitivity settings.  I normaly use something more sensitive for heavy fighters.

datum perficiemus munus

Strykewolf #59 Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:05 PM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles
  • [AR15] AR15

Almost got things back to 'feeling right', if you understand what I mean.  Been keeping the game updated and wondering why the heck my planes wouldn't fly for crud.  Glad to see this thread since it gave me an idea of what had happened to my dang controls.

Been a few months since I've played much.

paintballfreaks #60 Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:54 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
What is everyone using for on aircraft curves sense the release patch?

Also tagged with mouse, 0.5.3, controls

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users