A quick lesson from a wowp veteran for beginners

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
100 replies to this topic

Triglunk #41 Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:49 AM

Airman Basic

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
Thank you for the guide. I need all the help I can get learning the controls. Now I need to go practice some of this stuff. The locking onto target sounds very helpful even if it is not an auto-aim feature. Off to try it out.

Triglunk :Smile_izmena:

golf1biker2 #42 Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:01 PM

Senior Airman

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
Awesome post, has helped my game play, even after playing about 50 games. I'm up to tier VI so far.

LT_Mor #43 Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:19 AM

Airman Basic

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
very good ....
i find it hard to use mouse.
need to buy joystick.

ilves #44 Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:38 PM

Airman Basic

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
Slightly confused by:

- and =: decrease and increase engine power

S: Reduce speed

What is the difference?

1M4N5H0W #45 Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
Thanks for the great guide. Definitly will try the keyboard/mouse option. Seem to battle with the joystick. Always tend to over correct it. +1 for you!

GrouchySmurf #46 Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 7 battles
  • [-D_D-] -D_D-

View Postilves, on 08 May 2012 - 01:38 PM, said:

Slightly confused by:

- and =: decrease and increase engine power

S: Reduce speed

What is the difference?
S is stop engine bud :)  :Smile_izmena:

By The Time You See Me On Your 6, You've Already Been Smurfed!!!!

GeorgePatton #47 Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 40 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
Old guide... it used to be reduce speed.

Cheers!
Glenn

Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.

CrashTailspin #48 Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:51 PM

Squadron Lead / Wargaming Stunt Pilot

• Senior Alpha Test Veteran
  • 493 battles

View PostGrouchySmurf, on 08 May 2012 - 02:10 PM, said:

If memory serves me correct, it also lowers flaps.  The default key commands have changed from 0.2.3 to 0.2.4 slightly.

You must not question "The Forum Laws".  Any questioning of "The Forum Laws" results in automatic removal and / or locking of any post, regardless of the level of constructiveness or thought provocation.

ilves #49 Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

Airman Basic

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles

View PostGrouchySmurf, on 08 May 2012 - 02:10 PM, said:

And that is the same or different from shuttong your engine off?

greywolf359 #50 Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:27 PM

Senior Airman

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
This should be a big help. I'm waiting for the client to up date so I can fly for the first time!! :Smile_veryhappy:

Vipez #51 Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

Airman Basic

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
So...now I just have to learn it and stop being a NOOB xD :D

sparkiehands #52 Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:59 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 76 battles
awsome post dude...thanks
It is better to die on your feet than live on your Knees......
Emiliano Zapata

Rosivok #53 Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:01 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Thanks for the guide. Some of that will definetly help me out as I launch into the skies.

Forsakened #54 Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:47 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Awesome guide, would of been better if I would of saw this before I tried to start playing and was cannon fodder! :facepalm_wowp:

Cirran #55 Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:00 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 38 battles
  • [SHAB] SHAB
Warning Newbie post and opinion wall of text follows.
I do want feedback and suggestions so please feel free to provide them in a manner that a new guy would understand and appriciate. Thank you.
The following is my opinion which is no better or worse than anyone elses.
OP thank you for the post. It served me well. Much better then the tutorial in game did.

Greetings and salutations! I am a  brand new beta tester. I got my beta key yesterday. I down loaded the game and read some of the "welcome to beta" threads. After the game finished downloading. I started the laucher and jumped into the game. I took a look at the planes in my hanger. First impression I was like WOW!!! Simply gorgeous! I did the tutorial  and found the tutuorial simple, and direct. In hind sight I think the tutuorial should be a bit more indepth. I mean after showing the mouse movement controls then the really simple fly through rings in what amounts to a straight line with minor altitude changes. I think maybe add some more rings but have them set up where you actually have to manuever the aircraft more then just minor course corrections. Maybe set up off to the pilots left and right and at different altitudes. Anyways, I finished the tutorial and thought wow that was short. I then decided to try my hand at solo flying against bots. I did not want to fly against real people due to the fact I figured all that would do was padd someones stats and I would learn much of nothing from the encounter. I started the fight.... My first thought when the map loaded was WOW!!! beautiful scenery and my what a big map. Sadly, that went away after about 6 seconds... My airplane turned into a mad bucking bronco that was intent on getting me the heck out of it's cockpit. The controls are simply unintuitive, and unresponsive. When they do respond they become snappy and brittle which leads to over correction and the whole cycle start again and it repeats over and over and over ect...... I stopped trying to kill the bots since it was obvious that I was more of a threat to my wingman, the environment, and myself than the bots. I decided to see what I could get the plane to do. Flying a straight line is pretty good.... as long as you dont want to maintain any kind of altitude control. Drifting up and down making corrections the entire time was the best I could get. I did manage to pull off a loop but I could not do it consistantly. I got barrel rolls down pretty well tho. This went on for the entire 4 to 5 hours I put into the game yesterday. I only played in solo bot matches. I think I shot down the bot 3 times total, got ran into by one bot, he died and I got to see how your plane handles with only 25 pts of health left. I tried the keyboard, mouse controls and the keyboard only controls. I found all of them to be brutally unforgiving. I ended my flying sessions when I found that you go inverted it is easy to get confused on which way is up and which way is down. The ground and I met in a very intimate and unpleasent manner.  I went back to the forums and saw that I was not the only one struggling with the controls. I also noticed that the WoWP forum community is much like the WoT forum community. If your opinion does not match what the forum folks are. They will 1. look at your stats and if they suck tear you apart. 2. defend the flying controls and make fun of you for not wanting them to be more realistic and harder to learn.  In a break between the bots laughing at me and trolling me by mooning me when they flew by. I stated in the chat box I was new and the bots were kicking my butt. I got one reply. It gets better.... LOL, I figured that was the case but you know....
  I understand I know little to nothing about this game. This wall of letters is just my first off the cuff impression of the game. I am horrible at WoT and even worse at WoWP.  I do think that despite that I have a valid point of view. Also, the controls seem like they are a horrible middle of the road approach to flight. I think WoWP needs to decide if it is going to be a flight sim or a arcade flight game. The controls are a half breed of each.
I am NOT in anyway trying to flame the game or anyone person. I think that if a person with little to no expierence with real flight or flight sims. Tries the game with the controls as they stand I think most will grow frustrated and quit. Especially if they forgo solo flight and just jump into a battle. I think that a control scheme that is easy and intuitve is a must. The masses of horrible gamers like myself need ease of play like WoT was when it went live. Yes I know planes are not tanks and this is Closed Beta. I know the game will change and with it I hope the controls will get significantly better.

Thank you for allowing me to voice my opinion. Please if you have any suggestions or ideas just let me know.

Cirran DeCours
One sad Chien

P.S. I looked for a place to put this wall of text and only found the official feedback thread. It seem to have stringent rules for posting so I did not want to clutter up that thread. If this needs to be moved PLEASE do so.
If you love something set it free. If it dont come back then hunt it down and kill it.
Never ever under estimate the power of large groups of stupid people.
It is not kiills that get you paid, it is damage that gets you paid.
Swede Vejtasa, Pappy Boyington, Robert Johnson, and MANY other WWII flyers. You are my heros. Thank you.

SoberCheese #56 Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
nice guide very helpful for a new guy to the game like me. +1

Herr_Oberst_Nu #57 Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:18 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 243 battles

View PostCirran, on 29 June 2012 - 03:00 AM, said:

Warning Newbie post and opinion wall of text follows.
I do want feedback and suggestions so please feel free to provide them in a manner that a new guy would understand and appriciate. Thank you.
The following is my opinion which is no better or worse than anyone elses.
OP thank you for the post. It served me well. Much better then the tutorial in game did.

Greetings and salutations! I am a  brand new beta tester. I got my beta key yesterday. I down loaded the game and read some of the "welcome to beta" threads. After the game finished downloading. I started the laucher and jumped into the game. I took a look at the planes in my hanger. First impression I was like WOW!!! Simply gorgeous! I did the tutorial  and found the tutuorial simple, and direct. In hind sight I think the tutuorial should be a bit more indepth. I mean after showing the mouse movement controls then the really simple fly through rings in what amounts to a straight line with minor altitude changes. I think maybe add some more rings but have them set up where you actually have to manuever the aircraft more then just minor course corrections. Maybe set up off to the pilots left and right and at different altitudes. Anyways, I finished the tutorial and thought wow that was short. I then decided to try my hand at solo flying against bots. I did not want to fly against real people due to the fact I figured all that would do was padd someones stats and I would learn much of nothing from the encounter. I started the fight.... My first thought when the map loaded was WOW!!! beautiful scenery and my what a big map. Sadly, that went away after about 6 seconds... My airplane turned into a mad bucking bronco that was intent on getting me the heck out of it's cockpit. The controls are simply unintuitive, and unresponsive. When they do respond they become snappy and brittle which leads to over correction and the whole cycle start again and it repeats over and over and over ect...... I stopped trying to kill the bots since it was obvious that I was more of a threat to my wingman, the environment, and myself than the bots. I decided to see what I could get the plane to do. Flying a straight line is pretty good.... as long as you dont want to maintain any kind of altitude control. Drifting up and down making corrections the entire time was the best I could get. I did manage to pull off a loop but I could not do it consistantly. I got barrel rolls down pretty well tho. This went on for the entire 4 to 5 hours I put into the game yesterday. I only played in solo bot matches. I think I shot down the bot 3 times total, got ran into by one bot, he died and I got to see how your plane handles with only 25 pts of health left. I tried the keyboard, mouse controls and the keyboard only controls. I found all of them to be brutally unforgiving. I ended my flying sessions when I found that you go inverted it is easy to get confused on which way is up and which way is down. The ground and I met in a very intimate and unpleasent manner.  I went back to the forums and saw that I was not the only one struggling with the controls. I also noticed that the WoWP forum community is much like the WoT forum community. If your opinion does not match what the forum folks are. They will 1. look at your stats and if they suck tear you apart. 2. defend the flying controls and make fun of you for not wanting them to be more realistic and harder to learn.  In a break between the bots laughing at me and trolling me by mooning me when they flew by. I stated in the chat box I was new and the bots were kicking my butt. I got one reply. It gets better.... LOL, I figured that was the case but you know....
  I understand I know little to nothing about this game. This wall of letters is just my first off the cuff impression of the game. I am horrible at WoT and even worse at WoWP.  I do think that despite that I have a valid point of view. Also, the controls seem like they are a horrible middle of the road approach to flight. I think WoWP needs to decide if it is going to be a flight sim or a arcade flight game. The controls are a half breed of each.
I am NOT in anyway trying to flame the game or anyone person. I think that if a person with little to no expierence with real flight or flight sims. Tries the game with the controls as they stand I think most will grow frustrated and quit. Especially if they forgo solo flight and just jump into a battle. I think that a control scheme that is easy and intuitve is a must. The masses of horrible gamers like myself need ease of play like WoT was when it went live. Yes I know planes are not tanks and this is Closed Beta. I know the game will change and with it I hope the controls will get significantly better.

Thank you for allowing me to voice my opinion. Please if you have any suggestions or ideas just let me know.

Cirran DeCours
One sad Chien

P.S. I looked for a place to put this wall of text and only found the official feedback thread. It seem to have stringent rules for posting so I did not want to clutter up that thread. If this needs to be moved PLEASE do so.

If you ever see me in game, just call out and i'll do some training sessions with you. I'll run you through the basics of flying and gunnery.. we'll make those bots pay :). But seriously, if you see me in game, just give me a shout and i'll be there to help you out.

spittoon #58 Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:24 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
Nu, you are such a gentleman...

i got about a third of the way through that, and noticed that my eyeballs were beginning to melt... so, i gave up!

honoring all those who fought, and especially all those who fell

LightningStriker911 #59 Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

Feedback Airedale

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
tnx for the guide :Smile_great:  but whoo, so many to learn :Smile_trollface:

Member of FRAG

LightningStriker911 #60 Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

Feedback Airedale

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
lol i had a problem on my first flight too, i thought WASD and a mouse is the only thing you use in Wowp

Member of FRAG

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users