I have found the "perfect" flightstick...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

StockerXray #21 Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:58 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Google, 'HORI joystick pc'
I think you want the PS3 version to work on the PC.
That said, if you want a Perfect stick for WoWP and are will to go used, Find a Saiteck ST290.  That's what I use and it's Purrrfect.
http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B0000AW9RE

Edited by StockerXray, 30 August 2013 - 07:00 PM.

Noreaga #22 Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:13 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
i still you my X45 which i think is better than the X52 and about even to the HOTAS for the price!
you can find them for 40$ on amazon
http://www.amazon.co...-1&keywords=x45
Noreaga

Edited by noreaga, 30 August 2013 - 07:14 PM.

Nimis obnoxii curare

BlueSol #23 Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:31 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostPanzerXO, on 29 August 2013 - 02:43 PM, said:

What they need to do is fix the flight controls for joystick.

Currently mouse users get the benefit of an auto-pilot aim.  Joystick users get to have fun flying; but when it comes time to shoot down a plane in anything other than level flight... oversteer, oversteer, oversteer.

I had this problem until I found a good joystick.xml file to use.  It's on this same forum, poster said it's commonly used on the EU and RU servers.  It's a custom plotting for pitch and roll, and in general just reduces sensitivity, but helped a ton for me.  Also, the recent "bug fix" to remove the increased roll sensitivity in 5.2 made fine aiming much better.  I still bounce around a bit more with joystick than mouse users when shooting a stationary targets, but it's not too bad now.

Blue

UraniumOverdose #24 Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:09 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 94 battles

View PostIndygoEEI, on 30 August 2013 - 06:35 PM, said:

Have you ever tried to use it on a PC?  How hard was it to setup and what software would
need?  I'm really hoping to get answer to this...

Yes I am using it now, I downloaded the xbox 360 controller drivers and they work with the Ace Edge just fine. The game detected my joystick and throttle quadrant. I had to do some tweaking on the buttons and I changed the throttle to only go to 100% instead of boosting. I just use a button for boost, makes it easier. I didn't have to add any dead zone because the edge has dead zone built in.

Cut my life into pizzas, this is my plastic fork.

IndygoEEI #25 Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:34 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 434 battles

View PostStockerXray, on 30 August 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

Google, 'HORI joystick pc'
I think you want the PS3 version to work on the PC.
That said, if you want a Perfect stick for WoWP and are will to go used, Find a Saiteck ST290.  That's what I use and it's Purrrfect.
http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B0000AW9RE

BLEGH!  It looks like an ergonomic nightmare!

View Postnoreaga, on 30 August 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

i still you my X45 which i think is better than the X52 and about even to the HOTAS for the price!
you can find them for 40$ on amazon
http://www.amazon.co...-1&keywords=x45
Noreaga

I actually looked at and thought about it.  The Hori Hotas popped up recently so it
probably would have been my first choice.

View PostUraniumOverdose, on 30 August 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

Yes I am using it now, I downloaded the xbox 360 controller drivers and they work with the Ace Edge just fine. The game detected my joystick and throttle quadrant. I had to do some tweaking on the buttons and I changed the throttle to only go to 100% instead of boosting. I just use a button for boost, makes it easier. I didn't have to add any dead zone because the edge has dead zone built in.

Cool!  I even looked up the Ace Edge and it looks like Saitek X45 even though Hori
produces it.  Thought it was an adapter lol.  Hmm...

Well thanks guys!  I think a call and a visit to Gamestop will be in order and I have no
doubt I'll get a Hori soon.  Maybe I'll get an AE or X52 to hold me over till November.
Hopefully a used AE so I can figure out what I'm doing...

UraniumOverdose #26 Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:58 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 94 battles

View PostIndygoEEI, on 30 August 2013 - 09:34 PM, said:

Cool!  I even looked up the Ace Edge and it looks like Saitek X45 even though Hori
produces it.  Thought it was an adapter lol.  Hmm...

Well thanks guys!  I think a call and a visit to Gamestop will be in order and I have no
doubt I'll get a Hori soon.  Maybe I'll get an AE or X52 to hold me over till November.
Hopefully a used AE so I can figure out what I'm doing...

I honestly doubt you'll find an ace edge at gamestop, Ace Combat 6 came out like 6 years ago or something. I did find a used bundle on amazon for 70 dollars, it may still be there,  that's a steal considering used it usually goes for over a hundred, and new it goes for 400 dollars. If you have a 360, Ace Combat is a fun single player game to boot when you aren't playing WOWP. One word of caution, using the rudder is a chore because it's on the front end of the throttle stick, and unless you have tiny hands it's somewhat annoying to use, You might have to switch buttons for it. Other than that, I highly recommend it, best joystick I have ever had.

IndygoEEI #27 Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:47 PM

• Alpha tester
  • 434 battles

View PostUraniumOverdose, on 30 August 2013 - 11:58 PM, said:

I honestly doubt you'll find an ace edge at gamestop, Ace Combat 6 came out like 6 years ago or something. I did find a used bundle on amazon for 70 dollars, it may still be there,  that's a steal considering used it usually goes for over a hundred, and new it goes for 400 dollars. If you have a 360, Ace Combat is a fun single player game to boot when you aren't playing WOWP. One word of caution, using the rudder is a chore because it's on the front end of the throttle stick, and unless you have tiny hands it's somewhat annoying to use, You might have to switch buttons for it. Other than that, I highly recommend it, best joystick I have ever had.

Thank you for letting me know.  I'll take it under advisement.

Killerpopcorn #28 Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:46 AM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 358 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postzen1360, on 30 August 2013 - 05:55 AM, said:

This is the "I'm broke" version. The two instruments come apart and can be placed as mush as 2 feet apart. I have one and for the price, it's a great stick.

http://www.amazon.co...ighter joystick
lol those are to close together for me. Ill stick with a Log3dpro

Air Raid #1: 4th place/Air Raid #2 3rd Place/Air Raid #4 2nd Place/Air Raid #5 9th place

Crossover #1 1st Place/ Launch Event 1st place

Borto #29 Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:20 AM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles
I believe I'm missing something here or maybe, somehow, I've done something wrong in settings? I have a Thrustmaster HOTAS setup with rudder pedals which I've had for quite a few years. I got it to use playing flight sim games, FSX in particular where it is just amazingly as realistic as I think you can get with a game.

I've tried to set it up to work with this game but the only thing that does anything at all is the flight stick.
The yaw pedals I have gotten to work, but throttle...it's just...well it doesn't respond. I know my gear works, I still play FSX and other flight sims with it and it works perfectly. But using the throttle in this game just doesn't seem to do anything at all, nor does the key command available for throttle up or down. I understand it could be my installation or something, if that's the case I'd appreciate some input on how to get them to work.

So unless someone can suggest something I might be doing wrong or something I can do to get them to work I would say don't waste your money on a HOTAS setup for this game. Not all of it works, and none of it seems to be any advantage since this game doesn't seem to truly be a simulation but more of an arcade, for fun, game. Which is fine...it's a great game! Just sharing my experience that throttle controls and some other "fancy expensive" flight sim controllers don't seem to even work very well much less give an advantage for World of Warplanes.

I also have an ST290 and old school Sidewinder joystick and a pc version of a PS3 gamepad. Niether of the joystick and/or HOTAS throttle controls seem to work with this game for me. And the gamepad...I'm just not a gamepad gamer. I've PC'd all my games with mostly just mouse and keyboard for a long time now, 15 years or more.

I've tried:

Mouse/Keyboard: Aerobatics which are definetily needed in dogfight combat are very limited.

Keyboard: To awkward. For me at least.

Gamepad: Works, and maybe some people might like this controller best. Preferrence? Maybe.
Requires button setup inside the game settings options.
Not all buttons do something by default, at least on the gamepad I have they didn't and I'm also not able to assign all of the keys to something, for example the only option for "fire" the game seems to allow me to take is with one of the Axis joysticks. It doesn't seem to allow me to assign Fire to a button.
When I plug my gamepad in it comes up in windows as a "PS3 gamepad", I guess because it's VERY similar to a PS3 controller. This issue might just be my gamepad, I've had other issues like this with other games with the gamepad I have. Some games don't recognize it at all. If you're a gamepad gamer...try your gamepad. It might work out better for you. It's worth a shot if that's what you're used to.

ST290 Joystick: Everything but throttle controls work, plug it in and go. You'll have to use keyboard commands for throttle and "boost" features of this game though. Neither my ST9, Sidewinder, or HOTAS throttle controls have done anything at all for me in this game. Big bummer for a flight sim fan. As I said...maybe I did something wrong in settings or maybe there's a way to "hack" files (which I haven't tried yet) to get throttle controls working.

Sidewinder: Works, again except throttle controls, plug it in and go.

HOTAS: There's so many buttons on this kind of setup. Maybe someone has but again I haven't been able to get throttle controls to work at all for this game, rudder (yaw) controls are buggy they don't respond as they do in flight sim games but they do work. Radio and navigation controls...well I won't even mention them because World of Warplanes doesn't offer these kinds of features like a flight sim game (FSX) does. WOWPs isn't a flght sim ....? Fair enough.

If you're a flight sim gamer like I am I have also found that the physics in this game, the planes, don't react the way a flight sim gamer might expect them to. Since we don't have much control of the throttle or fuel/air mixture or Flap extention levels you can't really do aerobatics that would REALLY make you one of the best dogfight pilots there is. I would love to be able to stall the engine in a lot of situations - perform a stall dive or cut the engine and float to "milk shake" an opponent and turn the tables from being a dead duck to having them in my crosshairs which is just not possible in this game.
Hey...it's a game...can't have everything. I can dream if I want. :)

Hopefully all of this helps someone or I get replies that help me get my throttles working, or it helps developers give us more controller options if it is true that I've found some bugs, or devs/admins will reply with info that helps us all configure our joysticks and gamepads if I'm not the only one having these issues.  OR they add some features that bring more realism into the game - like allowing us to have better control over the throttle, and stall it if we'd want to.
Yes, I can hear my co-pilot screaming for his life "What the % * are you doing?! Are you crazy?!?! Stalled it?!?! OMG we're DEAD!! you %U'ng lunatic!!! That was the stupidest thing I've ever....-oh! Great move! That was awesome!"

I'm not knocking the game, just sharing what I've found and my own opinion and perspective. World of Warplanes is an absolutely awesome and very fun arcade dogfighting game! Love it!

andyraptor #30 Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:14 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [W-UNI] W-UNI
old fashioned G9 mouse and G15 keyboard and your good to go
now I've learnt to use the brakes it's far better at getting a good fire position on speed jocks
in the end you want to be able to go from planes to tanks to ships without tons of trash on your DT.... + support for $500 set-ups.... not even high on the list of WG "to do's" for the Eastern European market... think bigger guys
:tongue:

Bandet #31 Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:01 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Posted Image

GET ON MY LEVEL.

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.

elasar #32 Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:45 PM

Master Sergeant

• 1460 battles
  • [JG52] JG52
Amason does have a thrusmaster hotas x for 49.00 looks nice

VFA22Bonefish #33 Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:17 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

View PostvonKrimm, on 29 August 2013 - 04:17 AM, said:

The Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS is way too much over-kill for this game.....I should know, as I have one that i don't use for this game.

My buddy wants to get one for this game, and I keep telling him the same thing..  Problem is he doesn't want the rudder to be twist on the stick as he accidentally adds yaw when turning that he does not want.  I personally fly with a Logitech 3D, and figure it's $20 and does the job.  Years ago when I was flying hard core flight sims, it would be a different story, but not an arcade 3rd person shooter.

Alo8ight #34 Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:15 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

View PostVFA22Bonefish, on 15 October 2013 - 11:17 PM, said:

My buddy wants to get one for this game, and I keep telling him the same thing..  Problem is he doesn't want the rudder to be twist on the stick as he accidentally adds yaw when turning that he does not want.  I personally fly with a Logitech 3D, and figure it's $20 and does the job.  Years ago when I was flying hard core flight sims, it would be a different story, but not an arcade 3rd person shooter.

Back when I first started playing WoWP, I remember using my Logitech 3D Pro joystick. Playing with the flight stick wasn't bad, it's just that I was never an expert with most flight sims. Nowadays, I prefer using key board and mouse as my main weapon of choice! :izmena:

IndygoEEI #35 Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:57 PM

• Alpha tester
  • 434 battles

View PostAlo8ight, on 16 October 2013 - 01:15 AM, said:

Back when I first started playing WoWP, I remember using my Logitech 3D Pro joystick. Playing with the flight stick wasn't bad, it's just that I was never an expert with most flight sims. Nowadays, I prefer using key board and mouse as my main weapon of choice! :izmena:

Most hardcore sim players will want flightstick for good reason.  It let's you "feel" the plane.
The logitech is more then adequate for a beginner stick, but the spring that keeps it
centered will wear out after a year of heavy play (there's a simple way to "fix" it...).   I plan
on getting a HOTAS this XMAS.

I see the appeal of mouse and keyboard well...  Aiming is simpler, but you don't have all
the aerobatic control.  In fact, I prefer it for skywhales.  Can you ask your higher ups to
implement the ability to save multiple control profiles.  I don't like when it resets when it
switches from joystick to mouse to joystick.

Alo8ight #36 Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:12 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

View PostIndygoEEI, on 17 October 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

Most hardcore sim players will want flightstick for good reason.  It let's you "feel" the plane.
The logitech is more then adequate for a beginner stick, but the spring that keeps it
centered will wear out after a year of heavy play (there's a simple way to "fix" it...).   I plan
on getting a HOTAS this XMAS.
I see the appeal of mouse and keyboard well...  Aiming is simpler, but you don't have all
the aerobatic control.  In fact, I prefer it for skywhales.  Can you ask your higher ups to
implement the ability to save multiple control profiles.  I don't like when it resets when it
switches from joystick to mouse to joystick.
Thank you for the feedback!
We'll make sure we pass along your ideas to the appropriate department for further review.
Happy flying and I look forward to seeing you on the skies!

Edited by Alo8ight, 17 October 2013 - 04:12 PM.
text change

ChikTikka #37 Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:14 PM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles
  • [PIGS_] PIGS_

View PostUraniumOverdose, on 30 August 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

Have you ever tried to use it on a PC? How hard was it to setup and what software would
need? I'm really hoping to get answer to this...

how did you get Warplanes to separate your Ace-Edge throttle and rudder buttons?? it keeps seeing them as the same axis for me and i can't seem to find a fix, been fighting with this on and off for several months, if i had the money I'd just buy a PC flight stick but i don't

UraniumOverdose #38 Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:39 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 94 battles

View PostChikTikka, on 20 December 2013 - 01:14 PM, said:

how did you get Warplanes to separate your Ace-Edge throttle and rudder buttons?? it keeps seeing them as the same axis for me and i can't seem to find a fix, been fighting with this on and off for several months, if i had the money I'd just buy a PC flight stick but i don't

Not sure why you are having trouble, it automatically did it for me. Make sure you have the latest xbox controller drivers, that might help.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users