(Tier IV) IL-17

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

EasyEight #1 Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:36 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
SO far I really like this plane, the Polikarpov IL-17.

Pros:
  • It's extremely maneuverable, usually being more of a turning dogfighter than almost any plane you'll encounter at the same tier
  • Has decent fire power, x4 MGs and a 20mm hub mounted cannon can dish out respectable damage
  • Fast climber
  • The Tiering system usually places it in the middle of the pack in most maps, where it can do well
Cons
  • Very light structure, not many hit points makes it fragile -- don't ever go head to head!
  • Engine is rather weak which limits top speed and boost ability
  • A bit "floaty" feeling sometimes like all the new Russian fighters means coming out of a climb can be less than elegant
Over all, this plane is a good dogfighter and fun to fly. What say you?

An_Average_Jho #2 Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:19 AM

Helvetic Polyglot

• Alpha tester
  • 57 battles
  • [WWPD] WWPD
It's I-17 :3

My only problem with the plane is that, much like both I-16s, it feels very twitchy. The A6M5 and A6M1 outturn it, but they feel much more controllable.

Everything tastes better if it tries to eat you before you eat it

I named my airplane Iosef because it kept on Stalin

"Quod natura non dat, Salmantica non præstat"

NathanFlightLeader #3 Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:57 AM

Flying Kiwi

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
I love this plane! Its by far my best fighter and the only one I can get more than 1 kill in!
"It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed."
"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" And "Oh S...!"
"Airspeed, altitude and brains. Two are always needed to successfully complete the flight."
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous.

Bad_Lag #4 Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:20 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 86 battles
  • [SICK] SICK
I have to agree with Nathan, this is currently my new OP fighter, expect a nerf before release....Edit: The I-17 has a faster roll rate than either A6s, I havent had a problem keeping them in my gunsights or shaking one off

Heh #5 Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:35 AM

Sky Whale Historian

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Remember that IL = Ilyushin and I = Polikarpov.
Heh - aeromarine biologist

View Posthahiha, on , said:

OMG Heh you have had so many posts O_O

WulfNose #6 Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:11 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Community Ace
  • 570 battles
18 games, 61%. A bit twitchy under the unfortunate new flight model, but you can adjust the joystick settings. I like the plane, managed to Ace it, and researched both successor planes so the pilot is training up fast. Guns have to be on target forever since the unfortunate new gun model. Plane sounds like our food processor, with the food processor being perhaps a little more aggressive sounding, under the unfortunate new sound model. Once all the damage from this patch is fixed, this will be a good plane in Go Live. Wulf
Added: Better after 0.5.2. W

Edited by WulfNose, 31 August 2013 - 08:09 PM.

pyantoryng #7 Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:15 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2150 battles

View PostHeh, on 24 August 2013 - 11:35 AM, said:

Remember that IL = Ilyushin and I = Polikarpov.

I actually stand for "Fighter" in Russian...not exactly standing for Polikarpov.

On the topic, I use mine with the cannon, and I find that firing just the ShKAS before going linked fire works great. This thing rocks, especially in El Halluf and Harbor. As a note, if I want to use something with 4x ShKAS, I would be playing I-15DM-2...that's why I opt for the cannon on the I-17.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Heh #8 Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:34 PM

Sky Whale Historian

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 24 August 2013 - 06:15 PM, said:

I actually stand for "Fighter" in Russian...not exactly standing for Polikarpov.

A lot of Polikarpov planes are labeled with I though. Most fighters will have part of the company's name in there. For example, Yakovlev's planes are Yaks, Lavochkin's planes are Las.

BrushWolf #9 Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:17 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 80 battles
  • [GWG] GWG
I have some issues with the I-17 as far as the game goes. If you are unlucky enough to be in a P36 or an F4F you are in deep trouble as the I-17 outclasses or equals both planes in almost every aspect with only dive speed in favor of the Americans. You cannot turn with it, you cannot go vertical and since most fights are already on the deck you cannot use your one advantage as you have no altitude to trade for distance. The only thing you can do is stay far away and only attack if the I-17 is already envolved with a couple of friendlies. I can fight the I-16's but I am at a loss on how to deal with the I-17's.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

EasyEight #10 Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:24 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles

The only thing you can do is stay far away and only attack if the I-17 is already envolved with a couple of friendlies. I can fight the I-16's but I am at a loss on how to deal with the I-17's.

You're almost there -- extend, that is, dive away from the I-17 to gain distance, turn and re-engage. The I-17 is very fragile and can't stand up to hits very well. SO as an I-17 pilot your goal should be to KEEP your targets engaged in a turning dogfight. If they break away, get ready to dodge!!

BrushWolf #11 Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:53 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 80 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View PostEasyEight, on 29 August 2013 - 11:24 PM, said:

You're almost there -- extend, that is, dive away from the I-17 to gain distance, turn and re-engage. The I-17 is very fragile and can't stand up to hits very well. SO as an I-17 pilot your goal should be to KEEP your targets engaged in a turning dogfight. If they break away, get ready to dodge!!

I was in my P36 and I did a boom and zoom attack on an I-17 that was tearing up a friendly. Unfortunately for me the I-17 actually turned in what is supposed to be the wrong direction and he pulled up on my tail as I climbed away. The friendly I helped was not up to making it uncomfortable for him to stay on me. :sad:  I have had better luck against them in my F2A which has the 20mm cannons and can tear an I-17 up in one burst. Planes with only MG's just don't have the same punch.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

mizer67 #12 Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:46 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostBrushWolf, on 29 August 2013 - 11:17 PM, said:

I have some issues with the I-17 as far as the game goes. If you are unlucky enough to be in a P36 or an F4F you are in deep trouble as the I-17 outclasses or equals both planes in almost every aspect with only dive speed in favor of the Americans. You cannot turn with it, you cannot go vertical and since most fights are already on the deck you cannot use your one advantage as you have no altitude to trade for distance. The only thing you can do is stay far away and only attack if the I-17 is already envolved with a couple of friendlies. I can fight the I-16's but I am at a loss on how to deal with the I-17's.

An F4F, even in its nerfed state, will tear up an I-17. Dive a little to gain some energy and distance, zoom climb and boost while throwing in some rudder. Post patch, his guns will overheat before doing any real damage shooting up. Wait for him to stall trying to catch you and he's a goner. If he doesn't follow, get 5000 ft. of separation and set up for a BnZ pass.

Heh #13 Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:19 PM

Sky Whale Historian

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostBrushWolf, on 29 August 2013 - 11:17 PM, said:

I-17s are a joke to face in an F4F. Stop getting so close and use your superior vertical energy retention and firepower to knock it down.

Rimrender #14 Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:34 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

In the current environment with heavies, and shot dispersion issues while climbing, this plane is pointless.

Heavies can start firing at you from above your ceiling and kill you in one burst. Most of my games in this plane have ended in this way. It doesn't matter if I am engaged in a turn fight with another plane or flying straight. You cannot touch them until they swoop down to your level, but they never have to because their cannons can kill you before they even get that low, then they just go back up and look for another T&B to kill.

I may not have ever flown a plane, but I sure have jumped out of a lot of them.

Stand up, hook up, shuffle to the door.....

cschoet #15 Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:49 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

I completely agree.  I feel like I sit 1000+ ft. below all the action at all times, just waiting for the "sickly gazelle" to come down to my level before I get BnZed.

The ceiling in the plane makes it very frustrating when you are anything but the top tier in the MM, and even when you are top tier it's average at best.

Here is to hoping the Yak line is worth this grind.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users