Yakovlev Yak

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
77 replies to this topic

CrashTailspin #21 Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:19 AM

Squadron Lead / Wargaming Stunt Pilot

• Senior Alpha Test Veteran
  • 511 battles

View Postshwedor, on 24 August 2013 - 09:33 PM, said:

The Yak's are very team dependent on winning, if your team is horribad and dies don't expect to be able to come back and kill them all with a Yak. Unlike a Heavy Fighter or carrier plane which can abuse its incredible climb rate and firepower to go hunt down enemy planes over their AA, the Yak's get slaughtered by AA due to their extremely low HP and poor armament. All an enemy has to do is achieve supremacy, and then run and hide under AA. The Yak's have less HP than even the Japanese fighters and less firepower at high tiers.

What shwedor says is absolutely correct.  The lack of firepower in the Yak-1, combined with low HP and top speed, makes this primarily a wolfpack-only fighter.  Add to this the nerf to weapon accuracy (in the form of increased bullet spread and dispersion adjustment), and the Yak-1 is relegated to group fighting only.

The Yak-7, while not as maneuverable as the Yak-1, is maneuverable enough to place 37mm rounds on target with enough consistency to affect the outcome of a match.  However, it is not the one-plane game-changer that an effective Heavy Fighter or Carrier-Based Fighter can be.  Weak fuselage combined with a quick-to-overheat cannon makes this a close-in dogfighter only, and not a multi-role type of aircraft, such as a Bf.110E or F4F.

When confronted with a come-from-behind win scenario in a Yak, it's imperative that you:
  • Get away from the enemy AA (this should be done anyway, but it's especially important in a Yak due to its low HP)
  • Avoid head-on attacks (the 37mm makes it tempting.  Forget it, for the same reason as above)
  • Get on the enemy's tail, and get close (the accuracy nerfs negate effective sniping)
When flown in a cohesive group, Yaks can be deadly, provided one can always maintain a firing angle on the enemy.  Of course, that's determined more by player skill rather than aircraft ability.

You must not question "The Forum Laws".  Any questioning of "The Forum Laws" results in automatic removal and / or locking of any post, regardless of the level of constructiveness or thought provocation.

IllustriousCheeseburger #22 Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [PTATO] PTATO

View PostCrashTailspin, on 25 August 2013 - 12:19 AM, said:

What shwedor says is absolutely correct.  The lack of firepower in the Yak-1, combined with low HP and top speed, makes this primarily a wolfpack-only fighter.  Add to this the nerf to weapon accuracy (in the form of increased bullet spread and dispersion adjustment), and the Yak-1 is relegated to group fighting only.

The Yak-7, while not as maneuverable as the Yak-1, is maneuverable enough to place 37mm rounds on target with enough consistency to affect the outcome of a match.  However, it is not the one-plane game-changer that an effective Heavy Fighter or Carrier-Based Fighter can be.  Weak fuselage combined with a quick-to-overheat cannon makes this a close-in dogfighter only, and not a multi-role type of aircraft, such as a Bf.110E or F4F.

When confronted with a come-from-behind win scenario in a Yak, it's imperative that you:
  • Get away from the enemy AA (this should be done anyway, but it's especially important in a Yak due to its low HP)
  • Avoid head-on attacks (the 37mm makes it tempting.  Forget it, for the same reason as above)
  • Get on the enemy's tail, and get close (the accuracy nerfs negate effective sniping)
When flown in a cohesive group, Yaks can be deadly, provided one can always maintain a firing angle on the enemy.  Of course, that's determined more by player skill rather than aircraft ability.

I have to disagree with you a bit there. I fly solo most of the time, and I've found the Yak-7 to be absolutely lethal in almost any situation if flown well. And regarding the accuracy nerfs, I've noticed that the spread is honestly negligible in a dive, even a relatively shallow one. You can snipe very well at extreme range with it. It might take a few shots, but it doesn't take many hits to kill, or cripple the target. I've also found the same to be true with the Yak-9, especially with the 45mm equipped. The thing is nimble enough to outmaneuver the majority of tier 6 and tier 5 aircraft. I mean, it might be best off, and safest to use in a wolfpack, but if the pilot is good enough, they can definitely take on multiple targets at once. All it tends to take is maybe one or two, maybe three good hits from the megaderp on the Yak-9 to kill anybody you get in your sights.
"Don't worry about me when you see me on the enemy roster. I'm completely harmless."

Heh #23 Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

Sky Whale Historian

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostIllustriousCheeseburger, on 25 August 2013 - 08:30 AM, said:

I have to disagree with you a bit there. I fly solo most of the time, and I've found the Yak-7 to be absolutely lethal in almost any situation if flown well. And regarding the accuracy nerfs, I've noticed that the spread is honestly negligible in a dive, even a relatively shallow one. You can snipe very well at extreme range with it. It might take a few shots, but it doesn't take many hits to kill, or cripple the target. I've also found the same to be true with the Yak-9, especially with the 45mm equipped. The thing is nimble enough to outmaneuver the majority of tier 6 and tier 5 aircraft. I mean, it might be best off, and safest to use in a wolfpack, but if the pilot is good enough, they can definitely take on multiple targets at once. All it tends to take is maybe one or two, maybe three good hits from the megaderp on the Yak-9 to kill anybody you get in your sights.

The fact that the accuracy is only good in a dive really hurts the Yak-1.
Heh - aeromarine biologist

View Posthahiha, on , said:

OMG Heh you have had so many posts O_O

shwedor #24 Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:10 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles

View PostIllustriousCheeseburger, on 25 August 2013 - 08:30 AM, said:

Until somebody goes vertical, at which point the Yak is dead because they climb horribly until tier 8.
Not a poser P51A troll but around 145+ games, 90% win rate, too many to count kills.
Overall: 2300+ games, 85% win rate, 5.3k+ air kills
Potato Team Member - (1st place in all Air Raids and North American tournaments)

http://forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/topic/4478-wargaming-na-for-wowp-completely-incompetent/#entry79586

pyantoryng #25 Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:52 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2148 battles
The Yak-1M is light on the control and its weaponry are easy to use, even if it has to get into close combat for it to be any effective,

Though, it seems like people play right into the Yak-1M's strength in Pacific...even a sucky turnfighter like me can survive in a tarnado for a while in it despite its lack of bulk.

BTW the SHA-20 cannon actually lightens the Yak-1M up a bit, much like how the B-20 works on the La-5...a win-win upgrading situation.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

OnboardG1 #26 Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:12 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 9 battles

View Postshwedor, on 25 August 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

Until somebody goes vertical, at which point the Yak is dead because they climb horribly until tier 8.
Are they able to break, extend and remerge adequately if someone does that?

Droppin_Steel #27 Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:36 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [THM-F] THM-F
Sorry but any improvements to the yak 9s climb rate would just make it OP.  It already has the FP and maneuvering.  gotta keep balance somehow.

shwedor #28 Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:09 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles

View PostDroppin_Steel, on 05 September 2013 - 12:36 AM, said:

Sorry but any improvements to the yak 9s climb rate would just make it OP.  It already has the FP and maneuvering.  gotta keep balance somehow.

The firepower of the Yak's past tier 5 is actually quite underwhelming, sustained fire is a no-go. In addition the Yak's have far worse HP than any other planes, even worse than the Japanese paper planes.

Right now, the climbing is just downright pitiful on the Yak line. Even an Sh-Tandem can climb better than the Yak-7, its sad....Yak's are great up until somebody decides to shoot at them. They need at least 20 seconds of boost in my opinion, right now their energy retention is nonexistent.
Not a poser P51A troll but around 145+ games, 90% win rate, too many to count kills.
Overall: 2300+ games, 85% win rate, 5.3k+ air kills
Potato Team Member - (1st place in all Air Raids and North American tournaments)

http://forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/topic/4478-wargaming-na-for-wowp-completely-incompetent/#entry79586

Heh #29 Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:31 AM

Sky Whale Historian

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View Postshwedor, on 05 September 2013 - 02:09 AM, said:

The firepower of the Yak's past tier 5 is actually quite underwhelming, sustained fire is a no-go. In addition the Yak's have far worse HP than any other planes, even worse than the Japanese paper planes.
Right now, the climbing is just downright pitiful on the Yak line. Even an Sh-Tandem can climb better than the Yak-7, its sad....Yak's are great up until somebody decides to shoot at them. They need at least 20 seconds of boost in my opinion, right now their energy retention is nonexistent.
Yaks were decent climbers IRL, just not good zoomclimbers.

pyantoryng #30 Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:33 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2148 battles
Yak-9 has only *1* 50cal, its only chance is to land shots with its big gun...while the Yak-1M does get an extra 50cal, it's still basically your good 'ol Yak-1, with your main form of attack (cannon) at its weakest, with only a slight upgrade.
Compared to 3 cannons for La-5, 3 cannons/2MG for 109F (which is worth the loss of maneuverability), 4 cannons or 6x 50cal for F4U, 4x high power 50cal for P-51A, and 2 50cal/2cannons or 4 cannons for the A7M...it's simply underwhelming, for both Yaks.
...at least both Yaks perform well at low altitude...but La-5 and 109F can do the same. IMO, the Yak-1M is a bit more pleasant to fly than the A7M due to the relatively high muzzle velocity and RoF (the A7M is just atrocious at this with 4 cannons) not to mention the low altitude performance, where the A7M will go red below 200 or so while the Yak can stay green as low as 200 meters and only yellow below that range. I just give up the heavy Yak because I can't land a shot for my life.
The sure advantage of the Yak line is that you get to jet tier one tier earlier...I expect something good from the Yak-3, though, seeing that it uses synchronized B-20 that can be obtained via the La-5 and all...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

rocketbrainsurgeon #31 Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5 battles
I think the Yak line feels about right, even if it's not amazingly good.  

The mid-tier up-gunned Yak's can't climb and have a low operating speed, but anything that comes within their sphere of influence will certainly feel the doom cannon.  Carrying a team as the last hope is certainly impossible, as you can't shake anyone behind you.  Your climb is too awful to challenge a BnZ, and your turn rate is worse than a TnB.  So 1on1, the planes aren't great.  However, this isn't 1v1 most of the time.  My gripe with them is fighting as bottom tier: as the maps get bigger, you are stuck in a corner and unable to help far away teammates in time.

JDMFreakz #32 Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 106 battles
if i have a choice of 20mm, i'd choose SHvAK over B-20, why? more DPH and way less overheating

i use SHvAK on my La-5 too btw

Heh #33 Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:44 PM

Sky Whale Historian

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostJDMFreakz, on 06 September 2013 - 05:32 PM, said:

A waste, since the 3 guns are much better in damage.

pyantoryng #34 Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:07 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2148 battles

View PostJDMFreakz, on 06 September 2013 - 05:32 PM, said:

if i have a choice of 20mm, i'd choose SHvAK over B-20, why? more DPH and way less overheating

3 holes but only 2 guns? No thanks. With 3 guns I stand better chance to hit, and when they do hit square on, they hit more, and their overheat rate is still reasonable for a fighter cannon.

The B-20 also lighten up the plane slightly...and it's the only way outta the 50cal for the advanced Yak.

pyantoryng #35 Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:26 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2148 battles
Yak-3 is EXTREMELY bad in vertical, even moreso than all its predecessors, with B-20 and second engine.

JDMFreakz #36 Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:06 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 106 battles

View PostHeh, on 06 September 2013 - 05:44 PM, said:

A waste, since the 3 guns are much better in damage.

cant deal with the overheat reducing time..

View Postpyantoryng, on 22 September 2013 - 08:26 AM, said:

Yak-3 is EXTREMELY bad in vertical, even moreso than all its predecessors, with B-20 and second engine.

which hub cannon do you use? i use M-106sk, 2x B20, 1x vya23 for Yak-9 and still doing (kinda) fine.. Yak-3 should do better imo..

pyantoryng #37 Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2148 battles

View PostJDMFreakz, on 22 September 2013 - 11:06 AM, said:

which hub cannon do you use? i use M-106sk, 2x B20, 1x vya23 for Yak-9 and still doing (kinda) fine.. Yak-3 should do better imo..

Stock ShVAK. The NS-23 requires its own research.

But Yak-1M seem to do better in vertical, really.

BTW, Yak-3 can't use optics too.

JDMFreakz #38 Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 106 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 22 September 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

Stock ShVAK. The NS-23 requires its own research.

But Yak-1M seem to do better in vertical, really.

im wondering whats wrong here.. my Yak-9 with heavier equipment and same engine climbs better..

BTW, Yak-3 can't use optics too.

same with Yak-9..

pyantoryng #39 Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2148 battles

View PostJDMFreakz, on 22 September 2013 - 12:12 PM, said:

im wondering whats wrong here.. my Yak-9 with heavier equipment and same engine climbs better..

Yak-3 has 26.5 m/s climb rate with second engine (Yak-1M top engine) and B-20s/hub ShVAK, but only 10 seconds of boost and bleeds energy rather quickly.

_BloodHawk_ #40 Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:32 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
I find the Yak 7 a blast to play. Seems to be quite powerful for the tier and can be a difference maker in a game.

In my first 79 matches with it I have 119 kills and 22 assists. A very respectable 1.5 K/D ratio is good for any plane.

Also tagged with Yakovlev, Yak

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users