Yakovlev discussion thread

Yakovlev Yak

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
77 replies to this topic

pyantoryng #1 Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:58 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2148 battles
Those who have picked their Yaks, tell your findings and discuss about this family of aircrafts here.
Because the Yak route is [currently, as of this post] an uncharted territory, there will be nothing to read upon before deciding to pursue and purchase, so let us make them available here.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

pyantoryng #2 Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:01 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2148 battles
I'll go first...

I picked the Yak-1 because I don't think I have the trigger discipline to work with the heavier Yak-7 route. Both Yaks, on paper, can be perceived as a stripped down LaGG-3, purpose built for the setup.

The Yak-1, despite its best arms are the basic ShVAK 20mm cannon and a single BS 50cal (i.e. a fully stripped down, 20mm equipped LaGG-3), does not feel as underwhelming as the A6M5, which sports two heavy MGs and two cannons, for some reason. The plane is relatively light on its controls (not nose-heavy like the LaGG-3). You'll need to endure a bit before getting upgraded airframe, which will raise the Yak-1's firepower to an acceptable level (I can now see why people say to ditch the ShKAS on the LaGG-3 here - its lack of both range and power make it almost useless beyond Tier 4 air-to-air). 15 battles in the plane, with a few using ShKAS, was quite unbearable (I said be thankful for the LaGG once during that time)...after switching to the BS it gobbles through stuff quicker than one could think - more isn't necessarily better is something to keep in mind when using the Yak-1, as its armament make it look weak firepower-wise. RS-82s are entirely up to preference, per usual. A sucky plane at first glane, at least workable to a good plane after getting that BS gun.

I already have the top engine from the LaGG-3, though, so I can't say for certain about full stock. But first priority is to get the BS onto it ASAP.

One funny thing I've ran into - I've somehow flew into an enemy Sh-Tandem's belly with my Yak-1, gun-blazing. Both of us died (me from being unable to endure the resultant damage, him from getting shredded from both my props and bullets)...it was funny, just too funny, to kill someone in a literal point blank burst...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

NathanFlightLeader #3 Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:17 PM

Flying Kiwi

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
I haven't updated the game yet, been browsing the forums and having breakfast. Is the Yak line good?
"It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed."
"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" And "Oh S...!"
"Airspeed, altitude and brains. Two are always needed to successfully complete the flight."
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous.

Heh #4 Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:18 PM

Sky Whale Historian

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostNathanFlightLeader, on 19 August 2013 - 09:17 PM, said:

I haven't updated the game yet, been browsing the forums and having breakfast. Is the Yak line good?

I'll be finding out soon. Or if Shwedor could give us brief descriptions.
Heh - aeromarine biologist

View Posthahiha, on , said:

OMG Heh you have had so many posts O_O

pyantoryng #5 Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2148 battles
One thing's certain - the Messerschmitt knock-off that is the I-17 just...suck.

That level of firepower should remain in the more sturdy Messerschmitt...it just do not belong on the I-17...

...I'll have to try the I-16L sometimes...

hockeyrob69 #6 Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:04 AM

Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
I have the YAK7 and the i17.... I like the i17 better as it has one hell of a turn ratio especially without the 20mm cannon installed... YAK7 I don't really like as once you add that 37mm cannon it drops your manueverability about 30 points to less than 300....... YAK7 just doesnt turn tight enough to be a fighter in my opinion........

IronGoatII #7 Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:50 AM

Master Sergeant

• 53 battles
may we have the MIGs please?

jethro11 #8 Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:07 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 30 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
I have the yak-1 right now. It is pretty fast and good maneuvering but the guns are very lacking. But I can get behind someone and they can't lose me, but it takes a longtime to take them down.

pyantoryng #9 Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:46 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2148 battles
I'll get around to Yak-7 eventually...from what I can see, the Yak-7 armed with 37mm sows panic when one fall plane after plane by that gigantic cannon...

pyantoryng #10 Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2148 battles
Ok...I've got the Yak-7 via grinding the I-17. I'll take back what I said about the Messerschmitt knock-off. It's actually a decent plane to fly, and that ShVAK gives quite a punch - I might as well as play the I-15bisDM-2 if I want a plane with just 4 ShKAS.
The Yak-7, retrained my I-15bisDM-2 pilot into it, give it top engine and 2x 12.7 MG...first battle forgot that I pressed battle and down the drink I went...I'm that absent-minded.
Second battle I get to fly. Used like a LaGG-3 with similar setting, it's not very heavy on the nose for now and handles rather well with stock ShVAK. I let out a barrage then flew right under an IL-2 at full speed while letting out a roar...I even saw his bomb dropped in attempt to take me out - I was in front and above him after the bomb exploded...was funny. Caught a sighting of Bearrick near the end too. My first impression : not bad...or was I experienced with the LaGG-3 so I adapt to the Yaks a bit quicker..?
The 37mm will have to wait - I'm getting packet loss and I'm rather worn out from playing the I-17 nonstop...
Note : Both Yak-1 and Yak-7 use reflector sight but fabric covering...

Noreaga #11 Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:46 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
went the yak heavy route... not many games in them but;

The i17 is fun a great TNB plane like the i 15 late

the yak 7 ( i think) is a mix between the lagg 3 and the la5 once you get the 37mm cannon you can do alot of dmg quickly

from i hear on clan chat everyone loves the yak 9 and the 45mm is tons of fun !

all in all another pretty typical russian line low on climb high on horizontal, cant wait to get back into one and try again.

Nimis obnoxii curare

SkyWolf__WM #12 Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:36 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 9274 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S
I bought and upgraded the I-17.

Flown it twice. 2 Aces and a SkyScourge. :playing:

Man am I going to be disappointed when reality sets in.  :ohmy:
***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.

pyantoryng #13 Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:46 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2148 battles

View PostSkyWolf__WM, on 20 August 2013 - 08:36 PM, said:

I bought and upgraded the I-17.

Flown it twice. 2 Aces and a SkyScourge. :playing:

Man am I going to be disappointed when reality sets in.  :ohmy:

There are many Tier 6s out there...and the I-17 is in for some stomping. But you do get to be the stomper. I think grinding the I-17 will be a good time after the wipe...taking advantage of everyone's fresh start and get out there stomping...

Note : for some reason the Yak-1 feels less flimsy than Zero despite the former is *fabric* while the latter is *metal*...

Heh #14 Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:39 PM

Sky Whale Historian

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 20 August 2013 - 08:46 PM, said:

Note : for some reason the Yak-1 feels less flimsy than Zero despite the former is *fabric* while the latter is *metal*...

The Yak-1 is made of wood on the wings, fabric on the control surfaces, but aluminum on the fuselage.

JDMFreakz #15 Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 106 battles

View PostHeh, on 20 August 2013 - 10:39 PM, said:

The Yak-1 is made of wood on the wings, fabric on the control surfaces, but aluminum on the fuselage.

the same goes for La-5 right? (La-7 and later models made from full metal btw)

Heh #16 Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:17 PM

Sky Whale Historian

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostJDMFreakz, on 21 August 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

the same goes for La-5 right? (La-7 and later models made from full metal btw)

Same for the La-5 and earlier versions of the La-7.

pyantoryng #17 Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2148 battles
Yak-7 with 37mm is...not going so well for me.

...but hey, at least I can use 2 50cal as opposed to 1 and a ShVAK that Yak-1 uses...the jutting tube on the prop hub works, so long as you can hit...

PinTBC #18 Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:48 AM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles
  • [F59] F59
Flown a few missions both in and against the early Yaks..

I-17 - Nice and nimble, a fun plane to fly against same and lower level tiers.  Against tiers 5 or 6, if you get someone who knows how to run and gun, you are kind of hurting.  The plane turns faster than anything in the tier, but has problems with vertical fights.  If you stall, it takes forever to recover.  I believe I had 10 kills in this this afternoon (It was either this or my P-36, but I think it was this).

Yak-7 - I don't actually like this one.  If you put the heavy cannon on it, it handles like a 109 and you lose your turning advantage.  Without the heavy cannon, it is kind of Meh..

Yak-1 - Love this plane.  Incredibly quick.  I think it has a +60 rating on most of the other aircraft in the tier.  Nothing can out turn it.  It doesn't seem to have quite the same problems vertically that the 7 or 17 do, but I never got into a prolonged vertical with anyone.

Yak-1M - Love this plane too..  Was outturning P-51As..

That's all I have right now..  All in all, they seem incredibly quick, and if you can force your target into a turn fight, you should win easily.  They are very thin on armor, so if you get boom and zoomed, it is going to hurt.  They are a bit light on guns, but make up for it with their quickness.  The only thing I didn't like is common with these and Zeros..  They overheat awfully quickly.

Up to the Yak-1M, I really like these planes and think they compare very nicely to pretty much anything I've flown out therte.

pyantoryng #19 Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:32 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2148 battles
I find the LaGG-3's 2 50cals/1 cannon setup works great...I don't like the heavy cannon either, so I think I'll give up on the heavy Yak and just concentrate on the light Yak.

I'm at both Yak's Tier 6 now, but I'll stop at Yak-9 for the heavy Yak and continue with the light Yak. The light Yak isn't as flimsy as the Japanese planes and actually packs better punch because the Type 99 cannons are so hard to use properly.

shwedor #20 Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:33 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
The Yak's are very team dependent on winning, if your team is horribad and dies don't expect to be able to come back and kill them all with a Yak. Unlike a Heavy Fighter or carrier plane which can abuse its incredible climb rate and firepower to go hunt down enemy planes over their AA, the Yak's get slaughtered by AA due to their extremely low HP and poor armament. All an enemy has to do is achieve supremacy, and then run and hide under AA. The Yak's have less HP than even the Japanese fighters and less firepower at high tiers.
Not a poser P51A troll but around 145+ games, 90% win rate, too many to count kills.
Overall: 2300+ games, 85% win rate, 5.3k+ air kills
Potato Team Member - (1st place in all Air Raids and North American tournaments)

http://forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/topic/4478-wargaming-na-for-wowp-completely-incompetent/#entry79586

Also tagged with Yakovlev, Yak

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users