Kamikazee Aircraft?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

Vladimir__Poutine #1 Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:21 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [UCS] UCS
Do you remember that the Japanese used their aircraft and kamikazee themselves onto American vessels, and that that Germany launched a bunch of V1 (Doodlebug) missiles onto UK? Well the Japanese made a combined aircraft. I don't think it would go in the game, but I was looking through various Japanese aircraft during World War II. An aircraft Yokosuka MXY7 or "Ohka"  (Translation: Fool or idiot) would be some of the examples of a kamikazee aircraft.

The MXY7 aircraft was used by the Imperial Japanese Air Force as a jet powered manned missile. So basically unlike the V1 (which is unmanned), the MXY7  is manned missile where a pilot in the cockpit controls the missile by controls inside the missile and like all kamikazee missions, crashed into allie ships. The only armament on that aircraft or missile is a live warhead on the nose. It was produced through 1944 to 1945. In total about 852 aircraft were produced.

General characteristics:
-Crew: One
-Length: 6.06 m (19 ft 11 in)
-Wingspan: 5.12 m (16 ft 9½ in)
-Height: 1.16 m (3 ft 9⅓ in)
-Wing area: 6 m² (64.583 ft²)
-Empty weight: 440 kg (970 lb)
-Loaded weight: 2,140 kg (4,718 lb)
-Powerplant: 3 × Type 4 Mark 1 Model 20 rocket motors Solid propellant, 2.60 kN (587 lbf) each

Performance:
-Maximum speed: 804 km/h in dive (576 mph in dive)
-Range: 36 km (23 mi)
-Wing loading: 356.7 kg/m² (73.1 lb/ft²)
-Thrust/weight: 0.38
-Dive speed (3 Rocket motors at Full-Boost): 1,040 km/h (650 mph)

Armament:
-1,200 kg (2,646 lb) Ammonal warhead

Posted Image

Posted Image

In hanger: Bell XP-77, I-15 DM-2, TSh-1, Pegasus, Arado A65, and Aradon A68.

BUFF THE TSh-3 and TSh-1 BACK!

Currently grinding: TSh-3 and Arado A80

Heh #2 Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:27 AM

Sky Whale Historian

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
If you can't kill them with weapons, kill them with honor.
Heh - aeromarine biologist

View Posthahiha, on , said:

OMG Heh you have had so many posts O_O

NathanFlightLeader #3 Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:43 AM

Flying Kiwi

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
It would be cool to have these planes in game but since they don't have any guns...
"It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed."
"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" And "Oh S...!"
"Airspeed, altitude and brains. Two are always needed to successfully complete the flight."
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous.

QJW #4 Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:16 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
Just to add, it was almost always mounted on the bottom of G4M Betty Bombers.
Posted Image

-Never give in, Never give up, Never surrender.
-Always give in 110% Dam it!
-Don'tbelieve in yourself, believe in the QJW that believes in you. ^^

pyantoryng #5 Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1995 battles
Apparently the A6M5 equipped with 250kg bombs are used in Kamikaze attack themselves...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Heh #6 Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:09 PM

Sky Whale Historian

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View Postpyantoryng, on 07 August 2013 - 03:47 PM, said:

Apparently the A6M5 equipped with 250kg bombs are used in Kamikaze attack themselves...

They were, but the 250 kg bomb here is interpreted differently. IRL, that bomb was fixed to the Zeke and could not be removed.

JDMFreakz #7 Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 106 battles

View PostHeh, on 07 August 2013 - 12:27 AM, said:

If you can't kill them with weapons, kill them with honor.

LOL! you made my day :teethhappy:

btw 'ohka' doesnt mean 'idiot', but 'baka (what USN personel called it)' means 'idiot'

Bandet #8 Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:36 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
:trollface:

The ultimate trollplane

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.

dmon66 #9 Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:04 AM

Senior Airman

• 10 battles
I believe they called these planes a "Lotus Blossom" and I think they even set them on fire, or they caught fire easily and were flaming when americans shot them down as they came at the ships.. Think it was very late in the war against Japan, around Okinawa, or there abouts, that they were 1st seen.
If at 1st you don't succeed, fly, fly, again.....

Panzer_Leader_3 #10 Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
TROLLNESS THRU RAMMING!

If you see a Panzer flying a 109, you are probably already dead.-Me.
Normal expression of my enemies: --___--
Antigravity Squirrel reprograms your face.
#DontDissTanksFlyingPlanes

COLDSTEELEII #11 Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
  • [7AD23] 7AD23

View Postdmon66, on 18 August 2013 - 02:04 AM, said:

I believe they called these planes a "Lotus Blossom" and I think they even set them on fire, or they caught fire easily and were flaming when americans shot them down as they came at the ships.. Think it was very late in the war against Japan, around Okinawa, or there abouts, that they were 1st seen.
i had heard Cherry Blossom idk though  dead as hell ither way if one slammed into the ship near you. I bet we called them the OHHH SH#$T more than any blossom Mabe Blooming idiot .
I looked into pulse jets like used on the V1 buzz bombs and found them very interesting as they have no moving parts other than whats called a Reed valve at the very front to let air in  thats it no turbine its a hollow tubes of differant diamiters  with a fuel and  ignition source. Basically  air forces the reed vave open  forcing air into the tubes combustion chamber through forward motion, fuels added Pow!!! this explosion followed the path of least resistance pushing the aircraft forward causing a vacume sucking in more air repeating the cycle at a fast rate its what gave it the sound of a machine gun or a giant blowing razberries. Very easy to build with the right metal tubeing

Edited by COLDSTEELEII, 22 October 2013 - 03:41 PM.

GOOD HUNTING
COLDSTEELEII :honoring:

GoodGameXXX #12 Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:11 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Germany prototyped something similiar.

Bogie_with_Stu #13 Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:18 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [K_O_S] K_O_S

View PostVladmir_Lemon, on 07 August 2013 - 12:21 AM, said:

Do you remember that the Japanese used their aircraft and kamikazee themselves onto American vessels, and that that Germany launched a bunch of V1 (Doodlebug) missiles onto UK? Well the Japanese made a combined aircraft. I don't think it would go in the game, but I was looking through various Japanese aircraft during World War II. An aircraft Yokosuka MXY7 or "Ohka"  (Translation: Fool or idiot) would be some of the examples of a kamikazee aircraft.

The MXY7 aircraft was used by the Imperial Japanese Air Force as a jet powered manned missile. So basically unlike the V1 (which is unmanned), the MXY7  is manned missile where a pilot in the cockpit controls the missile by controls inside the missile and like all kamikazee missions, crashed into allie ships. The only armament on that aircraft or missile is a live warhead on the nose. It was produced through 1944 to 1945. In total about 852 aircraft were produced.

General characteristics:
-Crew: One
-Length: 6.06 m (19 ft 11 in)
-Wingspan: 5.12 m (16 ft 9½ in)
-Height: 1.16 m (3 ft 9⅓ in)
-Wing area: 6 m² (64.583 ft²)
-Empty weight: 440 kg (970 lb)
-Loaded weight: 2,140 kg (4,718 lb)
-Powerplant: 3 × Type 4 Mark 1 Model 20 rocket motors Solid propellant, 2.60 kN (587 lbf) each

Performance:
-Maximum speed: 804 km/h in dive (576 mph in dive)
-Range: 36 km (23 mi)
-Wing loading: 356.7 kg/m² (73.1 lb/ft²)
-Thrust/weight: 0.38
-Dive speed (3 Rocket motors at Full-Boost): 1,040 km/h (650 mph)

Armament:
-1,200 kg (2,646 lb) Ammonal warhead

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ok, I cant advocate for this aircraft to be added to the game...but it IS wicked cool. Basically a manned cruise missile 50 years before cruise missiles. It is also rather 'modern" looking compared to the airplanes of the day.

Cool find, +1.

Heh #14 Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:34 PM

Sky Whale Historian

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View Postzen1360, on 24 October 2013 - 02:18 AM, said:

Basically a manned cruise missile 50 years before cruise missiles.

Technically the V-1 is the first cruise missile. Its role was exactly that of a cruise missile.

FreeFOXMIKE #15 Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:27 PM

G.A.T.P. (Global Alpha Test Pilot)

• 4512 battles
  • [332ND] 332ND

View PostPanzer_Leader_3, on 01 September 2013 - 02:38 PM, said:

TROLLNESS THRU RAMMING!

the below person posted this in the WW2 forum
http://www.ww2f.com/...to-air-ramming/
JCFalkenbergIII
Expert
Members
PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
10,478 posts
Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:12 AM
Flying Rams
Written by Greg Bjerg on May 22nd, 2006 at 11:19 pm
From DamnInteresting.com
Posted ImageNorthrop XP-79During World War 2, large bombers and flying fortresses were considered critical for victory by both the Allied and Axis forces. In order to meet the threat of enemy bombers, both the Germans and the Americans were developing new interceptors intended to attack large enemy planes by deliberately colliding with them. Employing a technology which was ultimately abandoned, the solidly-built interceptors were meant to collide with their target at extremely high speeds. If all went according to plan, the bomber would be fatally wounded and the ramming plane and its pilot would survive the impact, ready to move on to the next victim.
The American plane designed for this role was the Northrop XP-79B. Started as a program to develop a rocket-powered gun-equipped fighter, the XP-79B emerged as a magnesium-reinforced jet designed to ram enemy aircraft. The jet's design was unique, placing the pilot in a prone position to allow him to endure much greater g-forces. The pilot controlled the ailerons with a tiller bar in front of him and rudders mounted at his feet, which is the reverse of normal flight controls. Intakes at the wingtips supplied air for the unusual bellows-boosted ailerons.
Naturally the plane was nicknamed the "Flying Ram." The plan was simple: fly above enemy aircraft, then enter a high-speed dive and collide with an enemy's wing or vertical stabilizer. The XP-79B was designed to survive because of the heavily reinforced leading edges on the wings.
Posted ImageThe XP-79B had a range of 993 miles, a ceiling of 40,000 feet and a top speed of just under five hundred and fifty miles per hour. A developmental version of the plane, the MX-324, became America’s first rocket-powered aircraft.
Fortunately for potential pilots, the balance of power in the war turned against the Axis before the plane ever flew. The only XP-79B to take to the air did so after the war's end, and ended tragically. Test pilot Harry Crosby had flown the plane well for several minutes before it entered an uncontrollable spin from 8,000 feet, and Crosby was unable to bail out. The XP-79B project died with him.
Although Axis pilots– especially the Japanese– actually did try to collide with Allied bombers using volunteers using conventional aircraft, they also had efforts to develop ramming planes. The Zeppelin Company in Germany– named after Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin– was working on such a rocket plane when the war ended. It was called the Zeppelin Rammer.
The Rammer was proposed in the last six months of the war, but its progress never went beyond the design stage. Unlike the XP-79B, the Rammer was to be towed aloft by another fighter (probably a ME-109 or ME-110) and then released at the desired altitude. After being released it would ignite a solid-fuel rocket and accelerate to six hundred miles per hour. The small plane had fourteen small rockets housed in the nose, which could be fired at an enemy aircraft. The fighter could then take a second pass to ram the target if needed. Posted ImageZeppelin RammerThe designers were convinced that the Rammer would be able to slice through a bomber’s tail section with little or no damage due to the heavily reinforced leading edges on the wings. After an attack, the Rammer would glide to the ground its retractable skid.
The Japanese never got to the stage of designing a plane specifically for ramming. Still, some Allied B-29's were lost in ramming attacks by Japanese pilots using outdated aircraft. The Shinten Seiku-tai (The Heaven Shaking Air Superior Unit) were specially trained sections of fighter units with the mission of air-to-air ramming of Allied bomber aircraft. It was all an act of desperation which had no significant military value aside from downing a few bombers, much like the kamikazes' efforts to damage US carriers.
The idea of using an aircraft as a manned guided missile has a modern footnote as well. On September 11, 2001, F-16 pilots flying combat air patrol over Washington DC decided that they would ram hijacked airliners if necessary. The pilots had taken off in such a hurry to protect Washington that they left with no air-to-air missiles and the wrong ammunition. Some planes left with non-explosive practice rounds.
Although the Northrop XP-79B program was cancelled early, its legacy lives on in the 21st century. The Northrop Corporation ultimately used its basic design when building the revolutionary "Flying Wings" of the 1950s. Northrop gained considerable knowledge about wing-only aircraft with planes like the XP-79B, and that expertise eventually lead to the B-2 Stealth Bomber.
but back to the "Fools bomb"

Edited by FreeFOXMIKE, 24 October 2013 - 05:33 PM.

332 Virtual  Fighter  Group

FreeFOXMIKE #16 Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:34 PM

G.A.T.P. (Global Alpha Test Pilot)

• 4512 battles
  • [332ND] 332ND

Tuckie1000·170 videos
Published on Dec 27, 2012
This is how a bunch of US Navy fighters intercepted a group of Betty carrying Ohka, a flying bomb manned by a suicidal kamikaze.

332 Virtual  Fighter  Group

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users