Pulled into the ground by "heavy gravity"?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

Mercsn #1 Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:52 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2616 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
So, I've recently seen another thread where someone had this problem, but I cannot find it through search.  Up until this point, I've experienced the optical illusion of the ground pulling me down at very low altitudes when the Mouse control scheme cinematic camera moves to stay between the plane and the ground and always chocked those "heavy gravity" posts up to that illusion.
However, just now on pacific map, right at the start, I genuinely was pulled into the ocean almost as if someone pushed down on my aircraft as it was starting to climb.  Here's what happened:
[As a note, I usually take rockets on my La-5 becuase it's so nimble it can fight with them in a pinch and they allow me to knock out one GT just in case it ends up being close, I did my part to help.  On pacific, I will usually look for enemy GA or other low flying aircraft, straffe them (or run cover for our GA guys and shoot people off their tail) while heading towards the nearest GT's.  I will dump the rockets and then go shoot bad-guys off teamates tails until someone decideds I'm a threat and comes after me.]  So, I'm flying towards our Il-2 to cover him when I see a bf110e straffing a ground target, I manuever for a shot on him which puts me at a sharp dive.  After hitting him a bit, I roll the plane over and pull up so that I will come up on his tail after he passes under me.  I do this sort of attack a lot.  This time, however, after my aircraft had pulled up and was already nose up to the horizon, altimeter starting to climb, SPLASH.   I was not killed by a bomb from the 110e.  I crashed into the ocean and was credited
-1 kills.  My nose was already pointing above the horizon, the altimiter had started to indicate climb when the game sort of did the herky-jerky slow motion that it does when two aircraft collide at a slow closure rate.  Then, SPLASH!
So, apparently, there is some heavy gravity at very low altitude.
EDIT:  This happened in F-2 on Pacific map and I was unable, in training room, to dupilicate the occurance with the same aircraft and manuever.  I also flew very low (2m) in the entire area and couldn't find any "tall" ocean spots.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

Sandman1969 #2 Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:27 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 39 battles
I have had it happen a few times in a few different planes. Last time it happened, I was flying level to the ground when I was sucked in.

PanzerXO #3 Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:28 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
The only map I've noticed that on was Pacific.

Most places where there is ground below you, the ground effect lifts you up.  But on Pacific, if you are over water I have seen players 'snatched down'.

There could be a problem with the water clipping or it's hitbox not being lined up with the image of the surface properly...

View PostRosebud, on , said:

...By flying into the middle you are boldly stating that you are a noob and haven’t learned your lesson yet.
ROSEBUD

Sandman1969 #4 Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:45 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 39 battles
I have seen it on other maps as well.

Just had a thing happen where an enemy plane is diving at me, he is shown to pass under me but still some how crashes into me. Even he saw the same thing as being below me, yet we crashed. Do planes have mis-shapen hit boxes or something?

A_Defenseless_Kitten #5 Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:56 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2 battles
  • [CS7AO] CS7AO
I had this problem a couple of times going near to close to mountains
hiss

FreeFOXMIKE #6 Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:51 AM

G.A.T.P. (Global Alpha Test Pilot)

• 5117 battles
  • [332ND] 332ND
the dreaded double post   :amazed:

Edited by FreeFOXMIKE, 06 August 2013 - 07:54 AM.

332 Virtual  Fighter  Group

FreeFOXMIKE #7 Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:53 AM

• 5117 battles
  • [332ND] 332ND
the only map the had a reputation for this was the parks ,but that was addressed,now next time check your ping,and FPS,you may be experiencing lag problems. next time it happens send a screen of the crash sight ,and logs to support. A ping plot can be of use if your ping rate is high to.

Sandman1969 #8 Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:58 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 39 battles
I never experience any lag and no fps drops at that point to make me get sucked into the ground.

FreeFOXMIKE #9 Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:23 AM

• 5117 battles
  • [332ND] 332ND

View PostSandman1969, on 06 August 2013 - 07:58 AM, said:

I never experience any lag and no fps drops at that point to make me get sucked into the ground.
:glasses:  never played on the EU,or RU server flying low?

SkyWolf__WM #10 Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:31 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 9290 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S
It's ground suck. And it definitely sucks.
http://forum.worldof...uck#entry261839
***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.

JDMFreakz #11 Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 106 battles
because of most of maps allow us to go to -30m or more altitude maybe? like the national park, where the altimeter shows minus value if we go down the waterfall

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users