Anyone else focusing on the Japanese tree? Thoughts so far?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

losttwo #21 Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 4446 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
YES, I will be keeping Japanese in my inventory. At first I struggled with learning how to fly them effectively with much distaste. I played around with the ammo choices took off the extra sight module and stopped running off into battle. Now I play it like a Ninja trying to stab everyone in the back with sneak attacks. This genre of plane is either dead in the first few seconds of battle or survives to the end depending on your team mates and how you play it. It is not meant for long range firing of weapons so you need to get in close with out firing a warning shot. Hope your target doesn't look at the map. Then, boom, drop them like a hot cake.

EspressoForHammy #22 Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:13 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
I am focusing on it. I am up to the J4M1 so far, but still stock guns. Took me 25 games to realize it wasn't a turnfighter...  :facepalm: Now I use the second engine out of the four to propel me clear of a fight with any tier 6, and most tier 7s. I enter a dogfight only with lots of available boost to get out if needed. I enjoy the aircraft, but it is hard to stay alive when you get pounced by tier 8 jets...

"More fun than a three-legged mouse covered in hash oil."  "This is like taking my p38 through a cloud of loose stools... watta mess."

- A55 BOTlistic Commie (Both quotes!)

HZero #23 Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 2 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostHeh, on 11 September 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

The J4M is NOT a turnfighter. Play it like a skorca.

I have no idea what a skorca is.

In regards to my question, seems what you are saying is "it doesn't fit in and we have no idea why a plane that would fit has not been put there."  Does that sound about right?

Dreaming of better days.  When this game had full matches, fiery dogfights, and hope for the future.

Heh #24 Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:25 PM

Sky Whale Historian

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostHZero, on 11 September 2013 - 08:56 PM, said:

I have no idea what a skorca is.

In regards to my question, seems what you are saying is "it doesn't fit in and we have no idea why a plane that would fit has not been put there."  Does that sound about right?

Skorca = heavy fighter. Yep, should make an aeromarine biology lexicon. All I'm saying is that it's a heavy fighter taking a fighter spot.
Heh - aeromarine biologist

View Posthahiha, on , said:

OMG Heh you have had so many posts O_O

HZero #25 Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:08 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 2 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostHeh, on 11 September 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

Skorca = heavy fighter. Yep, should make an aeromarine biology lexicon. All I'm saying is that it's a heavy fighter taking a fighter spot.

Got it, thanks!  Yes, I think you should do the lexicon, would be a fun read!

Dreaming of better days.  When this game had full matches, fiery dogfights, and hope for the future.

Heh #26 Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

Sky Whale Historian

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostHZero, on 12 September 2013 - 04:08 AM, said:

Yes, I think you should do the lexicon, would be a fun read!

Done: http://forum.worldof...on-for-dummies/
Heh - aeromarine biologist

View Posthahiha, on , said:

OMG Heh you have had so many posts O_O

Mujinn #27 Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:05 PM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles
I have played the Japanese line up to tier 5 and up to and including t4 they seem ok, tier 4 being the best since most planes still have about the same hp range as they do. Just seems the tier 5 one is way low on hp when compared to any other plane. Most of the other planes are 150+ on hp and the Japanese t5 only gets 110 upgraded. The t5 needs more hp and their guns need to last a bit longer. Maneuverability is fine and all but if your guns don't work for more then 2 seconds then having to wait 3 seconds before you can do a full 2 seconds again seems a bit wrong.  Getting hit even a few times really messes up the planes as their engines seem to always die on almost any hit both front and back.

The Japanese line t5 and higher really need to  be reviewed and given at least an hp boost if not a gun fire length boost as well.

COLDSTEELEII #28 Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:56 PM

Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
  • [7AD23] 7AD23
I am at the A6M and its my favorite plane so far I added the covering and self seal fuel tank,Idk if they use the historic model of the plane but they were paper thin and lit up easy though iv not caught on fire alot no more than other planes. But I carry 2 bombs and if able hit a ground target 1st or dump them if I get jumped early on. I do find it gets top teir more than any other of the planes in the hanger. I know I dont have many battles on here but the A6M is a fun plane. I felt a little guilty as the F4U is one of my favorite planes and my go to in combat flite sim I play. But in game I have more luck with the zero. It cant out dive or climb the American but it out turns most
GOOD HUNTING
COLDSTEELEII :honoring:

Xarlanna15 #29 Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:24 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
I have researched and flown up to the T8 J7.  Thoughts are as follows:

1) Ceiling is horrible.  To be limited to below 4000 (or lower) effective is a serious handicap at the start of the match.
2) Paper thin armor means stay the heck away from enemy AA.  Best played staying near your HQ as an inner line of defense.  Use the AA as your wingman.
3)  Must be used as a slash and dash fighter.  This means the inevitable screams of "Kill Stealer" from your teammates, but you must do what your aircraft is designed to do best.
4)  Attacking a Skorca is a dangerous and tedious task.  As mentioned on other threads, attacking them from the 6 or head on leads to a short fight.  Approach from the side, let lose around 1000-1200, fly past, turn and repeat.  While you may get lucky if the Skorca is wounded or the pilot is new, this style will require more than one pass.
5) Head to head with ANYONE is more oft than not a short flight for you.  Your aircraft are designed to dip and weave, use it to your advantage.  Use the landscape, ground targets, anything you can to you advantage as you can out maneuver most aircraft you face.
6) Use upgraded ammo.  Your opponents will make use of it whenever they can, and it makes you that much more effective when you get the shot on an opponent.
7) NEVER CARRY BOMBS! Your advantage is your ability to dip and weave, adding the weight of bombs to your aircraft just makes it that much harder to fly and you that much easier a target.

You will from time to time read/hear comments from folks on your team and the opposing one about flying the Japanese line.  As long as you are flying a line you enjoy, ignore them.  The best revenge for comments like that is when you have their aircraft filling your gunsight and you are filling it with rounds.
Most important, have fun!

EspressoForHammy #30 Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:40 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostSmokeader, on 17 October 2013 - 03:24 AM, said:

I have researched and flown up to the T8 J7.  Thoughts are as follows:

1) Ceiling is horrible.  To be limited to below 4000 (or lower) effective is a serious handicap at the start of the match.
2) Paper thin armor means stay the heck away from enemy AA.  Best played staying near your HQ as an inner line of defense.  Use the AA as your wingman.
3)  Must be used as a slash and dash fighter.  This means the inevitable screams of "Kill Stealer" from your teammates, but you must do what your aircraft is designed to do best.
4)  Attacking a Skorca is a dangerous and tedious task.  As mentioned on other threads, attacking them from the 6 or head on leads to a short fight.  Approach from the side, let lose around 1000-1200, fly past, turn and repeat.  While you may get lucky if the Skorca is wounded or the pilot is new, this style will require more than one pass.
5) Head to head with ANYONE is more oft than not a short flight for you.  Your aircraft are designed to dip and weave, use it to your advantage.  Use the landscape, ground targets, anything you can to you advantage as you can out maneuver most aircraft you face.
6) Use upgraded ammo.  Your opponents will make use of it whenever they can, and it makes you that much more effective when you get the shot on an opponent.
7) NEVER CARRY BOMBS! Your advantage is your ability to dip and weave, adding the weight of bombs to your aircraft just makes it that much harder to fly and you that much easier a target.

You will from time to time read/hear comments from folks on your team and the opposing one about flying the Japanese line.  As long as you are flying a line you enjoy, ignore them.  The best revenge for comments like that is when you have their aircraft filling your gunsight and you are filling it with rounds.
Most important, have fun!

+1 for a good post.

"More fun than a three-legged mouse covered in hash oil."  "This is like taking my p38 through a cloud of loose stools... watta mess."

Xarlanna15 #31 Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:18 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
Sorry to say but I am done concentrating on this line.  The line is OK up to about T6, after that the low ceiling really hampers the line.  This is especially true with the T8.  Nearly everyone else is thousands of feet above you, and your window to get a shot at them if they miss you on the BnZ is so small.  All of these are best as base defenders due to the ceiling and armor.  Will still keep a couple of my favorites on this line, but will be found more on the Russian GA line and low German Heavies.
Elisurf81, your insight to the line is invaluable.  I salute your loyalty.  Your comments are well written and the fact that you share your experience in simple terms for all to understand is better than peanut butter and jelly on homemade white bread.  I salute you and will have your back in any flight we are on the same team if I can keep up with you.

Pogo68 #32 Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1649 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-
I've reached the A6M5 and unfortunately I can't bring myself to spend the time to move past it.
My take so far.
The A6M2 could stand to have it's climb performance improved to more historically accurate levels.
That would perhaps compensate for the lack of hp and weak guns.
Frankly though the line needs to be revised
The Tier IV A6M1 should be dropped down to Tier III which it will share with the KI-33The A6M3 and 5 should be dropped down to Tier IV

Edited by Pogo68, 21 October 2013 - 07:36 PM.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

pyantoryng #33 Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:15 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2058 battles
If a match has no Mustang/Messerschmitt/Vought/Heavy Fighters in it...it's going to be fun...but 'tis impossible, because everyone play the said planes.

The effect is much more profound at high tier - a Shinden wouldn't last long there.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

EspressoForHammy #34 Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:37 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
I can now officially post a review of the J7W1 Shinden. I have only played 10 games in it, but have shot down 19 planes in those 10 games, and stayed alive in 8 of them, 2 of those being losses. So there is something to the aircraft that is more than meets the initial look.

I am flying it nearly stock, though the second engine comes off the A7M. I have the initial 4x30mm cannons that come on the plane if you had them researched from the old J4M1. There are four more 30mm cannons later for a lot more XP. The second engine boosts decently, and the aircraft has good torque, with climb rate only being limited by the imposed ceiling from WG. However, it is SOOOOO SLOW for a tier 8, with average speed while flying level at only 500kph. The cannons make absolute MINCEMEAT of anyone stupid enough to fly head-on with you, unless they are in a heavy fighter tier 7 or up, or a GA tier 8 or up. Everything else will be torn to shreds. I went head-on with a BF-109G and he simply melted, while doing less than 75hp damage to me. An ME-209 did 150 damage before he died. You can out-turn ANYTHING in the air with you, except tier 5-6 zeros, and they cannot do enough damage to you before you fly out of range. Make SURE to stay within your "good" altitude, as the J7's turn rate is heavily affected by being outside the green zone.

Pros:
- High firepower
- Good accuracy
- Very high maneuverability
- Decent boost/boost recharge

Cons:
- Very low altitude ceiling, which heavily affects maneuverability and climb rate
- High speed stall point, which leads to stalling in mere seconds if you tip the nose up without a decent chunk of airspeed and boost
- Very low speed in general, at least with stock engines.
- Low health (250hp)
- The stock 30mm cannons overheat quickly

I successfully avoided no less than 5 passes by an ME-262 piloted by a fellow Dracarys member, Autolycus. I used terrain, jinks and loops to pull this off, and even got a few rounds in him on one of his passes. Naturally, this only works if you have teammates who eventually prey on the helplessly low 262, because otherwise they will eventually sink a few 30mm rounds into you, and 250hp only lasts so long...

I destroyed an IL-10 in less than 4 seconds with a sustained burst of 30mm from a shallow dive. I never even got within reach of his tailgunner. The firepower is there, but you MUST be able to aim.

pyantoryng #35 Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2058 battles
Mine's still fully stock...it bleeds speed very quickly, and the 20mm cannons can only do so much.
...I did gave the full fury of the four 20mms to an IL-40, though...some 600 damage was dealt from cold to overheat guns...
With all seriousness, J7W1's performance data will be inevitably skewered greatly due to the environment with no diversity whatsoever it is in. All it fights are P-51H, 262, Tier IXs (most of which are HG2 and FJ-1) and the occasional other German/American/British planes...lower tiered opponents are more or less the same deal, save for a bit more Russian/fellow Japanese planes, and that's it. At least it's excellent for Ilyushin hunting while other high altitude fighters [on the team] concern themselves in the mile high club...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

_Down_Range #36 Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:34 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 721 battles
Battles played - 50+Plane balance - The newest releases have made this a better plane.  However, it does not stack up well against other tier 7 and higher A/C because it does not do well at high altitude where the higher tier A/C operateHistorical accuracy - While this was mostly a test A/C it seems to me the Japs would have designed a new fighter to work at the higher altitudes to get to the B-29s. So because the A/C tops out below 5000 feet I would say there is a historic inaccuracyPower curve - There is not much of a change as the A/C is upgradedAdjustment recommendations - The operational ceiling needs to be increased to at least 7K feet based on my comments aboveAdditional notes - Maybe the MK9E engine or similar can be the Supercharged Ha-43 Engine so this would give it better higher Altitude performance.
The Japanese had failed to progress their aircraft much like the Germans did... keeping the same idealogy behind what they considered an advancement ( they keep poor armor, no self-sealing fuel tanks, low alititude performance, high manueveability) until it was too late. You are making judgements on planes SO FAR in the Japanese line... if you research other aircraft that will make it into the Japanese line (ie. the Ki-100 for example) they (japanese govt) decided to make higher performing planes, only a few which saw combat before the end of the war. For information purpose, the Ki-100 had a version that was designed to engage the B-29 and the J2M4 was also a high altitude interceptor. I am sure the Devs will add this aircraft to the lineup amoung others ( there is still  more Japanese jets that has not appeared yet-- the Japanese version of the ME-262, the J8N-1 Kikka, J1N1 Gekko, Ki-201 for example) and the Japanese line will be more playable at mid-level to higher tiers and at higher altitudes. WoWP is just getting started and the current plane lineups for all current countries is just the start... many more are coming. Personally I think its exciting getting in on the ground level of a game like this and seeing all the aircraft additions.Other exciting Japanese aircraft to look for:Ki-43,Ki-61,Ki-84,Ki-100,J8N-1 Kikka.....and there is their heavy fighters( Ki-93,Ki-96, Kogiken Plan 1 Type A) along with a couple of GA aircraft (Ki-98 & Ki-102) line too so keep an eye out and look up some of these planes. But I do agree that the A7M3 with the Ha-43 supercharged engine should be brought aboard.
Ki-94-I
Ki-94-II
Ki-88
Ki-98 (Ground Attack)
Ki-102 (Ground Attack)
Ki-46-IIIB (Ground Attack)
Ki-46-III Kai (Heavy Fighter)
Ki-73 (Heavy Fighter)
Ki-64 (Heavy Fighter)
Ki-93 (Heavy Fighter)
Ki-96 (Heavy Fighter)
Kogiken Plan I Type A (Heavy Fighter)
Kogiken Plan I Type B1 (Heavy Fighter)
Ki-102 (Heavy Fighter)
Ki-108 (Heavy Fighter)
Ki-88
R2Y Keiun
Ki-61-I
Ki-61-II ( high altitude fighter )
Ki-84-IC (high altitude fighter)  <----- if WoWP does this one right it'll be the one to really look for in a fighter that stands up to advanced allied aircraft.
Ki-87-I (high altitude fighter)
Ki-87-II (high altitude fighter)
J2M4 Model 32 Raiden (high altitude fighter)
J2M4 Model 33 Raiden (high altitude fighter)
J2M4 Model 34 Raiden (high altitude fighter)
Ki-100-I
Ki-100-II (high altitude fighter)
N1K1, 2, 3, 4, 5 -J
J3K1 Type 17 (Interceptor)
J6K1 (Interceptor)
Ki-201 (Jet)
J8N-1 Kikka (Jet)
Kayaba Katsuodori (Jet)
Ki-162 (Jet)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users