MM Blues? How to win & profit at low tier...

change iz good

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

losttwo #41 Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:21 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
We need more posts like that showing that lower tiers can carry their weight and carry the team.

PressureLine #42 Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:11 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [FTE] FTE

View Postlosttwo, on 04 November 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

We need more posts like that showing that lower tiers can carry their weight and carry the team.
Okay! :laugh: I present to you, my most recent battle, a tier III/IV/V battle on national park!
Posted Image
1x Ar 80, 2x Fw 57, 1x IL-2 (mod)
*edit* I forgot to mention the other I-16(e) on my team had a good game too, 3 kills!

Edited by PressureLine, 08 November 2013 - 10:17 PM.

Korriken #43 Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:14 AM

Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

When I'm playing in my lowly t2 plane, I often have people trying to shoot me. I merely dodge them until someone else kills them. It's even funnier when you have multiple people trying to shoot you and you just lead them around in circles while someone else picks them off.

of course, all too often when they all come after me, everyone else splits and leaves me to try and last as long as possible.

Gurdeee #44 Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles
Doesn't seem like much fun running away.

PressureLine #45 Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:46 AM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [FTE] FTE

View PostGurdeee, on 20 November 2013 - 05:29 AM, said:

Doesn't seem like much fun running away.

It's more fun than being a pile of smoking wreckage though.

ST8Eight #46 Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:33 AM

Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
Great post which will remain valid regardless of the client number. Thank you very much for sharing some of your strategies, tactics and thoughts on a sortie. Tonight I had a GA on my six and just as I was about to bank he flew right through my F2A because he had so much speed coming in from a dive. He survived of course, but it was fun and humiliating all the same. I've never had this happen before and I saluted the enemy for an out of the box kill, haha! Good times -- good times.
Coming Soon || www.clanexus.com || Stay tuned! 
"He who so looks forward to the abyss is simply afraid of the light" - Holy Man\ST:I

KaMiK3k #47 Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:11 PM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles
  • [M0B] M0B

Guess what mr OP, your wrong.

If you face a T8 at T6, your dead it's that simple, game is not baanced, matchmaking is bad.

Your post is like livin on your own island where everything is cool, its not, its garbage

Justice_Time #48 Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:33 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

Can strategy overcome a tier disadvantage? Sure.

But... How can I put this...?

Let's say that there is a battle, and there aren't many players left. On one side you have 3 tier 5s. On the other, you have 3 tier 7s. Who do you think is going to win that fight? The 5s?! No way. Maybe if they are really good, maybe they can pull off a win. Clearly though, the 7s have the advantage here. Assuming both sides have equal skill, the 7s should win. Worse, consider that the 7s could be really good players too. In which case, it doesn't matter how good the 5s are. They're dead.

Further, the difference between tier Vs and VIIs is great. Let's look at a couple of planes, just as an example.

A6M2

• Hit Points: 135
  • Firepower: 110
  • Airspeed: 463 km/h
  • Maneuverability: 390
Bf-109 Z
  • Hit Points: 435
  • Firepower: 484
  • Airspeed: 666 km/h
  • Maneuverability: 205

Sure, the A6 can out-turn, and out-maneuver... but the Z only needs one second of clear shooting to take out the A6. Don't like my comparison? Think it's unfair? Look up the stats on the Beau or Bf-110E. Compare them to the Z, or compare any non-premium tier V vs any VII. Statistically, VIIs are better.

To reiterate... When you have a match spread across 3 tiers... the situation is really bad for those in the lowest tiers of the match. Even if you are really good, the fact is, the high-tiers of the match might be as good or better. If you opponents are both high-tiered and high-skilled, you are dead. Period.

That said, the situation isn't always hopeless, but it frequently is! You should never give up, but you shouldn't be mad when you lose in these situations.

PressureLine #49 Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:23 AM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [FTE] FTE

Dude, comparing the slowest tier V with the worst HP vs one of the fastest, toughest, most powerful VII's is an example of how not to use stats (or how to use them against people who are not paying attention)

What if it was the other way around, say a Bf 110E vs an A6M? Would it still be hopeless?

Don't cherrypick to try and support your viewpoint. 3/4 of the game is actually trying to get the enemy to fight on your terms, not his/hers.

Tusharguy22 #50 Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:36 AM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles

PanzerXO,

First off, I am a total, green, rank, beginner. I am trying some of the strategies you posted earlier for low tier aircraft.  I started flying around, back and fourth in random patterns over friendly headquarters trying to fish in some enemy aircraft. mostly the bad guys stay pretty well clear. This gives me time to study the map longer and my survivability seems to have improved much better. Although, if I wind up on the loosing side, and they come after me. Then I can get a few shots off, (once, I even shot someone down) before I get dusted. So I can personally say, try it, you'll like it.

With the lower tier GA aircraft, I need to practice more. I have tried to sneak in, out of the way, Not using the direct approach, toward the enemy headquarters, but over water it's hard to do. In the mountains or desert I have a little better chance. Those HF guys with back up. blow me out of the sky in no time. Most of the time without getting a single shot off. So I need to improve my GA strategy here some. Any pointers would be welcome.

Cheers!

Edited by Tusharguy22, 27 December 2013 - 01:39 AM.

mystikill #51 Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:04 AM

Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
I for one enjoy going up against higher tiers.  i find your game improves faster when going up against better players.  being a noob i am very proud of my tier 7 take down with a rocket in my tier 5 attack plane.  thanks for the helpful tips, please keep em coming.

Betatester2 #52 Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
When I am low tier I stay low to the ground, if you get in the air you will be mowed down, stay low and away from their AA guns! Fight others your tier and pick off enemy that is either diving low to get away or diving to chase a team mate down. Hang out around your base if they have bombers. Never go head on if your low tier, evade it then get behind him, low tier usually has more agility, use your lack of speed and altitude to your advantage, get them in low and then get behind them! Slower planes turn sharper. Also I have 2 tips for getting tailed, if your stuck in a circle battle or when ever your aggressively tailed, you should switch to loops to gain the advantage, when doing a loop most people can't focus on shooting you, if your low to the ground and they are going too fast they will crash, out fly them , and when you come out of it you can bank left or right, a lot of times he doesn't realized you did it and you can just float right in behind him . Loops are a great way to buy time when your in big trouble and see friendlies coming to help and it leaves them helplessly vulnerable. The other tip is a zig zag move I use while braking, basically instead of letting him shoot you in the butt I hit the brakes and cut left and back to the right and back to the left and so on, it makes you hard to hit going back and forth as well as your braking will make him go past you! Your actually going a very small distance by zig zagging as well as your brakes, a couple of turns and he will be passing you, a trick to this trick is don't zig zag horizontally, climb and drop a very small amount so if you do cross his guns for that 1 second you won't be at the same lvl. Hope this tips help and HAPPY 2014!

daphdk #53 Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5 battles
great post

Rimrender #54 Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:26 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

You can try every trick in the book but when someone two tiers higher than you comes screaming in from the clouds and opens up with cannons, you die in one burst no matter what. You can be turning inside that P-51 that dropped down, then his wingmen cut you apart in 2 seconds. You can even go in low for that GA, only to have a heavy disintegrate you from above.

And the best, some heavy or high tier B&Z fighter runs and hides higher than your 'last man standing' T&B plane can ever even climb to.

Yeah, you can do a lot to try and compensate, but this is all based on catching the other pilot not paying attention to your non-threat.

I may not have ever flown a plane, but I sure have jumped out of a lot of them.

Stand up, hook up, shuffle to the door.....

GiN_nTonic #55 Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:22 AM

Captain

• 38 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

What a roller-coaster of complete fun and absolute frustration.  I was finally climbing out of my matchmaking funk and winning here and there, when all of a sudden another HUGE loss streak set on.  The same thing happens in Wots, and its without logic or reason.  If I won in the same way - long streaks - I would understand its a natural ebb and flow.  That isn't what is happening, its ON AND ON with loss after loss after loss.  I can honestly say that playing other games like this (I won't name the game), I have NEVER EVER experienced the type of slides that occur in Wargaming products.  I am not saying I win all the time, nor do I expect that.  When it comes to MM Wargaming needs to adjust what they do....its broke.

Edited by GiNnTonic, 08 January 2014 - 07:23 AM.

ELMO_FUDD #56 Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles

Great topic!

World of Warplanes IS a great game. The TSh-3 is a real hammer... 5 down...14 gt pts... 

Edited by PO25, 15 January 2014 - 02:24 AM.

SpitfireXVI #57 Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:00 AM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles

I nose it 95% of the time, because Im gonna go find a fun match (unless I see familiar faces on my team, then maybe possible il stick it out.)

Its really simple!, im here to have fun!, not go against strangers in obviously superior machines in every single possible way with not just a little advantage, but an outright gross advantage.

When there is say a T3-4 match, I always target the lower tiers, Why? because their easier to shoot down.

On lower tiers that really doesn't matter much, but 5-8, that's where it REALLY matters and statistically speaking being on the lower tier of the table, you have 10% chance of surviving, but most likely less then 1% because Newbies don't have T7-T8.

Cannot out turn, Cannot out-climb, cannot outgun... Yhe, il not be wasting my time with strangers in that situation.

So I will have to argue on your opening statement and say that in at-least some, if not all cases, you are fundamentally wrong.

SpitfireXVI #58 Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:03 AM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles
Delete, please (accidental double post)

Edited by SpitfireXVI, 15 February 2014 - 10:03 AM.

DrSinister #59 Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:34 PM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 63 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostSpitfireXVI, on 15 February 2014 - 05:00 AM, said:

I nose it 95% of the time, because Im gonna go find a fun match (unless I see familiar faces on my team, then maybe possible il stick it out.)

Its really simple!, im here to have fun!, not go against strangers in obviously superior machines in every single possible way with not just a little advantage, but an outright gross advantage.

When there is say a T3-4 match, I always target the lower tiers, Why? because their easier to shoot down.

On lower tiers that really doesn't matter much, but 5-8, that's where it REALLY matters and statistically speaking being on the lower tier of the table, you have 10% chance of surviving, but most likely less then 1% because Newbies don't have T7-T8.

Cannot out turn, Cannot out-climb, cannot outgun... Yhe, il not be wasting my time with strangers in that situation.

So I will have to argue on your opening statement and say that in at-least some, if not all cases, you are fundamentally wrong.

You do know that OP wrote that back in 1st week of Aug 2013 and that was back in Open Beta?? Heck it was 1 month after Open Beta started and iirc it was before the Altitude Bands became as defined as it is now.

QuickSilver_1 #60 Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:18 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

Parris island 73

semper FI!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users