Simple fix to Ramming -- don't credit any kills!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
165 replies to this topic

dhread #161 Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:13 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [DINO] DINO
It takes two planes to have a mid-air collision. Don't be one of them.
If a target is lining up for a head-on, maneuver out of it.
I love the excerpt above regarding the propeller attack, but this is an exception, not the rule.
Also, kamikaze attacks were a late war option when resources were running low.

If there are no kills *AND NO ADVANTAGE POINTS* awarded for a ram, I think it would become more or a rarity.

I think colliding with a ground target should award a 'kill' and AP's if the target is destroyed, since the *one* pilot involved is (probably) making a choice.

I WANT MY T-50-2 BACK! :angry: 

(yes I did!)

LyssaG #162 Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

Eclectic Dragon

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles

View PostEasyEight, on 06 September 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

Who's getting punished? Nobody. You just don't get a reward.

I think part of the problem is the fallacy of your belief that ramming is being rewarded.  Ramming, is not being rewarded.  Doing damage is being rewarded.  Making a kill is being rewarded.  This is the exact same as if you used your guns to do the same amount of damage and a kill.  The ram itself gives no reward.  In fact, the ram has negative to it, that using guns does not.  Now, you must pay to repair your plane.  Your crew loses out on any XP earned for that battle.  You can no longer contribute to the match, and cannot earn any more XP for that match.  So, let's stop the fallacy that ramming is being rewarded.

Member of DirtyDozen! www.dirtydozengaming.com/
Director of WoWp FRAG! ACE: F4U, Bf 110B, Bf 110E

LyssaG #163 Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

Eclectic Dragon

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles

View Postdhread, on 06 September 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

If there are no kills *AND NO ADVANTAGE POINTS* awarded for a ram, I think it would become more or a rarity.
I doubt it.  There are no advantage points earned when two planes die in a ram.  Or that is to say, neither team gains advantage over the other, as both have lost a plane.  It comes out in the wash so to speak.

I think colliding with a ground target should award a 'kill' and AP's if the target is destroyed, since the *one* pilot involved is (probably) making a choice.
  I agree, except about the choice.  When I am flying mouse, I have found that the "ground suck" phenomenon has taken over my plane and crashed.  That, and packets loss, or some other lag can cause a pilot to crash his plane where he didn't intend to.  I am not saying the choice can't be made, but rather that I am betting most people are not choosing to crash on purpose.

Member of DirtyDozen! www.dirtydozengaming.com/
Director of WoWp FRAG! ACE: F4U, Bf 110B, Bf 110E

_Laserguided_ #164 Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostEasyEight, on 06 September 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

Who's getting punished? Nobody. You just don't get a reward.

If a person is not getting credit for a kill, even if it's a ram kill, that is in fact punishment, even more so if that kill results in a victory. Given your point of view  you should be willing to accept of forfeit for your teammate ramming the last guy. yet I doubt you are willing to go that far.  

Your point of view seems to treat everyone involved in ramming as if their intent is the same.

And if you wish to make a point of poor flying you should extend that across the board, not just single out rammers and everyone else you lumped under that term.

Because it feels to me like you guys would rather play with [edit] Laserguided and that [edit] me off. A [edit]  lot.  -- Auto

"Dont doubt my computer skills,I started with a pentium 2" -- Chuck

Thanks zipper..-- Mars

MalikCarr #165 Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:03 AM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles
The problem of people going head-on at each other, hoping to shoot the other one down before they touch rotors, could be considerably rectified if you could still crash into someone's exploding wreckage. That would mandate peeling off in many circumstances unless you were deliberately trying to take the enemy out by ramming them, not to mention make the sort of extremely close combat that takes place in this game a lot more perilous since a flying piece of wing could ruin your day in a heartbeat.

I imagine some people wouldn't like this idea since WoWP is hard enough as it is, but I'd wager a lot of those people are the same types who don't want to blink in a head-on gunfight because the other person might get an edge then.

GoodGameXXX #166 Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:47 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostEasyEight, on 26 July 2013 - 02:06 PM, said:

Here's one way to "fix" ramming if WoWP won't do something to reduce the actual chance of a ram:

1. Neither player is credited with a "kill" for a plane destroyed in a ram.

2. The player that initiated the ram PAYS for the repairs to the plane they rammed.

So not only would you NOT get a kill for ramming, you end up paying a penalty...so ramming becomes unattractive except as a "Screw you!" anger fit. Sure, you'll still see accidental rams during dogfights and players banging into each other at the start of the game, but the lower tier planes habit of doing Kamikaze rams into higher tier planes would become less frequent.

I see airplane collisions in the same way as parking lot collisions.  The blame is usually between the vehicles involved, but no one is instantly blameless.  So I don't think anyone should have to pay for it. Sometimes the collisions are greed----to get one more bullet in the target, but not intended to be collisions.

De-incentivizing ramming is the way to go in my opinion.  So I agree with not rewarding collision kills.  If the kill had an assist, the assist player should get the kill if they weren't directly part of the collision. Otherwise no one should get the kill. That will totally make ramming non-economical, as it will only lose money.

The other option is to taking ramming out of the game, which would be completely stupid and a bad joke.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users