Possible Work-Around to Memory Leak Client Crashes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

Mercsn #1 Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:11 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2601 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
As the title states, there may be a work-around that helps some people when the game client crashes due to the memory leak bug.

Currently, it appears as though 32 bit (as opposed to 64 bit) windows users with access to only 4 gig of ram are having issues where the memory leak is crashing the game client often, as often as every 5 matches.

I was flighted with a friend who kept crashing, reliably every 4 or 5 games.   On a lark, he tried two things.

1) When killed early in a match (or when killed in a blowout, winning or losing, and he I wouldn't benefit from his help spotting) he would exit to hangar instead of remain in the battle in ride-along mode.

2) Maybe more significantly, after a match was over, he would click over the the Personal Statistics tab of the summary page.  He would do this, then wait a few moments before clicking close and dopping back to hangar.

Whether coincidence or something in the memory usage coding is jammed up in the overall summary page, I cannot say.  I can say that when doing these two things he was able to stay online for many more than five games.  Keep in mind he was RELIABLY crashing after 4 or 5 matches and this was after going through every other optimization he could find on the forums or for his GPU/CPU.

I know WG says the dev studio is working on the leak problem, but based on this experiment, it really appears as if something wasn't "realeasing" while on the first tab of the summary page before dropping back to hangar and when all of that paltry 4gig was used up the client would crash.

It would be interesting to see if other 32bit Windows users with 4 gig ram could try this and correlate or discount these steps as helpful.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

panzer2363 #2 Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:26 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
im having the exact problem with the the exact computer specs! iv sent tickets about this with all that they wanted and they just said thanks we will work on this.

rev01ution #3 Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:21 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Doing this has helped add a lot of stability to the game for me. The only time I crash is post battle, when returning to the hangar. Anyone who has similar crash problems should try this, and let us know if it worked.

19DELTAPAPA4 #4 Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:20 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Before my mobo crashed , i'd play 3 games , sign out ,then sign back in.That worked back in June.

Mercsn #5 Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:26 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2601 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
Bump.

I know there are 32 bit windows users with 4 gig of ram out there who are crashing.  It would be helpful to have more of you try this "fix" and see if it helps reduce the memory leak crashes that 32 bit windows users seem to be plagued with.  This could be useful to the devs for finding, fixing the problem.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!) Might be outdated!

All-in-one thread with 2.0 related guide links.

The below was said to me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

TRIAD4evr #6 Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:23 AM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles
It does seem to happen when I do ride-along rather than going to the hangar. I have submitted a ticket just in case.
Edit: I am using an AMD processor with 3.25 gig of RAM and an ATI Radeon HD 5700 graphics card. I just tried doing the hangar thing between each game and went seven or so bouts before it locked up in the middle of a bout. Also, I am using the 32-bit version of Windows XP.

Edited by TRIAD4evr, 12 August 2013 - 06:03 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users