How do I Upload Large Pics to Forum Posts?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Mercsn #1 Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:32 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 593 battles
  • [CLADS] CLADS

Hi, I've seen this question asked, "how do I post photos?" several times and decided to post this guide because I had to learn the hard way when I started playing WG's other game World of Tanks, as there was no guide there either.

1a)  You will need an online image hosting service.  I use one called Tinypic http://tinypic.com/ becuase it's fast and free with no registrations.  There are others such as imageshack and photobucket, I believe.  You could google "image hosting website" and probably find a bunch, but I've used tinypic.com a lot (they sometimes make you watch a short ad, but I like not having to register).  On this image hosting site, you will upload your screenshot which can be found in Pictures/WoWP folder under THIS PC from the file explorer menu. 

1b)  You can take screenshots while ingame, using the WoWP client's built in screen shot functions.  You can take screen shots of almost any screen, from in battle, in your hangar, or most other screens you might want to capture and share.  You can do this two ways.  First, the [ print screen ]  key will take screenshots including any UI (user interface) elements.  Second, you can use [ pause/break ] key to take a screen shot that will hide any UI elements.  This is great if you're planning to take wallpaper type pics and don't want the UI cluttering up your beautiful airplane. 

2)  Once you've uploaded your pic from your Pictures/WoWP folder to the online image hosting site, they will give you a direct link to the photo (which you could save as a "favorite" in your browser to easily return to if you think you might want quick access again) and they will give you a "forums" link (for TinyPic it's called: IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards and the code will start with [ IMG ]). Just highlight the entire link for a forum post and with the link highlighted, right click your mouse.  Then select "copy" from the menu that comes up when you right click.  (You have now copied that to your windows "clipboard" and can past the link into the WoWP forum!)

3)  In the WoWP forum thread which you want to link the pic in, a polite way to do this is to use the "spoiler" feature which allows readers to load the forum and independently open pics as they go.  In the WoWP editor you are typing your reply in, along the 2nd row where there is Bold, Italics, Underline, etc to choose from, scroll across past the twitter icon, past the chat bubble icon to the page flipping "spoiler" icon.  Click the Spoiler icon and you can insert the spoiler tag

Spoiler

or type it manually. Now, just press [ctrl] + [V] to "paste" the link you copied from your clipboard inbetween the 2 "open spoiler" and "close spoiler" tags and you have your picture posted to the forum in a manor that will let people load the forum and the picture separately.

It looks like this (except no spaces between letters or slash and brackets [ ]:
[ spoiler ]
Http://insertforum-link-here.com
[ /spoiler ]
as you are typing. Hope this helps!

NargilFenris has a guide on how to upload files/pics with your post (without a 3rd party hosting site) here: http://forum.worldof...ch-photosfiles/

GeorgePatton has a graphic/detailed guide on posting pics in the current IP.Board editor herehttp://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/24186-how-to-upload-images-to-the-forum-without-using-your-allotment/page__pid__336029#entry336029

NOTE:  With the IP.Board forum editor software (in use as of this update 3/8/14), many of the little buttons in the menu above the editor window will not work properly with IE (Microsoft Internet Explorer browser software) such as the IMAGE button.  Don't use these buttons while trying to post a pic (or video).  Just paste the IMG code into this text body and your pic should appear. 

Also, with IE, don't try the link button, just paste the hypertext into the text body (the post window you type in) and it will either give you a hypertext link, or the text string that readers can copy/paste if it's a sight WG has blocked from direct linking.

Edited by GhostPrime, 29 March 2017 - 05:48 PM.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!)

To me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

pappabear #2 Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:40 PM

Community Noob

• Community Ace
  • 4937 battles
  • [LIGS] LIGS
http://imgur.com/   this is another hosting site that's free and works good with WOWP

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

hathore #3 Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:46 PM

Captain

• Alpha tester
  • 105 battles
Thanks very much for posting this- it is very helpful!

~Hathore

venser #4 Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:08 AM

Planeswalker

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 394 battles
Yessir, good post. This method will really shorten some of those posts I see in the spelling out contests.
Ace: Fw 57
"If the tanks planes succeed, then victory follows." -Heinz (sort of) Guderian
... still a member of FRAG

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users