Hmm, maybe I should have waited before I plunked down $100... I can't even get through the ...

installation error installation error

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

Zwolfman #1 Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles
This is the 2nd machine that I have tried to install the game on - it 'looks' like it's updating, the little blue bar crawls slowly across the bottom of the screen indicating that it is 'updating game client: installing updates X%' but after a while, when I return to check the progress, I get a 'client failed to install, Retry?' error.

now I thought that perhaps it was specific to the machine I was trying to install it on, being that it was a tablet computer, (ATIV 700t) so, I am now attempting it on my desktop, main gaming rig - it rarely fails to work with any games I throw at it.  I keep drivers updated, and standard, don't over clock, it's a smooth running rig.. but this isn't even about 'running' the game... I can't even get it to install ... grrr.

should I attempt to go the long and arduous route of getting a refund?

the exact error (that just popped up again,) is:

a box, with the title 'Updating game client:'
a big red circle, with a white x in it, and then:

Critical Error.
Failed to install updates.
The application cannot continue.
For details, see log file.

my 'present' course of action is just to assume that I'm too early in the beta process to want to deal with this kind of stuff, maybe I'll wait a month or so and try again - I was  really looking forward to this - as a matter of fact, once upon a time, a few months ago, I think I had it working fine on this same computer....and it seemed really fun.

I think I'll try to do the refund thing, just in case the install issues never get fixed, then give it a go in a month or so - installing and verifying that it works, before I plunk down dollars.  I wouldn't bother with that part, but I know how darn hard it will be if I 'wait' to try to tell visa that the product didn't work for me - best to do that sooner than later I'm thinking.

any simple helps or suggestions for fixing my installation issues?

Thanks.

pappina #2 Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:19 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 15 battles
  • [ARMDA] ARMDA
One word: FAIL! :teethhappy:

NargilFenris #3 Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Senior Alpha Test Veteran
  • 7 battles
Send in a support ticket.

If you were looking for the A-Team I am sorry to inform you that you found the F Troop.

meth0d68 #4 Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 6 battles
Wish I could help man. I never had a problem on my install. I'm sure someone will help you out here.

NathanFlightLeader #5 Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

Flying Kiwi

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
I had a similar problem doing a WoWP update. Check your internet connection is okay!
"It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed."
"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" And "Oh S...!"
"Airspeed, altitude and brains. Two are always needed to successfully complete the flight."
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous.

von_Krimm #6 Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:28 PM

Feedback Airedale

• Community Ace
  • 435 battles
be sure that the box for "torrents" is UNCHECKED; torrents seem to cause no end of grief for some people installing for the first time.  the wrench symbol at the top right will allow you sccess to unchecking the torrents box.
I like my <CENSORED> like I like my <CENSORED> ; aged <CENSORED> to <CENSORED> years and mixed-up with <CENSORED> .If you take fire from the spouse-AA about the former, launch flares and dump chaff: $$$visa$$$amex$$$vonKrimm2.png

triptyx #7 Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:33 PM

Flying Llama

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • [FLLMA] FLLMA

View PostvonKrimm, on 11 July 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

be sure that the box for "torrents" is UNCHECKED; torrents seem to cause no end of grief for some people installing for the first time.  the wrench symbol at the top right will allow you sccess to unchecking the torrents box.

This.

Also, disable antivirus and firewall while downloading/installing and see if that helps.  Some AVs/FWs are really nasty and cause no end of suffering.

Zwolfman #8 Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles
Thanks for the helps - I was wondering, if maybe that 'error' pops up between 'patch clients...' like maybe it fales between .02 and .03, and it's just the non graceful way of getting you to start the update program for each new patch that's come out... but, with no one else experiencing the same thing...

it must be "me" specific.

I'll try a ticket, maybe a un-install, fresh download and install. resting the router etc,

thanks all,  Good first impression of the community here... well with the minor exception of Pappina.

RebelEagle #9 Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Send in a support ticket.
YEAH!!! :playing:
:honoring:

In God We Trust ; All Others We Monitor!!!:sceptic::playing::honoring:

WulfNose #10 Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:08 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Community Ace
  • 570 battles
I had this problem, uninstalled, reinstalled, and it worked. Got good feedback from my support ticket, but the simple method worked. Wulf

GHR1227 #11 Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles

View PostZwolfman, on 11 July 2013 - 04:17 PM, said:

This is the 2nd machine that I have tried to install the game on - it 'looks' like it's updating, the little blue bar crawls slowly across the bottom of the screen indicating that it is 'updating game client: installing updates X%' but after a while, when I return to check the progress, I get a 'client failed to install, Retry?' error.

now I thought that perhaps it was specific to the machine I was trying to install it on, being that it was a tablet computer, (ATIV 700t) so, I am now attempting it on my desktop, main gaming rig - it rarely fails to work with any games I throw at it.  I keep drivers updated, and standard, don't over clock, it's a smooth running rig.. but this isn't even about 'running' the game... I can't even get it to install ... grrr.

should I attempt to go the long and arduous route of getting a refund?

the exact error (that just popped up again,) is:

a box, with the title 'Updating game client:'
a big red circle, with a white x in it, and then:

Critical Error.
Failed to install updates.
The application cannot continue.
For details, see log file.

my 'present' course of action is just to assume that I'm too early in the beta process to want to deal with this kind of stuff, maybe I'll wait a month or so and try again - I was  really looking forward to this - as a matter of fact, once upon a time, a few months ago, I think I had it working fine on this same computer....and it seemed really fun.

I think I'll try to do the refund thing, just in case the install issues never get fixed, then give it a go in a month or so - installing and verifying that it works, before I plunk down dollars.  I wouldn't bother with that part, but I know how darn hard it will be if I 'wait' to try to tell visa that the product didn't work for me - best to do that sooner than later I'm thinking.

any simple helps or suggestions for fixing my installation issues?

Thanks.
Make sure you're installing with administrator rights.
You didn't say which OS you're using.  If it fails to get the correct permissions it can fail.
Right click the installer which brings up a contect menu. Select Run As.
I'm not sure if this needs to be enabled somewhere to show in the context menu though.

Also, you quote the error message and it said to see the log file.  What exactly does the log file say?
If you open a support ticket be sure and attach that file.

Heibges #12 Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 65 battles
I had that same issue behind our corporate firewall at work.  IT opened some additional ports and I was good to go, but not sure what they did.
"If the Healer gets killed it's the Tank's fault.  If the Tank gets killed it's the Healer's fault.  If the DPS get killed it's their own fault." - various

triptyx #13 Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

Flying Llama

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • [FLLMA] FLLMA

View PostHeibges, on 12 July 2013 - 06:08 PM, said:

I had that same issue behind our corporate firewall at work.  IT opened some additional ports and I was good to go, but not sure what they did.

lol - hey boss, can I get some ports opened?

Why?

I feel the need, the need to blow me up some warplanes....

:teethhappy:

capkirk #14 Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:38 PM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles
i just spammed retry until it worked

Toggle #15 Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:20 AM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 4643 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Von Krimm and Triptyx have already supplied the advice I would have given.  If that didn't work for you, here is a guide for submitting a support ticket.  It's a bit different and can be a bit confusing.  This guide will keep the head scratching to a minimum.

http://forum.worldof...h-support-serv/

Good luck with the fix.

Zwolfman #16 Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:29 PM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles
So, just to follow up here.  I kind of think the error stemmed from me trying to install this to a drive other than C.  

I wonder if others are having the issue.  I pulled the log, and saw that the errror was happening when the installation program was trying to write something to the C: drive, when I was trying to install the game on my Z: Drive (physically separate, not just a different partition... if that matters...)

Anyway, my 'work around' was the following:

- Un-install
- Used the  link to 'Download full client to hard drive' which was at the bottom of the main install page.
- Downloaded to C:
- Unzipped to C: (My first down load had a corruption error, so I re-downloaded and that extraction went smoothly,)
-Installed to C:

-logged in and played the game. woot.

Thanks all for the instructions - if it is really an issue with installing to a drive other than C, then I hope it's something they fix, there are a lot of people with SSD's and boot drives out there that will not want to install to their root.

On the flip side, the 'full down load' may have worked fine for me on the Z drive as well - but, since I'm able to play, I really don't want to 'test' that.  Know what I mean?

thanks.

zWolf-out

, see you in the skies soon.

Toggle #17 Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:19 AM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 4643 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Thanks for the update, zWolf.  If we see this again....  And we will.  This will be something else to be checked.

Also tagged with installation error, installation, error

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users