Jump to content


How do you use the back gunner?


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

HunterColts101 #1 Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

    Airman Basic

  • Member
  • 0 battles
  • 1
  • Member since:
    03-10-2012
Moved to appropriate forum
I have been searching and searching and searching for how to shoot using the back gunner. Does anyone know how?

Jinxed_Katajainen #2 Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

    Feedback Airedale

  • Alpha tester
  • 8 battles
  • 2,438
  • Member since:
    01-28-2012
It's automatic.
Long as the enemy is in the gunner's arc of fire, it will fire.

Proof of Ace:TSh-3 (2G), BSh-1 (2G), LBSh (A/2G), IL-2 (2G), IL-2(t) (3G), IL-8 (3G), IL-10 (2G), I-15, I-16 early, I-16 late (2A), P-40 M-105, La-5, Ar 197, Bf.109B, Bf.109C, Bf.109E/F, He.100, Bf109Z, Ao.192 (G), Bf.110B, Me.210, Me.410, P-23, Hawk 75M (2A), P-36 (2A), P-40, P-39, P-51A, F3F, F2A, F4F, 2PA-L, XFL-1, F4U, A6M1, A6M2, A6M5, A7M

16darkmax #3 Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

    Senior Airman

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 2 battles
  • 17
  • Member since:
    05-18-2012
The Rear Gunner Is AI controlled
Looking Forward To World Of Warships ​ :playing:

bearrick #4 Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

    Community Helper

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 589 battles
  • 2,021
  • Member since:
    08-12-2012
The tailgunner fires in a basic cone behind the aircraft.
        tailgunCone.png
Not drawn to scale
Does not include range, which varies with gun type and crew skill
Individual planes may have different vertical and horizontal angles

Any enemy in this cone will be fired upon by the gunner.

401shield.png 401st Bomb Group STICKER US ARMY AIR CORPS 615th Bomb Squadron.jpg 615th Bombardment Squadron


"What kind of a war is this?" - 2nd Lt. Ken Powell



Ground Assault Specialist and TSh-3 master


pyantoryng #5 Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

    Captain

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 5009 battles
  • 3,383
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
Just keep wagging your tail onto your enemy and it would fire.

Earlier tail gun may not have much effect, but later tail guns sure would (e.g. 110E's twin 7.92 or Hornisse's remote guns).

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

lorcan3 #6 Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:18 AM

    Senior Airman

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 77 battles
  • 18
  • Member since:
    09-12-2012
That's a big load of horse puckey if I ever heard of. IT IS_NOT AUTOMATIC!!! I don't know how many times the red planes have chewed my butt up and I'm twisting and turning but no action from the tail gunner. I fiqured out you have to press the Q key for rear view and when an enemy plane comes into view, press T for target lock. The C key does nothing.

Istvan #7 Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:26 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Alpha tester
  • 1 battle
  • 103
  • Member since:
    10-26-2011
As everyone has already stated, it's automatic. The tail gunners over-all effectiveness also has to do with the level of training. In my experience, anything less than 75% and your tail gunner shoots like Mr. Magoo. If all else fails, bribe him with cookies.

Toggle #8 Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:59 AM

    First Lieutenant

  • Alpha tester
  • 6913 battles
  • 2,054
  • Member since:
    02-14-2012

View Postlorcan3, on 19 July 2013 - 07:18 AM, said:

That's a big load of horse puckey if I ever heard of. IT IS_NOT AUTOMATIC!!! I don't know how many times the red planes have chewed my butt up and I'm twisting and turning but no action from the tail gunner. I fiqured out you have to press the Q key for rear view and when an enemy plane comes into view, press T for target lock. The C key does nothing.
Horse puckey, you say!  I've flown all the German heavies, Russian attack and the US 2PA-L planes.  With all, the tail gunner fired at any air target available regardless of what target I had selected or locked.
If locking the target works for you fine, but the AI tail gunner is automatic.

ArkioLite324 #9 Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:59 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 74 battles
  • 165
  • Member since:
    10-25-2012
There seems to be a lot of people asking especially about tail-gunners and how to bomb successfully. WG should create some sort of tutorial to better explain.

Toggle #10 Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:11 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Alpha tester
  • 6913 battles
  • 2,054
  • Member since:
    02-14-2012

View PostArkioLite324, on 19 July 2013 - 07:59 AM, said:

There seems to be a lot of people asking especially about tail-gunners and how to bomb successfully. WG should create some sort of tutorial to better explain.
Here are a couple that cover all aspects of heavy and attack.
http://forum.worldof...hter-operation/
http://forum.worldof...raft-operation/

Zwajo #11 Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

    Master Sergeant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 130 battles
  • 44
  • Member since:
    03-15-2012

View PostToggle, on 19 July 2013 - 07:59 AM, said:

Horse puckey, you say!  I've flown all the German heavies, Russian attack and the US 2PA-L planes.  With all, the tail gunner fired at any air target available regardless of what target I had selected or locked.
If locking the target works for you fine, but the AI tail gunner is automatic.

yes and I have been fined more than once for my gunners rather amazing lack of discretion in green vs red.


Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience. ~ Mark Twain
thanks to _Laserguided_ for the amazing sig!

Irishwind #12 Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:10 PM

    Airman Basic

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 270 battles
  • 4
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
My LBSh got two kills in the first 2 minutes of a game last week.  And he was in the mid 50s for training.

trgtdron #13 Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

    Airman Basic

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • 2
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
I have shot down more people than I can count with rear gunners --its all in how your fly your plane as to how affective the gunner is...As stated, the more experience, the better the auto gunner works........that doesnt exclude lucky hits on an almost dead plane that flew behind you by accident lol............

Bear_82 #14 Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Open Beta Tester
  • 5106 battles
  • 254
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View Posttrgtdron, on 27 July 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

I have shot down more people than I can count with rear gunners --its all in how your fly your plane as to how affective the gunner is...As stated, the more experience, the better the auto gunner works........that doesnt exclude lucky hits on an almost dead plane that flew behind you by accident lol............

or a nearly dead plane that you notice is at your 4 o'clock, and you turn away from him, so he's now in your rear gunner's sight & range while you focus on what's ahead . . .

DGShannon #15 Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:33 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 461 battles
  • 684
  • Member since:
    03-29-2013

View PostBear_82, on 28 July 2013 - 08:30 PM, said:

or a nearly dead plane that you notice is at your 4 o'clock, and you turn away from him, so he's now in your rear gunner's sight & range while you focus on what's ahead . . .
True. Sometimes, your rear gunner is more effective, over a wider arc of fire. In other words, you can get in more hits by turning tail than by turning head on, and you also avoid the ram. Quick thinking required to assess the enemy's health versus your own, but sometimes effective.

eastjc #16 Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:41 AM

    Airman Basic

  • Member
  • 0 battles
  • 3
  • Member since:
    07-11-2013
Also, while you're wagging your tail, you want it down in respect to the enemy.  Most (if not all) of your rear guns shoot around a 35-45 degree angle verticle off the end of your plane.  If the enemy is lower than your fuselage you're gunner is (barely?) smart enough to not shoot through your plane.