• 6370 battles
  • [OTG] OTG
A great guide.  Thank you

Lou #82 Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 7715 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Great guide for newcomers, still relevant.

Bad_Lag #83 Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:49 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 2209 battles
  • [SICK] SICK
Escape route is more important now with the increased damage and range of upward firing guns.

Mercsn #84 Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:38 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 593 battles
  • [CLADS] CLADS

This STILL isn't stickied again??

+1 Crash,

-1 WG (tadaaah) for unpinning this great guide.

All the Important Thread Links (go here for answers!)

To me (Mercsn), from a concerned player:

Edited, on 12 March - 2:01PM , said:

and PS...play more, forum less.  Your opinion might be more credible.

Neo_27 #85 Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:34 AM

Airman Basic

• 3272 battles
Well, as a newcomer in this community I would like to make my very first post congratulating this guide, I think it will help me so... Thanks a lot and GREAT job !!

CrashTailspin #86 Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:30 PM

Squadron Lead / Wargaming Stunt Pilot

• Senior Alpha Test Veteran
  • 6223 battles

Friendly Bump, seeing as how (since I've started playing again) I see more and more CONTENT DELETED players displaying worse than lackluster ability with heavy fighters.

And yes, this used to be pinned.  A previous Forum Manager-type person un-pinned this, since it was apparently "old info".  However, these tactics are still very much applicable to the game, and any heavy fighter you fly, from the meager AGO to the P-38s to the 109Z and above.

You must not question "The Forum Laws".  Any questioning of "The Forum Laws" results in automatic removal and / or locking of any post, regardless of the level of constructiveness or thought provocation.

Pogo68 #87 Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:31 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 17899 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

Re Tailgunner killing things

Yes they can.

In particular the Beaufighter has a very effective tailgunner, especially after it's been upgraded to the quad gun turret.

And the IL-20 and 40 are just hellacious, they'll kill pretty much any plane if you give them enough time.

In one match I got bounced by an IL-40 and my IL-40 tailgunner reduced it for full health to 0 because after the initial pass I was able to keep it in the tailgunner's firing arc while staying just outside it's own forward firing arc.

Also

It's easier to move your heavy/Ground attack aircraft out of the attacking aircraft's forward firing arc if your closer to it.

Angles, go figure.

DICTA BOELCKE for WoWP
    1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking.
    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent, and never let yourself be deceived by ruses
    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try run away from his attack, but fly to meet it
    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
    8. It is better to attack in groups of four or six. Avoid two aircraft attacking the same opponent

MagusGerhardt #88 Posted 26 June 2016 - 12:47 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7661 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostCrashTailspin, on 25 June 2016 - 12:30 PM, said:

Friendly Bump, seeing as how (since I've started playing again) I see more and more CONTENT DELETED players displaying worse than lackluster ability with heavy fighters.

And yes, this used to be pinned.  A previous Forum Manager-type person un-pinned this, since it was apparently "old info".  However, these tactics are still very much applicable to the game, and any heavy fighter you fly, from the meager AGO to the P-38s to the 109Z and above.

The accused former Community Manager wasn't qualified to supervise a soft serve icecream dispenser.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

SystemRename_999888 #89 Posted 26 June 2016 - 08:59 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 22999 battles

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 25 June 2016 - 08:47 PM, said:

The accused former Community Manager wasn't qualified to supervise a soft serve icecream dispenser.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

And yet... bad rubbish is still a part of the explanation of what got us to where we are now, where we're still expected to choke down more "not enough bandwidth" rubbish while portions of the forum have been abjectly neglected for literally years.

And if we want to start tightening down the chinstraps on this particular foil hat, it starts to seems that WGNA knew what was coming and deliberately abandoned this thing while it was still in gestation.

This game in NA is the crack baby of WG.  :(

A deeper understanding of the difference between a fad and a fashion statement will enable you to win a fashion fueled guessing game. 

MagusGerhardt #90 Posted 26 June 2016 - 02:31 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7661 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
So...are you saying that Hathore (good CM) was replaced by Tadaaah (terrible awful no good very bad CM) in order to help tank the game?

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

SystemRename_999888 #91 Posted 26 June 2016 - 07:36 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 22999 battles

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 26 June 2016 - 10:31 AM, said:

So...are you saying that Hathore (good CM) was replaced by Tadaaah (terrible awful no good very bad CM) in order to help tank the game?

Couldn't speculate about that particular aspect, though I didn't think much of Hathore.  I'm just saying they knew this game stunk very early on and consciously decided to commit only limited numbers of their least experienced people.

And now the reverse is true too -- any employee with any sense has decided to stay as far away from this game as possible.

A deeper understanding of the difference between a fad and a fashion statement will enable you to win a fashion fueled guessing game. 

MagusGerhardt #92 Posted 26 June 2016 - 08:16 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7661 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostBotCDR, on 26 June 2016 - 12:36 PM, said:

And now the reverse is true too -- any employee with any sense has decided to stay as far away from this game as possible.

Yet so many players can be depended upon to never leave.  Even if they stop playing.  :teethhappy:

SystemRename_999888 #93 Posted 27 June 2016 - 01:41 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 22999 battles

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 26 June 2016 - 04:16 PM, said:

Yet so many players can be depended upon to never leave.  Even if they stop playing.  :teethhappy:

MagusGerhardt #94 Posted 27 June 2016 - 02:36 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7661 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostBotCDR, on 26 June 2016 - 06:41 PM, said:

Oh, wasn't talking about you, man.  Sorry if you took it that way.  Just didn't want to name names, but you can figure out who is filling Heh's shoes these days, jacking up their post counts while maintaining zero connection to the game.

SystemRename_999888 #95 Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:09 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 22999 battles

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 26 June 2016 - 10:36 PM, said:

Oh, wasn't talking about you, man.  Sorry if you took it that way.  Just didn't want to name names, but you can figure out who is filling Heh's shoes these days, jacking up their post counts while maintaining zero connection to the game.

Heh was a buffoon who never even played a single battle in launch (or even beta?) yet would give advice walls of text to players so I have a hard time imagining who you're referring to who's that comparably ridiculous.

In any case, I've never understood this "Your opinions don't matter if you don't currently play" mentality.  Thousands upon thousands of people have tried and quit this game, and if WG/WGNA had any sense they would be especially interested in their opinions because if even a small fraction of them came back our pop. could easily double overnight.  Those people should be encouraged to stick around and participate in the discussion, not be run off by the forum elitists. 

Njourour #96 Posted 27 June 2016 - 02:33 PM

• 52 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

Please remember to be polite to one another even if you do not agree with one another and please stay on the topic.

wot30.png

Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories .

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, 

Signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed .

MagusGerhardt #97 Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:40 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7661 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostNjourour, on 27 June 2016 - 07:33 AM, said:

Please remember to be polite to one another even if you do not agree with one another and please stay on the topic.

What are the chances this good resource can get its sticky status back?  I've reported it for sticky multiple times.

SystemRename_999888 #98 Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:22 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 22999 battles

View PostNjourour, on 27 June 2016 - 10:33 AM, said:

Is this in the wrong thread?  Everyone here is being perfectly congenial.  It's not our fault -- nor is even it any secret -- that several employees assigned to this game were conspicuously removed or dismissed.  Nor is it any secret that the single most prolific poster in this forums never played a single battle in launch.  If that's upsetting to you please take it up with your friendly CM team, since it's their doing and not ours.

I also fail to see how an inclusive attitude that dissatisfied players should be allowed to be included in discussion could even possibly be construed as impolite.

MagusGerhardt #99 Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:53 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7661 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostBotCDR, on 27 June 2016 - 09:22 PM, said:

I also fail to see how an inclusive attitude that dissatisfied players should be allowed to be included in discussion could even possibly be construed as impolite.

Well.  There's Texthor.  And despite him actively playing I see no reason to include him in any conversation where I want to get something done or discussed.

I also don't see many dissatisfied or inactive players these days that are interested in a discussion.  Most are just gadflies with their drive-by posting, though there are quite a few good exceptions.

GhostPrime #100 Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:51 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 1540 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

View PostCrashTailspin, on 25 June 2016 - 11:30 AM, said:

Hey Crash! Long time, man! 

I will re-pin this thread. I'm not sure how/when it was un-pinned. In addition, I am closing this thread. If you would like to discuss heavies, by all means, please do. Just in another thread. 

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

Also tagged with midtier, heavy, fighter, success, aircraft, 110, 210, 410, 109Z

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users