Guide to Successful Heavy Fighter Operation

midtier heavy fighter success aircraft 110 210 410 109Z

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
99 replies to this topic

GoodGameXXX #21 Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:01 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
If all else fails (i.e. the enemy pursuers are faster than you), then try to steer towards a group of friendlies (ground/airplanes) and hope that shakes the pursuers.

shwedor #22 Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:12 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles

View PostAlexVandross, on 22 June 2013 - 05:03 AM, said:

Ask Zipstor. He died in his 209 against my F4U with a bomb. It fell on him AND a double target.

I never said they die regularly to bombs. Heck, they don't die regularly at all..

You're grasping at straws here, shwedor.

In fact, you yourself have chosen me and pappabear for a flight, several times.. and seen just how effective the art of bomb killing is. You are so single minded that you thought then that bombs were only capable of catching chasers... When you saw me triple kill 3 fighters diving down (head on dive) to my IL-20, you were laughing your butt off when I hit a 90 degree sharp turn and they all curved right into it.

Ever since then, you had even more respect for me as an invitable pilot.

Evasion, evasion, evasion... that's all I read here. I saw how many times you darted into the ground, I didn't see anything to show a great reason for mounting bombs. And I don't laugh, seeing as I don't have a microphone. Good try though.

If you really feel your tactics work, prove it in a competitive match. I do believe your tactics to be ineffective.
Not a poser P51A troll but around 145+ games, 90% win rate, too many to count kills.
Overall: 2300+ games, 85% win rate, 5.3k+ air kills
Potato Team Member - (1st place in all Air Raids and North American tournaments)

http://forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/topic/4478-wargaming-na-for-wowp-completely-incompetent/#entry79586

CrashTailspin #23 Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:38 AM

Squadron Lead / Wargaming Stunt Pilot

• Senior Alpha Test Veteran
  • 46 battles
Guys, quit clogging the thread.

Either throw down the gauntlet and go into a training room, or banter elsewhere.

You must not question "The Forum Laws".  Any questioning of "The Forum Laws" results in automatic removal and / or locking of any post, regardless of the level of constructiveness or thought provocation.

CrashTailspin #24 Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:08 AM

Squadron Lead / Wargaming Stunt Pilot

• Senior Alpha Test Veteran
  • 46 battles

View PostAlexVandross, on 22 June 2013 - 05:30 AM, said:

My stats say otherwise. Obviously, you didn't verbally laugh.. you were just lol'ing and such.

I don't think you wanna get into a stat war with shwedor, Alex.  Without laying out an AdmiralKird-style analysis, suffice to say that he's got a 5.13 K/D ratio and more kills in fewer battles (by over 4,000 fewer battles).

We all know that you really enjoy this game, but at an average of 41 battles per day since account creation, I think it's time to go see daylight.  Even at an average of only 5 minutes per battle, that's still almost 3 1/2 hours per day, every day.  This isn't meant as a "ZOMG he plays so much!", as more of a "take a step back, re-evaluate your priorities" approach.  That's a LOT of time to devote to a game.  Make sure the more important things in life (health, family, etc.) are being prioritized appropriately.  Just watching out for your bottom line, dude.

You must not question "The Forum Laws".  Any questioning of "The Forum Laws" results in automatic removal and / or locking of any post, regardless of the level of constructiveness or thought provocation.

caeman #25 Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:47 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Great guide.  I have been trying to use the included info for more effective heavy fighter operations and it is paying off.  It is a nice feeling being able to dive down and boom an enemy.  My first Ace was in a Bf 110B.

Clan JTF-L is recruiting! We welcome veterans and new players alike that are committed to developing and executing good game-play skills, team work, and a competitive spirit.  The ability to use TeamSpeak is a must, as we value real-time voice for coordination and general chat during downtime.  We are also developing a junior division to allow the children of Clan members to join in the fun and competition.  A family that shoots tanks together, stays together.  If this is something you have been looking for, check us out.

Toggle #26 Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:11 AM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 55 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postcaeman, on 23 June 2013 - 03:47 AM, said:

Great guide.  I have been trying to use the included info for more effective heavy fighter operations and it is paying off.  It is a nice feeling being able to dive down and boom an enemy.  My first Ace was in a Bf 110B.
Congrats on your Ace, Caeman.  And you 500th battle.

W1Z22 #27 Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 22 battles
thanks for making this!!

TheWhiteRaven #28 Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:22 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 196 battles
Question: what control method do most of the good folks use?

Joystick just ain't doin' it for me, and keyboard doesn't have the fine control I need. Mouse 4.1 is KINDA making more sense, but is still so damned weird, and whenever I get into any kind of actual fighting, the more rapid movements tend to send me directly into the ground.

The only real complaints I have with regular mouse are the damned camera locking up occasionally and not being able to stay smooth in turns or when diving and trying to stay on target (obviously critical absent the 4x30mm cannons of Zee-doom).

Any suggestions?

Moved to separate topic here: http://forum.worldof...control-scheme/

Edited by JFitzDela, 24 June 2013 - 06:39 PM.

White Raven Gaming - a Community for Gamers that Play Hard and With a Sense of Humor

Find us on YouTube (search White Raven Gaming) for Ace matches, funny moments, and tips and tricks!

Creator of WoWP Flight Log (wowpflights.com), a replay site for World of Warplanes

Quibunda #29 Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:34 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Rear gunner can be very usefull. Just keep in mind where it  can shoot.
Fighters have a lot less life than you, just keep turning to avoid enemy fire and keeping them on your aim.
Lift the nose a bit, alternate turns when they get out of firing solutions.

Of course it works when persued, and by only 1 aircraft. Short range also adds to accuracy.

Can also be usefull when you barely killed an enemy in a pass.

Chappowinner #30 Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:54 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 185 battles

View PostCrashTailspin, on 19 June 2013 - 05:09 AM, said:

With reference to tail gunner's effectiveness:

This is dependent on a number of variables.  Things like range to the enemy, enemy type and tier, rear weapon caliber, if you or the enemy is maneuvering, etc. all factor into how much damage a rear gunner delivers.  Typically, the best situation for a tail gunner to deal maximum damage is when you're in a steady-state high-pitch climb, the enemy is relatively close (within ~500ft and NOT hitting you), and not maneuvering much as well.  However, this position leaves you precariously close to  being shot down by the pursuer.  As a rule, I don't rely on my tail gunner to kill enemy aircraft.  If they do some damage, that's great.  If they even get a kill, all the better.  But compared to your frontal firepower, the tail gun is just an added bonus.

With reference to using bombs as a defensive weapon:

We need to go back to the Heavy Fighter's main assets:  Speed, Boost Duration, and Climb Rate.  All of these assets take a serious hit when external ordinance is carried.  While the aircraft statistics aren't "set in stone" numbers, they give a good representation as to what happens to an aircraft's performance when bombs are equipped:

Messerschmitt Bf.110B

STATISTIC.............................CLEAN........SC250 X2...............PERFORMANCE LOSS
Max Airspeed @ SL.................. 307 mph ....... 285 mph ........................ 22 mph
Max Airspeed @ Optimum Alt......... 342 mph ....... 317 mph ........................ 25 mph
Rate of Climb .................... 96.7 fps ...... 82.6 fps ...................... 14.1 fps

Avg. time to turn 360 deg ........ 29.9 sec ...... 33.6 sec ....................... 3.7 sec
Controllability .................. 89 ............ 78 ............................ 11

Messerschmitt Bf.110E

STATISTIC.............................CLEAN........SC500 X2............PERFORMANCE LOSS
Max Airspeed @ SL.................. 306 mph ....... 273 mph .................... 33 mph
Max Airspeed @ Optimum Alt......... 350 mph ....... 312 mph .................... 38 mph
Rate of Climb ................... 108.9 fps ...... 84.3 fps .................. 24.6 fps

Avg. time to turn 360 deg ........ 33.9 sec ...... 41.5 sec ................... 7.6 sec

Controllability................... 89 ............ 73 ........................ 16

As you can see, equipping external ordinance has a significant effect on performance, and gets worse as the ordinance gets heavier.  Not only does it effect the aircraft's ability to climb to a preferrable attack altitude, but also restricts the ability of a Heavy Fighter to climb away from a potential threat.  Also, it reduces the aircraft's maneuverability, slowing down its turn rate and reducing the aircraft's controllability (effectiveness of the controls to instantaneous movement).  This "double gimp" can easily reduce the Heavy Fighter to a Heavy Target.

Attempting to keep a bomb on-board as a "just in case" defensive weapon is simply not the best idea.  If you wish to attack ground targets, then by all means, attack ground targets.  But remember, any additional ordinance carried on the airframe will reduce all of the characteristics that give the Heavy Fighter its strengths.

Also, the "Defensive Bomb Kill" is a very situation-dependent maneuver.  It requires several things to happen:
  • At least one enemy on your tail and relatively close (~500ft or closer, depending on the bomb carried)
  • Relatively close to the ground (so the bomb will impact and the resulting explosion will destroy the pursuer(s) )
  • A flight path that the enemy pursuer(s) will be able to follow into the bomb blast

This guide was created to provide tactics in which players could use them in nearly every situation, not just one specific situation.  Effective piloting comes from a strong basis of knowledge, and that comes from a solid foundation and understanding of overall tactics, rather than specific scenarios.

Final thought - the Bf.110G-2's (up-engined 110E) maximum loaded weight was approximately 17,158lbs.  This included any external munitions, such as a pair of SC500 bombs (500 x 2.2 x 2 = 2,200lbs).  Reducing the maximum weight by 2,200lbs amounts to a nearly 13% weight reduction.  Without going into multi-engine performance characteristics, suffice to say that a 13% reduction in weight is HUGE.

Yeah interesting to note, I used to drop my payload straight away at the start of the battle to get the performance back, unfortunately that game where I got the 3 I was set upon early so hadnt dropped it yet, thought id try the 241 lol tactic.

Im on the ME410 atm and that thing is just vicious, im running with rockets as I dont think they cause to much of a performance loss, well none that ive noticed considerably

Is the tier 10 worth the grind though? Good for a laugh?
Aces since release - BF109B, BF109E, BF109F, BF109Z, I16(e), I-15bis DM-2, BF110B, BF110C-6, Bristol Beaufighter, Mosquito

InventorOfEvil #31 Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 14 battles
I really love the concept of the Heavy Fighter but I am doing extremely poorly when I play them. I'm currenting trying to learn on the AGO AO 192 and the Fw 57.

It seems that often times in the early match, I can't climb high enough. With the Fw 57 I seem to commonly get to 1300 meters before we encounter our first enemies, but they're pretty much right up there with me. Once those fighters spot me, they engage and I'm doomed, so I have a few questions in the hopes of improving my game.

1. Fighters. I can't seem to do anything once they're on my tail. Trying to dive/climb seems to do nothing, as often they keep up with me with ease. Should I be losing a little bit of airspeed on my climb, but still gaining altitude? I haven't quite found a happy medium there. Moreover, how much should I be maneuvering? I often times feel like a turn will cause me to die, but more often than not, simply trying to out run them by staying flat, climbing or diving, seems to give my pursuers an easy target.

2. Target selection: How long should I be taking to select a target? I can't seem to decide on a good one, as it seems as though many of my potential targets are fighters and are engaged in a turn fight. I might line-up a target and be descending only to have to shift my trajectory drastically, which screws me entirely. What do I do in these situations?

Also, what altitude should I be diving from? It seems like altitude is a double edged sword: Too high and I'm protected from enemies, but a dive takes too long and my targets have shifted by the time I arrive. Too low and the opposite has happened. What's a happy medium?

Heh #32 Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:42 PM

Sky Whale Historian

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostInventorOfEvil, on 15 July 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

I really love the concept of the Heavy Fighter but I am doing extremely poorly when I play them. I'm currenting trying to learn on the AGO AO 192 and the Fw 57.

It seems that often times in the early match, I can't climb high enough. With the Fw 57 I seem to commonly get to 1300 meters before we encounter our first enemies, but they're pretty much right up there with me. Once those fighters spot me, they engage and I'm doomed, so I have a few questions in the hopes of improving my game.

1. Fighters. I can't seem to do anything once they're on my tail. Trying to dive/climb seems to do nothing, as often they keep up with me with ease. Should I be losing a little bit of airspeed on my climb, but still gaining altitude? I haven't quite found a happy medium there. Moreover, how much should I be maneuvering? I often times feel like a turn will cause me to die, but more often than not, simply trying to out run them by staying flat, climbing or diving, seems to give my pursuers an easy target.

2. Target selection: How long should I be taking to select a target? I can't seem to decide on a good one, as it seems as though many of my potential targets are fighters and are engaged in a turn fight. I might line-up a target and be descending only to have to shift my trajectory drastically, which screws me entirely. What do I do in these situations?

Also, what altitude should I be diving from? It seems like altitude is a double edged sword: Too high and I'm protected from enemies, but a dive takes too long and my targets have shifted by the time I arrive. Too low and the opposite has happened. What's a happy medium?

The Kurier and Fw 57 are to be played like medium bombers. It's only until the Bf 110B that you start really getting into the style.
Heh - aeromarine biologist

View Posthahiha, on , said:

OMG Heh you have had so many posts O_O

Koujinoc #33 Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:22 PM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles

View PostInventorOfEvil, on 15 July 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

View PostHeh, on 15 July 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

The Kurier and Fw 57 are to be played like medium bombers. It's only until the Bf 110B that you start really getting into the style.

I've had success with AO 192 by taking a few steps:

1. Still climb at the beginning (if you are in a Tier 4 battle with it.  Your options will be limited but you can still climb and be successful).  When climbing don't go straight up (this aircraft has a nasty habit of when you get close to vertical it just keeps pitching up and flips around).  Instead I take about a 60 degree angle.  I'll bleed airspeed but  I gain the altitude and I'm ok with this because...

2.Be patient - Especially in a tier 4 battle its best when everyone else is engaged and then to slash through the combat zone.  Taking a 60 degree angle and bleeding the airspeed will help with letting the battle get started before you get there and hopefully the pesky fighters will have already engaged other targets (I am NOT saying leave your teammates hanging out in the wind).

3.Choose....wisely - Understand the aircraft mix on the enemy team and identify the aircraft that will give you the most trouble BF109's come to mind. Understand that with a combination of proximity and current situation to choose a target that you can hit.  You may need to change targets in your dive based on what's in front of you but that's ok because you do not want to start a radical maneuver mid dive in order to follow a target that has left your flight path/effective area.  This will bleed your increasing airspeed and make you a sitting duck when you climb out again or worse get you into an unrecoverable situation (read: ground + plane = boom!)

4. DON'T PANIC - When you are done with your attack pull out and stick to the plan.  It's easy to panic but when you don't you can work your situation from a bad situation into an even fight or swing it back to your advantage by sticking to the plan and understanding your enemy.  NOTE: Sometimes you won't be able to get out of a bad situation by doing this especially if you come against vastly superior fighters, the trick here is to evaluate how you got into this position in the first place, what decision brought you into this situation and what do you need to do differently the next time.

#3 is the trick as this all comes down to decision making and knowledge of your fighter and enemy fighters.  Unfortunately this can take some time but stick with it.  It will pay off.  Hopefully this helps.

I do agree with Heh that the AO192 is not the most well suited for the task though. It's kinda like your penance for all the destruction your going to cause later once you get the 110.

Edited by Koujinoc, 15 July 2013 - 03:24 PM.

InventorOfEvil #34 Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:30 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 14 battles

View PostKoujinoc, on 15 July 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

I've had success with AO 192 by taking a few steps:

1. Still climb at the beginning (if you are in a Tier 4 battle with it.  Your options will be limited but you can still climb and be successful).  When climbing don't go straight up (this aircraft has a nasty habit of when you get close to vertical it just keeps pitching up and flips around).  Instead I take about a 60 degree angle.  I'll bleed airspeed but  I gain the altitude and I'm ok with this because...

2.Be patient - Especially in a tier 4 battle its best when everyone else is engaged and then to slash through the combat zone.  Taking a 60 degree angle and bleeding the airspeed will help with letting the battle get started before you get there and hopefully the pesky fighters will have already engaged other targets (I am NOT saying leave your teammates hanging out in the wind).

3.Choose....wisely - Understand the aircraft mix on the enemy team and identify the aircraft that will give you the most trouble BF109's come to mind. Understand that with a combination of proximity and current situation to choose a target that you can hit.  You may need to change targets in your dive based on what's in front of you but that's ok because you do not want to start a radical maneuver mid dive in order to follow a target that has left your flight path/effective area.  This will bleed your increasing airspeed and make you a sitting duck when you climb out again or worse get you into an unrecoverable situation (read: ground + plane = boom!)

4. DON'T PANIC - When you are done with your attack pull out and stick to the plan.  It's easy to panic but when you don't you can work your situation from a bad situation into an even fight or swing it back to your advantage by sticking to the plan and understanding your enemy.  NOTE: Sometimes you won't be able to get out of a bad situation by doing this especially if you come against vastly superior fighters, the trick here is to evaluate how you got into this position in the first place, what decision brought you into this situation and what do you need to do differently the next time.

#3 is the trick as this all comes down to decision making and knowledge of your fighter and enemy fighters.  Unfortunately this can take some time but stick with it.  It will pay off.  Hopefully this helps.

I do agree with Heh that the AO192 is not the most well suited for the task though. It's kinda like your penance for all the destruction your going to cause later once you get the 110.

Awesome, thanks for the pointers! I'm going to give them a whirl tonight and see what I can make of it.

I certainly don't mind being patient and sticking with it; it helped me succeed in WoT and I'm sure it will here, thanks.

Heh #35 Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:55 PM

Sky Whale Historian

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostInventorOfEvil, on 16 July 2013 - 02:30 AM, said:

Awesome, thanks for the pointers! I'm going to give them a whirl tonight and see what I can make of it.

I certainly don't mind being patient and sticking with it; it helped me succeed in WoT and I'm sure it will here, thanks.

Trust me, once you get the 110B, you'll start laughing at how high you can climb.
Heh - aeromarine biologist

View Posthahiha, on , said:

OMG Heh you have had so many posts O_O

tahee59 #36 Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN
I think op might have been talkin about heavy german planes not ussr heavys

tahee59 #37 Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [VULCN] VULCN
p.s. I have gotten some good flyers w/ bombs , it just if they take your bait or not

doggydady #38 Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:15 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Great guide! Gave me a couple of good pointers. i had a tendency to stay level after initial attack. Would still get away and turn to pick another target but you givevyourself more options if you gain altitude. I actually wrote on a piece of paper "Climb stupid!" and taped it on my screen :).

Anyway, good stuff!

-Getting nose bleeds above 20 meters.

Tjar69 #39 Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Great Post!!  I have killed 3 planes with one bomb before when they get on my tail I would put on the brakes and let them get 300-400 ft. away then BOOOOM!!! They really hate that.LOL

x3DavidJ #40 Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:10 AM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles
Thanks a lot,it helps! xD  :honoring:

Also tagged with midtier, heavy, fighter, success, aircraft, 110, 210, 410, 109Z

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users