• This topic is locked This topic is locked
99 replies to this topic

CrashTailspin #1 Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

Squadron Lead / Wargaming Stunt Pilot

• Senior Alpha Test Veteran
  • 6242 battles

CrashTailspin's Guide to Successful Heavy Fighter Operation

Hey everyone!

This guide was written to give players some tips, hints, and tactics to get the most effective use out of their heavy fighters.  Note:  I said Heavy Fighters, not "bombers".  These aircraft were not specifically designed to fly straight and level like a heavy bomber.  With their speed and potent armament, they excel in high-speed slashing attacks against even the most armored aircraft.  However, this speed and firepower comes at a price:  reduced maneuverability.  The following information will help you maximize your heavy fighter's strong points while minimizing its weaknesses.

Rule 1:  GET ALTITUDE!
At the beginning of a match, nearly all aircraft start at very close to the same altitude.  Most players choose to remain at the altitude they start at, too.  However, gaining altitude at the beginning of a match gives you several advantages, especially in a Heavy Fighter:
  • It gives you a better vantage point of the battle map.
  • It allows you to better choose which target you want to attack.
  • It acts as stored energy (since diving converts altitude into airspeed).
  • A diving attack gives an enemy less of an opportunity to mount a counter-attack
An efficient method of gaining altitude is to enter a boost-assisted climb at a constant airspeed.  This allows you to gain altitude without reducing your most important asset - your speed.  However, you do not want to exhaust all of your boost in the initial climb.  I recommend using at most 50% of your boost.  This allows you to attain a respectable altitude while conserving the rest of your boost for potential egress climbs (more on that later).

Rule 2:  PICK AN APPROPRIATE TARGET
Once at an effective altitude, targets will start to appear.  You may be tempted to engage the first target you see, but I would advise against it.  Look around first and determine which target would be best to engage first.  Here's a few characteristics of proper targets to engage first:
  • Aircraft which are unaware of your presence or are currently occupied.  Tell-tale signs of this are aircraft flying in a straight line or on a ground attack run.
  • Aircraft that are weaker and / or have less firepower (think Japanese fighters / I-16s / lower-tier fighters).  Tehese fighters can typically be destroyed in a single pass and at longer range (due to your cannon) if engaged early and adequate hits are maintained.
  • An aircraft carrying ordinance.  External ordinance weighs an aircraft down and adds drag, reducing its maneuverability and top speed.  Also, these aircraft are more likely to be focued on attack ground targets, taking their attention away from incoming enemy attackers (see previous tip under this rule).
Occasionally, you will encounter fighters at your altitude.  If this is the case, stop boosting (if you are - you want the most time for your guns to be on-target), aim true, fire as soon as the lead indicator shows up, don't let off the trigger, and plan to break off early if you don't take out the target in time to avoid a collision.  ALWAYS ATTEMPT TO AVOID A COLLISION!  You don't do your team any good if you die in a head-on collision.

Rule 3:  ATTACK IN A HIGH-SPEED PASS / AVOID THE TURNFIGHT
Once you've chosen an appropriate target, it's time to start your attack run.  From your altitude advantage, dive down on your target, and open fire once they're in range.  Here's some tips to achieve maximum damage to the (hopefully) unsuspecting target:
  • Try not to overshoot!  Heavy fighters are fast, but you'll do yourself no good if you pass your target before you destroy it.  To avoid this, reduce your throttle (if you have a joystick), or flat-out idle your throttle (keyboard / mouse users) to avoid gaining too much airspeed in your dive.  Also, every aircraft has an "effective speed range".  Overspeeding this range makes the aircraft sluggish to respond to control inputs, potentially causing you to dive right into the ground (and that's bad).
  • Once you're in range of the target (your lead indicator gets brighter), start firing and DON'T LET UP until you either destroy the target or egress from the attack.  Enemy aircraft left at 1% health can still deal damage.  Better to finish them off then to leave them damaged.
  • Try at all costs to stay out of a turning engagement.  Heavy Fighters are large, heavy aircraft - nowhere near as light or nimble as their Light Fighter or Carrier-Borne Fighter counterparts.  As such, they cannot turn as well, and are easy prey if caught in a turning engagment.

Rule 4:  EGRESS THE AREA IN A CLIMB
After your attack run, it's time to get out of the engagement, get some range from the enemy, so you can turn around safely and re-engage.  Here's some tips to effectively re-engage with success:
  • After your attack run is through, enter a climb at about a 45 degree angle (it doesn't have to be perfect).  This helps accomplish two things - DISTANCE FROM THE ENEMY and ALTITUDE ABOVE THE ENEMY.
    • Too steep of a climb doesn't provide enough distance from the enemy (and reduces your airspeed too much).
    • Too shallow of a climb doesn't allow for enough altitude above the enemy to re-engage in a diving attack.
  • Once the area is clear (typically ~2,400ft / ~800m from the previous target) and no other enemies are immediately near, turn to either re-engage or pick a new target and repeat the process.

Rule 5:  FIGHT ON YOUR TERMS
Eventually, you WILL get an enemy on your tail.  However, do not fret.  There are several tactics which work particularly well against enemy pursuers:
  • If you've got boost (and you should), USE IT!  Enter a fairly steep climb and hit the boost.  Most fighters have only half the boost duration that Heavy Fighters do, and are somewhat slower as well.  This combination allows you to pull away from an enemy in a climb.  Enter your boost climb, and once the enemy is around ~2,400ft / ~800m, turn around to re-engage your new target.
  • If you're out of boost, get some altitude while keeping as much airspeed as you can and find some friendly fighters.  The F7 key is the default macro for "Clear My Tail!", and puts a little "SOS" above your aircraft for friendlies to see, letting them know that you've got an enemy on your tail, and need some help shaking him.
  • If friendlies are in short supply, try to find some friendly ground targets.  Friendly targets quite often have at least one (and sometimes multiple) AA guns, which can damage the enemy.  The friendly base is full of them, and when loitered over, can significantly damage (or even destroy) an enemy fighter.
  • Remember, whatever you do, AVOID A TURNING ENGAGEMENT!  As previously stated, Heavy Fighters don't work too well in a turning battle.  If you see an enemy attempting to lure you into a steep turning battle, get into your egress climb, boost away, and if need be, completely avoid engaging the more maneuverable fighter.

Rule 6:  BOMB EARLY, BOMB QUICKLY
Let's review a couple concepts in regard to external ordinance and ground attack concepts (for a better review, check out my Guide to Successful Low-Tier Attack Aircraft Operation):
  • External oridnance (i.e. Bombs and Rockets) add additional weight and drag, reducing maneuverability, acceleration, and top speed.
  • Heavy Fighters are NOT armored like similarly-tiered Russian Ground Attack aircraft
  • Heavy Fighters do not receive as much camoflage bonus a Ground Attack aircraft when they fly at low altitude
  • A Heavy Fighter's optimum altitude is typically not low-level

With these concepts in mind, it's beneficial for Heavy Fighters that are carrying bombs to rush to the target they're attacking, drop their bombs, and then do what they do best - fast, slashing attacks.  If you're carrying bombs and looking for targets to hit, here are my recommendations:
  • Get to your optimum altitude and gain airspeed.  This gets you to your target faster than diving to the deck, where your aircraft doesn't operate as well.
  • Stay at altitude until you find a target to your liking.  Once you're close, enter a dive until you see the bomb reticule on-target.  Once on-target, drop your bomb (or bombs), find a new target, drop your bombs again, and regain altitude.
  • ALWAYS BE AWARE OF ENEMY FIGHTERS!  Even though you're at altitude, you're typically going to be flying in a straight line, which makes you an easy target.  If you see an enemy approaching (other than head-on), do not be afraid to dump your bombs and run.  Staying alive outweighs dying after taking out a single ground target.

TO SUMMARIZE

Use speed an altitude to your advantage.

Avoid entering a turning engagement.

If using bombs, get to your target early.

Remember, each battle is different.  What works in one may not work in another.  These rules and tips are general in nature and are not meant for any specific engagement.

Good luck, and happy hunting!

You must not question "The Forum Laws".  Any questioning of "The Forum Laws" results in automatic removal and / or locking of any post, regardless of the level of constructiveness or thought provocation.

Schultz #2 Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

Guide Guru

• Community Ace
  • 10 battles
Very nice read.  :honoring:

_Lindy_ #3 Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:05 PM

Feedback Airedale

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1905 battles
  • [5LINE] 5LINE
Very nice that should help some players out!

datum perficiemus munus

Azanthriel #4 Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1364 battles
Well written.   :honoring:

king_turk #5 Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I hope people who have heavy fighters read this post, very well written and very informing (for me becasue, i don't play heavy fighters.This gives a idea on how i can counter them )
I see many Heavy Fighters playing as a bomber and not actually going in the air and shooting down on the planes. very annoying when your in a pickle and actually need firepower

Edited by king_turk, 17 June 2013 - 04:41 PM.

Proud Member of LIGS join us in Mumble- fprq.murmur.nfoservers.com port 6010

Tactical_Blankie #6 Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:17 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [RMADA] RMADA
All i need to do in my T10 HF is fly flat and play chicken, once the first one is dead i go in for another round :)  Works very well XD

Pzart #7 Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:24 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 991 battles
  • [SNRK] SNRK
Agreed, very nice post. Covers all the basics and should help out new HF pilots a lot.

I guess the only thing I would add is the "bomb kill" tactic since many HF's bomb's have a huge explosion radius. I have a serious love / hate relationship with this tactic which is a great way to "clear your tail".

Plus, don't forget to ugrade your tail gunner if you have one! Every little bit helps. Particularly if it's a 20 MM...  :unsure:

Best,
Pzart

Rosebud #8 Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 11979 battles
  • [SICK] SICK
Well written and informative post.

Just a little trick that I've started to implement on my 110b is to remove the bombs altogether. The additional air speed makes all of the above tactics unbeatable. (except the part where you bomb of course) With the lack of bombs you will find that you can outrun most tier 5 planes and all tier 4's with ease.

bob34236 #9 Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:06 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Do tailgunners do any significant damage?

Heh #10 Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:19 PM

Sky Whale Historian

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View Postbob34236, on 18 June 2013 - 08:06 PM, said:

Do tailgunners do any significant damage?

Back when I played, my Moby's tailgun, Ivan, wiped out a skorca all alone, dealing 25% damage per interval since I know how to aim said tailgun. Since tailguns were worse than right now, I'd have to say yes, they do significant damage especially in the engines.
Heh - aeromarine biologist

View Posthahiha, on , said:

OMG Heh you have had so many posts O_O

wreckerpro #11 Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:09 AM

Village Curmudgeon

• Community Ace
  • 1399 battles
  • [VSW] VSW
I understand Alex's point.

However must say that with bombs on my HFs feel...... Well...... FFFFFAT. Fat as I am.

Rolling and climbing are noticeably worse for me and throws off my rhythm.

Excellent read Crash.

I hope new people read this and learn from it.

Chappowinner #12 Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:05 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3263 battles

View PostAlexVandross, on 17 June 2013 - 09:58 PM, said:

Also, the bombs are a defensive weapon, in many ways:

1. If you're finding yourself as the last hope, OR as the last GT kill capable craft on your team, and you're down by 5+ points.. you can hit a couple double targets for the team to keep the clock down.

2. You can use the bombs to get an air kill against a mob-like cluster of enemies coming after you.

3. You can combine 1 and 2 to form the 241 Special attack.... get your GT and the air kills.

Overall, I would rate this guide as an 8.5/10, very good work Crash.

After reading your 241 special attack post I thought id try next time I found myself in trouble with my BF110E (tier5 with 500kg bombs I think).

Had 3 fighters on my tail, I was on the deck speeding away realised that once my engines were on fire/destroyed I had no hope, dropped my bombs and after I did so I was killed, the planes chasing me were too close by this stage, my bombs took out all 3... much to my amusement :)

Back OT, great guide and good tips, enjoying the heavy fighters so hopefully put these tips into some more practice.

Is the tierX german heavy fighter actually any good? or am I wasting my time?
Aces since release - BF109B, BF109E, BF109F, BF109Z, I16(e), I-15bis DM-2, BF110B, BF110C-6, Bristol Beaufighter, Mosquito

shwedor #13 Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:33 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 1789 battles

View PostChappowinner, on 19 June 2013 - 02:05 AM, said:

After reading your 241 special attack post I thought id try next time I found myself in trouble with my BF110E (tier5 with 500kg bombs I think).

Had 3 fighters on my tail, I was on the deck speeding away realised that once my engines were on fire/destroyed I had no hope, dropped my bombs and after I did so I was killed, the planes chasing me were too close by this stage, my bombs took out all 3... much to my amusement :)

Back OT, great guide and good tips, enjoying the heavy fighters so hopefully put these tips into some more practice.

Is the tierX german heavy fighter actually any good? or am I wasting my time?

I wouldn't use Vandross's suggestions he posted if I were you.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe your engines were on fire and destroyed because you mounted bombs which made yourself an easy target? Gimping a heavy fighter with bombs is about the dumbest thing to do in this game in my opinion. While you may get lucky once in a blue moon and kill one or two new players with bombs, the entire strategy is dependent on your opponent being terrible, not-yet-adapted, or off guard. Have I died to bombs being dropped from behind? A few times, mostly after new patches are released which change the timers. After maybe one death after a new patch I don't die again to them. You will notice that none of the great pilots in this game such as Kird, Oberst Nu, Trexnine, Zipstor, or CrashTailSpin typically carry bombs on their planes because they know it just ruins the heavy fighters.
Not a poser P51A troll but around 145+ games, 90% win rate, too many to count kills.
Overall: 2300+ games, 85% win rate, 5.3k+ air kills
Potato Team Member - (1st place in all Air Raids and North American tournaments)

http://forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/topic/4478-wargaming-na-for-wowp-completely-incompetent/#entry79586

wreckerpro #14 Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:35 AM

Village Curmudgeon

• Community Ace
  • 1399 battles
  • [VSW] VSW
Currently the HGIII is a monster BNZ.

This is another plane that's gone up and down through the patches.

CrashTailspin #15 Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:09 AM

Squadron Lead / Wargaming Stunt Pilot

• Senior Alpha Test Veteran
  • 6242 battles
With reference to tail gunner's effectiveness:

This is dependent on a number of variables.  Things like range to the enemy, enemy type and tier, rear weapon caliber, if you or the enemy is maneuvering, etc. all factor into how much damage a rear gunner delivers.  Typically, the best situation for a tail gunner to deal maximum damage is when you're in a steady-state high-pitch climb, the enemy is relatively close (within ~500ft and NOT hitting you), and not maneuvering much as well.  However, this position leaves you precariously close to  being shot down by the pursuer.  As a rule, I don't rely on my tail gunner to kill enemy aircraft.  If they do some damage, that's great.  If they even get a kill, all the better.  But compared to your frontal firepower, the tail gun is just an added bonus.

With reference to using bombs as a defensive weapon:

We need to go back to the Heavy Fighter's main assets:  Speed, Boost Duration, and Climb Rate.  All of these assets take a serious hit when external ordinance is carried.  While the aircraft statistics aren't "set in stone" numbers, they give a good representation as to what happens to an aircraft's performance when bombs are equipped:

Messerschmitt Bf.110B

STATISTIC.............................CLEAN........SC250 X2...............PERFORMANCE LOSS
Max Airspeed @ SL.................. 307 mph ....... 285 mph ........................ 22 mph
Max Airspeed @ Optimum Alt......... 342 mph ....... 317 mph ........................ 25 mph
Rate of Climb .................... 96.7 fps ...... 82.6 fps ...................... 14.1 fps

Avg. time to turn 360 deg ........ 29.9 sec ...... 33.6 sec ....................... 3.7 sec
Controllability .................. 89 ............ 78 ............................ 11

Messerschmitt Bf.110E

STATISTIC.............................CLEAN........SC500 X2............PERFORMANCE LOSS
Max Airspeed @ SL.................. 306 mph ....... 273 mph .................... 33 mph
Max Airspeed @ Optimum Alt......... 350 mph ....... 312 mph .................... 38 mph
Rate of Climb ................... 108.9 fps ...... 84.3 fps .................. 24.6 fps

Avg. time to turn 360 deg ........ 33.9 sec ...... 41.5 sec ................... 7.6 sec

Controllability................... 89 ............ 73 ........................ 16

As you can see, equipping external ordinance has a significant effect on performance, and gets worse as the ordinance gets heavier.  Not only does it effect the aircraft's ability to climb to a preferrable attack altitude, but also restricts the ability of a Heavy Fighter to climb away from a potential threat.  Also, it reduces the aircraft's maneuverability, slowing down its turn rate and reducing the aircraft's controllability (effectiveness of the controls to instantaneous movement).  This "double gimp" can easily reduce the Heavy Fighter to a Heavy Target.

Attempting to keep a bomb on-board as a "just in case" defensive weapon is simply not the best idea.  If you wish to attack ground targets, then by all means, attack ground targets.  But remember, any additional ordinance carried on the airframe will reduce all of the characteristics that give the Heavy Fighter its strengths.

Also, the "Defensive Bomb Kill" is a very situation-dependent maneuver.  It requires several things to happen:
  • At least one enemy on your tail and relatively close (~500ft or closer, depending on the bomb carried)
  • Relatively close to the ground (so the bomb will impact and the resulting explosion will destroy the pursuer(s) )
  • A flight path that the enemy pursuer(s) will be able to follow into the bomb blast

This guide was created to provide tactics in which players could use them in nearly every situation, not just one specific situation.  Effective piloting comes from a strong basis of knowledge, and that comes from a solid foundation and understanding of overall tactics, rather than specific scenarios.

Final thought - the Bf.110G-2's (up-engined 110E) maximum loaded weight was approximately 17,158lbs.  This included any external munitions, such as a pair of SC500 bombs (500 x 2.2 x 2 = 2,200lbs).  Reducing the maximum weight by 2,200lbs amounts to a nearly 13% weight reduction.  Without going into multi-engine performance characteristics, suffice to say that a 13% reduction in weight is HUGE.

You must not question "The Forum Laws".  Any questioning of "The Forum Laws" results in automatic removal and / or locking of any post, regardless of the level of constructiveness or thought provocation.

Toggle #16 Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:18 AM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 23709 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
To carry or not to carry....  It all comes down to personal preference.  I know many pilots who carry rockets, bombs or both and use them efficiently.  I prefer leaving the hangar clean.  For me, this works best but it does deny me the occasional laughing at the guy who let me BK him or being cussed out by said guy. (That makes me laugh even harder)

Edit:
Great post as always, Crash.

And a great read through the rest of the post as well.

Edited by Toggle, 19 June 2013 - 08:20 AM.

RebelEagle #17 Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1329 battles
Very Nice Read Crash!!! :teethhappy:
Very Informative!!!! :playing:
:honoring:

In God We Trust ; All Others We Monitor!!!:sceptic::playing::honoring:

wreckerpro #18 Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:57 AM

Village Curmudgeon

• Community Ace
  • 1399 battles
  • [VSW] VSW
I fixed the neg when I saw it. That's Probly why.

Also mine is a statement personal preference.

Wasnt debating the validity of what you said.

shwedor #19 Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:31 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 1789 battles

View PostAlexVandross, on 21 June 2013 - 08:43 AM, said:

That was freaking hilarious too wasn't it?

Like I said.. and I got negged for it (which didn't last)... Crash wrote a very good guide.. I just pointed out the misconceptions of telling people to NEVER carry them.. or to drop them instantly.

You obviously know not what you're talking about..  Even Zipstor and Kird die to bombs. Also, who said behind is the only way to drop a bomb?

The point I was making is: do what you're comfortable... not what anyone tells you to do. The bombs are good, but they weigh you down a bit. Not nearly as much as in fighters, but they do. However, you can kill 3+ people with a single bomb. You can kill 2-3 ground targets with a single bomb.

Also, in Update 4.3, once you drop the bombs.. you get max performance back. Not so with rockets, but with bombs  I have tested this.  THIS MAY CHANGE.

Yes.. a reduction in weight IS huge.. but if you're already laden with them.. TRY to his a GT or an airplane.. don't just waste it. That would be like saying "go ahead and minimize your performance.. you don't need the speed/maneuvering of NOT loading them"...

You were correct in labeling the characteristics with and without. That lets them be able to decide whether it's worth it to them for the slight loss (~10-13%) of performance.

However, in this update.. bombs dropped restore the performance. Check it yourself.. slide the slider to 0/2 on the bombs.. see the racks/shackles are still there... In the future, they will likely fix that..

Again.. it should be their choice on if they load it. if they follow your guide, they shouldn't have them at all. If they follow the effective dogfighting and ordnance use methods I outlined long ago... they might want them... and then IF they are carrying bombs for GT's.. NEVER EVER EVER let tell someone to tell you to waste the bombs on open water for any other reason than if the extra turning/speed will actually help. If it's an equal speed aircraft, or one that's too close to you.. bomb killing is the best option, not wasting a bomb that won't positively affect your situation. So, yes.. you are correct in that very manner..  every load out you choose is situational.

Exactly, Toggle. It's really a preference/skill>reward decision. Can you use them effectively? Then load them... if you can't, don't.

Hey, if you think Zipstor, Kird, and the rest of the best die to bombs feel free to offer to 1v1 them. I'm sure they will be up for annihilating you, will make a good video as evidence against mounting bombs. In fact, I'd guess that the whole Potato team would be up for annihilating bomb burdened LIGS some night, but I would have to talk to them more about a friendly team vs. team gig. I mean, how else can you really prove your tactics to be effective or ineffective than in a competitive environment?
Not a poser P51A troll but around 145+ games, 90% win rate, too many to count kills.
Overall: 2300+ games, 85% win rate, 5.3k+ air kills
Potato Team Member - (1st place in all Air Raids and North American tournaments)

http://forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/topic/4478-wargaming-na-for-wowp-completely-incompetent/#entry79586

Heh #20 Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:37 PM

Sky Whale Historian

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View Postshwedor, on 21 June 2013 - 08:31 PM, said:

Hey, if you think Zipstor, Kird, and the rest of the best die to bombs feel free to offer to 1v1 them. I'm sure they will be up for annihilating you, will make a good video as evidence against mounting bombs. In fact, I'd guess that the whole Potato team would be up for annihilating bomb burdened LIGS some night, but I would have to talk to them more about a friendly team vs. team gig. I mean, how else can you really prove your tactics to be effective or ineffective than in a competitive environment?

I have only disabled aces like Nu with a bomb when bomb killing was a forgotten art. When it went mainstream on my end, never did a single alpha ace got bomb killed by Moby.
Heh - aeromarine biologist

View Posthahiha, on , said:

OMG Heh you have had so many posts O_O

Also tagged with midtier, heavy, fighter, success, aircraft, 110, 210, 410, 109Z

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users