Best joystick?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

MGFranks #1 Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:27 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I didn't some searching and didn't find this. If I missed it, I apologize.

What's the best joystick or joystick/throttle? I don't necessarily mean best overall, but best in this game: most stable, least problems, best supported, etc.

TIA

Old_Man_Zen #2 Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
It's not like the 80's when there were 200 different joysticks out there. Game controllers have hacked the joystick market considerably in the last 20 years so there are fewer options available.

Basically, joysticks for the game fit in one of 3 categories:

1) Older joystick (MS Sidewinder for instance) with a USB plug.

2) New joysticks, basic configuration (fighter stick)

3) New joysticks, advanced configuration (civilian stick)

I have 2 of the old Sidewinder II joysticks and I love them. You can probably still get one on eBay somewhere, or at a flea market/garage sale/thrift store. These work perfectly with the game, have zero issues with programming and are very solid performers.

The Logitech 3D Pro is a cheap joystick in category 2 that many here use. I dont personally like it, but at under $30 in some places it is a bargain. The CH Fighterstick joystick is a much nicer (and more expensive) option. The Thrustmaster T-1600 is a nice stick as well, better quality than the Logitech but has limited buttons on the stick itself.

In category 3 we have HOTAS style sticks, separate throttle and stick configurations. Saitek has this category pretty well locked up in terms of quality but they are very expensive. The Saitek X52 goes for about $140-150 with the separate throttle control. These are worth every penny, but out of reach for many casual gamers (like myself). I purchased a Thrustmaster HOTAS X setup for about $50 that works really well with the game. Buttons program easily and throttle is smooth and clean.

So....if you have an old USB joystick, that will work great. If not, there are some cheap options available at your local Best Buy or Walmart. If you want to go full tilt boogie, the Saitek is the best choice.

Sidewinder II
http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B00005NIMA

CH Fighterstick
http://www.amazon.co...B/dp/B00006B84X

Saitek HOTAS X52
http://www.amazon.co...aitek HOTAS X52

Thrustmaster HOTAS X
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16879337003

RebelEagle #3 Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
It's not like the 80's when there were 200 different joysticks out there. Game controllers have hacked the joystick market considerably in the last 20 years so there are fewer options available.
I have a logitech 3D Pro ; For the seriousness of this game it is perfect!; But their are people who would spend  $100-300Dollars for the enjoymentof a win!(To each his own I suppose). :playing:
:honoring:

In God We Trust ; All Others We Monitor!!!:sceptic::playing::honoring:

209 #4 Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I have a logitech wingman extreme digital 3D that i have had for a few years now. Anybody have any expereince with this joystick?

MGFranks #5 Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:12 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Thanks much for the responses so far.

After reading some more here I began to get the impression that Xbox-style controllers were better supported I realize it's beta, and early-days, and it's understandable that some controller code is more mature than others. So which is better-supported right now, joysticks or Xbox-style controllers?

Lightning61 #6 Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:38 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View Post209, on 03 June 2013 - 09:38 PM, said:

I have a logitech wingman extreme digital 3D that i have had for a few years now. Anybody have any expereince with this joystick?

i'm currently using mine with no serious issues, (other than it's very old and worn and throttle axis needs to be inverted in controller setup), thus far.

KnightsCrossPanzerAce #7 Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I am using a Logitech extreme3Dpro and I like the multiple button options and built in throttle control.  Does anyone know the optimum settings for this joystick for best game performance?  I have tried several tweaks of the settings and still have some delay and over sensitive at times. Currently, I have the first setting at x + 7, with all the rest at zero. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sergei_Smirnov #8 Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:15 AM

Senior Airman

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
For a starter Flight Stick, the Logitech Wingman 3D Pro is a great purchase.  $30 nets you an all-in-one Stick, Throttle-Slide, and Twisting Z-Axis (alternative to pedals).  It's a solid plastic build and has a good number of programmable buttons.  Basically, everything you need to get in the air.

For the truly best, be-all, end-all Flight Stick, the Thrustmaster A-10C Warthog HOTAS paired with Rudder Pedals tops the cake.  Nothing out there even begins to compare to it as far as quality or functionality.

kelhem #9 Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:08 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I started out with the logitech force feedback stick and had major control problems, wouldn't hold steady and when you fired it dipped and dived, Upgraded to the logitech extreme 3D pro and now have better control of aircraft and it does what I want to do

CaptToshiro #10 Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:10 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
So, Extreme 3D Pro joystick is highly recommanded to control the aircraft? According to Logitech information, I need to install Adobe Acrobat Reader. However, I already have that in my laptop. Is there anything else I need to know before I could get 3D Pro joystick?

Bad_Neko #11 Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:46 PM

Airman Basic

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
I have my old Sidewinder somewhere, but it was one of the really old ones that required the big plug-in game controller port...no USB adapter.
I'm using one of the cheapo Logitech Extreme 3D pro's, and love it for what it is.

FreeFOXMIKE #12 Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:19 PM

G.A.T.P. (Global Alpha Test Pilot)

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
best thing go to the store many will let you try them see what fits your hand remember you may be at this for extended  periods if time it no go if the stick make you hand hurt.

try out the good well stores I got two JS for ten bucks (make sure you test them at the testing center go to the setting and check the calibration)
then if you see of find one you really like get it new if you can (note I have been using my goodwells for over 60 days now)

but the main thing get what fits ,or feels good in your hand.

then get the latest drivers updates and have a blast

Edited by FreeFOXMIKE, 29 June 2013 - 10:20 PM.

IndygoEEI #13 Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:22 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles

View PostCaptToshiro, on 26 June 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

So, Extreme 3D Pro joystick is highly recommanded to control the aircraft? According to Logitech information, I need to install Adobe Acrobat Reader. However, I already have that in my laptop. Is there anything else I need to know before I could get 3D Pro joystick?

Yes it is.  It was in fact used in Focus Group Test as WG's stick of choice...

Sergei_Smirnov #14 Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

Senior Airman

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles

View PostCaptToshiro, on 26 June 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure it only lists Adobe for some of the included documentation, but Adobe is pretty much a PC necessity anyway.  The stick includes a CD with some software, but honestly, it should just be plug-and-play.  It's very user-friendly.  If I were you, I'd be sure to calibrate the stick just to be sure, but it should work right out of the box.

JarethG #15 Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:17 PM

Eclectic Dragon

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
I personally use the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, and find it to be great.   The only issue I have ever had is when firing, sometimes the guns will stop, but that has happened even using mouse or space bar, so I think it is more a game issue than a joystick issue.

Member of DirtyDozen! www.dirtydozengaming.com/
Director of WoWp FRAG! ACE: F4U, Bf 110B, Bf 110E

Drmurda #16 Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:38 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Thrustmaster best master Go big or go home!  :tongue:

BlueSol #17 Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:25 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Logitech Extreme 3D Pro for me.  Did have an old MS Sidewinder, but it was past its years of use.

I initially struggled with calibration, but after trying out a pre-built joystick.xml file (on this same forum) that reduces the overall sensitivity, I'm quite happy.

Blue

Pogo68 #18 Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:56 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
The Ch Fighterstick is probably the best, most value ot cost stick you can find.
It's fairly rugged, stable, and precise stick you can find.
I just wish they made a throttle to go with it.

fallanger #19 Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:10 AM

Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
I have an ancient sidewinder and used it extensively with the old IL2 game and loved it, contrary to popular thought, the joystick is actually harder at first to master, but it overs more rewards in all axis, where the mouse and keyboard just do not. I play keyboard now, because of random glitches with the old sidewinder but if I had my way it would be that old beast. I retired my thrustmaster long ago and gave it away, I nearly broke it. lol.

hope you can find a decent stick,

Cheers...

fallanger.

StockerXray #20 Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:21 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Zombie thread...