[Tutorial] So you wanna stream your gameplay?

Streaming Open Broadcast

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

SkywhaleExpress #1 Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
I was approached with a request to make a step by step tutorial on how to set up a stream. I myself just learned how to use a free software called Open Broadcast Software, which is still in Beta, but works awesome. I use twich.tv as my channel web page, because it is also free, for it's basic videos.

NOTE: you will want to have at least a 1GB GDDR3 or better Video card AND 6-8 GB of DDR3 RAM 1333 MHz or better, for best results while streaming WoWP. This is mainly due to WoWP being a big memory hog right now... ESPECIALLY in video card utilization.

Step 1: Join a live stream web host site.

a) For this tutorial, I will be sticking with Twitch TV

b) sign up for Twitch TV. You can join for free, with commercials, or you can pay a small fee to have uninterrupted streaming, along with more options, which I haven't explored yet, but will be.

c) navigate to your Dashboard, and click on Streaming Apps. Then Click on Show Key.

d) Copy this key, and DO NOT SHARE IT. If you do, then you're responsible for whatever someone else does with your stream channel. However, if you CAN trust the person, then it could help to have a clan all stream on the same channel. This is a RISKYsubject, and you are subject and accountable for any violations/illegal activity that may happen. I don't think I need to go any further than that...

[attachment=10418:Twitch1.jpg]
[attachment=10419:Twitch2.jpg]
[attachment=10420:Twitch3.jpg]

Step 2: Download a video Capture App WITH streaming capabilities.

a) For this, I am recommending Open Broadcast Software, which is free, and actually uses less system resources than most other software based ones. Unless you have the cash to buy an actual video capture card with software to boot, thisis the easiest way to go.

b) Download and install Open Broadcast Software.

Step 3: Configuring Open Broadcast Software Beta 0.5.2

a)  If you have about 30 minutes, this video will show you exactly how to to set up your OBS ANDhow to make sure you're not uploading at too high a bit rate. He takes you to a site called TestMy.net to test your actual upload speed. This is a browswer based test, so it doesn't use flash optimization, which shows your max capabile upload/download, but your average upload is slower.

Note: I am still working on getting a good bit rate that gives less video distortion, but I'm gettin' close.

b) If you want the two minute quick and dirt 7 step screenshots....

[attachment=10422:OBS1.jpg]

[attachment=10423:OBS2.jpg]

[attachment=10424:OBS3.jpg]

[attachment=10425:OBS4.jpg]

[attachment=10426:OBS5.jpg]

[attachment=10427:OBS 6.jpg]

[attachment=10428:OBS 7.jpg]

Enjoy...I'm off to sleep..

Edited by AlexVandross, 01 May 2013 - 04:53 PM.

Air Raid 8 Champions - BrushFyre

MIA - pappabear

DrSinister #2 Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 128 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostAlexVandross, on 01 May 2013 - 02:53 PM, said:

a)  If you have about 30 minutes, this video will show you exactly how to to set up your OBS AND how to make sure you're not uploading at too high a bit rate. He takes you to a site called TestMy.net to test your actual upload speed. This is a browswer based test, so it doesn't use flash optimization, which shows your max capabile upload/download, but your average upload is slower.

Alex you say in this part:
"If you have about 30 minutes, this video will show you exactly how to set up your OBS."  So where is the video?

hathore #3 Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:56 AM

Captain

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
Very nice, Alexx- this will be very helpful to a lot of people (including myself)!

/pinned!

Thank you!

~Hathore

Aleffewmo #4 Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:11 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
You may want to edit this slightly.

Streaming requires a strong CPU as the encoding is very CPU intensive (provided you don't have a capture card). Graphics has very little to do with the actual encoding process.

Animalhawk #5 Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:47 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I think I am going to use this software to just try and improve my gameplay here on Wargaming.net

I just stumbled upon a 1 terabyte hard drive and cannot think of better usage for it than recording videos of gameplay too.

Thanks for passing along this software

GoodGameXXX #6 Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:36 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Can you transfer Twitch TV saves to a Youtube channel?

shortalay #7 Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:50 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Hey guys! My name is shortalay on Youtube, I noticed this thread and wanted to say something. OBS is very good at livestreaming and you can even customize it to show your webcam and choose where to put it, put any links in your videos like your twitter and Facebook or channel. (Though there not clickable) This basically replaces Xsplit for free and its open source so you can go into the coding and modify it if you need to. What I really like besides the livestream capability is that you can even choose to save your videos to a file through the settings in the broadcast section and then edit that so you can make Youtube Videos! Also of note is that this software doesn't put an annoying watermark in your videos or use any copyrighted material! Not unlike EZvid and Bandicam! Have fun guys and thanks for posting this incredible software to the masses!

shortalay #8 Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostAlexVandross, on 18 June 2013 - 12:05 AM, said:

I think you can even download them, somehow. I just dunno. Might need to be paying member of twitch to do it. I haven't figured how to edit them when they email me to edit.
Guys you don't have to be a Premium member to do that! All you have to do is get to your Twitch's Dashboard, select the past recorded video of your choosing, then make a highlight of it, once you make a highlight out of it you can choose to post it on Youtube! To make a highlight you have to choose a section of the video that you want on Youtube and save it, for more info Google it or look on Youtube! Just remember that Youtube has a 15 minute limit for videos unless your sponsored or willing to pay to increase that cap to 30 minutes or more, so keep your highlights to 10-15 minutes and then just make a part 2 or 3 to continue the action if what your trying to show is that big!
Have A nice day guys and my name on Youtube is shortalay!

Roy_McMullet #9 Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:49 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4 battles

Being a complete noob at this;

Start to finish, including fine tuning and playing with settings, I spent around 90 minutes and I was up-and-running.

Probably more fine tuning to do, but I dunno if I'll even use it.  At least the option is there if I wanna, I guess.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users